As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sources reveal THQ cancelled Marvel [Avengers] FPS game

Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
It has been revealed the THQ's former Australian studios, THQ Australia and Blue Tounge studios were working on a game based on the upcoming Marvel Avengers film. Unlike most superhero games, this was to be an FPS brawler. Leaked gameplay shows players controlling either Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man through levels against enemies, mostly different types of Super-Skrulls. Full article with videos can be found here:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/09/what-was-thq-brisbane-working-on-before-the-studio-closed/

Of course this wouldn't have been the FPS superhero game as the commercial Quake mod "X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse" holds the Guiness World record for the first ever superhero FPS game.

Victory63 on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    It looks terrible. No wonder it was cancelled.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Well that vid was pulled fast, I didn't even get to see it.

I wonder if that means the movie is dealing with the skrulls

• Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    gunwarrior wrote:
    Well that vid was pulled fast, I didn't even get to see it.

I wonder if that means the movie is dealing with the skrulls

That's probably why it was pulled. Most sources about the film don't mention that the enemy is the Skrulls. Although it's possible Skrulls aren't the main enemy and just something extra which in the video games which the films don't have like previous Marvel film tie-in games.

Victory63 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Woo, it's been rumored that the movie will be about the skrulls, I guess this confirms it. Blech.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. A movie this big, and either no tie in or a tie in that is going to be rushed.. that kinda sucks. Then again, most tie-ins suck, so...

And as much as this thread is a massive potential spoiler (or, at least, it might be), I really hope that this isn't the plot. I like the idea of taking everything the previous movies had established and using that, and the skrulls, as I know them, were not established in the lead-up movies. Do they tie in to Asgard or something like that? No, really, I have no clue if they come from one of the other planets in that cosmology, and I think that would be the only way to pull off introducing them. Doubly so when you consider Loki's in this.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Eh, I wouldn't say that confirms movie skrulls at all, the cap america game, for instance, had settings and villains not included in the movie.

The tie-in for the movie should just be another marvel ultimate alliance style game, but I think Raven is too busy making COD maps :/

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Skrulls are in the movie. There are set photos of sci-fi laser guns and dudes in motion tracking suits holding these weapons fighting Cap.

Arguably, I suppose it could be Kree, but..

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Marvel + FPS?

Do you play as Hawkeye and absolutely positively no one else? Because that's the only way I see it going down.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There was a shitty X-Men based expansion/TC released for Quake back in the day, so the idea has precedent.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:
    There was a shitty X-Men based expansion/TC released for Quake back in the day, so the idea has precedent.

Extremely shitty. You were some random mutant dude fighting "clones" of the X-Men. It was awful, and might be why it hasn't been tried again until now.

...actually, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions had sequences with FPS brawling, but they lasted on average less than a minute and only popped up during some boss fights.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I could see Spider-Man working as a First Person game ala Mirror's Edge.

I hate skrulls, their so boring and one note...I really hope that the movie revolves more around Loki and not the Skrulls.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I kinda wish they would make a S.H.I.E.L.D FPS. Play as a random agent trying to take down B-list villians with cool gadgets and stuff. Maybe make it squad based.

It is good to see them try to do something with superheroes other than a 3rd person beat-em-up or a fighting game.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So are we meant to feel disappointed or relieved by this news?

Because I'm not feeling much of the former.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    I could see Spider-Man working as a First Person game ala Mirror's Edge.

I hate skrulls, their so boring and one note...I really hope that the movie revolves more around Loki and not the Skrulls.

the new amazing spiderman trailer totally had me sold on a first person spiderman game, so that needs to happen