As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gears of War XBOX 360] Sell/Unsell me on another console

Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!"Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
For the first time, I'm seriously considering buying an Xbox 360. Mostly thanks to Gears of War 3 and this little beauty;

63y3c4.jpg

I'm already an avid PS3 player, and still nurse an on-going Wow addiction. Am I wrong to want another new system for just one game (well, three games, but y'know)? What are some other Xbox-exclusive gems I might be overlooking? I know that first-person shooters, like Halo and Call of Duty, are a big deal on Xbox LIVE, but I've never cared for them, so that's not a selling point.

I know this post is a flame war begging to happen, so let's skip all the "Sony sucks" and "M$ blows" posts. What I'd really like to have are the opinions of people who have both systems. Did another system (either one) open up a whole new world of gaming possibilities, or did it turn into an expensive dust collector? How do you decide which system to get new games for?

kyrcl.png
Mego Thor on

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    As much as I love my xbox, and I'll probably be harranged for saying this, but it's not really the place to go for amazing boxed exclusives.

What it does do well though is the best versions of multiplats (if they screw up the PC version) and a great XBLA/indie games selection.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Don't be a nub- Gears 3 is one of the best games ever and you should own it and that amazingly hot xbox.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Wow this is a lot of words.

Gears 3 is excellent. And as was said earlier, 360 generally gets the better side of multiplatform games as well as a larger userbase in multiplayer games. I honestly can't think of any really good exclusives offhand except for Halo Reach (I'm not a Halo fan and I love Reach, it's really good) and the Gears series. Fable is pretty decent and we have a Mechwarrior exclusive coming up. The indie games selection is pretty cool and there's even a couple games on there made by forumers here.

PC is the way I prefer to go though I do own a PS3 and 360 and would not have it any other way for the 'just in case' factor. I would say though that the PS3 is the one that seemed to open up more options: Infamous, Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, MAG, Demon's Souls.

This is a tough decision. I would say if money is not an issue go for it. Otherwise just stick to your PS3 as that's probably where all your friends are already.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    How much is that bundle, and how long will it probably be available?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    $400 on Amazon, and no idea. Seems like a deal, since it comes with GoW3, two controllers, and a 350G hard drive.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I have both, and the fact that my PS3 collection is almost all exclusives shows that the 360 is my default choice.
    (The only exceptions are Portal 2 (for the free steam copy) and FFXIII)
    For me, it's mostly down to the controllers, as I massively prefer the 360 one over the Dual Shock (especially the triggers).

If you've got the money and you can justify it, I'd say to go for it.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Gears 3 is pretty much the most co-op fun I've ever had in a shooter so yeah, go for it.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    As much as I love my xbox, and I'll probably be harranged for saying this, but it's not really the place to go for amazing boxed exclusives.

What it does do well though is the best versions of multiplats (if they screw up the PC version) and a great XBLA/indie games selection.

Pretty much this. The 360 gets the best versions of ports usually by far.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!