As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prescription sunglasses

VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I picked up my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses last week after tiring of the long time summer glare. I had a mild change in my eyes between getting my standard clears and my shades (-3.5/-3.75 old vs -3.75/-4.0 new) I can understand the difference. I've been wearing glasses for over 10 years now so I'm well accustomed to the changes. However I've NEVER had a pair that threw off my perception of depth like my new ones do. Clarity wise, everything is absolutely perfect, however it feels like looking at things through a fishbowl and anything less than ~10ft away becomes incredibly hard to just distance. It's most noticable when doing simple tasks like judging where stairs are, or reaching for the radio in the car. The doctors tell me this will go away, but after a week I'm still not able to feel totally comfortable wearing them.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does it infact, go away? I'm guessing it has to do with the vastly different profile of the frames. My clears are almost completely flat faced when viewed from the top down, while the sunglasses have the bridge roughly half an inch further forward than the outer edges. Both pairs have the lenses as thin as they could be made.

These are the buggers in question
http://www.ray-ban.com/international/products/sun/RB3426?var=004/82

Varinn on

• Options
    RobAnybodyRobAnybody Registered User regular
    I had the exact same thing happen when I got my first pair of prescription sunglasses recently. The problem is that for some reason they can't or don't use compact lenses with sunglasses. Different materials or chemical treatments or some such reasoning. Someone who actually works in an optical department could probably provide a more descriptive explanation.

In any event, no, it doesn't really get better. The one time I tried to just deal with it over the course of a vacation, my vision got SLIGHTLY better as I adjusted to it. Then I took them off after returning home and nearly fell over. It took the better part of a day to get used to the feel of my regular glasses again.

My advice: get transition lenses. No, they aren't as good at blocking out bright lights, but they can do the trick in a pinch. Plus, the newer designs transition back from being dark a lot quicker these days. I remember when I first started using them, the stupid things would stay dark for 15-30 minutes when I walked into a dark theater after being outside in the sun. Being effectively blind made it hard to catch that early movie action.

"When a man's hands are even with your head, his crotch is even with your teeth."
    -Ancient Dwarfish Proverb
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Do your sunglasses have curved lenses? Some people have more trouble with curved prescription lenses than other people do.

First off, I would wait 2-3 weeks to see if it's just something you can adjust to like a new prescription. If that doesn't work, most glasses stores/optometrists have excellent return policies if you aren't happy. Check with where you bought them.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Did the place that made your glasses check your pupillary distance?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm going to go back to the doctors tomorrow and see if I can get a double check. Something just seems amiss, and it could very well be my inability to get comfortable with the curved lenses.
    Usagi wrote:
    Did the place that made your glasses check your pupillary distance?
    Yus, they most definitely did

Varinn on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I remember there being a significant difference when I went from standard lenses to high-index lenses years ago. My eyes didn't stop watering for hours. But then once I got used to them everything was so much better.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    Try getting the fit adjusted... when I got my last pair of glasses they were amazingly difficult to get used to, and were actually making me feel nauseous after a while (which made driving not so fun), I went back and they fixed how they fit/how close the frames were to my eyes and it was much much better.

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    After struggling with prescription sunglasses also, I finally went to fit overs. They still look for the most part large and bulky, but OTOH they are generally smaller than "stylish" sunglasses these days, that are required to go over 9/10's of your face if you're female, or only about 7/10's of your face if you're male.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hmm, this is interesting, I usually experience a few seconds where my depth perception seems slightly "off" when I put on my prescription shades, but then it goes away. I had no idea this was such a common problem, or so severe for some people.

And I refuse to give in to the giant sunglasses trend. My sunglasses are more like....J. C. Denton-esque in size.

But I am too poor/cowardly to get my vision augmented Lasik. :(

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure is this is actual fact or just my own experience but.....

You might try a different style of frames. I've been doing prescription lenses in a pair of Wayfarers for 6 years now and never experienced this problem. The wayfarers have a much flatter lens profile than the frames you posted.

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    not knowing all your rx and diffrent glasses and mesurements etc its hard to tell you exactly but this are the most likly causes.

alot of raybans have curved lenses and these in rx form have diffrent prismatic effects to flatter form normal glasses. some people have problems with these but you do get used to them. sometimes it takes a little longer because you have your normal ones on most of the time. ie you are used to your sneekers but when you put on the shoes you have for weddings they feel funny.

also it could be a metter of lenses. some places do made to mesure surficed lenses in your normal glasses then stock lenses in sunnys for a promo.

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I'll second (or third) that it's likely the curve of the glasses that is messing with you.

Very very few prescriptions work well with a curved pair of sunglasses for exactly the reasons that you're describing. A flatter lens will remove almost all of the distortion that you're experiencing. Also, please don't try and drive in those things.

I need to get my prescription updated and a new pair of sunglasses and regulars as well. Thanks for the reminder.

• Options
    also for people put off by this there are meny lens companys that make lenses to counter this effect in curved glasses. userly have names like sports curved lenses, or extra curved lenses and high bace curve lenses.

chances are you will get used to the lenses but it will take a bit of wear.

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    I'll second the suggestion for transition lenses. I've been wearing mine for about 3 months now, and absolutely love them. No real issues with the transition time, as they've really improved on the quickness.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Does anyone who wears prescription sunglasses have a recommendation for someone who is riding a motorcycle?

I'd prefer not to throw on goggles, but I need something that does a bit of a better job in blocking the wind.

Too curved and it'll be the same problem as the OP.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    A full face helmet would probably be the easiest thing, but if the curve is what gets you, a ski mask might be the next best thing. It shouldn't push the bridge of your glasses against your nose, but that's something you'd need to look into. Worst case, try to find a place that'll do prescription diving masks and cut the bottom of the nose away so you can breathe. The lenses will be totally flat, and you'll have a seal.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Does anyone who wears prescription sunglasses have a recommendation for someone who is riding a motorcycle?

I'd prefer not to throw on goggles, but I need something that does a bit of a better job in blocking the wind.

I ride a motorcycle and I personally don't see any justification in NOT wearing a full face helmet, unless you want your face ground off on concrete when the inevitable happens

Varinn on
  • Options
    Yeaaaa...wasn't really looking for a "which style helmet is best" conversation. I have several. One is a half, one is a full. They both get worn for various purposes.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:

for this you RX need to be taken into consideration and your head and your hemet.

some things i have sold and got very good feed back from customers is nike/flexon. not the sunglasses but the normal ones. but then i made sunglaess lenses for them. as they are memory metal they dont get bent up being put on and off with the skid lid, aslo they have scull fit sides that go on with a hemet easyer. and because they are a "sports" make the fit is nice and close to the face blocking out wind. they look as tho they are curved but they are made on a normal base curve so will thake any lenses.

• Options
    Sounds great.

Shame that I can't sort out the flexon frames on Nike's website, but it's certainly a better place to start than I originally had.

Thanks for the suggestion, Conroy!

If you've got links or recommendations, either post 'em here or feel free to send me a PM. Much appreciated.

• Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    I use these:

http://www.solarshield.com/clipon_ultralight_ptx.html

They are spring-loaded, so you pull them apart a little bit and they clip over your glasses. Pretty subtle, work great, polarized lenses. They have different shapes so you should be able to find something close to your glasses. Can pick them up at Walgreens for about $14.