As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT! 1.0 IS HERE!

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
WKwTF.png

Is Minecraft.net Down?

1.8.1. MINECRAFT JAR FILE! Please save a copy of this for when you want to access the server while we wait for important mod updates!

New Map Render!
http://208.122.57.200:25567/#

If you want a custom skin made, contact apricotmuffins, VALVEjunkie, or Tankhammer, they'll give you a skin for a donation to the server.

Server IP

Or.

pennycraft.dyndns.org

Server Rules!
  • Don't be a jerk! That means no stealing! No duping items! No griefing! If what you want to do will piss someone off, then don't do it! If you want to pull a prank on someone speak to the admins cause we're nice people with a horrible sense of humor!
  • We'll invite your friends but if your friend is a jerk you are banned too!
  • We play on hardmode! No more kits or handouts! No free teleports to your buddies!
  • No more automatic spawners!
  • Read the other god damn posts!
  • LEAVE THE STRONGHOLDS AND NPC VILLAGES ALONE! Explore them and put up torches if you would like to, but leave everything else in place!

Q: This is an awesome server, can I donate?

A: Yes! Please, contact Ultimak about doing so. He has a link in his sig for just such a thing.

Do you want to join us? Read the rules and pop us a PM! Please tell us your minecraft username or we can't add you to the whitelist!

Vent Info!

vtx14.defconservers.com
port:3860
password: fortytwo

Do you want a color name?
yDDdf.png

Black and dark blue are off limits, they're too hard to see. The gold is more like orange.#0 - Don't Have
#1 - darkblue
#2 - darkgreen
#3 - teal
#4 - darkred
#5 - purple
#6 - orange
#7 - grey (default color)
#8 - Don't Have
#9 - blue
#a - lightgreen
#b - lightblue
#c - red
#d - pink
#e - yellow
#f - Don't Have

"Wait wait wait, what is Minecraft?"
It's a totally awesome game where you dig a lot and build a lot and then die a lot and then your stuff gets all blown up.

Great! I loaded up a map but I'm really confused on how to play!

Look for a tree. Chances are, you see one. Punch it. Seriously, punch it with the left mouse button. You wanna aim for the logs. Also, stick with the short trees for now. There's more wood in the larger ones but they're harder to take down when you're just starting out.

Anyways, now open up your inventory with the I key. It looks like this.
dQYWW.jpg
You see that 2x2 grid box? Put your logs in there. You'll notice that you now have something called Wooden Planks. (It doesn't actually exist until you click on it but whatever.) You want 4 of them to make a crafting table? It's does for you exactly the same thing you're doing right now, but instead you have a 3x3 crafting grid.

Hopefully, you have a lot more than 4 planks at the moment. If not, get at least 5 more. If you have enough, then go to your crafting table and right click on it. Take 2 planks and put them on the grid, one on top of the other to make Sticks. Generally speaking, it's fairly intuitive to make items with the crafting table like what you just did now, but here's a couple of pictures for you to show you how to make your first tools. Oh and by the way, use the wrong tool on the wrong block and it breaks faster. It's still pretty intuitive, like why would you use a pickaxe on a tree instead of an axe?
PzUTy.jpgOiMjK.jpgbm4ll.jpgJvB1S.jpg
Now, depending on the time of day you either want to make a home or start gathering stone. Use your new wooden pickaxe and gather 8 blocks of stone. Go back to your crafting table and make a circle around in the crafting grid. This gives you a furnace and it does many nice things for you.

Oh like, you can smelt logs and get charcoal and make yourself torches. By the way logs burn at roughly the same rate as planks, so if you're going to be using logs as fuel, use planks instead. You can also burn up those extra saplings you earn as you play, but they burn up really fast. Charcoal has the same properties as coal does, coal being one of the minerals you can mine out of the ground. Stick a piece of charcoal on top of a stick and you have a torch. Use this to light your house because night is coming soon, or is already here and monsters come out at night. They won't spawn within a certain area of you, and they won't spawn if there is too much light.

Remember that your first home doesn't need to be special but do remember to build a roof, you'll thank me later when spiders come crawling in, giant spiders. Sometimes with skeletons riding on them.

And there you go! The basics of Minecraft! If there is anything else you need to know, ask around or check out the Minecraft Wikia here. Remember that YouTube is a wonderful source of information as well, just remember to check the dates because this game updates often and sometimes things become out of date.

Did you know that there is a large modding community for Minecraft? It's true!

I will not bother to list like a top 10, because there are just so many that I wouldn't have time to do so. The Minecraft Official Forums are exactly what you would expect from any official forum, full of people who care way too much about Minecraft to actually fill in their brain with knowledge or tact. This is where the modding community is though!

As far as keeping things organized, the mods there seem to run a tight ship. I will make things easy for you though and link you to the forums and stickies you should frequent.

I JOINED YOUR SERVER BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Oh I guess you should read the wikia we set up for you then.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rail System 101
    So you want to travel in style, save time, reduce your carbon footprint, and avoid creeper-holing our beautiful surface roads? Then you want to use the fabulous SE++ Rail System!

What's the Status Of the Thing?
    The west, south, and east lines are all working to some extent. The west line goes a long long way out. The south line goes past the Mushroom Kingdom. The east line ... goes out somewhere. The new map is bordered closely on the north, so don't sweat digging up that way yet.

I decided to use elevator signs to get down under the sewers without wrecking them up; I had to drop the ceiling of the one bit that was built and squeeeze in there. Please don't build anything too close to that wall (facing the spawn point) of the sewer in case we need room for redstone, signs, etc.

I Want To Help!
    Donate some iron for rail! Donate some sandstone and smoothstone for bridges and such! Donate some logs for the infernal amount of fencing we have to build! Donate some coal to warm our hearts and light our land! The new tunnels are a mix: some surface rail, some tunnels to get under basements and troublesome terrain, etc. Prefer scenic surface rail. It's up to the people who live in any given area to decide what the rail looks like.

If you help, PM me your in-game name and I'll make sure you end up on the "thank you" board. :)

The plan for the lines:
    • rule #1: Do not build directly on the x or z coordinates of the Spawnville railway, or +/- about 10 from there, because you'll end up with a hole punched in your construction when the rail reaches you. The main trunk rails take priority over your basement. This is not negotiable. You have been warned. The average X axis of the east/west rail is 129.5; the average Z axis of the north/south rail is 222.5.
    • rule #2: don't make it ugly. Example: if you build a skyrail, you had better make sure evvvveryone who can see it is okay with your look. The rail will run underground, underwater, on the surface, and/or on skyrails. Basically it's whatever the local architecture dictates. At New New Spawntown, it'll be underground but may pop up to the surface nearby.
    • rule #3: build it safe. Underground rails need to be well-lit. Surface rails need enough fences, etc., to keep creepers and skellies at bay. If you use fences, make sure to put a fence gate every so often so people don't break your fence to hop onboard. Surface rail is tricky to make safe without making ugly, but you guys are awesome and will figure it out.
    • rule #4: don't build on gravel (gravel is the brake block in Minecart Mania); dig it up and replace it.

So You Want To Be a Railroad Tycoon?
    I wrote up a tutorial on adding a basic station. As soon as the server comes up, I'll add pictures. Beyond that, I recommend the Minecart Mania Wiki. If you have specific questions, ask me (PMs here, in-game, etc.) and I'll do my best to help. I'll add frequently-asked questions to the web page.

If you want to intersect the main rail lines with your rail project, please, for the Love of the Creeper God, do it in a non-intrusive way. Traffic should continue normally past your intersection without noticing, unless they "/st next" or something like that. Likewise, please don't disrupt main line operation any more than you have to. Consider the rails public property. Beyond that, play nice and have fun building!

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    SE++ Minecraft EventsSE++ Minecraft Events Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    SE++ Minecraft Events on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Alright guys! SPAWN BUILDING GUIDELINES.

So, many of you have already decided to settle at Ispawnbul (not spawnstantinople). Welcome! build happy and build well. Keep our central hub protected and stocked up, make it a happy, joyful and above all safe place for people to be. A jewel in the crown that is spawn desert. We will be amazing!

A few ground rules about building:

Aesthetics
    1. Build out of sandstone, with double slabs or stone brick edging
    2. Roofs are either flat or made from Green Wool
    3. Use wooden fittings (fences, wood slabs) rather than glass for windows

Zoning
    4. Buildings are to huddle up close to each other
    4a. Unless it'd block a window, or has a sign saying what you want to do, people can build things connected to your wall sections
    4b. If you want a private garden build it in a courtyard or otherwise enclosed.
    5. Building underground is fine, but there will be public sewers that may cut across your tunnels. Mining should probably be done away from the town.

three zones for ISPAWNBUL
    NPC Village

Currently surrounded by fences
    Leave alone until notified otherwise
    (please harvest wheat from there if you see its grown- to keep or to donate to the foodhaus its up to you)

MAIN

Between the FENCE and the RIVER
    Do what you like in the approved style
    Too large plots and dull boxes are frowned on.
    Claiming more than 30x30 for private residence is being a dick, you should build UP and NEXT to things
    You can have more land if you are building publicly open stuff, but you better get on with building that.

SLUMLANDS

Across the river from the town
    Build really small (less than 10x10) in the Ispawnbul style
    You have free reign to build on top or around other peoples slums like the vile human scum you are

OUTSIDE

If you can see your place from standing on the fence, its too close to Ispawnbul
    Grandfathered exceptions
    -Geebs

PICTURE EXAMPLES
    coming soon brb

VERY IMPORTANT:

PLEASE huddle together more. Don't be precious about your walls and surroundings, equally, don't be afraid to attatch your building to someone elses. Think stronghold, not spread out town. If someone has a low building, see about building your house on top of theirs. lets get some layering going.

WE NEED MORE PROTECTION! Mobs are now on. we have a fence, and we need to light up every single building so no mobs spawn inside. dont be afraid to drop a torch in someones dark dank hole for them.

WE NEED MORE TORCHES! GET LIGHTING THOSE SUCKERS UP.

Things we need:

A donation station. may be combined in with the foodhaus. foodhaus will store food available to beggars. You arent a beggar unless you are half starving.

AQUEDUCTS! these may run around and over your buildings. tough cookies. <3

A MARKETPLACE. not sure why, it'll just look neat.

MATERIALS. Sandstone, wood, cobble, coal, iron. Rails for railstation! food gathering! general helpingoutiness of getting some resources going for all. you dont have to give everything, not at all, only what you feel like. Keep your diamonds hard won, make nice tools with them instead.

(I will add picture examples for spawn in a bit)

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    ultimakay wrote:
    I can't understate how amazing I am that we are even dealing with a capped server, like I never thought it would hit that, ever.

Gah that was a typo! I am amazed that the server hit the cap, im not that full of myself.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SpeedNutSpeedNut Registered User regular
    1.8 on my machine with 16GB of ram has somehow "run out of memory" when I'm on the new SE++ map. I'm updating my 32 / 64 bit java to see if it helps.

Also the amount of stuff that has popped up in 7 hours is crazy. Just.... Crazy.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    :O fuck yes top billing in the OP! now EVERYBODY will see it!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Awesome.

Hopefully people go to sleep so I can start my MAZE OF TERROR (hopefully completed before halloween)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    will it be an erotic labyrinth

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The Johannes Kepler Observatory and Library should be opening soon two thirds of a kilometer south of Ispawnbul in the next couple days

you'll be able to see it because it will be kissing the clouds

edit: the erotic labyrinth will be in the basement level

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Just my luck, I finally get on and all I get is a black screen.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    My homestead is like 3.6 km out.

I could probably be assed to build a labyrinth, I've got the space.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ugh Minecraft keeps fucking up

it won't let me log on even when I've changed my password to verify I have it correct

it just says LOGIN FAILED

PLAY OFFLINE - TRY AGAIN

I've tried it on like 3 different wifi networks at my friends' places so it isn't my internet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    gonna start building megaton tomorrow fo sho

• Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    Ok so I said this a couple times on the server, but for anyone who is exploring around the 513, -888 area and needs some food or a place to hide, I set up a guest house on my plot of land. Its the ugliest thing in existance but I'll pretty it up later. Have food in a chest on the ground floor, and beds upstairs if you need a spawnpoint. All I ask is to not kill the chickens, I'm trying to get eggs, and if you harvest from my wheat farm please replant as much as you can

SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Note to self: doorbells are dangerous, dangerous business

• Options

Make sure you are using the java version that matches the bit version of your OS.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Ugh Minecraft keeps fucking up

it won't let me log on even when I've changed my password to verify I have it correct

it just says LOGIN FAILED

PLAY OFFLINE - TRY AGAIN

I've tried it on like 3 different wifi networks at my friends' places so it isn't my internet

back up your save file and delete minecraft and redowload

I had this

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:

Make sure you are using the java version that matches the bit version of your OS.

1) I dunno how to do this

2) I also had this problem and mine was fixed when i deleted the META thingy from inside minecraft.jar

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Who removed the bed in the Skaia area? I died and now I'm back in spawn!

• Options
    Raneados wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:

2) I also had this problem and mine was fixed when i deleted the META thingy from inside minecraft.jar

use the internet browser that came installed with your computer

i used google chrome, that just got me the 32 bit

used internet explorer, got 64 bit

• Options

see 10 people starve to death

so far we are a third world country

the downside to no mobs is no pigs or cows

• Options
    Raneados wrote: »

I've seen pigs and cows a ton, I've got like a stack of raw beef and half that of porkchop.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    @Raneados, your avatar with the jailed effect on it is surprisingly funny.

Dys on
  • Options
    help help I'm being oppressed

:3

• Options
    FRESH MEAT

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Conspawntinople is getting pretty crowded

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well now it works

now I have to wait for a spot to open up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:

There are both cows and pigs on the server, as well as chickens and sheep. Only hostile mobs dont spawn currently.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Be a man and live at the edge of the world.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:

use the internet browser that came installed with your computer

i used google chrome, that just got me the 32 bit

used internet explorer, got 64 bit

okay you're gonna have to dumb it down a bit more

are you saying play minecraft on the browser?
    if you are: I want to play it on the not-browser

• Options
    ultimakay wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

There are both cows and pigs on the server, as well as chickens and sheep. Only hostile mobs dont spawn currently.

they just hate me apparently :<

• Options
    Raneados wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

they just hate me apparently :<

They do seem to prefer spawning in certaim biomes mow, rather then spawned evenly over all biomes.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    whoops, sorry rane

i was playing minecraft on my computer by downloading java from my google chrome, then playing it out of browser
    I was lagging horribly

so, i opened up internet explorer, and found out that java has different downloads for different browsers in addition to different operating systems

if you have 32 bit windows 7 or what have you, you download 32 bit java

i have 64 bit windows 7, but because of using google chrome on the java site, i only had the option to download one version of java, the 32 bit

when i used 64 bit windows explorer, i was able to download 64 bit java

• Options
    always remember I am computer retarded

• Options
    samesies

i just listen to other people

• Options
    i'll NEVER DO THAT

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    did they really release a 32-bit version of Windows 7?

supplementary question: why would they do that?

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote:

the very point! build up for more space.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Do passive mobs spawn less often with 1.8? I'm hurtin' for wool.

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Finally settled in the swamp at (502, 63).

But goddamn do I need to get a grip on my hunger situation.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.