As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alien Shooter: Vengeance - 1st, guns. 2nd, Diablo. 3rd, profit.

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Start out in the first level in a heavily armored jeep with a mini-gun running over and shooting hundreds of aliens? Check.

8 characters to choose from (4 male, 4 female) each with their own starting equipment & statistics? Check.

5 different weapon types (Handgun, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Exotic/Energy) with dozens of weapons to choose from? Check.

Enough ammo that you can actually use a freakin' rocket launcher as your primary weapon? Check.

Increase your power by buying and finding more expensive weapons, upgrading around a dozen character stats as you gain experience points, and utilizing cybernetic implants, battle droids, and other accessories? Check.

Choose 1 unique upgradeable stat to give your character at the beginning of the game out of 8 with options like Vampiric (Gain Health as you kill enemies), Hypnotic (charm weaker enemies to fight for you), and Fists (very powerful melee attack)? Check.

A 15 stage campaign mode, multiplayer options, and survival mode? Check.

Multiple difficulty levels that provide a great challenge even on the easier modes? Check.

Plenty of secrets to search for in each level? Check.

Appropriately cheesy rock music? Check.

Affordable $20 price tag? Check.

One of the most cliche game title in videogame history? Check.

A deep involving story that will require multiple playthroughs to fully understand? Um, it pleads the 5th.

I just finished the first two missions in the demo (I got it at http://www.fangaming.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=596&gameid=212) and I must say that it impressed me. 1 part arcade game, 1 part hack & slash RPG (although I guess run & gun would be a more apt term), it's all good fun. Yeah, the graphics aren't phenomenal, but they're pretty nice for a budget title. Only real problem I ran into was that the load time to start a level is abnormally long; we're talking 40 some seconds on my respectably powerful computer. Other than that, it ran very smoothly, controls great, and it was enough fun that I spent a good hour or two messing around with different character builds and searching for secrets and plan on picking up the full retail version ASAP.

Screenshots you ask? Sure thing.

s29928_pc_1.jpgs29928_pc_15.jpg

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I see this game getting a cult following on these boards.

What hath Gabe wrought?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I gave the survival mode that was unlocked in the demo a try. Plays like Crimsonland, but better IMO. You only have 6 stats to worry about (Life, Life Regen, Running Speed, Accuracy, Firing Rate, and Armor) plus your weapons. Each LV-up gives you 3 5-point boosts to allocate to your stats plus allows you to upgrade a weapon of your choice. So far, I've found choosing one weapon to focus on plus the occassional point in grenade/rocket launchers works well for me. I chose to focus on pistols and at the end of the demo levels, I had a pistol that was dealing close to 300 points of damage a shot.

Occasionally the enemies drop special items like a Freeze-All item that turns every enemy on screen to blocks of ice which shatter into a million pieces when shot. Oh and I like how your running speed increases when your facing the same direction that you're running; adds a nice bit of realism and strategy.

Curse being snowed in and not being able to go search for a copy of the real game!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doesn't this game use starforce? Or am I thinking of something else?

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A response to the Starforce question by a moderator on the company's website for the game:

"Alien Shooter/Vengeance will use "SecuROM" as Starforce is being phased out of CDV products while we migrate to other copyprotection like secuROM and Tages.. So...get the game ordered and have fun!!!"

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Right now I hate my archaic PIII 933 machine.

Well, I guess I hate it regardless. I just hate it more intensely.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    What's the system requirements?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I haven't been able to find anywhere that actually says the system requirements. All of the reviews I've seen say that it's very low and given the old-school graphics (I think 1024x768 is the max resolution), I can't imagine the requirements being very high at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it would run on your P3-933MHz system Jihad, though I would definitely try out the demo first to be sure.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lately I've been having trouble dealing with Diablo II, so I've got a pretty low opinion of its capabilities at the moment. I think a portion of my RAM may be on the fritz too, which would probably be enough to kill this dinosaur.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are the big torpedo tyrannosaurus looking things invincible? I shot at least 50 grenades and they didn't die.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are the big torpedo tyrannosaurus looking things invincible? I shot at least 50 grenades and they didn't die.

Nope, not invulnerable. They just take a truckload of damage to hurt. Using the car with the minigun that you start next to helps alot (just walk into the car to use it and use the spacebar to exit it).

So far, I'm actually rather impressed with the game. I expected a near Diablo clone, but the game does incorporate some elements which I rather enjoyed. The ability to use WASD keys to move instead of point and click was quite surprising and very welcome in an isometric game (it certainly makes backpedaling frantically alot easier).

I think that the only thing that worries me is the rather limited selection of weapons that was included in the demo. I like my RPG's to have a nice selection of equipment available.

Other than that though, it looks quite promising. If the price is indeed fairly affordable, I'll probably pick up a copy.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's fun, though I ran into slowdown when tons of missiles and aliens were onscreen at once, and the load times are atrocious.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just got off a session with the demo, and I'll corroberate other testimonies to the game's qualities. One thing to say, though, is to not let the screenshots fool you - you're definetily going to be needing a bit of beefy hardware under the hood if you want to enjoy this in all its graphical, er, "splendor", as I was hitting some low framerates even on the lowest settings with my MX 4000. Diablo-level requirements there ain't.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, is anyone else thinking that this'd work out awesome on the Wii? Or is that just some kind of knee-jerk reaction everybody might be getting at this point?

EDIT, PART TWO: And I managed to snag some "recomended" specs for running it:

Operating System: Windows® 2000/XP
    Processor: 2.4 GHz CPU
    Memory: 512 MB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 0.5 GB available
    Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5700 / ATI Radeon 9600 or better ATI or nVidia video card with 128MB video memory
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c or better compatible sound card
    Input: Windows Compatible Keyboard and Mouse

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Wow. Just tried out the pulse rifle. That thing is just downright nasty. Fast rate of fire and high damage. The only drawback is the size of the magazine, and how often you have to reload it.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think that the only thing that worries me is the rather limited selection of weapons that was included in the demo. I like my RPG's to have a nice selection of equipment available.

Did you check out the store at the beginning of the second mission? Looked like it was selling around a dozen weapons in each of the five categories. And despite the fact that there are only 5 categories of weapons, individual weapons within a single category can vary drastically. For example, the first energy weapon in Survival mode is a rapid fire, low accuracy gun with infinite ammo whereas the second weapon is a high power, low speed laser gun.
    Other than that though, it looks quite promising. If the price is indeed fairly affordable, I'll probably pick up a copy.

Amazon.com & Gamestop.com both have it for $20.

I can see the control scheme working well on the Wii - not necessarily better than the PC control, but probably better than a traditional controller.

And I just spent way too much time on the demo's survival mode. As far as I can tell, maxing Pistols is the best way to go early on. Once you get the Desert Eagle (60-80 Damage, High Accuracy), it's smooth sailing and it just gets better from there. Shotgun is pretty mediocre in comparison (I can only assume that it gets better later on when you have the opportunity to pump more upgrades into it). Energy Weapons & Grenade/Rocket launchers are decent although by the time you can get their second upgrades, the demo is either over or almost over. Assault Rifles seem to fall into the Shotgun problem - I'm guessing in the full game when you have more than 2 levels to play, they'll prove worthwhile later on.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Seems neat.

The security robots worked me over pretty good.

Seems a good speed rating will be very important.

I hope we see more games in this style. Fuck games where I need a 600 video card to play it in all its glory.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I played the demo a little more this morning (I'm snowed in otherwise I'd go look for a full version of the game). I found some interesting things.

One, I was wrong to discount assault rifles in survival mode. Yeah, the first couple ones you get are awfully weak, but before long they get good enough that you can use them as your main weapon. In fact, I'd say they're probably better than the pistol due to their rapid-fire nature (although if you focus on pistols, their damage ratings get up to crazy levels before too long).

Also for kicks, I tried out a character who focused on boxing. Surprisingly enough, it turned out to be a very effective build in the second level of the demo (first level doesn't really count since you're in a vehicle the whole time). The key is to pick a character with expensive equipment (the fourth female merc works nicely) and then sell all of your guns at the beginning of the second level and use the money you get to buy good cybernetic implants, armor, med kits, and whatever else you think will prove useful. If you put all your skill points in boxing, your fists become quite powerful: by the end of level 2, I was dealing nearly 300 points of damage a hit (and the speed of attack is pretty high).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't see any weapon proficiencies in Survival mode. Just rate of fire and accuracy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm, I poked my head in here once earlier, and wasn't too impressed with the concept. I figured it was basically diablo with different graphics. The Crimsonland comment along with "survival mode" hooked me.

This game looks amazing. I'll have to find it around somewhere, and I even get paid today! Of course, demo first, as always.

Looks like it's throwing some of my favorite styles of games together in one mix. RPG, surviving swarms of enemies, arcadey action. I'm in! I just have to convince my other half that it's a worthwhile investment.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    megabytemegabyte Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Played it a bit, not impressed. Not convinced this is a shill, but this is probably not deserving of its on thread.

megabyte on
    b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    megabyte wrote: »
    Played it a bit, not impressed. Not convinced this is a shill, but this is probably not deserving of its on thread.

O....k.

Edit: Your signature explains alot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    How is it not deserving of a thread?

It's not like we have a "budget pc games" megathread lying around.

JJ on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This looks pretty fun. Is it possible to buy this over the web or do I have to get my arse to a brick and mortar store?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't see any weapon proficiencies in Survival mode. Just rate of fire and accuracy.

Yeah, there aren't any weapon proficiencies in survival mode. However, each LV-up you have the opportunity to pick one new weapon. Each time you pick a weapon of the same type, it allows you to pick the next weapon of that type next LV-up assuming you have a high enough level. For example, trying to focus on the shotgun in the demo doesn't really work since the LV requirements for the better shotguns are compartively high whereas there are good pistols with low LV requirements so focusing on pistols early on is a valid strategy.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You can buy and download the full version online at their site.

Since it was mentioned, and it's always worth bringing up, Crimsonland is another cheapass game that's pretty fantastic. Sure, you could beat the mission mode in just a day or two, but you'll never stop coming back to the survival mode. It's a great time waster when your internet connection croaks.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    megabytemegabyte Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    megabyte wrote: »

O....k.

Edit: Your signature explains alot.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but the crusader series did this concept many years ago, admittedly without the RPG elements. The game never claimed to be an original or interesting concept, but it does offer a variety of features not seen the genre before, or I should say elements never before seen in one game of the genre. Everything considered, I'm still not impressed. I can provide further evidence, but I'm not going to hold hands here and say this game is amazing when it's not. Just being honest.
    JJ wrote: »
    How is it not deserving of a thread?

It's not like we have a "budget pc games" megathread lying around.

Then why not start one?

megabyte on
    b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    megathreads be banned now.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    You can buy and download the full version online at their site.

You sure about that? I checked and though I saw the original game there (no clue if it's any good), I didn't see Alien Shooter: Vengeance.
    megabyte wrote:
    Not trying to rain on the parade, but the crusader series did this concept many years ago, admittedly without the RPG elements.

And without the RPG elements, I would agree that the game wouldn't be anything particularly special. With the RPG elements, it rocks. Yeah, there are other Action/RPGs out there, but they almost inevitably feature fantasy worlds and easy gameplay systems. The fact that this game features a sci-fi/horror setting and fast paced twitch arcade action really sets it apart. The only other game that I can think of with a similar style is Crimsonland which is a great game, but AS: Vengeance features noticeably better visuals & a much more sophisticated story mode.

I love RPGs. I love horror games. I love Robotron-style arcade games. This game combines three of my favorite genres into a single game and does a fine job at it. Of course, I'm going to be excited.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Trying to find a retail copy of this, but so far, EBGamestop's website does not show it as having arrived, and I don't want to spend $7 in shipping for a $20 game.

What the hell, I might go hit the local store tonight, anyway. Still need to get the Dark Crusade expansion for DoW.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Shit, this game is fun. Survival mode is fucking wonderful.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just go my hands on that. Arcade fun at it's best, I know it's stupid, but for the first 15 minutes I kept thinking Smash TV all over again.....I can't quiet recommend it enough, I haven't had so much fun on the PC since Expendable.
    Also, that game is just CRYING for coop multiplayer on the same machine Why, oh why didn't they implement it?;o(

zeeny on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They should bring this out on XBLA, it was made for games like this :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Picked up a copy a short while ago. Its alot of fun. I just wish the campaign was longer, but at least there's still the challenge of survival mode I suppose.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »
    They should bring this out on XBLA, it was made for games like this :)

Oh, it better................it better.

devolve on
    detriot.png