As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2: The Slimes Strike Back

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Day 18/19/20:

It's odd. When I was a kid, if I was sick, I'd curl up with a good RPG. In fact, the RPG of choice back then was the original Dragon Warrior Monsters. Roguelike elements and Monster hunting, the only thing that could have made it better would have been online play.

Now, at 30, when I'm sick, I end up dragging myself out from under the pile of covers and going to school, cause I don't have the luxury of a day off.

So yeah, not much DQMJ2ing. I was going to have a new Great Dragon ready for the cooker by yesterday so I could get a Seedy Weedie from the rookie leagues, that didn't happen. Might try again for the Drohl Diabloist just so the week's not wasted. SWeedie is nice cause you can teach him Thwack and he'll end most fights online in a single turn. Add Breath 3 or Uber Breath so he can follow up against things that immune to thwack, and you're golden.

(Edit: Although I may be thinking of just standard Weedie...)

My gametime has exclusively been leveling up 3 Conklave XYs. 2 of them are S+12 now, and are going to hit level 100 this time. Hopefully they will all hit the attack cap, cause I'm seriously tired of grinding them up. Aleph is the highest at level 79, and has 976 attack after equipping something called a Lost Katana, which I found... somewhere. Presumably a rare drop off... something in the Light World. His HP, MP, DEF and AGI are all capped, if I'm reading Woodus's chart right the ATK cap is 800 before adjustments. Attack Boost 3 gives +66 to attack. So he might have just hit that cap, not sure -- before the Lost Katana, he's 866 attack.

KiTA on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I've noticed something odd, I seem to be getting no away points whatsoever. Really absurdly bad luck to only be downloaded by people with sub-50 rank teams? I don't know! But it's annoying, and really could hurt my rank.
    Fortunately, I'm still rank 66 to start today.

I guess the tournament got tired of soft balling them to me today, though, because it's the first time I'm up against people higher rank than me and I get three of them. I don't have high hopes.

First game was a Japanese team at rank 40, with a Fencing Fox and a Robbin Huddle. I luck out magnificently, and both Timid and Yellow-Belly activate for them. I wipe the board with C-C-Cold Breath afterward.
    Second was another Japanese team, rank 11, Pan Piper, Beshemoth Slime, and Drohl Diabolist. No idea what this team does. (Still have no idea) I hit them all with C-C-Cold Breath, they all survive. The Pan Piper and Drohl attack my slime and kill it, and the Beshemoth slime attacks my Night Knight for around 50 damage. I C-C-Cold Breath again, Pan Piper and Drohl die, Beshemoth is still standing and it uses Meditate to heal for 400. I've basically lost at this point. It just whittles me down with melee attacks while I can't do anything.
    Third was a Japanese team, rank 291, just a Dracky, Slime, and Swarmtrooper. Instant win.
    Fourth was the Canadian team Randomite again, rank 177, Boreal Dragon and Slime. Looks like he's been leveling since this time his Boreal Dragon goes first and kills my Slime. Scorch wipes them both out.
    Fifth was a US team named DXX, rank 55, Rubble Slime, Wild Boarfish, and Firespirit. I move first and use C-C-Cold Breath, wiping them out.

Went 4-1, way better than I was expecting at first. Which is good because without any away points whatsoever, I need as many home points as I can get to keep my rank.

• Options
    There are a couple of easily gotten skillsets with Meditate you could add to your Night Knight -- Champion being one of the better ones, as it's basically a Paladin-esque skillset. Healing, buffing, anti-demon, anti-undead, etc etc. Double-edged Slash, Demon Demeaner, Double Up, Oomph, Undead Undoer, Meditation, Oomphle, Sag Guard. You can get it quite easily, too -- Wild Slimes in Iceolation have it.

So far today I've gotten 2 out of my 3 Conklave XYs to level 100, and the last one is level 80. I've scouted a moosifer, a great dragon, a pazuzu, and that big ugly undead mage thing in the undead pillar room -- Exorsus or whatnot. It's kinda depressing as he's not really used for anything special, outside of making other size2 not-quite-bosses that you see in the OTHER pillar rooms (the dominatrix demon girl, the, er, dominatrix plant girl (Akira Toriyama, get a girlfriend), Dual Duelers, etc etc).

• Options
    Does Meditate take SP?

He basically only has exactly enough SP to use his breath attacks twice at the moment.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Meditate costs 8 SP.

• Options
    I mean, I'm staying afloat right now at around rank 65 each day. So hopefully I can keep that up. Once I get a Schleiman Tank I can start focusing on doing other things until I'm ready for Scout rank.

And I'll probably just enter each week in the meanwhile to get an easy Maniacal Mole for free Boom Boxer/Martial Artist/Healer, since I want to get a few Uber Health Boosts.

• Options
    So after bitching about my lack of away points yesterday, I got 40 last night. Maybe I've just been getting unlucky all week?

Started at rank 55 today thanks to my extra away points.

Won't do the full writeup today, but I thought I had an easy day, lowest rank team was 89. Unfortunately rank 89 was a lone Spitnik that moved before me, and Kaboomle'd me for 350 damage. Surprised he's so high ranking! Maybe he missed a day or something. No Drohl Diabolist for me today.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Day 21:

My Conklave XYs are out of the cooker. All 3 level 100, all 3 max stats, all 3 ready to kill. 2 with Metal King Swords, 1 with a Lost Katana. Still not sure if swords that are "good against a certain family" help in scouting.

Bred a Bone Baron, which I used to breed a Roseguardin.

Bred a Mumboe Jumboh after a significant amount of annoyance. Most of the work was getting Living Armors and then random material monsters from the material rooms in the dark world to make Jums. This was made more difficult than it had to be due to the only material rooms that appear being (as far as I know) the I shaped hallways, not the + shape ones.

Bred a Ruin with MbJb and a random Living Statue, then made Psaro, then bred Psaro with my Alabast Dragon to make Dhoulmagus.

Scouted Arcdemon and a Great Dragon, making Belial. Scouted Gryphon from the ruins and Pazuzu from the Dark world, made Jamarius, then bred Jamarius with Belial to make Gemon (the black bird boss).

Bred Hargon and Gemon to get Baramos.

Bred Baramos with Khalamari to make Nimzo.

Beat Estark in 6 turns with my scouting team. They were doing 1600 damage a hit, and hitting 4 times. Each. That's 38400 damage a turn if they all attack twice. They obviously still need work -- the damage cap is 2000 damage a hit. 1600 is unacceptable. Worse, I could have went faster if I had been using Trembels of Tension or Oomph Powders on my own team.

Bred Nimzo and Estark to make Mortamor.

Bred Mortamor and Dhoulmagus to make Rhaphtorne 1.

I have Rhapthorne 1 and Zoma ready to breed, which will get me Rhapthorne 2 (in fact, I might have done that as I passed out last night), but Rhapthorne 1 has quite a few random unique skillsets that I want to evaluate before I do. Namely, I'm interested in if I can use Rhapthorne 2 to sweep the Ultra Scout league. I'd need self healing and the ability to spit out breath attacks and/or huge magic attacks. Preferably, both.

In fact, I'm tempted to breed Rhapthorne 2 with my Maniacle Mole, because Uber Health Boost would give him survivability and the ability to do more damage with breath attacks, and "Wonder Construction" has an ability like Magic Burst, but it's PHYSICAL (All your MP in pure damage against one target). It's the ultimate anti-giant monster attack, since it hits enemies randomly. If it's a giant monster, only one target, and it does 2000+ damage when you take into effect all the stats...

So yeah, you could say that Day 21 was a "good day" for DQMJ2. At this rate, with me trading over the Captain Crow from my Import cart (haven't tried that yet), I'll be all set for getting Rigor Mortex before the game's officially been out a month.

OCD? Never heard of it. Is that something I can scout, or do I have to breed it?

Next up -- I need a second Alabast Dragon, and a Gem Slime. Gem Slime is something absurd like 2 Grandpa Slime and 2 Balhibs, so I'm cut off for a bit -- apparently Balhibs can be gotten for beating Eugene Poole in the postgame, but I'm holding off on that until I can rob him blind with a weak monster (metal slime) using Klepto Klobber.

Rhapthrone 1 has Drain Magic, Kadim, Kasnooze, Clang, Spooky Aura, Cold Blizzard, Kaswoosh, Kacrack, Death Dance in his skillset, Rhapthorne 2 has Dazzle, Sweet Breath, Spooky Aura, Shadow Slash, C-C-Cold Breath, Disruptive Wave, Kazammle, Kaboomle, Comeback Kid.

So That's not bad. Ultimate Cold Breath, Ultimate Dark Magic, Ultimate Boom Magic... One of his parents would be Zoma, so there's Big Banga...

Mortamor is one of his grandparents, and Mortamor has Meditation... but nothing else really stellar.

Theorycrafting is fun!

KiTA on
  • Options
    It looked like I might actually 5-0 the day, but a Japanese teeny sanguini (stun at start/Oomph) - beetlebully (attack for 750 damage) - demon (status breath) team slaughtered me. And they were 800+ in the standings; must have just shown up yesterday or forfeited everything.

• Options
    Went 3-2 today

One loss to the rank 6 team which was an Anchorman, Snowmangler, and Hyper Heyedra. All I got to see was the Hyper Heyedra use Big Banga.
    Second loss was to a really buff Bodkin Archer with over 400HP

I started the day at rank 61, however, so barring some incredible shenanigans I ought to stay under 100 today and get my Tank tomorrow

• Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    Eugene Poole comes back for more. I think he's always around somewhere. I"ve fought him three or four times, but all I get is Level 50 Conklaves.

Went 5-0 in scout today and scored the Mole. I'm just working him up now so I can get Uber-health. I'll likely keep that and Wonder COnstruction and breed him into something I can win Rookie with. I pulled 260-something in scout league this week with only 3 days of battling with a random assortment from my stable. I'm going to try and get in the top 100 this week then move back down to Rookie. Rookie seems like the most difficult (or at least work intensive) place to hang. Staying in it is rough and you really have to pay attention to where your monster is at, level/stat-wise. I want that tank, though.

• Options
    Awwww yeah, ended the week at rank 64 in Rookie

Got me my tank

Which I can't use yet because I can't use giant monsters yet

In fact it won't even let me see the skills, so anyone who has gotten the tank off Wifi, what skills does it come with?

I hear Stormsgate Citadel comes with all five Uber stat skills

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Awwww yeah, ended the week at rank 64 in Rookie

Got me my tank

Which I can't use yet because I can't use giant monsters yet

In fact it won't even let me see the skills, so anyone who has gotten the tank off Wifi, what skills does it come with?

I hear Stormsgate Citadel comes with all five Uber stat skills

My tank came with five Uber stat skills (Health, Magic, Attack, Defense, Agility). Ended up at 157 in Scout, so I just got a KMS with Attack III, Defense III, Agility III. Not too exciting; I'm almost wishing I had forfeited the last day or two to drop back into the 200s.

• Options
    So I'm not trying to sit down and turn my Maniacal Mole into Uber Health Boost

It was pretty smooth sailing up until around 100 SP, but now it feels like it's taking forever

Is there any trick to synthing stuff to get up to that 300 SP I need?

• Options
    The only trick I can think of is this: make sure it and its breeding partner has as many skills as possible (could even use a skill book to give it another) -- the more skills the monster has, the faster its SP builds up. So you could breed the skills onto a larger monster that gets more skills, then try to save up.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    So I'm not trying to sit down and turn my Maniacal Mole into Uber Health Boost

It was pretty smooth sailing up until around 100 SP, but now it feels like it's taking forever

Is there any trick to synthing stuff to get up to that 300 SP I need?

Level him up a bit, then breed him away with the phoenix rod, making sure he keeps the 3 required skills that he comes with each time.

Think Level 21 is the cutoff, levels 11 and 21 both get extra big amounts of SP in order to reward people who get that far.

• Options
    I'm planning on moving the skills over to something else anyway (going to put it on my monster that has Uber Breath and Champion), but I've been keeping him as a mole just because his traits are nice for grinding.

But if more skills mean more SP, maybe I'll synth him into an Abyss Diver, which seems to level absurdly fast.

• Options
    I don't think more skills = more SP. There are certain levels that get a bonus, 11 and 21 for sure, I think 51 and 76 as well?

• Options
    Capture a couple of wild slimes (or whatever else), one with a guard skill, one without. Let them level up together. The one with the third skill will have more total SP to spend; I've seen this happen when I was leveling up slimes for my slime X.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up, and had a quick question on metal slimes.
    I fight some in Treepidation that drop 88 xp, which I thought was pretty lame.
    There is one in the Ice area that gives 1k+ xp.
    Why is that?

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    38thDoe wrote:
    Just picked this up, and had a quick question on metal slimes.
    I fight some in Treepidation that drop 88 xp, which I thought was pretty lame.
    There is one in the Ice area that gives 1k+ xp.
    Why is that?

the ones in Treepidation are "Meddle Slimes", in Iceolation they're proper "Metal Slimes"

Incidentally, if you recruit a "Meddle Slime", it becomes a proper Metal Slime anyway, they're just really easy to recruit (and start at level 1)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh, I noticed they said meddle slime, I thought it was a translation issue.
    So I'm currently using a jargon and a powie yowie. I have a great drakey and was thinking of making a treeface with him, but I have a boreal dragon and its pretty worthless for its two slots so I am hesitant to make the treeface. Also I was going to make the jargon into a dragurn because the fast learner trait gives the whole party bonus exp? That seems really helpful.
    I could also make a slime stack with my great drakey which has fast learner. The Great D has Agility Boost II. Haven't unlocked any other skillsets.

Play in the world tournament, managed one match with my team before getting annihilated 4 times. Somehow a Jargon, powie yowie and shell slime got me scout class.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I rather liked Treeface cause of his regeneration ability, but I don't think he did that much more damage than a single monster. He might have just been a caster type, though, so...

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Very nearly have my first S-rank monster.

Have a level 21 King Slime, a level 30 Wailin' Weed, and a freshly synthed Cross Bones.

Need to level the Cross Bones to 21, synth that again to make a Fright Knight, level that to 21 to synth with my Wailin' Weed for a Tortured Soul

Then finally synth the Tortured Soul and King Slime together for a Wight King with Bang & Crack III, Frizz & Zap III, and Cleric; the eventual goal being to raise something with Woosh & Zam to synth Uber Mage onto him, and then something with Healer and Cleanser to synth Uber Healer onto him. And then probably Uber Health Boost or something further in the long run.

Not the most strictly optimized set, but it requires no end game synthing to make.

EDIT: Ugh, Cross Bones takes so long to level :(

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Is there a skill chart somewhere? I'm not sure what plus what equals what. Have Frizz and Bang II on a lesser demon, was going to see if there was a three while getting it up to archdemon. Also, thanks for all the info in this thread.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    38thDoe wrote:
    Is there a skill chart somewhere? I'm not sure what plus what equals what. Have Frizz and Bang II on a lesser demon, was going to see if there was a three while getting it up to archdemon. Also, thanks for all the info in this thread.

Quick note: Any skill that takes less than 100 points to master will give a new, upgraded skill when synthesized while complete. For most of these, you can even split up the points across both parents (e.g., two slimes, each with 25 points in Agility, will give access to Agility II in their child).

• Options
    So I started raising some Conklaves on the side to prep for making my first XY

And holy shit, Conklave X is easily the best metal killing monster I've acquired so far

• Options
    Thanks, that site has good info and isn't blocked by work (yet).

New question, for the wifi tournament, do you have to have the exact same team every day of the week? Same exp and everything? Or just stay in the same rank.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    38thDoe wrote:
    Thanks, that site has good info and isn't blocked by work (yet).

New question, for the wifi tournament, do you have to have the exact same team every day of the week? Same exp and everything? Or just stay in the same rank.

Just stay in the same rank.

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Breaking Dragon Quest news from Japan. Okay, not really important, but I thought this thread would be amused by it.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-05/dragon-quest-slime-pork-buns-planned-by-familymart

• Options
    Slime stack speakers!
    390265977.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Wow... the current number one ranked rookie team is a skipper, an argon lizard, and one of those voodoo masks...
    The voodoo mask has magic regenerator and meditation. It can cast meditation every turn, and my Tyrannosaurs cannot kill it.
    I selected forfeit after 53 rounds. Most annoying team ever.

Didn't realize if you forfeit once you are out for the day. That's awful. For some reason the number one rated team was my second fight.

Ugh.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I ran into that a while back (forfeit = lose this match and all others after it). If you choose not to submit your results after the battles, then you can retry with a different team but you'll still be facing the same battles. Ideally, you find a team that would lose to that one straight up but can defeat the others.

I wonder sometimes how teams like that get such high rankings, though, since they don't seem like they can really win many home matches. I must be missing something in how they are built.

• Options
    HuddsMagruderHuddsMagruder Registered User regular
    I ran into that same situation two days ago... It was a single megalodon and I just couldn't hit it hard enough to take it down. Also in the second match. They must make up all their points in away matches. Other than that, it's been a good week, I've gone 5-0 or 4-1 every other day but Wednesday. I'm just below the Top 100 as of yesterday's rankings, 148 or something. Can't check today's for another few hours, so it'll have to wait until after work. I was up to 73 on monday morning. Next week I need to go after rookie level. I've got a few little guys with potential that I might let have a whack at it.

• Options
    I should try and put my Wight King in Rookie next time I synth him.

Uber Mage + Meditate + Magic Regenerator + Immune to all attack magic

• Options
    I seem to be in good shape in Scout this week, running 76th place coming into today and then going 5-0 against weak teams for my Drohl Diabolist. Looks like he comes with a skill-set for Uber Agility, for some reason (Thief/Icemeister/Decelerate Ward).

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I managed to get a great dragon in on the rookie tour today, went 4-0 with c-c-cold breath.
    Only thing that got me was a firespirit that instakilled me with kafrizzle.
    Does spell damage scale with wisdom or is it always around the same level? Or did his firespirit just have a ton of wisdom? Because he had two other monsters, and I couldn't even shoehorn a terrible level one monster in with my great dragon.

Also that King Squid at the shore is pretty hard to scout.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Spell damage scales with wisdom, but the firespirit gets bonuses to his frizz damage. We think that traits have a cost as well, and immunities (like your great dragon's breath immunity) seem to be expensive.

• Options
    HuddsMagruderHuddsMagruder Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I ran into some stiff competition today and went 3-2. It's gotten to the point where I'm terrified of Rank E and D monsters and I don't bat an eye at the big stuff. If they get something big into Scout it is usually too low level to be of much use unless it is alone. Ranking today at 145. I can taste the top 100. I hope I can get enough away points and wins tomorrow to be able to jump up the ranks a bit. Then I need to look into putting together a team for Rookie.

EDIT: My posts keep starting off with "I ran into..." Crazy.

HuddsMagruder on