As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying Acrylic Paints

ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, guys! I'm going to go buy some acrylic paints tonight, for painting, and I was wondering what brands you might recommend, or what an essential working palette might consist of? Which color paints are necessary for a full breadth of color?

Projeck on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do you have a price range? Are you buying online or do you plan to go to the store?

• Options
    I'm going to a store (probably Michael's unless I need to hit up a specialty shop). I'd like to keep things relatively affordable, less than $100 (the cheaper the better). I already have brushes and disposable palettes and etc.

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Liquitex is a good brand. As for colors, are you painting something specific? Usually you'll choose the hues based on subject matter.

It's been a while since I did the basic utility palette but if I recall correctly I would use:
    Mars Black
    Titanium White
    Yellow Light Hansa
    Cadmium Yellow Medium (Hue)
    Alizarin Crimson
    Cadmium Red (Hue)
    French Ultramarin Blue
    Pthalo Blue

(Hues are going to be more affordable and less toxic than true Cadmiums).

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I would add Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, and a Van Dyke Brown to that list. Depends on what you're painting, but sometimes you really need to start with some neutrals.

Also, buy big tubes of black and white, and tiny tubes of everything else. Once you know what colors you use the most, you can buy bigger tubes of them.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    And if you're going to Michael's, bring one of their 40 or 50% off coupons from their website.

Not because you'll save a ton of money buying your paints there, but that is at least by how much their stuff is overpriced.
    SLyM is mai masin pertnar in the Mejora's Mesk Phellah

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    @Figgy has it right. Check to see if your Walmart has those brands. I learned quickly in my area for basic arts and crafts Walmart/any non specialty store will sell it for at least 50% cheaper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    All good advice. Thanks, everyone! I should be able to make an informed decision now.