As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zelda Thread] Skyward Sword...smells nice too.

196979899100102»

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I sort of wish the game had a bank where you could store your rupees to accrue interest and make 100% sure that you always, always return from an adventure with 100% efficiency.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Selling stuff is the best way to make money, in my opinion.

I sold like 40 something jelly blobs the other day for like 900 rupees.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    But...
    Hero mode!

I am a pack rat. Only things I sold were hornets but only because I was nearing a hundred. A hornet is worth one rupee!

V0Gug2h.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I can't remember where it is, but there is a room in the 3rd section
    You walk through and like 25 baby scorpions fall from the ceiling. You're bound to get 4-5 jelly blobs from that.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Bugs are awesome for selling. Who cares about potions!

I never sold any treasure.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Just beat this. Final boss was cake compared to the fight prior. Damn was it cool, though. The controls could definitely use a bit of tightening, but I can live with the series going in that direction from now on. I had a blast.

edited December 2011
    There's one thing that has disappointed me in the game so far.

Are you ready? Here it comes.
    The targeting reticule for the Clawshot. Specifically the way it indicates when you've got a hittable target in sight feels a bit underwhelming.

I'm completely serious. Also the Claws feel kind of short, but I can't verify if they're actually any shorter than before.

Zephiran on

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I don't use potions. In Zelda games it feels like cheating to me. I guess it's alright when it's just to avoid getting set back in my progress of a dungeon but if I can't beat a boss without resorting to a potion then I just wasn't good enough yet to beat that boss.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    Well, I have all but 100%'d this game. All I need is 2 more heart pieces, and then I get to mumble that horrible, horrible question I ask myself every 3-4 years:
    What now?

:(

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Managed to get friends to try the game again, but I decided to get to the first dungeon beforehand. Figured it wouldn't take too long. 30 minutes of "hey Link, I'm going to deliver some slow dialogue on how to use an ability/item you figured out how to use before I started talking to you" later, they showed up just in time to see me arrive at the area just prior. Let one of 'em take over as I get to the entrance, when suddenly

"THIS PLACE LOOKS TOUGH, LINK. DID YOU STOCK UP ON POTIONS AND MAKE SURE YOUR SHIELD'S AT FULL DURABILITY FIRST?"

That's a good idea, but my shield's all right and I've got full

"Whoop, I thought I was taking out my shield."

D:

Back up to the cloud kingdom. One of 'em noted the world map, who took off early last time due to fridgeisonfire-itis. Wasn't that impressed, but he said it was better than Epona so I suppose that's a win. Then we noticed that the sensitivity on the menu was terribad. Is there a way to fix that? Kinda awkward to navigate via huge sweeping gestures.

Anyways, go up and stock up on potions. Notice a huge floating building with a bell on the bottom, wonder how we get to that? After bringing it down, we enter and discover the rupee cap is initially set to 300 in this game. And that there are items in the shop that go up to 800. Doesn't seem like rupees are that hard to come by, so oh well, back to that later.

FIRST DUNGEON TIME, WOO - vertical slashes are horizontal, resync - OOOOOOOOO

And then I fell asleep while they ran a gauntlet of spiders. One by one. We decided to call it at the next save point on account of narcolepsy, but at least they seem interested again.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zelda in general seems like a pretty poor choice to play with friends. But if it works :).

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    As is the case with most single player games, but it worked well with Shadow of the Colossus so I figured, why not?

Oh, because it's dialogue heavy without voice acting, right. Least it gives us something to vent about, and for one of them a break to play Angry Birds.

edited December 2011
    The secret to menu navigation: tilt.

Not "move". Tilt. No IR pointer controls means the game approximates what you're pointing at via the amount of tilt your wiimote has in relation to it's centering point. Remember to recenter often, I've found that if I'm too hasty with aiming while drawing out my Slingshot/ Bow/ Bug Net/ Beetle it tends to knock the centering point straight out of this realm.

Might want to up the sensitivity too through the Wii main menu.

Zephiran on

I was afraid of that. :(

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Started playing this... sooooooo good. I'm really excited to dig in some more.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    The big thing to remember is that any time you switch weapons/open a menu it registers whatever position your Wiimote is in as the new default and operates from there.

Most of the time you don't need to recalibrate, just hold your wiimote in a more neutral position and reselect an item.

I don't think I recalibrated the controller 3 times in over fifty hours.

edited December 2011
    Hey, it's not that bad.

Also I broke the 5th dungeon a little.
    In the room with the boss key where you're supposed to shoot the time crystal through the roof vents to bring back the Beamos blocking your way so you can kill it and remove it for good. I couldn't spot the damn crystal through the roof so I just went back out and turned on the crystal the easy way, went back in and shot the Beamos through a small slit of opportunity in the doorway blocked by energy. It wasn't meant to work that way - but I worked it anyway.

The boss battle for that dungeon, by the way, felt pretty damn satisfying, if a little frustrating since I felt like my Skyward Strike didn't recharge fast enough.
    I wanted to cut more tentacles.

EDIT:
    Z0re wrote:
    The big thing to remember is that any time you switch weapons/open a menu it registers whatever position your Wiimote is in as the new default and operates from there.

Most of the time you don't need to recalibrate, just hold your wiimote in a more neutral position and reselect an item.

It's a matter of personal taste and restraint. I'm a bit spastic and like to play in unconventional body positions so I re-center often to maintain my accuracy

Zephiran on

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Greetings, gentlemen. Hope you're enjoying Skyward Sword.

I'm taking a brief peek inside this thread to let you know that I'll be dedicating my blog this month to nothing but Zelda-related articles while I count the days to Christmas. I finally finished my first article just now, so give it a look: http://blamethelag.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/ten-reasons-the-zelda-cartoon-didnt-completely-suck/

• ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    Zelda in general seems like a pretty poor choice to play with friends. But if it works :).

I dunno. I've got a buddy I'll be visiting in a couple weeks who outright asked me to bring the Wii so he could see Skyward Sword.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    jeddy lee wrote:
    Started playing this... sooooooo good. I'm really excited to dig in some more.

Yay!!

Z0re wrote:

Which makes me wonder, why couldn't you be able to save the "neutral" position in the controller or something? You know when you press A at the center of the screen that should be considered the "neutral" position and the controller remembers that.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Because you move, and part of the point was no matter where you move you can still do things. You don't have to point at the center of the screen. The sooner you stop trying to use the screen as your reference the better time you'll have.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I don't know why they just didn't use the IR pointer for the menus though. Seems like since we've been doing that for 5 years that they would keep on doing the same, instead of using the gyro to move around a pointer.

Just beat the fourth dungeon.

Boss fight and post fourth:
    Was anyone else surprised by the lack of hearts in the actual boss room unless he smashed a pillar? I had to use a fairy to make it through the fight because I didn't figure him out fast enough and I kept putting my whip away instead of actually whipping him.

Also, my shield got burned just before him by one of those fire dragon creatures, but the sacred shield got unlocked so I just bought one of those. Just need one more ornamental skull to upgrade it to be a bit more durable.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Someone should look into starting a new thread before this one's closed.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Mblackwell wrote:
    Because you move, and part of the point was no matter where you move you can still do things. You don't have to point at the center of the screen. The sooner you stop trying to use the screen as your reference the better time you'll have.

This. The only time you have to point at the screen is when you start up the game. I love that you don't have to use IR because I like to keep a good distance from the screen and the IR doesn't work properly when you're a few feet away. The gyro sensor works brilliantly. I usually lie on the couch in a sideways position. Unless it's a boss battle. Then I'm all serious mode and sit upright.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote:
    Mblackwell wrote:

This. The only time you have to point at the screen is when you start up the game. I love that you don't have to use IR because I like to keep a good distance from the screen and the IR doesn't work properly when you're a few feet away. The gyro sensor works brilliantly. I usually lie on the couch in a sideways position. Unless it's a boss battle. Then I'm all serious mode and sit upright.

I'm not saying not give the ability to re-center, but having a neutral point instead of wherever the Wii remote is pointing when you pull out the bow would definitely be better.

Maybe hold down D-Pad down to set the neutral position. That way if you're lounging back you can still have it set to the most natural place to point.

urahonky wrote:
    Maybe hold down D-Pad down to set the neutral position. That way if you're lounging back you can still have it set to the most natural place to point.

You can do this though. At least in the inventory/map screens. Push D-down and it will center the cursor at whatever position you are currently holding.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

You can do this though. At least in the inventory/map screens. Push D-down and it will center the cursor at whatever position you are currently holding.

I mean if you hold down the D-Pad down, it sets that as the "default" location for the remote... So if you're holding it perfectly horizontal and you hold D-Pad down, it sets that as the default set location each time you pull out a weapon. So let's say you set it to that... Then you're pointing the wii remote slightly downward and then pull out the bow. It will know that you're pointing downward in relation to your default location that you set, and Link will point his bow downward. Does that make sense?

Ah. Gotcha. Rather than recenter each time you draw an item.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote:

Yeah exactly. I'm sure there should be enough memory space in the controller to remember it's x/y and I guess pitch/yaw?

urahonky wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:

Yeah exactly. I'm sure there should be enough memory space in the controller to remember it's x/y and I guess pitch/yaw?

It has memory to store your Miis.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    It's just muscle memory.

Pointing at the screen sounds good in theory, but it really does not work as smoothly as the mouse-like controls with motion+. In Twilight Princess you had to point at the screen and rarely did I engage a pointing activity without a message appearing saying POINT REMOTE AT THE SCREEN. I then had to figure out where exactly I *was* pointing and then shift to pointing at the screen. With motionplus, it just works.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Dritz wrote:

I dunno. I've got a buddy I'll be visiting in a couple weeks who outright asked me to bring the Wii so he could see Skyward Sword.

The best games are the ones which are as much fun to watch as they are to play.

My wife and I have been swapping out on this one...

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this one was closed... I'll just be moving along now.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!