As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead or Alive 5] online might be ok, but an online pass is not

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Wait, why isn't koei tecmo publishing this themselves?

Anyway, pretty hyped for this. I really really want Gen fu.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why turn the most realistic xtreme beach volleyball simulator franchise into a fighting game all of a sudden?

It was either this or an FPS.

Need more tag info... sure, the new stages look very cool, but they're no good to me when they're only 1v1.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DOA4 was actually well-received in Japan, considering the platform it came out on. And given it was a good game that came out during a lull in 3D fighters (well before SC4, for example), it's not surprising.

Five years later, it still has the best tag team gameplay and best multi-tiered stages in a 3D fighter. That's...kind of sad in its own way.
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why turn the most realistic xtreme beach volleyball simulator franchise into a fighting game all of a sudden?

They elected to turn one of the worst action games on the PS2 into a fighting game called Tekken. Developers are weird.

Ba dum phish.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I really want to check out this game, but the constant slow motion in trailers I've seen is very worrisome.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    The obsession with QTE already mentioned suggests those won't decline. :(

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Tboyswag wrote: »
    Who I'd like to see as new characters
    3.A Irish-Canadian bounty hunter(female)

Wow, throw in half-Jewish, and they could just use my wife.

...well, not for the bounty hunter part, but the rest...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Things have been cleared up. Sega is publishing Dead or Alive 5, but only in Europe. Tecmo is publishing everywhere else.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options

I was about to say, you're married to the most interesting woman in the world.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Andriasang is reporting that Hayashi was the one who pushed Sega to allow them to use Akira in their game. He also says Akira's command list will be pretty much the same as it is in Virtua Fighter 5. Biggest problem with that is how Akira's pretty decent throw game will translate into Dead or Alive's simplistic throw system.

Hayashi also said that Akira probably won't be the only guest character in the game. Maybe he'll get a tag-team partner.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Gonna rock Akira/Kokoro ALL DAY.

I am torn with the presentation.

On one hand, I am happy with the boob reduction the entire female cast has got, the stages as they function atm, the clothes getting progressively wet/dirty, and the stange and awesome Kasumi move buffs, and of course, Akira.

On the other hand, the chicks just look kind of weird now. Not bad, persay, just off for some reason, and it's not just the more realistic gigantic boobs.

• Options
    It should be fairly obvious that there's still as much emphasis on the female fighters, just in different ways.

Remember around when Dead or Alive 3 was out and Dead or Alive 4 was in development and someone, might have been Itagaki but I'm not sure, basically said that they put way more resources and time into the female models and animations than they do for the male characters. It looks like it'll be the same in Dead or Alive 5, just with different designs. We've already seen that in the alpha builds when there were only 4 characters in the game the 2 female characters had multiple costumes (each more revealing than the other), while the male characters just had their default stuff.

Likely it'll follow the same trend as past games. Your average male character will have 5, maybe 6 alts, while every female character will have 10+. And if they allow some customization in the Virtua Fighter style then they'll probably have way more accessories as well.

Also, since it's an early build, the characters are probably missing a lot of detail animations. Remember how weird the first Soulcalibur 5 character models looked? They had these vacant eyes and expressionless faces. That's because they didn't have any emotional or character details added to the game yet.

stream
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I was about to say, you're married to the most interesting woman in the world.

Well, she's into games and puts up with all my geekery, so I still made out pretty well. :)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Gonna rock Akira/Kokoro ALL DAY.

I am torn with the presentation.

On one hand, I am happy with the boob reduction the entire female cast has got, the stages as they function atm, the clothes getting progressively wet/dirty, and the stange and awesome Kasumi move buffs, and of course, Akira.

On the other hand, the chicks just look kind of weird now. Not bad, persay, just off for some reason, and it's not just the more realistic gigantic boobs.

If you mean they look less doll like, then yes.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Yeah. They used to look creepy as all hell to me. Now they look actually look like people.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Kasumi looks incredible in that trailer, as does the arena itself. It's just so ridiculous that she doesn't have any kind of breast support, but I guess this is to be expected.

I wonder if they're going to continue the trend of having to play through the game numerous times in order to unlock all the characters/costumes. I remember having to beat the bullshit final boss in DoA 4 with every single character in order to unlock the Spartan, and then doing survival ad nauseam for all the colors. Shit got tedious, yo.

• Options
    There was usually a second method for doing it, like collecting all the items in survival.

That was really easy, though still tedious, in the ps2 versions where you could down an opponent then open the disc tray, which would prevent the next opponent from loading. Then you just spent 40 minutes hitting the downed opponent until you got all the points or items you needed.

stream
  • Options
    New gameplay, based on the demo build shipping with Ninja Gaiden 3. So it's not actually new, since that's an old build, but it's a second showing of the original stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-KI6h0yqOs&feature=player_embedded

There was also an interview with Hayashi where he talked about what he wants to get out of community involvement, since that's the big thing with fighting games these days. And despite Dimensions kind of sucking and bombing. They figure their demo of an old alpha build is at least being released so early that players can give some feedback they might actually use. And it is really early for a demo, since they only announced the game a little over 6 months ago.

stream
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Hitomi looks pretty rad. Bouncing tits look pretty silly.

Has DoA ever had an arcade release that they used to test out some of their mechanics? Something like what Capcom did with Street Fighter 4.

• Options
    They had an arcade release for the best Dead or Alive, which was Dead or Alive 2.

Though the best version of that was Hardcore, which was based on the console release.

stream
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    That video has me putting in DoA4 when I get home.

Ive never tried it with a stick, but it comes off to me as one of those games thats actually easier on a pad (like I think Soul Calibur is). Anyone use a stick with DoA?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Always and forever.

I'll probably be playing some Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate with my friend. We both got excited by the Akira footage and spent more than an hour talking about Dead or Alive 2 when it came out in the arcades.

stream
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Anyone use a stick with DoA?

There's a joke here somewhere :lol:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Only a couple more days till everyone has their hands on the Dead or Alive 5 demo. Some people have gotten early copies and info is starting to trickle out. There were a few more official videos, but I'm expecting a flood of them tomorrow so I'll wait till then.

Team Ninja has set up a feedback page on the game's official website, as well as a manual covering the basics of the demo.

The important bits about the new systems:

The power move is f+p+k. It actually doesn't do that much damage without a danger zone. Seems in most situations you'd be better off with a launcher or highest damage throw. On the other hand, I've only watched a dozen or so gameplay videos and I'm already sick of their animations.

They finally did the right thing and copied another part of Virtua Fighter's gameplay. Sidestepping is now 2_8+f+p+k and there are sidestep attacks, like the offensive or defensive moves in Virtua Fighter 5. At least on the surface. And now they'll actually do something!

They've created a hybrid reversal system, using aspects of Dead or Alive 2's commands and the new ones. Every character has the DOA4-style commands of 4_6_1_7+f for basic reversals, but that also have the old commands of 4,6+f and 6,4+f for mid reversals. There are called advanced holds and they at least do more damage (not sure if they have different animations). Some characters will also get their old high and low advanced holds (6,1+f and 6,7+f). Not sure how this changes the old timing based system, or if they function the same out of hit stun. Also don't know the status of the old non-damage holds since none of the demo characters have them.

Offensive holds are either gone or character specific and not specific to the demo characters. Don't really care.

Seems low reversals still crouch, which is still dumb.

Looks like there's still no proper throw breaks. Actually, nobody has talked much about that at all.

There's an option to turn off (or at least down) the stupid hitsparks. There's also a less-dumb button binding function, but the Dead or Alive games have always used that. It's not the best, but it's way better than most.

There's finally an option for different camera movements. The Dead or Alive series has always had the weirdest camera of any fighting game, so I'm hoping one of them is less stupid and causes a few less dropped combos.

stream
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I extrapolate from the videos so far that the round winning hit makes something cinematic or ridiculous happening, like flying into that car. Maybe thats just the trailer.

Something is still wrong with Hitomi's face.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It's not round winning, but the flying car doesn't show up until you do a power blow. The reason power blows have that slow motion freeze animation is because the player is quickly presented with all the environmental objects they can interactive (they'll be highlighted against the background) with and has to select one. If you do one on that part of that stage while standing in the right place then the car will show up and you can select it. The reason it doesn't come across in the videos shown is that those are just ai battles and they make their selections instantly so it doesn't show them doing it.

From watching some other gameplay I've seen that there are still counter holds and hi-counter holds. Maybe the timing is stricter than it used to be. The damage is also way lower on basic holds, even if they're hi-counter. Probably only advanced hi-counter holds that will be doing 40%+ damage. Holds in general do way less damage. Even hi-counter basic holds were doing less damage than basic throws unless they hit a wall or danger zone.

You can still free step like in the past games, and it's still 99% useless for actually evading moves. The actual dodge is yet more like Virtua Fighter, since you can be thrown out of it (and it becomes a hi-counter throw).

Although the demo doesn't have tag battles of any sort, there is at least a hint that they'll still be in. When you select vs battle it doesn't take you directly to character select, but instead to a sub-menu that right now only has solo vs. In past DOA games that sub-menu had all the different tag battle options as well. There would be no reason to have the extra menu layer if solo vs was the only option in the game.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Advanced holds do have different animations, as well as way more damage. Hayabusa's izuna drop holds are now advanced holds, but they still do 1/3 of a bar at least. Seems some advanced holds will be even more specific, so you'd have an advanced hold for high punches, but not high kicks (where a normal hold will reverse all highs). It also looks like you can do them out of hit stun, just like normal holds. Hi-counter advanced holds are still tons of damage, so I'm reasonably satisfied.

stream
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    so I put DOA4 in again for the first time in ages, and I am terrible. Like, mind numbingly terrible. UMvC3 has totally destroyed my ability to play any fighting game that isnt based around crazy chatic combos.

Any tips on counters? I Cant seem to land any, ever.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Still love this series, it always felt the most fluid out of the other 3-d mechanics out there. How do folks get into the beta anyways?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Oh wow, This game looks pretty awesome. Its like a Michael Bay'd up DoA...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Where is the demo at. My brother can't find it.

• Options
    It's in your brand new copy of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Or did you not buy that epic and awesome game?

stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    He bought a 60 dollar demo that came with a free copy of Ninja Gaiden 3. >_>.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It's the only reason I plan on paying money for it.

Unless you mean where the demo is? It's not on the disk. You have to download it from the marketplace, but NG3 comes with a code that you need to be able to play it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Wont the demo be available to everyone at some point down the line? Buying NG3 just for the demo will make then think they've made a good game...

• Options
    Yeah. We found the code. But it looks like it isn't up yet.

Probably check again when the PSN network updates.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The demo is also character locked depending on where you bought it. The only way to get all 4 characters is with the CE. Everyone else only gets Ayane and Hayate, or Hayabusa and Hitomi, depending on the retailer.

Just realized that the power blow command replaces the old tag command. Humph. :<

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I just watched that video

Someone stop me from grabbing a 360 and playing DOA2:U again.

I still have my disc

Also, bravo on the attempt to make Hitomi look kind of German.

• Options
    I'm playing Ultimate this weekend. It'd be too much work to get Hardcore going again, and Ultimate is good enough. At least it has all the best tag throws intact.

stream
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    I find it hilarious that Hitomi gets hit by a flying car and immediately afterwards you see her start to shake it off. Can't wait to see what other ridiculous hazards they throw at us.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Hitomi's a tough cookie!

Been playing some Dimensions cause that demo vid got me all jacked up for some DoA. If 5 has the same robust amount of SP content that Dimensions has, I may just pick it up at full price.