As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Person of Interest] Where Jesus is Batman

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    "When the whole world is watched, filed, indexed, numbered, the only way to disappear is to appear, hiding our true identities inside a seemingly ordinary life."

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

addendum: I don't think very many shows get me this excited for a season 4 premier with relatively little advertisement on their part.

Trace on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Samaritan Question/Curiosity
    I'm genuinely surprised that Root didn't have to steal servers to cover a couple other people, namely:

Fusco
    Elias
    Possibly others.

Fusco is a known associate. Decima wouldn't hesitate to bump him off. As it stands, I don't see Fusco surviving this season. And with Elias, sure, he's evil, but he's been pretty pivotal to the needs of Finch and Reese. While they can survive without him, he's proven extraordinarily useful in unforeseen conditions (prison with Reese, post-prison-escape with Joss, etc).

Priest on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Season Premiere Ramblings:
    -Even unshackled, Samaritan is still playing with the same deck as the Machine, hence its limited omniscience with some of the crazier stuff John and Shaw did in the episode?
    -Elias!
    -criminals building a wireless network to circumvent detection and the machine gang appropriating it for their own use, I can buy into that
    -I missed the details in the graphic overlay, but that blonde "DEA" agent that showed up after the kid is rescued, was she an operative or labelled a threat by Samaritan? Oh she was from the opening sequence so operative
    -John getting Carter's desk at the end...*feels*
    -Shaw joining that crew as the wheelman, I am guessing the Machine is going to have the crew and John intersect down the road that results in a setback for Samaritan

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    -Even unshackled, Samaritan is still playing with the same deck as the Machine, hence its limited omniscience with some of the crazier stuff John and Shaw did in the episode?
    -Elias!
    -criminals building a wireless network to circumvent detection and the machine gang appropriating it for their own use, I can buy into that
    -I missed the details in the graphic overlay, but that blonde "DEA" agent that showed up after the kid is rescued, was she an operative or labelled a threat by Samaritan? Oh she was from the opening sequence so operative
    -Shaw joining that crew as the wheelman, I am guessing the Machine is going to have the crew and John intersect down the road that results in a setback for Samaritan
    • Re #4: Also, every time she shows up on Samaritan, her name and SSN are redacted, her alias is different, and her function is listed as operative. At the end, when she's driving off, her mandate is set to eliminate threat to system survival, mode: seek and destroy
    • I also loved the beat with Joss' desk
    • I so wanted the journalist at the start to live. I <3 Marshall (from In Plain Sight)
    • How... why did Romeo pick up an accomplice off Tindr? Huh?? Is Machine instructing them too?
    • Really? The ethics of high frequency econometrics is an obscure field? I mean, it's not multimillion dollar research grant stuff, but there's certainly a lot of interest in it.
    • The music at the end was f-ing epic. As soon as it was shown there were typos in the thesis, I knew that was a coded message. BUT WHAT DID FINCH DISCOVER?!

I also really like that Samaritan's UI is plain white. The black background used to give Machine a sort of mysterious, sinister vibe, and now that Samaritan's giving off that same vibe on a white background, it really turns things on its head.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I am so happy season 4 has started, you guys.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    hippofant wrote: »
    -Elias!
    • Re #4: Also, every time she shows up on Samaritan, her name and SSN are redacted, her alias is different, and her function is listed as operative. At the end, when she's driving off, her mandate is set to eliminate threat to system survival, mode: seek and destroy
    • I also loved the beat with Joss' desk
    • I so wanted the journalist at the start to live. I <3 Marshall (from In Plain Sight)
    • How... why did Romeo pick up an accomplice off Tindr? Huh?? Is Machine instructing them too?
    • Really? The ethics of high frequency econometrics is an obscure field? I mean, it's not multimillion dollar research grant stuff, but there's certainly a lot of interest in it.
    • The music at the end was f-ing epic. As soon as it was shown there were typos in the thesis, I knew that was a coded message. BUT WHAT DID FINCH DISCOVER?!

I also really like that Samaritan's UI is plain white. The black background used to give Machine a sort of mysterious, sinister vibe, and now that Samaritan's giving off that same vibe on a white background, it really turns things on its head.
    Regarding bolded. The Machine probably set it up so her profile would "ping" for those criminals.

Also we literally have a Batcave now.

Trace on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I love this show so much for being so willing to go miles out from its original premise and scope. It's like a whole show full of Final Season Angel and Fringe.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    First - and I've said this before in other venues, whoever is the Music/Audio Director for this show deserves to either already be making a stupid amount of money, or should get a serious raise. Time and again this show has used tracks just 'perfect' for the moment - in every instance, they had the correct pace, tone, and evocative nature for the scene at hand. Favorites off the top of my head:

Spoilered for size/content:
    Season One:
    - Handsome Boy Modeling School: "The Truth" - S1E02
    - Cat Power: "New York" - End of episode that John meets Zoe.
    - Nina Simone: Sinnerman 'Veni Vidi Vici' from Elias.
    - Mogwai: "I Know You Are, But What Am I?" - Saving the East German and her Daughter.
    - Polica: "Amongster" - Saving Jordan Hester from the Identity Thief.
    - UNKLE: "Burn My Shadow" - Rescuing Taylor from Elias.
    - Nina Simone: Ne me quitte pas : Elias' Arrest
    - UNKLE: "Lonely Soul" - Finch doubting if his machine really does save lives.
    - Dangermouse feat. Flaming Lips: "Revenge" - Reese wounded by his past.

Season Two:
    - Black Keys: "She's Long Gone" - After Rescuing/Empowering the Diplomats Daughter.
    - Cat Power: "The Greatest" - Irish Mobster dies for his love.
    - John Lee Hooker: "It Serves You Right To Suffer" - Hardware Store Owner in contemplation. (John Lee Hooker was featured in this whole episode)
    - Moby: "One of these Mornings" - Finch & Grace
    - The Rolling Stones: "Gimme Shelter" - FBI Capture the Man in the Suit.
    - The Who: "Eminence Front" - Reese gets out of jail.
    - The Kills: "Future Starts Slow" - Shaw "dies."

Season Three:
    Nina Simone: "Feeling Good (Cover)" - Elias & Scarface back in the saddle.
    Johnny Cash: "Hurt (Cover)" - John's Rampage.
    Daughter: "Medicine" - Finch leaves the team, Samaritan activates.
    Radiohead: "Exit Music (For A Film)" - Samaritan is born.

Season Four:
    Jetta: "I'd Love To Change The World" - Finch finds a new home.

Many of these songs I'd heard before, but the show has also introduced me to a ton of music I never knew of before that I love. In particular, their use of Nina Simone, Johnny Cash, Daughter, and Radiohead just kinda make my jaw drop. Some seriously powerful scenes there.

@hippofant regarding Finch's discovery:
    The Machine guided him to a book on the history of the New York Underground. Following the directions the Machine laid out, Finch discovered an abandoned subway station (it was really dark, so I understand if not everyone saw some of the markings on the walls).

RE: S4E01
    Squee!
    Love it. It's like a whole new origin story. They definitely set the tone for being afraid of Samaritan regarding the blonde operative. She will become a big player this season, I imagine.

The music at the end was just perfect for Finch & Shaw, discovering that the Machine hasn't abandoned them to a mundane life of survival. Reese taking Carter's desk.... man, right in the heartstrings. I'm really really really curious to know what Root's cover is though. Also, I really liked the actor that played Ali - dont' know why, just resonated with me a lot.

Priest on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yes. I've never seen a show that used licensed music so well. And by so well, I mean perfectly. Every single time it has been perfect.

I think the sequence with Cash's Hurt is among the best TV ever made.

• Options
    Yeah, that scene did with Hurt what Cash did with Hurt. It was pretty powerful tv.

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    I believe I have read somewhere that two of the executive producers (one of them Jonathan Nolan) insists on personally picking the soundtrack for the show.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Also, seeing Root lecture Finch on the morality of the situation is surreal.

I still don't know whether to classify her as a villain or not. I've always considered her evil, because I felt that the 'good' things she does are only because she is quite literally mentally insane, pathologically subservient to the Machine, and that her view of the Machine as 'God' is the only thing keeping her together. (I mean, lets take a look at her when she thought she had lost contact).

But as time progresses, I feel that she may actually be becoming a hero, after the incident with the Custodian in the NSA Computing Research plant last season and the fact that she wasn't delusional about the Machine being autonomous-super-intelligent (but not quite omniscient due to dependency on video feeds). I'm still conflicted about her. I think it would be easier for me to hate her if she carried a grudge - but she acts so friendly with people she once tried to kill. And to an extent, that worries me even more. What happens if the Machine dies? What if, to save the world and kill Samaritan, Finch has to kill the Machine as well? Would she be able to handle that?

Also, this show has reminded me that I would like a Belgian Malinoit.

Priest on
  • Options
    http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/IFT

Hi guys. Rewatch the first episode of season four, or at least the ending.

• Options
    oh god dammit it's IRT.

nevermind my eyes suck

• Options
    Triple post.

I'm hoping we jump between SPOV (Samaritan POV) and MPOV (Machine POV) every other episode.

I'd very much like visual evidence that The Machine is still alive and Samaritan hasn't killed it and dug through her brain and this entire thing isn't a clever ploy by Samaritan to lure out Team Machine.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    Triple post.

I'm hoping we jump between SPOV (Samaritan POV) and MPOV (Machine POV) every other episode.

I'd very much like visual evidence that The Machine is still alive and Samaritan hasn't killed it and dug through her brain and this entire thing isn't a clever ploy by Samaritan to lure out Team Machine.

I think we can be quite certain that sure that that hasn't happened yet, as unlike the name of the final episode of last season, that would be a literal deus ex machina. That and the fact that it speaks to Root through her Cochlear implant now. For all of Roots misgivings, I think she'd know.

Not to mention it'd be unnecessary - there'd be no 'drawing' them out.
    If Samaritan had the Machine's memories, then all it'd have to do is be like 'Hey, British Terminator Chick - go waste two ladies in a Boutique, a guy beneath an underpass, and this professor. And don't forget the dog or so help me god I'll do to you what Fox does to every show in its 1st season."

Also, I want to add that considering John prefers the last name Reese, and we're dealing with a show involving rogue AIs and Government departments, I'm really glad this hasn't turned into any time travelling with a baby with a gal named Sarah Connor. If this had been a long con to reboot Terminator, I would have been displeased. Carry on, Person of Interest, carry on.

Priest on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Priest wrote: »
    Triple post.

I think we can be quite certain that sure that that hasn't happened yet, as unlike the name of the final episode of last season, that would be a literal deus ex machina. That and the fact that it speaks to Root through her Cochlear implant now. For all of Roots misgivings, I think she'd know.

Not to mention it'd be unnecessary - there'd be no 'drawing' them out.
    If Samaritan had the Machine's memories, then all it'd have to do is be like 'Hey, British Terminator Chick - go waste two ladies in a Boutique, a guy beneath an underpass, and this professor. And don't forget the dog or so help me god I'll do to you what Fox does to every show in its 1st season."

Also, I want to add that considering John prefers the last name Reese, and we're dealing with a show involving rogue AIs and Government departments, I'm really glad this hasn't turned into any time traveling with a baby with a gal named Sarah Connor. If this had been a long con to reboot Terminator, I would have been displeased. Carry on, Person of Interest, carry on.
    Except that one of those two ladies could probably whoop the shit out of not actually a British Lady and the guy in the underpass -would- whoop the shit out of the lady. So, Finch and maybe Root would be in trouble and that's if they don't see her coming. These ain't your normal "run up and black bag 'em" sort of people is what I'm getting at.

While I'm sure that The Machine is still alive I'd still like a POV from it. If we don't see it in the next episode then we'll probably see a MPOV for the first time in the season when The Machine decides to sucker punch Samaritan.

Trace on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So like

I realyl want to get into this show

but I have seen only a handful of... season 2 episodes and that has kind of kept me from jumping in because trying to catch up seems like a pain in the ass if you don't/can't pick up the season sets; how rough is jumping straight in going to be at this point?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    It would be a bad idea. You should really start from the beginning in a show like this.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Regarding bolded. The Machine probably set it up so her profile would "ping" for those criminals.

Also we literally have a Batcave now.
    Yeah, but why are they picking up people on Tindr? I get why she's doing it, but unless the Machine's talking to them too and has established a pattern of trust, what gives?
    @hippofant regarding Finch's discovery:
    The Machine guided him to a book on the history of the New York Underground. Following the directions the Machine laid out, Finch discovered an abandoned subway station (it was really dark, so I understand if not everyone saw some of the markings on the walls).
    I thought maybe he saw something extraordinary with that last shot, with the plastic wrap and the gasp. /shrug
    Also, seeing Root lecture Finch on the morality of the situation is surreal.

I still don't know whether to classify her as a villain or not. I've always considered her evil, because I felt that the 'good' things she does are only because she is quite literally mentally insane, pathologically subservient to the Machine, and that her view of the Machine as 'God' is the only thing keeping her together. (I mean, lets take a look at her when she thought she had lost contact).

But as time progresses, I feel that she may actually be becoming a hero, after the incident with the Custodian in the NSA Computing Research plant last season and the fact that she wasn't delusional about the Machine being autonomous-super-intelligent (but not quite omniscient due to dependency on video feeds). I'm still conflicted about her. I think it would be easier for me to hate her if she carried a grudge - but she acts so friendly with people she once tried to kill. And to an extent, that worries me even more. What happens if the Machine dies? What if, to save the world and kill Samaritan, Finch has to kill the Machine as well? Would she be able to handle that?

Also, this show has reminded me that I would like a Belgian Malinoit.

Root was never... evil so much as sociopathic. She had no interest in human beings and saw no value in their existences. She never wanted to kill people for the sake of killing them, but she would if they stood in the way of other priorities. Now her priority is the Machine. She still kills people if they stand in the way of the Machine; I don't know that this makes her less evil really, except that a) we side with the Machine (but really, she's still killing people who threaten a nascent superpowerful nearly omniscient artificial intelligence that views humans as 1s and 0s), and b) their opposition is evil-er.

Interestingly, I wonder if we'll ever see the Machine being/having been wrong, like with Collier's brother.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I was under the impression Root has been doing akimbo kneecapping like Reese and even Shaw ever since her time in the Psych ward.

Edit:
    The Machine was not wrong about Collier's brother. The people looking into the relevant number got it wrong.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I was under the impression Root has been doing akimbo kneecapping like Reese and even Shaw ever since her time in the Psych ward.

Edit:
    The Machine was not wrong about Collier's brother. The people looking into the relevant number got it wrong.

Was the Machine even involved in Collier's brother? I thought that was purely a human error, like there was bad informant or something. I just meant that as an example. So far the Machine's always been right (I think), so it's easy for us to think of it as the "good guy", but....

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Edit:

Was the Machine even involved in Collier's brother? I thought that was purely a human error, like there was bad informant or something. I just meant that as an example. So far the Machine's always been right (I think), so it's easy for us to think of it as the "good guy", but....

I'm not sure about the brother, but there was that guy on the plane.
    The Machine gave the government the number, meaning 'someone's going to bring down the plane to kill this guy'. They assumed they should kill him because it'd be embarrassing, so the Machine had to reroute Reese onto the plane to do their job for them.
    The Machine might give the right numbers, but you'd think it could also predict what the people will do with them, especially that Northern Lights had started to think of them as straight kill orders.

EDIT: Plus, the Machine did get fooled by Root's little act at the end of season 1, so it's not infallible. (Unless it saw through it, and meant her number as a warning. But that's hard to believe, since there was no reason for them to think it was anything other than another number)

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Numbers are not just people that need saving. Sometimes they're the people that need stopping.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Numbers are not just people that need saving. Sometimes they're the people that need stopping.

Yeah, but Northern Lights seemed to have settled into the assumption that it was just the one kind of number.

And as for Root, she was rigging things to get picked. She fooled the team, and either she fooled the Machine as well (it gave her number as someone to save), or it gave Admin her number knowing that she was going to come after them (it gave her number as someone to stop). Either way, it's hard to argue that the Machine is totally 100% infallible in its judgements.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Yeah, but Northern Lights seemed to have settled into the assumption that it was just the one kind of number.

And as for Root, she was rigging things to get picked. She fooled the team, and either she fooled the Machine as well (it gave her number as someone to save), or it gave Admin her number knowing that she was going to come after them (it gave her number as someone to stop). Either way, it's hard to argue that the Machine is totally 100% infallible in its judgements.
    The revelation of Northern Lights itself near the end of season 3 is a much better example of the Machine not being infallible. Reese and Finch might have been fooled by Root's act as a psychiatrist but The Machine wasn't. She was the perpetrator of that episode.

• Options
    Anyone else think it's super creepy when Geth starts liking posts in a thread about a show about hyper-intelligent AI gods duking it out?

Cause I do.

• Options
    I'm used to it now.

• Options
    We should be okay as long as Geth still follows the commands of our human moderators.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Fine. Fine. Just don't come complaining to me when they go looking for the share-space that Geth is housed in and find out that he autonomously moved himself from his home in a Nuclear Facility to god knows where, meanwhile still receiving all of the information piping through Penny-Arcade.

Terminator-enabling jerks.

Although, now, I won't be able to think about Tube without seeing Control.

Priest on
  • Options
    Tonight's Episode:
    Despite having governments and corporations at its beck and call, Samaritan is recruiting its own Analogue Interfaces as assets...yikes.

Next Week's Episode:
    Looks to be a fun Fusco episode!

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Has the new season started?

• Options
    Yes. Episode 2 of the new season just aired on the East coast.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yes. Episode 2 of the new season just aired on the East coast.

Thanks for replying. Which day of the week is it on this season?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    If my comment sounded snarky, that was not my intent. My apologies.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah that was a twist.

And a surprisingly creepy one.

"I Will Protect You Now."

Trace on
  • Options
    Yeah that was a twist.

Re: Math Nerds
    Ya, I think they are prepping her to become Root 2.0.

Overall though, I felt this episode lacked a little je ne sais quoi.
    Can't quite put my finger on it. I don't think they did enough to make me empathize / feel bad for the newest POI. By the end, just for being a dick to Finch, I wouldn't have minded if she got kneecapped. Admittedly I stopped caring how misguided this girl was the moment she pulled that gun out, and cared even less when she shot the car and blamed it on Finch. That was the red flag saying that that girl was going to get someone killed over her fascination with math, and that she didn't care about other individuals.

I felt like they put too much effort into putting a The da Vinci Code's worth of puzzles into 40 minutes, and it didn't quite work out.

Pretty much the only thing that I really enjoyed about this episode was:
    1: Batcave Part II
    2: Root and her Backseat Privileges.
    3: Finch Welding (Semi-pro Machinist here, so Finch just earned his Street Cred with me)

I think the episode would have been more interesting/compelling if instead of this girl, it was a similar storyline but was recruiting Rousseau (the Blonde Samaritan agent from Season Premiere), and was phased as a flashback after 2-3 episodes of Rousseau being around.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah that was a twist.

I'm a little disappointed/surprised Root didn't blow her brains out.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah that was a twist.

I'm a little disappointed/surprised Root didn't blow her brains out.
    It seems like the Machine is having Root stick to a "no kill" operating style. Having Root kill that Congressman sure would have made things easier for the gang. (This statement has probably triggered some flags in a server farm somewhere...) *waves at Samaritan*

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png