As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suspense/Horror movie recommendations!

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    So has anyone seen YellowBrickRoad? I'm very curious about it.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    I mentioned The Mist. Going to check out The Darkness though now.

Be aware, it's really not anything like The Mist. The Mist is the Lovecraftian world after the Old Gods return; Darkness is more like what he wrote about, with weird apocalyptic cults doing creepy shit in the background.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Uzumaki, Spoorloos (The Vanishing), and Kakurenbo are pretty creepy.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    28 Days Later is good. It's got good characters on top of good suspense and a good amount of blood. Hey, it's zombies, so you know what to expect.
    Pitch Black was also mentioned, and I actually enjoyed it. It's got a good story and it's not terribly gory from what I remember. Just ignore that it's the first actual "Riddick" movie.
    I just watched The Thing and loved it. It's gory for sure, and that's really the best part. Everytime they show the "thing" they make a point to render it more disturbingly than the last. It's tense, but some of the story or characterization gets lost amongst the creep factor.
    Silent Hill is also creepy and dark, but mostly the first chunk of the film. Then it kinda derails but still retains the atmosphere.
    I actually really enjoyed 30 Days of Night, about an Alaskan town that enters a month long period of night and is thus the target of hungry Vampires.
    And I haven't seen it yet but I've heard that Jacob's Ladder is pretty creepy and tense.

I must also second Marble Hornets. When I first watched the early entries I haven't felt that freaked out in a long time. I actually couldn't sleep the first night.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote:
    Funny Games (original, not the remake which was actually done by the same director for some reason) is a great exercise in psychological mind-fuckery. I thought about this one for about two weeks after I saw it. Highly recommended to everybody who is looking for these types of films.

High Tension is exactly that, but there is some gore involved if I remember correctly. These are both foreign films BTW.

FUCK High Tension. It was decent to pretty good right up until the "twist". Then I wanted to kill myself and then whoever wrote that horrible movie.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I would put The Shining in the haunted house genre
    So
    Drag Me to Hell
    Poltergeist
    Panic Room
    I'll try to think of more

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Silent Hill is good until about 85% of the way through. Just turn it off after she gets past the nurses and just think of a very scary ending.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Here's a scary story
    Just for shits and giggles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mPy5UPv5A

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    futore asked me this recently, so I will just post my giant ass fuck list I sent him:

Night of the Demons
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Psycho
    Halloween
    Halloween 2
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
    Halloween: H20
    Dracula 2000
    Dracula II: Ascension
    Dracula III: Legacy
    Dracula 3000
    The Exorcist
    The Exorcist 3
    Black Roses
    Friday the 13th
    Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
    Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
    Friday the 13th Part VII: New Blood
    Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
    Jason X
    Friday the 13th (2009)
    Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
    Drainiac
    Uncle Sam
    Night of the Lepus
    Night of the Comet
    Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare
    Return of the Living Dead
    Return of the Living Dead 3
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    The Serpent and the Rainbow
    The Mangler
    The Mangler 2
    Octaman
    Ghoulies
    Ghoulies 2
    Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College
    Ghoulies 4
    Dumplings
    Suicide Club
    Uzumaki
    Terrorvision
    The Beast Within
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes
    Dr. Phibes Rises Again
    Santa's Slay
    Monsters
    The Host
    The Descent
    Bubba Ho-Tep
    The Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
    Army of Darkness
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Blood For Dracula
    Flesh for Frankenstein
    Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
    Monster Squad
    The Seventh Sign
    Monkey Shines
    The Ninth Gate
    End of Days
    Rosemary's Baby
    It's Alive
    Them!
    The Last Man on Earth
    M
    Nosferatu
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    At Midnight I Will Take Your Soul
    This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse
    Awakening Of The Beast
    Embodiment of Evil
    Zombi
    Suspiria
    Inferno
    Mother of Tears
    Tenebre
    The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
    Deep Red
    Twitch of the Death Nerve
    Black Sunday
    Black Sabbath
    Black Christmas
    Diabolique
    Eyes Without a Face
    Scanners
    The Brood
    Videodrome
    The Fly
    Dead Ringers
    The Bad Seed
    The Omen
    Damien: The Omen II
    The Final Conflict
    Monster in the Closet
    Mega Piranha
    Piranha 3-D
    Birdemic: Shock and Terror
    The Birds
    The Dentist
    Don't Torture a Duckling
    Slaughter High
    Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh
    The House on Haunted Hill
    Mr. Sardonicus
    The Tingler
    Homicidal
    Strait-Jacket
    I Saw What You Did
    House on Haunted Hill
    13 Ghosts
    House of Wax
    Let's Kill Uncle, Before Uncle Kills Us
    The Wizard of Gore
    Blood Feast
    Teenage Mother
    Blood Diner
    Lunch Meat
    The Basement
    Dead Alive
    Bad Taste
    The Orphanage
    Trick Or Treat
    Pumpkinhead
    Child's Play
    Child's Play 2
    Child's Play 3
    Phantasm
    Phantasm II
    The Mist
    Maximum Overdrive
    It
    The Phantom Carriage
    Thriller: A Cruel Picture
    In The Mouth of Madness
    Prince of Darkness
    The Ward
    The Fog
    Wild Zero
    Repulsion
    House
    Abby
    Hell Came to Frogtown
    Don't Answer the Phone
    Pieces
    Kill Baby Kill
    Burial Ground
    Hard Rock Zombies
    Tombs of the Blind Dead
    The Ghost Galleon
    Return of the Evil Dead
    Night of the Seagulls
    Amando De Ossorio
    Chopping Mall
    Highway to Hell
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    An American Werewolf in London
    Gothic
    The Lair of the White Worm
    Torso
    Class of Nuke 'Em High
    Mad Monster Party
    The Illustrated Man
    The Shining
    Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
    Shocker
    The People Under the Stairs
    Drag Me to Hell
    April Fool's Day
    My Bloody Valentine
    Maniac
    The Baby
    Poltergeist
    Poltergeist 2: The Other Side
    My Bloody Valentine 3-D
    Near Dark
    Bigger Than Life
    Dog Soldiers
    Q: The Winged Serpent
    My Name is Bruce
    Incubus (William Shatner)
    Battle Royale
    Cube
    Flesh for the Beast
    From Dusk 'til Dawn
    Nightmare
    Robo Vampire
    Salo
    Unhinged
    Sorrority House Massacre
    Slumber Party Massacre
    Sleepaway Camp
    Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers
    Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland
    The Toolbox Murders (2003)
    Street Trash
    Cabin Fever
    Event Horizon
    Dr. Giggles
    Dead Birds
    Aswang
    Hell Night
    Troll 2
    Boxing Helena
    Cry of the Banshee
    Dead and Breakfast
    Terror Firmer
    Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
    The Keep
    The Cat O' Nine Tails
    Food for the Gods
    Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
    Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood
    The Twilight Zone: The Movie
    Maniac
    Theatre of Blood
    976 - Evil
    When A Stranger Calls
    Octopus
    Octopus 2: River of Fear
    Open House
    Creepshow
    New Year's Evil
    Blood and Black Lace
    Bloody Movie
    Happy Birthday to Me
    Carrie
    Prom Night
    Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2
    Jacob's Ladder
    Nosferatu: The Vampyre
    Crawlspace
    The Hitcher
    The Vanishing
    The Reanimator
    Do You Like Hitchock?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    mrmr wrote:
    28 Days Later is good. It's got good characters on top of good suspense and a good amount of blood. Hey, it's zombies, so you know what to expect.
    Pitch Black was also mentioned, and I actually enjoyed it. It's got a good story and it's not terribly gory from what I remember. Just ignore that it's the first actual "Riddick" movie.
    I just watched The Thing and loved it. It's gory for sure, and that's really the best part. Everytime they show the "thing" they make a point to render it more disturbingly than the last. It's tense, but some of the story or characterization gets lost amongst the creep factor.
    Silent Hill is also creepy and dark, but mostly the first chunk of the film. Then it kinda derails but still retains the atmosphere.
    I actually really enjoyed 30 Days of Night, about an Alaskan town that enters a month long period of night and is thus the target of hungry Vampires.
    And I haven't seen it yet but I've heard that Jacob's Ladder is pretty creepy and tense.

I must also second Marble Hornets. When I first watched the early entries I haven't felt that freaked out in a long time. I actually couldn't sleep the first night.

I tried watching Marble Hornets. I just couldn't get past the horrendous acting and terrible script. So unnatural. The guy who plays Alex should never be let in front of a camera.

And yeah, definitely watch Jacob's Ladder.

Esh on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    While alot of my favorite movies are Slasher in nature I'd still recommend a few

Laid to Rest (Gory but creative)
    Hatchet / Hatchet 2
    The Strangers
    Feast
    The Thing, then watch the prequel thats coming out this month.

Netflix instant streaming is definately good for horror films. They have a TON of movies to select. From some big titles to random B movies if you want a bad movie night. Definately worth the monthly cost

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote:
    I would put The Shining in the haunted house genre
    So
    Drag Me to Hell
    Poltergeist
    Panic Room
    I'll try to think of more

Yeah, Drag Me To Hell was a really good recent movie that came out of nowhere. I'd definitely second that.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Drag Me to Hell isn't scary at all though. It's Raimi horror so it's really.. silly and exaggerated.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Esh wrote:
    And yeah, definitely watch Jacob's Ladder.

This movie was the inspiration for a lot of the stuff in the Silent Hill games.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I wish it was more of an inspiration to the Silent Hill MOVIE.

• Options
    YtakiYtaki Registered User new member
    I like classic suspense movies by Hitchcock, but they might seem boring for those who loves modern bloody meaty horrror thrillers. Also I like remakes of Japanese horror movies, but do not recommend original ones, they seem rather strange, so I prefer adapted Hollywood versions)

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Adus wrote:
    Drag Me to Hell isn't scary at all though. It's Raimi horror so it's really.. silly and exaggerated.

well, there's no sense of dread or terror but there are a few decent startle-scares in it. I dunno, it's horror in theme at the very least and certainly enjoyable, which is good enough for me.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Riale wrote:
    Adus wrote:

well, there's no sense of dread or terror but there are a few decent startle-scares in it. I dunno, it's horror in theme at the very least and certainly enjoyable, which is good enough for me.

I don't think Drag Me To Hell is the kind of movie for me. Most of the thrills seem the traditional jump scare, and the premise seems a bit to campy for my taste.

I watched Pet Semitary recently. It's definitely a very 80's horror film.

Great recommendations guys!

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Really, TLB? No The Thing?

You make me sick.

Anyway. The Thing. Watch it. Best horror film of all time. I mean, there's gore, but it by no means relies on gore or jump scares or stuff like that. It's all functional. It serves a purpose.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Wade REALLY carefully through TLB's list. There's a ton of (most of it) stuff you're definitely not going to be into.

• Options
    I want to watch The Thing, but for some reason it's been really hard to find. They don't even have the DVD at Best Buy.

It seems the final phase out of DVD is on the rise :/

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It's a shame you don't have Netflix Streaming, then. John Carpenter's 'The Thing' is all up in that shit.

Also, it's $2.99 on Youtube for a 24 hour On Demand-style viewing.

If you're looking for good non-movie horror avenues (aka print), I highly highly highly infinite amounts of highly-ness recommend John Dies At The End.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Okay, I think I'm seriously messed up in the head:

I watched The Exorcist for the first time and I wasn't really terrified. There were a couple of scenes that surprised men(the crab walk scene caught me way off guard) but the rest fell kind of flat.

Am I the only one who thought this?

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Godfather, I agree. My father was terrified by the Exorcist when it was first released, but I think that was more because of his strict Catholic upbringing. I first saw the directors cut as a fifteen year old atheist, and as such the themes or implications of possession (or the thought that a priest could be vulnerable to satanic influences... gasp!) didn't scare me in the slightest. The crab-walk made me jump, and that was all.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It's funny that you bring this up, because Futore asked me the same exact thing about a week or two ago. I'll give you the same list I gave him (despite the fact that I'm not too up on horror movies):

The Descent
    Knife in the Water
    Rosemary's Baby
    Repulsion
    Insomnia (either the Nolan version or the original version)
    The Exorcist
    Candyman
    The Mist
    The Thing
    Alien
    Event Horizon
    The Hitcher (the original version, not the bullshit remake)
    Jacob's Ladder
    The Lives of Others (which isn't a horror movie at all and it's barely even a thriller, but it is one of the best written movies of the past ten years)
    Bug
    Peeping Tom (now on Instant Watch!)
    Psycho
    Rebecca
    The Devil's Backbone
    The Orphanage
    The Shining
    Silence of the Lambs
    Cronos
    The Birds
    Troll 2

That should get you started, yeah? And if you want me to justify one more or the other or if you're curious, I am more than willing to pitch you any of these movies.
    Godfather wrote:

I watched The Exorcist for the first time and I wasn't really terrified. There were a couple of scenes that surprised men(the crab walk scene caught me way off guard) but the rest fell kind of flat.

Yes.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote:

Not too surprising when 1st watching seminal movies decades after their release. You have to understand that no one had really made a movie like that when it was released, and it's informed horror movie making ever since. If you show a kid today the original Star Wars (assuming he's never seen it), he'd probably find it slow and kind of boring.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Seven is quite possibly the greatest horror movie ever made. There's not a lot of (on screen) violence and gore, but what is there is pretty graphic, so it may not be for you; on the other hand, it's something of a police procedural, so it's more along the lines of finding exceedingly fucked up crime scenes, rather than showing the act itself.

The Strangers is also incredibly, incredibly good, and there's no gore at all that I remember. I straight-up slept with the lights on after that one, and screamed like a four-year-old girl when my cat jumped into the bed.

Trailers in the spoiler:

First I want to note that there is DEFINITELY some gore in The Strangers.

And along this line I have a similar question to the OP but some caveats:

I'm looking for some horror films like The Strangers and Funny Games. As in, no super-natural stuff. As is I can't tell what was super-natural of the recommended stuff so far. I like horror stuff that could actually happen in some way. Ghosts and monsters just don't cut it.

Thanks!

• Options
    Djeet wrote:
    Godfather wrote:

Not too surprising when 1st watching seminal movies decades after their release. You have to understand that no one had really made a movie like that when it was released, and it's informed horror movie making ever since. If you show a kid today the original Star Wars (assuming he's never seen it), he'd probably find it slow and kind of boring.

This makes sense to me. I guess The Exorcist is the Horror movie equivalent of The Beatles; depending on the person, a lot of their songs might seem dated and unappealing, but once you understand that they were the first of their kind that kick started a lot of styles and genres it becomes a lot easier to appreciate it. I can see how a lot of Horror owes much to films like The Exorcist and The Shining.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    There are definitely style differences in horror films if you go back a few decades. I think your Beatles comparison is a good one. I can easily see how the music I find nostalgically appealing from the 80's could sound idiotic to someone born in the 90's.

We just watched "House of the Devil" a few nights ago on Netflix and though I can't really fully recommend it as good horror film (it's very slow and apart from one genuinely surprising moment is relatively disappointing), I have to say the filmmaker did an outstanding job of making a film produced in 2009 look like it was made in the late 70's. Assuming that's what he set out to do, he definitely succeeded there.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ransom is pretty suspenseful , especially if you have a weakness for kidnapped children.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    The Haunting (60s version),
    Carnival of Souls (ditto),
    The Innocents,
    The Stone Tape,
    Ghostwatch,
    Woman in Black (80s version),
    A Tale of Two Sisters,
    Suspiria,
    Peeping Tom,
    Eyes Without a Face,
    Repulsion,
    Rosemary's Baby,
    Dead Ringers,
    The Brood,
    Don't Look Now.

Try that lot for starters. All classic, mostly not as well-known.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Also, i have to suggest one i forgot to suggest earlier.

Troll Hunter.

Loved it, one of the most unique movies i've watched in years. It's foreign, but its got fantastic acting and characters and its extremely unique.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Also, i have to suggest one i forgot to suggest earlier.

Troll Hunter.

Loved it, one of the most unique movies i've watched in years. It's foreign, but its got fantastic acting and characters and its extremely unique.

Netflix fans seem to love this one. Just added it to my queue.

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    Troll Hunter is great, but I wouldn't have classified it as horror.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Really, TLB? No The Thing?

You make me sick.

Anyway. The Thing. Watch it. Best horror film of all time. I mean, there's gore, but it by no means relies on gore or jump scares or stuff like that. It's all functional. It serves a purpose.

well this is a list I pmed to futore, and he already mentioned the thing and I forgot to put the thing on my list when I posted it here

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote:
    Seven is quite possibly the greatest horror movie ever made. There's not a lot of (on screen) violence and gore, but what is there is pretty graphic, so it may not be for you; on the other hand, it's something of a police procedural, so it's more along the lines of finding exceedingly fucked up crime scenes, rather than showing the act itself.

The Strangers is also incredibly, incredibly good, and there's no gore at all that I remember. I straight-up slept with the lights on after that one, and screamed like a four-year-old girl when my cat jumped into the bed.

Trailers in the spoiler:

First I want to note that there is DEFINITELY some gore in The Strangers.

And along this line I have a similar question to the OP but some caveats:

I'm looking for some horror films like The Strangers and Funny Games. As in, no super-natural stuff. As is I can't tell what was super-natural of the recommended stuff so far. I like horror stuff that could actually happen in some way. Ghosts and monsters just don't cut it.

Thanks!

Funny Games may or may not be considered a horror movie, depending on whom you talk to. Haneke's stuff is "interesting". In a similar vein, there's Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Salo: 120 Days of Sodom, Straw Dogs (the original english version). Maybe Rope. The original Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck.

• Options
    Just wanted to say that I found a Blockbuster (they do exist!) and was able to rent a ton of the movies I wanted to see!

First I watched The Strangers, which which was fantastic. Absolutely chilling, and exactly what I was looking for.

Then I watched Teeth, which was scary in a humorous way.

Up next, Children of the Corn!

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'd probably also recommend

The Shining
    Misery
    Scream series (probably the more "realistic" of slashers)
    The original Halloween 1+2
    They Live (I love this one)
    High Tension (Switchblade Romance overseas)
    and Wrong Turn

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I haven't seen this myself, but I just stumbled on this pretty classy trailer:

(NSFW: blood)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8IqpZc8Fo

The movie seems to be getting decent reviews, should be worth checking out.

Flay on