Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fuck Sheriff Joe : Birf! Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
America's Favorite Sheriff has decided to go a-birfing.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/09/sheriff_joe_arpaio_assigns_cold_case_posse_to_inve.php

... I can't make this shit up, folks. Seriously - not enough drugs in the world.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
Spoiler:
«13

Posts

  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The Surprise Tea Party;o) I'm loving this article.

    Edit: I read the article and I still have no idea what does he actually intends to do, but my guess is - nothing.

    zeeny on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    facepalm.jpg

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • Nova_CNova_C Social Justice Haruspex Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    You laugh at that, but I've dealt with the National Enquirer and their stories are always right down the line, believe it or not.

    This article is amazing.

    My blog: www.jonathanirons.net
    My Twitter: IronBorealis
    Be advised, I'm not the best at keeping either updated. >.>
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Nova_C wrote:
    You laugh at that, but I've dealt with the National Enquirer and their stories are always right down the line, believe it or not.

    This article is amazing.

    Hmmmmmmmmmm.

    http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/national-enquirer-sarah-palin-had-fling-with-former-laker-glen-rice_b38845

    EDIT: Oh damn it. This might actually be true and not very important.

    I was looking for something like "Sarah Palin alien babys!"

    No-Quarter on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I bet the cold case squad just loves this. It's like a week of vacation.

    History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    "that no law enforcement agency or other duly constituted government agency has conducted an investigation into the Obama birth certificate to determine if it is in fact an authentic copy of 1961 birth records on file for Barack Obama at the Hawaii Department of Health in Honolulu, or whether it, or they are forgeries."

    You heard it hear folks, the FBI and Secret Service: not law enforcement or government agencies. Also, Joe seems to somehow think Federal investigations are in his jurisdiction.

    But this article is worth it entirely because I half expected the Suprise Tea Party to be an ironic front group for internet pranksters.

  • TachTach Registered User regular
    And only Sherriff Joe & The Men In Black know that the tabloids are the best investigative journalism on the planet.

    BNsig.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Surprise Tea Party!

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Just... Just, the worstRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Surprise Tea Party!

    Pyscho-Tea-Party.jpg

    Taking bets on whether they:

    A. "Find out" Obama's birth certificate isn't real, but aren't willing to share the proof or, alternately, forged the proof themselves

    B. Let this rile people up into a lather for a nice approval boost, and then never mention it again (bonus points if someone asks Joe about this later and he handwaves it away as "it's an ongoing investigation")

    C. Actually find proof of a forgery (I give odds of approximately three thousand, seven hundred twenty to one)

    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, if I could get a 3D printer that could fabricate a vagina, I'd never leave the house again.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Oh for the love of God I think I just lost a few more brain cells. How much money is he going to spend on this?

    camo_sig2.png
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I'm glad we've got our best man on the job!

  • Fallout2manFallout2man Registered User regular
    Tach wrote:
    And only Sherriff Joe & The Men In Black know that the tabloids are the best investigative journalism on the planet.

    Good to know I'm not the only one who made that connection...I guess Sheriff Joe thinks Obama's a secret Lizardman! ;p

    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

    Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Just... Just, the worstRegistered User regular
    I could calculate the odds of Joe actually coming forward and saying the investigation concluded that Obama really is seriously an American.

    The post character count limit would prohibit me from disclosing it to you, though.

    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, if I could get a 3D printer that could fabricate a vagina, I'd never leave the house again.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    joshofalltrades, that cartoon is lol.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    This is actually pretty good for the sane among us. The birthers will get a little quieter now that someone they admire is investigating the matter, and Arpaio will have at least a small distraction from fucking up his county.

    The libertarian response to anything is, "Sure, that works fine in practice, but it doesn't fly in theory."
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

    steam_sig.png
  • override367override367 misogynist/MRA/socially irresponsible Registered User regular
    We should write Perry and plead with him to throw his support behind Joe's investigation.

    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Part of me sees this as Joe re-establishing himself in the Conservative limelight. Hoping to grab a VIP nomination much?

    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Brb, carving crop circles around Sheriff Birf's county.

  • mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Oh, I get it.
    World Net Daily, perhaps the last bastion for birther holdouts (an article on Arpaio also touts the book "Where's The Birth Certificate?" by WND columnist Jerome Corsi), says that the "Cold Case Posse" will subsist on donations from birthers nationwide.

    I gotta hand it to Sheriff Joe, that's a hell of a way to pay for your legal defense costs.

    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    i just what the i don't even

  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Once more I am glad as fuck that I moved the hell out of Phoenix.

  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive Damn these electric sex pants! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Surprise Tea Party!

    It's the English version of a flashmob.

    Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

    Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.

    steam_sig.png
  • chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Is it just me or can he now say any federal investigations into his activities is an attempt by the White House to prevent anyone from looking into the "truth" about the birth certificate? It won't convince the sane among us but I could see it buying him another term as Pima County sheriff.

    chaosbear on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    When I read "Surprise Tea Party", I could only imagine the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit.

    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

    Height: 5' 11" Weight: 225 Goal: 200
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

    Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.
    He's free to investigate whatever he wants. But I'm pretty sure any subpoenas his office issues to Hawaii government officials will be ignored.

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

    Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.
    He's free to investigate whatever he wants. But I'm pretty sure any subpoenas his office issues to Hawaii government officials will be ignored.

    Why would they be ignored? What do Hawaiian government officials have to hide? Sheriff Joe just wants to get to the bottom of an issue that's already resolved and he has no jurisdiction over, is it too much to ask that they hop on a plane (at their own expense, Arizona has budget problems) to help get the truth out?

    camo_sig2.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    I just don't have the energy to keep getting outraged this moron. If idiots in Arizone keep wanting him in then let them stew in their own filth. Fuck it.

  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    At this point, the only thing that I can manage to convince myself might be true is that Sheriff Joe is actually intentionally trolling the nation. Otherwise some of his claims from that article are just too crazy for him to function in society.

  • dragonsamadragonsama Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be). but honestly can we let the Birther thing go? I said for a while I think Obama should have released the long for certificate it shows he was born in Hawaii. Also his mother was a US citizen so he he still would have been one anyways because of that.

    The Birth certificate thing is a stupid distraction and needs to stop. If Sheriff Joe wanted to do something to help stop Obama he should be raising funds for the upcoming election and campaign for a candidate he thinks can beat Obama. not going out and doing this.

  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be)..

    This probably infuriates and confuses you, then
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/07/inside-stylish-prison-where-norways-shooter-could-be-headed/40518/

    ceres wrote: »
    Skoal Cat is correct.
  • Fallout2manFallout2man Registered User regular
    If anything I think Sheriff Joe's smart and knows he's on the way out. The feds are just going to laugh at him the moment he starts telling them what he can/cannot do. I think he just wants to stir people up at this point in hopes it just might help him remain in power by focusing people's attention away from him and towards some external made-up enemy. If it's the big bad federal government stepping on an honest Sheriff's desire for the truth! Well, that narrative could be an easy sell and might help him win another term if he sets himself up as some kind of anti-federal crusader.

    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

    Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

    Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

    Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.
    He's free to investigate whatever he wants. But I'm pretty sure any subpoenas his office issues to Hawaii government officials will be ignored.

    so police jurisdiction is irrelevant? Thought conservatives were big on wasting taxpayers money

  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

    Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

    Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

    Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

    Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

    Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

    tea-1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

    Right.

    Didn't even think of that.

    Yeah! What he said!

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User
    moniker wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

    Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

    Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

    Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

    Some people are also sentenced to serve time in jail, but yes, lots of folks who haven't even seen a judge go there. Including people who were arrested when someone lies to the cops and the whole thing is later thrown out...

    ceres wrote: »
    Skoal Cat is correct.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

    Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

    Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

    Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

    Some people are also sentenced to serve time in jail, but yes, lots of folks who haven't even seen a judge go there. Including people who were arrested when someone lies to the cops and the whole thing is later thrown out...
    In 2010, about 61 percent of jail inmates were unconvicted and being held pending arraignment or were awaiting trial or conviction.
    [ cite ]

    Some, yes, but a significant minority.

    moniker on
    tea-1.jpg
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.