As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead or Alive 5] online might be ok, but an online pass is not

1234568»

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, online passes bother me way, way less than, say, paid Day 1 DLC.

'Course, I don't play online, so online passes are of no value to me anyway.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    That's another thing I refuse to participate in. O_o

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Day 1 DLC is not usually content carved out of the finished game and then sold back to you. Day 1 DLC is still content created after the main game is completed. Day 1 DLC is actually a very cool thing that people also get unnecessarily worked up over.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Yeah, exactly.

Though, of course, some companies are pretty shady about it *cough*Capcom*cough*

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    As a mostly PC gamer online passes don't bother me since PC games have traditionally had $50 offline passes. I guess consoles are finally catching up and at least they're finally throwing away the whole piracy excuse and blatantly saying it's for the money.

As for T&A in fighting games, if you want a game without it, I would highly recommend Persona 4 Arena. I guess it helps when the game's characters originated from an RPG series instead of the era of experimenting with 3D models and valleys... of the uncanny kind ;). Though I actually like DOA's fighting system mainly because I like the mind games from the counter system (I also liked the guard impact/parry system from one of the earlier SC games though they've since taken it out again)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yeah we kinda already discussed how your "b...but...GREEEEEEED" argument is kinda silly.

Oh noes! A company giving their paying customers the same thing they've always got and then doing something that will maybe make them profit a little off of used sales! How scandalous!

actually not quite right. The pass expires in a year. On September 26, 2013 the game I bought will no longer function unless I pay more for it. I'm kinda pissed off about that. I bought HD Remix 4 years ago and can go online and still play it just like the day I bought it. I bought Street Fighter IV 3 years ago and I can still play it online like the day I bought it. Hell, I bought Quake 3 13 years ago and I can still play it online just like the day I bought it. Online passes are fucking stupid and I hate them but it's not my fault game stores like eb/gamestop decided to attempt to murder the entire fucking industry and I'm the one who has to live with those consequences by paying $10/year subscription fees for shit that has shouldn't have any legitimate reason to require subscription fees.

/rant

despite that minor annoyance this game is awesome.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Day 1 DLC is not usually content carved out of the finished game and then sold back to you. Day 1 DLC is still content created after the main game is completed. Day 1 DLC is actually a very cool thing that people also get unnecessarily worked up over.

is it always clear what parameters the "main game" encompasses?

isn't there a risk that the definition of "main game" will shrink and shrink so that eventually a company can charge you a couple of times for what is essentially one game?

honestly though, i don't really mind these trends so much. i think we as gamers need to come to grips with the fact that games can (and maybe should) cost more than $60, especially if they are providing hundreds of hours of entertainment.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah we kinda already discussed how your "b...but...GREEEEEEED" argument is kinda silly.

Oh noes! A company giving their paying customers the same thing they've always got and then doing something that will maybe make them profit a little off of used sales! How scandalous!

actually not quite right. The pass expires in a year. On September 26, 2013 the game I bought will no longer function unless I pay more for it. I'm kinda pissed off about that. I bought HD Remix 4 years ago and can go online and still play it just like the day I bought it. I bought Street Fighter IV 3 years ago and I can still play it online like the day I bought it. Hell, I bought Quake 3 13 years ago and I can still play it online just like the day I bought it. Online passes are fucking stupid and I hate them but it's not my fault game stores like eb/gamestop decided to attempt to murder the entire fucking industry and I'm the one who has to live with those consequences by paying $10/year subscription fees for shit that has shouldn't have any legitimate reason to require subscription fees.

/rant

despite that minor annoyance this game is awesome.

Okay, wait, what?

This is the first I've heard of that.

Are you sure it's not just the code that expires?

If you are basing the off just an expiration date on the thing with the code, then yeah, it just means you have until then to redeem it.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    oh... well then... call me significantly less annoyed. I just remember there being an expiry date on the text that shows up when you enter the code on xbox live in the detailed information area.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    It's still dumb cause what if a year from now someone buys the game and it happens to be a copy with that date?

Those codes should really not expire, or have a ridiculous date like ten years later or something.

• Options
    Played alot of DoA Dimensions lately. Broke down my resolve to wait and ended up picking up DoA5. Its pretty good, AI still feels a little DoA4 bullshitty. Like, in 2 and 3 I could do ok against the AI and in Dimensions I wreck some AI faces. I was awful at 4, and sometimes in this one it feels like there's nothing I can do but watch the AI character beat me up. They color coded the "H" and "T" prompt buttons wrong though... had me confused for a few hours into the game. Throw is the "A" button, but the prompt symbol is blue. Also, I didn't know that the counter moves were called holds... anyway, when it said that all you could do when you were staggered was a hold, I kept hitting "A".

The story mode is pretty stupid and cheesy too. Everyone's just fighting everyone else for no reason. Like, Kokoro's out in the courtyard doing her thing, and Akira shows up and struts his shit for a good 2 minutes without saying anything and then they fight. Or Helena's out on her oil rig thing and Lisa shows up. "Lisa! Wtf are you doing here without my permission?" then they fight. Silly. I like the new characters, Mila and Rig. Rig especially, I can string together some pretty good combos with him.

Lastly, how does the critical strike thing work? I get the power blows, but I don't get the other thing. When it flashes "critical strike" on the screen do I immediately do the input for my character's critcal blow move? I got up to Hayate in the story last night, so maybe I haven't gotten to that tutorial part yet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I actually had a couple chances to play it--unsurprisingly, the bad qualities I remembered from DOA3DS snuck in, but hey, at least they included tag team. Not a fan of the critical strike addition at all. Visual polish was nice, though frankly, it doesn't set the sort of high bar that DOA3 set on the Xbox or DOA4 did when it came on the 360 and Zack looking suspiciously like Pierce from Saint's Row the Third just kind of reminded me the current art direction was hit and miss (a very minor issue). Didn't have a chance to see if tag team survival mode is still there, but I don't think it is, unfortunately.

It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand, there's nothing stopping me from playing DOA4, which is still much better I would say--especially with others offline. On the other hand, I feel as though I should buy it at some time since it doesn't flat out suck like Ninja Gaiden 3 did.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Zack has some sweet Michael Jackson moves. Halfway through a match against him, he just started doing the Smooth Criminal lean.

Also, there is only solo survival mode.

• Options
    Zack has some sweet Michael Jackson moves. Halfway through a match against him, he just started doing the Smooth Criminal lean.

Also, there is only solo survival mode.

I don't mind admitting I love his "taunt" where he can fall on the ground if you don't do the follow up. It's Soulcalibur useless, but it's still totally sweet.

And yeah, I suspected as much. Bummer.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand, there's nothing stopping me from playing DOA4, which is still much better I would say--especially with others offline. On the other hand, I feel as though I should buy it at some time since it doesn't flat out suck like Ninja Gaiden 3 did.

why is doa4 better? i own it but didn't play it that much. just wondering.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

why is doa4 better? i own it but didn't play it that much. just wondering.

Purely as a matter of personal taste (like everything else when describing why one find's a game better), I would absolutely say DOA4 was better when it came out: it was graphically more impressive, it was a higher step up from DOA3 in terms of stage expansion, tag team play, and also DOA2U's online support.

To speak presently, though: things that are still true is that, frankly, it's just so much more fun. DOA4's survival mode is more fun, even neglecting that DOA5's weaksauce survival lacks tag team mode (Team Ninja missed a golden opportunity to add a co-op tag team survival mode, to say the least). It's story was less stupid (SCV has this same problem--it's new story mode is an adventurous attempt that manages to suck compared to the SCIV's mediocre performance). In both cases, that probably has to do with the undo seriousness and dramatic weight the new games have placed on their still crappy writing versus older titles. The unlockables, as they stand, are weaker (though I think Tecmo-Koei will correct this in time). When I think that this game came out 8 years ago, I can't help but think so much greater an effort, so much more dedication, was put into it by Team Ninja than DOA5, which just feels like a half-hearted attempt to rush out in time with SCV (very much an eeeehhhh game I would say) and the new Tekken (see previously). Mind you, those are comparisons I make not with games as a whole, but with their longstanding franchises.

Of course, those are just my complaints: I've been playing DOA since the DC days, and I logged a good 400 hours into DOA4, if not more, in the first few years I earned it. If you're just looking for a 3D fighter with actual non-retarded four player support, DOA5 is perfectly functional. So is DOA4, technically, though the online community is much depleted and it's not as pretty after 8 years.

I do think some of the new characters are nice. Some aren't worth a crap, mind you, but that's one thing DOA4 didn't have (though I don't mind saying I find Nicole to be a far better addition than Alpha-152, even if she's probably the weakest of the 'new' characters in DOA5). I've only played about 10 hours or so of DOA5, and almost exclusively couch multiplayer (I watched someone else play the story mode), so maybe I'd feel different. In the meantime, though, it feels like the logical evolution of DOA3DS (when compared to the prior DOA, non-handheld games--perhaps an unfair comparison): slowly more disappointing. Apparently Metacritic agrees with me, but following the scoring of RE6 versus RE5 (and the comical difference between RE6 on PS3 and 360), I suspect Metacritic--or more accurately, this month's reviewers--are full of shit.

[/idiosyncratic lamentation]

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Isn't Nicole the Spartan in DOA4? I haven't come across any character in 5 named Nicole. Can't wait to unlock Alpha-152 though. I'm assuming you meant "She's probably the weakest of the new characters in DOA4."

You might have had too many "DOA"s flying around, because you logged 400 hours in DOA4 but you've only played 10 hours or so of DOA4. :P

• Options
    I miss the old art style.

Some people dogged on it but I liked that it looked a bit more anime-ish and the new models are giving me a bit of that uncanny valley vibe.

If anything I wish they had decided to go more cartoonish over more realistic.

• Options
    Isn't Nicole the Spartan in DOA4? I haven't come across any character in 5 named Nicole. Can't wait to unlock Alpha-152 though. I'm assuming you meant "She's probably the weakest of the new characters in DOA4."

You might have had too many "DOA"s flying around, because you logged 400 hours in DOA4 but you've only played 10 hours or so of DOA4. :P

Whoopsie. And yes, she's that giant Spartan soldier. Kind of hard to miss. :P

• Options
    Beat DOA5's story mode last night... good god that was awful. Not just for a fighting game, but even for a Japanese game.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Halp! I cant seem to figure out how to get Sarah to put her back to her foe for command training in DoA5...

Its driving me bananas.

Edit: got it! Moved my opponent against a wall, moonsaulted but landed infront of them so my back was to them... jeeze

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Beat DOA5's story mode last night... good god that was awful. Not just for a fighting game, but even for a Japanese game.

Yeah--I daresay it's bad even by American standards.

Fighting games don't set the bar high, this isn't common knowledge. I do think DOA4 did it right (well, as right as SCIV and other games with mediocre stories stitched together for this purpose)--a bunch of stories that were largely irrelevant, or if they were somehow relevant, immersed in the games own mythology without dragging too far into it. DOA3DS made this mistake too, oh boy did it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I still want to get the 3DS version. A little miffed that when/if I do, I won't be able to get the DLC, though. I don't even remember what any of it is, but it's just the principle...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    3DS's DLC was outfits, mainly from older games.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    After playing around with different fighters, I think I'm settling on Hitomi as my favorite. It would be Bayman, but I can't do shit with him on anything higher than normal difficulty. Made my way down the arcade ladder with Hitomi though using combos I learned from command training (Command training is an awesome thing in DOA5!) at a good pace. Then I got to either hard, or the next one down and it was rough. Some fights were challenging, but I made it to the final match. It was against Akira... fuck him.

All he did was block everything and juggle me til I lost. After about 50 matches, I started reliably countering his blows, and finally won on an extremely lucky power blow...

• Options
    The more I read/watch this, the more I'm excited about Wii U possibly getting an Ultimate/Gold release of this game. I like a lot of the dlc outfits...but not enough to pay for them!

• Options
    last night i finally beat survival on master. only 100 more to go! i know no one cares, but i just had to tell someone.

• Options
    I care, that outfit is worth the struggle!

• Options
    This damn game has begun to frustrate me to no end! Normal AI is fun to a point, but then it becomes boring. Anything above Normal AI is cheap as fuck...

• Options
    i will do it! i will! i got to 93 last night on legend then got promptly owned. yeah, i was pretty frustrated lol.