Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Diplomacy: Spring map 1911 on page 17. Down to E/F/T for the win

AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the SpiralRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Critical Failures
Diplomacy is my favorite board game of all time, but I usually only get to play at most one game a year in person. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a game here at PA?

I know I could probably get some games via a few other websites, but why not take a shot here first?

Assuran on

• jakobaggerjakobagger KøbenhavnRegistered User regular
    I might be interested.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    I know nothing about diplomacy. But i'd take a crack at just about any board game.

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User
    I might be interested as well.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    ...But I always play Germany! :shock:

Umm, OK, umm,

England?
    Russia?
    (Just not Italy!)

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm interested. We can't play this in real life. We got 7 people once and played for 12 hours and had to call it. We take a bit too long in the diplomacy only to inevitable betray you phase.

camo_sig2.png
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Call these nuts the Sword of Damocles 'cause they're hanging over your headRegistered User regular
    Ooooh! I would be interested in this thing!

Enc wrote: »
    Everything written by Dongs is read in Michael Palin's voice from the Romans skit.
    New forum rule, let it be known.
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Awesome, glad to see some interest. So, I suppose we should start setting about some ground rules, like which site we're gonna use to store game moves and such?

It has been a long time since I played online, over at the diplo-pouch there's some good links if anyone has a suggestion.

Re: Turn limits

Now, here's the real issue with PBP or PB-email games. Obviously, I'd say we'd do most talking via PMs, but given how the website has been having issues of late, I'd say we make the first turn take a week, and every week after that we do another turn. I'm willing to listen to any other suggestions for time.

Re: real life games

The key to finishing quickly (or, at least quicker than 12 hours) is to really stick to the book's suggested time limit. 30 minutes for the first turn, then 15 every phase after. When I played at Gen Con a couple years ago, we actually managed to finish in 4 hours with a Russia victory. Granted 6-8 hours is more likely, but it is possible to stick to a quick game.

Assuran on
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Call these nuts the Sword of Damocles 'cause they're hanging over your headRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've seen PbP Diplomacy games run on this forum before, maybe search for those threads for ideas on how to run it?

Edit: Here's one http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/49708/diplomacy-jpp01-game-called-italy-wins/p1

Dongs Galore on
    Enc wrote: »
    Everything written by Dongs is read in Michael Palin's voice from the Romans skit.
    New forum rule, let it be known.
    Holy crap, Italy won that game. Nice job!

I hadn't really thought about the GM position, but I suppose it makes sense to have one. I was hoping that one of the programs would have a way to post your orders and automatically take care of that end of things.

Will do more research about this thought. Definately still want to try if we get enough interest.

edited October 2011
    Did I say "Just not Italy"?
    Hmm...

Let's do open diplomacy!
    Here's my first post -
    "Sure, Russia. You can trust me."
    Hehe. Sucker. Little does he know I'll back-stab him the first chance I get!

Oops. Probably shouldn't have posted that last part.

stever777 on
    By the way, I've never played before, so uh go easy on me? Or not, probably. No real preferences regarding country.

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote:
    I hadn't really thought about the GM position, but I suppose it makes sense to have one. I was hoping that one of the programs would have a way to post your orders and automatically take care of that end of things.

This makes it sound like like being the GM in Diplomacy would mostly be a matter of bookkeeping and wouldn't require a lot of effort. I know basically nothing about the game, but assuming I'm understanding things right, I wouldn't mind being the guy everyone sends their orders to so you can be sure no one's a filthy cheater.

Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
    I ran a game over email once. It took a bit of image manipulation to move the units around, but it's quite doable.

Tmoiy wrote:
    ...But I always play Germany! :shock:

That's what my friends always say to me.
    If it's Frederick The Great or Space Nazis, I'm always Germany.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Perhaps countries should be random?

camo_sig2.png
    Yep, RNG is the fairest way to draw countries. The GM should probably know a bit about Diplomacy, so if you don't mind learning, it would be great to have one.

Busy few days, I'll try to make another post probably Tuesday.

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote:
    The GM should probably know a bit about Diplomacy, so if you don't mind learning, it would be great to have one

I don't suppose anyone has a link or three lying around?

Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
    There's also this site which I guess we might use? Found it reading the game's forum on BGG. There might be other similar options. Any of you experienced diplomats tried this?

Nope. Actually, I haven't played Diplomacy for 20 years.
    Just fond memories of screwing over friends at the Gates of Moscow.
    Our group isn't big or patient enough for this kinda game anymore.

edited October 2011
    Yeah, I haven't played Diplomacy online in about 7 years, so I'm not up to date on which program works best. I'm thinking about PMing Jus Plain Pavlok to see which program he used, because that seemed to work well (and the maps were a great touch). The only problem is that his profile says he hasn't logged on in over a month, so we'll see if he gets back with me.

Seeing as I'm the one who suggested the game, if we get enough interest, I'd be willing to GM and manage it, on the hopeful promise that the next game we played (if we played a second) I got to be a player.

Besides, it'd be great to see new people getting into this great game. The rules are fairly simple, most of the game is about interacting with the other players.

Assuran on
    Couldn't Walt GM, as we only have 7 players anyway, the right #?

edited October 2011
    JPP hasn't reached back out to me yet, and I'm not sure if/when that is going to happen, so I'm going to wait for another couple days, then formulate a plan on which program to use, etc, etc.

If Walt wants to GM, and let me play, that would be great, but there is some degree of work that he would have to put in, unless the programs are fully self-sufficient.

Anyways, I don't want to wait to long for this, so we don't lose interest.

Assuran on
    Well, playdiplomacy.com seems to be fully automatic. I'd be inclined to say we just use that.

Still interested.

camo_sig2.png
    Ok, so it's been a few days and I still haven't heard back from JPP; I would venture I'm not going to hear back at this point.

Looking around, I would say the play-diplomacy.com site does seem to be an easy to use site. The question is do we all want to sign up for the site, or just have our GM sign up and upload the moves?

Normal diplomacy time from online seems to be once a week, that seems fair. Say we set the date as all moves need in by Saturday night at 11:59 EST?

I'm down with any other suggestion.

Also, we'll need someone to randomly draw for countries once everyone confirms they're still in.

Anyone else have any questions or suggestions?

Oh I'm still in!
    I'm willing to go either way on the site.

Hmm. I'm usually at my ftf game group Sats.
    Could we make it Friday night or Sunday night?

I'm ok with either one, I don't really care which day we pick.

Wouldn't want any last-minute phalla-like shenanigans to mess up my master plan.

edited October 2011
    Having a GM upload our orders on that site would be silly (and I'm doubtful whether the site even supports such a functionality). Playing the game over there should be fine, just like Puerto Rico or TTA.

I've gone ahead and created game number 32995 over at playdiplomacy.com. The password is wang. I couldn't find a way to specify a day of the week as a deadline, but 7-day movement turns and no deadlines on weekends should mimic a Sunday deadline reasonably well.

Tmoiy on
    Cool, signed up as well.

So, should we have a random forum user draw for countries?

I believe the site already handles that.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    I'd love to play. Still interested. However this site is blocked at work for me. So i'll have to join at home. Anyone gonna give a one over on the rules as i still have not played yet?

texasheat wrote:
    I'd love to play. Still interested. However this site is blocked at work for me. So i'll have to join at home. Anyone gonna give a one over on the rules as i still have not played yet?

I think the site has an overview, but if not they should be at BGG. The actual rules are very simple, like I think they could fit in a single page.

Here's the 'extensive' write-up of the rules pasted from playdiplomacy:
    Spoiler:

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf

That's a link to the rulebook; it's a free pdf. It's also a lot better than what I can do, especially since most of the stuff has diagrams beside it so you can follow what they're talking about.