As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm currently planning on going as Zora Armor Link from Twilight Princess. I've been working on the Ordon sword for the costume and finished it up today.
    kIdUo.jpg

Jindrax on
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    well.. scratch costume this year.. apparently they're sold out and I wont be attending even though I go every year. Stupid overly popular pax. Give me back the less popular pax.

• DaisyDaisy Registered User regular
    Sorry if this is a weird question, but does anyone know if it would it be considered rude to go in costume but not pose for photos? The costume part seems fun but the idea of the second part makes me kind of nervous!

• Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    For everyone who's worried about having a non-gaming-oriented cosplay, fear not - the majority of PAX-goers are unlikely to pelt you with tomatoes/mushrooms/chocobo eggs for portraying a character outside the gaming realm. Variety is the spice of life, and we like it HOT. And honestly, at this point I would be hard-pressed to think of a nerd-culture-relevant character that doesn't have a game of some sort attached to him/her/it...

In any case, I'll be sporting my '09 Starfleet uniform at least one day this year (more if there's an army of stormtroopers that needs opposing :P). Although I've never had an issue with my sidearm at previous PAXes, with all the hubbub about the new cosplay weapons rules I want to make sure it's still copacetic:
    2rw55ky.jpg

Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • PrinnysaurusRexPrinnysaurusRex TexasRegistered User regular
    I was planning on cosplaying as a COG soldier from the Gears of War universe. I was going to use Dom and Tai as my inspiration, I have an alpha build of the suit... but I don't think I will be able to finish it. :(

Looking forward to seeing all of your awesome creations. :D

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Daisy wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a weird question, but does anyone know if it would it be considered rude to go in costume but not pose for photos? The costume part seems fun but the idea of the second part makes me kind of nervous!

Yanno, my first couple photos I was like "uhhhhhh" but after a while you can't help but just start wanting to rock out in costume.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    If we had more than one income in our house I would be doing the Commissar outfit (inspired by "Commissar Busty", the female Commisar model from YEARS ago). They way I want it to look just isn't feasible with our money situation the way it is right now. The Jedi will be much easier, and cheaper, for me to do.
    Maybe all of us who have talked about it but were unable to do it this year for various reasons should band together and do a big WH40k thing for next year. Get like a Google + circle or something going so we can talk about it as we're doing it and trade ideas and all that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DR0NEDR0NE Registered User new member
    After helping with my friend's Buzz costume last year, I'm going to give it a shot myself for the first time... Dr. Doom costume is about 30% done.

• ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If we had more than one income in our house I would be doing the Commissar outfit (inspired by "Commissar Busty", the female Commisar model from YEARS ago). They way I want it to look just isn't feasible with our money situation the way it is right now. The Jedi will be much easier, and cheaper, for me to do.
    Maybe all of us who have talked about it but were unable to do it this year for various reasons should band together and do a big WH40k thing for next year. Get like a Google + circle or something going so we can talk about it as we're doing it and trade ideas and all that.

This is a great idea!Even If I am lazy next year(very likely)I can still throw together a pretty good Imperial Guard setup pretty easily.Then all the commissar cosplayers can shoot me in the face for all the moral impurities I am going to indulge in.Or they can just shoot me in the face just because.

edited May 2012
    ALKADER wrote: »

This is a great idea!Even If I am lazy next year(very likely)I can still throw together a pretty good Imperial Guard setup pretty easily.Then all the commissar cosplayers can shoot me in the face for all the moral impurities I am going to indulge in.Or they can just shoot me in the face just because.
    Sveet! I'm Tom Loughead on Google+ if you wanna add me there. I got a FOR THE EMPRAH circle now unless you guys have a better idea for a way to converse.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    Dear WH40K fans (please note, the following is just my personal opinion, feel free to ignore it):

For the love of the God-Emperor, please stop saying "I know! I'll dress as a COMMISSAR!" There are bajillions (rough estimate) of excellent Commissar cosplays out there already. Be inventive! Come as a tech-priest, or a Tau, or a Necron, or a member of the Navis Nobilite, or a Space Marine Scout, or Malcador the bloody Sigilite!

Don't get me wrong, I love Gaunt's Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain and Commissar Yarrick as much as the next 40K nerd, but there are a disproportionate number of Commissar cosplayers relative to other awesome 40K costume ideas. I know it's fun to walk around pretending to execute heretics, but c'mon, have some imagination ;)

Yours,

- A guy who will probably end up making a really crappy Chaos cultist costume someday, or something ;)

edited May 2012
    Tango wrote: »
    Dear WH40K fans (please note, the following is just my personal opinion, feel free to ignore it):

For the love of the God-Emperor, please stop saying "I know! I'll dress as a COMMISSAR!" There are bajillions (rough estimate) of excellent Commissar cosplays out there already. Be inventive! Come as a tech-priest, or a Tau, or a Necron, or a member of the Navis Nobilite, or a Space Marine Scout, or Malcador the bloody Sigilite!

Don't get me wrong, I love Gaunt's Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain and Commissar Yarrick as much as the next 40K nerd, but there are a disproportionate number of Commissar cosplayers relative to other awesome 40K costume ideas. I know it's fun to walk around pretending to execute heretics, but c'mon, have some imagination ;)

Yours,

- A guy who will probably end up making a really crappy Chaos cultist costume someday, or something ;)

The problem with a lot of WH40k stuff is that it involves some a toooon of armor building and a lot of advanced costume construction skills that a lot of us frankly haven't built up yet (I suppose you could go as a Farseer easily but who wants to be a Spess Elf?). I'd love to go as a techpriest but that involves serious makeup work, building Mechadendrites and what not, etc. Even a lower level Imperial Guard Engiseer would still involve more ability than I currently have (and a garage which I completely lack).

I don't do shortcuts or half-ass anything. If I'm gonna go as something I give it 100% and if it doesn't look right when I'm done then I rework it or scrap it. The Commissar is honestly my next step up in building on my costuming abilities.

Besides, who said I was gonna be modeling myself after one of the canon commissars?
    f34b796e7ec76e6d6d7ccd9d2bd83f8f333dc4c0_full.jpg FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUU-

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Suit yourself, then. I'll come as a Reasonable Marine. ;)

edited May 2012
    Suit yourself, then. I'll come as a Reasonable Marine. ;)
    Bhahahahaha, yes. That would be fantastic next year.

Once I get better at all of this I'll eventually get a Enginseer together or other form of Techpriest, but I've got a lot to learn and no garage to do it in (which is honestly the biggest part holding me back).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular

In any case, I'll be sporting my '09 Starfleet uniform at least one day this year (more if there's an army of stormtroopers that needs opposing :P). Although I've never had an issue with my sidearm at previous PAXes, with all the hubbub about the new cosplay weapons rules I want to make sure it's still copacetic:
    2rw55ky.jpg

New rules? Same rules as before, but no worries. A starfleet phaser is fine.

Yours,

My number one choice if you look back a bit in the thread would be a Tau Firewarrior,unfortunately I don't have the skill or time for that so I go with what I know I can do,and that is IG.

Sveet! I'm Tom Loughead on Google+ if you wanna add me there. I got a FOR THE EMPRAH circle now unless you guys have a better idea for a way to converse.

Just added you.I'm Omar Kader on Google+

• Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yours,

I totally understand the sentiment, but the commissar (not really any specific one, just the general unit) is my favorite thing in all of 40k. I can't make it to Prime, but you can count on there being at least one at east next year. Games Workshop could deliver a full suit of actually powered Aquila armor to my door for free, and I'd still be a commissar.

Thin Red Paste on
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    After seeing The Avengers tonight I really wanted to make a Loki costume. I imagine there'll be a few, but I was a big fan of Loki in a suit. Any help on how to give something a healthy glow?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • saveriansaverian Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Afternoon, first time PAX goer and first time cosplayer. Was planning on a Dr. Henry Killinger outfit as it's iconic but simple (plus his build is right for me, surprisingly difficult to find) and i've found the Howie coat to buy and modify. However i'm not sure how to dye it jet black properly.

Here's the link for the coat:
    bit.ly/IQoK5o

It says fabric wise it's Kingsmill 245g with a Texpel finish, god knows what that means. Any help with this would be much appreciated, thanks :)

saverian on
    edited May 2012
    SSDf

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Daisy wrote: »

Yanno, my first couple photos I was like "uhhhhhh" but after a while you can't help but just start wanting to rock out in costume.
    This man is so right.
    I was a bit nervous at first and would just smile. But once people started really complimenting my magnum gun. I decided to start posing.
    Think of it not so much they are taking pictures of you. But taking pictures of your costume, or even your character.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    I live in Hawaii, this is my first PAX, and I was thinking about doing cosplay, and I was wondering if you guys thought that for me, someone who is used to Hawaii heat, it would be "cold" or "hot" and such... or just tell me the average temp of inside and outside?

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • requinrequin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have two costumes that I'm doing for this summer for various cons happening around Vancouver, BC, and I'm thinking of bringing them down my PAX. This'll be my second year attending PAX, and I'm super excited!

- Female Barbarian from Diablo 3
    - Old Republic Jedi

I was wondering if it would be weird to see a Diablo 3 cosplay there because you know, it's not Blizzcon or anything (not like I would be able to go if there was one this year). Just wondering for input. Thanks guys : )

requin on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    As stated before. Any cosplay is awesome and welcome at pax. heck, there wasn't any halo related stuff at East and there were two Halo cosplays I know if. ;)
    Whatever you want to do will surely be awesome!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • PrinnysaurusRexPrinnysaurusRex TexasRegistered User regular
    Versuskid wrote: »
    I live in Hawaii, this is my first PAX, and I was thinking about doing cosplay, and I was wondering if you guys thought that for me, someone who is used to Hawaii heat, it would be "cold" or "hot" and such... or just tell me the average temp of inside and outside?

I'm from Texas, for PAX Prime 2012 (my first time to Seattle) I thought the weather was lovely. I could walk around in jeans and a tshirt. At times (or at night) a light jacket was required during the drop in temp. Though I hear from locals that it can get pretty chilly around that time of the year. However, If you are planning on cosplaying, take into consideration where you are staying. This will determine how far you have to walk to the convention center (plan for the weather). The WSCC keeps an nice even temperature inside, but with 70,000+ people running around + cosplay, things tend to get pretty warm quickly.

I cosplayed as Junpei Iori (SMT: Persona 3) last year and it was feasible as it was mostly the typical Japanese student RPG get up.... except for the jacket, which added bulk and preserved my own body heat. So I was fine when walking outside of the WSCC but walking around the expo hall + rushing to panels was... interesting. Which is why I only cosplay 1 day our of the 3. :)

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I swear no one reads my first post lol. All these questions about nongaming cosplays and the like. ;)

Anyways, I just wanted to remind people that if you want me to post on the front page for a group meetup for like minded cosplayers then let me know in a pm and I will add it. So far we have a mass effect group, and two groups (dance central and saint's row) looking for more?

Also I found out that my friend is making me an N7 breather helmet in exchange for me helping with his N7 armor! So excited!
    photo.php?fbid=10150785533890433&set=a.24574275432.51997.749055432&type=3
    Someone let me know if the link isn't working btw, silly ipad messes stuff up sometimes.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • appletartappletart Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

I swear no one reads my first post lol. All these questions about nongaming cosplays and the like. ;)

Anyways, I just wanted to remind people that if you want me to post on the front page for a group meetup for like minded cosplayers then let me know in a pm and I will add it. So far we have a mass effect group, and two groups (dance central and saint's row) looking for more?

Also I found out that my friend is making me an N7 breather helmet in exchange for me helping with his N7 armor! So excited!
    photo.php?fbid=10150785533890433&set=a.24574275432.51997.749055432&type=3
    Someone let me know if the link isn't working btw, silly ipad messes stuff up sometimes.

It's not working for me but I'm on a Kindle so it could just be me.

• PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    In response to the comment about not going as a Commisar: Some friends of mine and I decided to make models of ourselves as Imperial Guard. All the boys decided that I should be a Commissar because I don't take crap from any of the male gamers. My one friend is an ex-NFL defensive lineman, so he's an Ogryn (and my body guard). The rest of the boys are my retinue. Our hope is that we can all dress up together at some point to really have fun with it (some of them already have their costumes). I've been obsessed with making my costume since then. Finances are the only thing holding me back at this point.

The WH40K costume I would really love to do would be a Sister of Battle. I, however, do not have anywhere near the skills to pull that off and not look like a 5 year old in a card board box.

TOGSolid, I am down for a group of Imperial Guard Cosplay. I have several friends who would also join in. Look for Jennifer Siverling on G+, that's me. (I've added you already.)

The WH40K costume I would really love to do would be a Sister of Battle. I, however, do not have anywhere near the skills to pull that off and not look like a 5 year old in a card board box.
    Yarr, exactly why I'm not going as an Enginseer. If I do it, I want full carapace armor, mechadentrites, etc.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    This is why I could never put together my own.

This is what I want it to look like

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/jackdoud/40kcostumearchive2/E3 THQ/Chaos Marine/4723461301_739108c744_o.jpg

This is what it would look like If I did it

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/jackdoud/40kcostumearchive2/Caboose/Clipboard01.jpg

Except even this one is better than what mine would end up looking like.

ALKADER on
  • etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    I do not intend to go in a cosplay. But I will be dressed up fancy like a sir. Tophat, vest and Jacket. Maybe it'll turn into a cosplay of the ragecomic picture if I can find a monocle.

I also intend to make a button for buttoneering with something related to how I'll be dressed.

Let there be games!
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/jackdoud/40kcostumearchive2/E3 THQ/Chaos Marine/4723461301_739108c744_o.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/jackdoud/40kcostumearchive2/Caboose/Clipboard01.jpg

Alkader, I know exactly what you mean. I found out that I can't make things worth crap. After the 5 millionth time I tried making something only to have it break or look like crap, I decided that I'm better off paying someone lots of money to make a decent cosplay.

vgc wrote: »

Alkader, I know exactly what you mean. I found out that I can't make things worth crap. After the 5 millionth time I tried making something only to have it break or look like crap, I decided that I'm better off paying someone lots of money to make a decent cosplay.

I'm with you,unfortunately Games Workshop will put out Cease and Desist orders for anyone selling Warhammer costumes of any sort.

• KoZhanKoZhan RedmondRegistered User regular
    So, Last year was my first year at PAX and I wanted to enjoy it not worrying about anything ( even though we got our butts handed to us on a silver platter in the Halo tourney lawl). Any who! This will be my first time attempting a cosplay so I want to keep it simple. My question is: How common is PAX Jax / Card board tube Samurai done?

Yarr, exactly why I'm not going as an Enginseer. If I do it, I want full carapace armor, mechadentrites, etc.
    I forgot to address this bit. There are quite a few cool 40K costumes that don't need much of the "make Astartes armor" kind of fabrication skill. I'd love to see some Navigators (with their warp eye covered, of course!), Malcador the Sigillite, Space Marine scouts (minimal armor, and you don't even have to be 8 feet tall!) or maybe a planetary governor. But then I'm a big fan of that sort of for-those-who-know kind of cosplay, and I know some people like to represent more generally recognizable characters.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    KoZhan wrote: »
    So, Last year was my first year at PAX and I wanted to enjoy it not worrying about anything ( even though we got our butts handed to us on a silver platter in the Halo tourney lawl). Any who! This will be my first time attempting a cosplay so I want to keep it simple. My question is: How common is PAX Jax / Card board tube Samurai done?

There was a handful at the last PAX East.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    edited May 2012
    I forgot to address this bit. There are quite a few cool 40K costumes that don't need much of the "make Astartes armor" kind of fabrication skill. I'd love to see some Navigators (with their warp eye covered, of course!), Malcador the Sigillite, Space Marine scouts (minimal armor, and you don't even have to be 8 feet tall!) or maybe a planetary governor. But then I'm a big fan of that sort of for-those-who-know kind of cosplay, and I know some people like to represent more generally recognizable characters.
    Especially for a con where WH40k isn't necessarily all that big of a thing. Being asked "nice costume..what are you" and then having to explain just who the hell Salvador Sondal is isn't all that fun. Not that I'd ever go as Salvador, but you get what I'm saying.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I would encourage going as whatever makes you feel comfortable and fun. /shrug

edited May 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I would encourage going as whatever makes you feel comfortable and fun. /shrug

Well yeah for most people that's what I'd recommend, but I'm not gonna show up in something that nobody is gonna recognize. Just seems silly to invest a lot of time into something accurate but super obscure.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.