As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick electronics / wiring question

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a handful of small 12v batteries and a handful of 12v light bulbs. I obviously want to light the bulbs up with the batteries. Wiring the lights together in parallel does the trick just fine, but since these are tiny batteries they don't keep the lights running for too long before dying.

Will wiring multiple batteries in parallel give me the longevity I'm looking for? I know it increases the current when I do that, and not the voltage, but I don't know if that'd cause damage to the bulbs or not, or if that'd even help battery life.

Ein on

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Are you internally trying to kill the batteries? If you are what you are looking for is probably a "Joule Thief" circuit. That lights an LED and draws very very very little power.
    It's used to kill batteries that are almost dead. They steal the last if the energy, hence a "Joule Thief"

• SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Assuming my understanding of electronics is valid (and I'd be willing to bet a lightbulb on it), you'll be fine to wire the batteries in parallel.