Options

Need a person who knows trumpets/Instrument Sales

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I am selling a Jupiter JTR-1402, it is a professional instrument (from my understanding) and I have been its only owner. That said, searching for a price on said instrument has been anything but consistant. I am being told the new retail price is around $2800 CDN, but I am seeing them listed on some websites from $1500-1800.

Really, I am completely lost when it comes to selling something like this. I need to know if instruments to depreciate in value so significantly, or, if you happen to have such information, what can I reasonably expect to get for this instrument in very good condition?

Comahawk on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Depends on the buyer, and more importantly, how you're planning to sell it.

So, how are you planning on selling it?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Instruments often depreciate rapidly in value with their first few years of ownership and can begin rising again in the near-term if they go out of stock at the maker.

As said, it depends on how you're selling it, and it definitely depends on how good the condition of the instrument is. If you're looking at an early 2000's piece in excellent condition, start making offers at a little under (like 15%) retail and see if you pick up any takers.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Ok, I was going to begin by asking people I know who still play professionally, see if they had anyone who needs/wants a trumpet. Other than that, I was considering posting up flyers around the music department at my university and doing other general advertisements for it. As far as condition, it is in excellent shape, the only damage being to the jupiter logo on the case (they are cheaply done and often bend off ), and I will be having it professionally cleaned before selling it, as it has been in storage for a couple years now.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    to give you some idea, look at ebay compare the used trumpet value for various jupiter models to their retail price and estimate where yours falls in that range.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw=Jupiter+JTR&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=Jupiter+JTR&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Careful craigslisting would be my go to plan. You might try at an instrument repair shop, they tend to know people in need of instruments. Oh, and those prices for used ones at about 1600 is what I would compare it to. If you have a friend play it who knows kinda what he is doing he can tell you if all the tuning slides and valves are fine. if not get it repaired and then sell it, assuming its not unplayable...