As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I've been cutting my hair the same way all my life, except for a brief period in the 90's in which I had a flat top. I just now decided to change my hair style, and I must say, I really like it!

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    damn yo mama is the beez knees Tam

earthwormadam on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been cutting my hair the same way all my life, except for a brief period in the 90's in which I had a flat top. I just now decided to change my hair style, and I must say, I really like it!

oh man I was so peeved at my hairdresser on ... yesterday? was it only yesterday?

Anyway normally I am pretty relaxed about haircuts because I only get one every six months. So by that time I'm just like "cut it all off, I don't give a fuck, do what you like."
    but in november I got a haircut I really liked! So once it started to look ... well, how my hair looks when it's too long, I went back to the same place with the intention of getting the same thing done. And it was a different person, ok, but I explained that I just wanted a trim, and I even had a photo of my previous cut to make it really easy ... and he ignored me completely. Moreover, my only other explicit instruction, which I give every time, was "Don't cut the top too short, it sticks straight up in the air and looks stupid." Guess who cut the top too short. Gotta put loads of product in now or I look like a frickin' cockatoo.

I am so mad. I am doubly mad because I really liked this salon every other time i've been but now I don't want to give them my money again, out of protest.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    damn yo mama is the beez knees Tam

yar she's pretty awesome

also I have texted more in the last hour than I usually do in a week
    oh god what have I become

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

so is Jon Stewart

I'd marry Jon Stewart

Screw you, he's mine!

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2012
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Flay wrote:
    I've only ever heard it used to describe 'scene-kids' (I don't know if that's an Australian thing) but nobody's ever bothered to explain what one is. I guess it's like the word hipster in that it can be liberally applied to any demographic and/or subculture that isn't your own.

You know how the '80s had people with over-stylized hair and clothes and mannerisms that didn't make sense? Like that, but with smaller cell phones.

GIS scene kid and you'll see what I mean.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote:

oh man I was so peeved at my hairdresser on ... yesterday? was it only yesterday?

Anyway normally I am pretty relaxed about haircuts because I only get one every six months. So by that time I'm just like "cut it all off, I don't give a fuck, do what you like."
    but in november I got a haircut I really liked! So once it started to look ... well, how my hair looks when it's too long, I went back to the same place with the intention of getting the same thing done. And it was a different person, ok, but I explained that I just wanted a trim, and I even had a photo of my previous cut to make it really easy ... and he ignored me completely. Moreover, my only other explicit instruction, which I give every time, was "Don't cut the top too short, it sticks straight up in the air and looks stupid." Guess who cut the top too short. Gotta put loads of product in now or I look like a frickin' cockatoo.

I am so mad. I am doubly mad because I really liked this salon every other time i've been but now I don't want to give them my money again, out of protest.

Why don't you go to the same person every time? Can you not make appointments or check to see if they're working?

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Wow, so somebody just stuck a key in my deadbolt lock and opened it and then apparently walked away without actually breaking in? The fuck?

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Like a hacker telling you your security sucks dick.

Esh wrote:
    Why don't you go to the same person every time? Can you not make appointments or check to see if they're working?

Two reasons. One, this was something of a last minute decision and a tight fit schedule wise, so I kind of had to take who I could get.

But mainly it's because I don't know any of their names.

edited January 2012
    Wow, so somebody just stuck a key in my deadbolt lock and opened it and then apparently walked away without actually breaking in? The fuck?

I'd get that replaced asap... if they could actually open it that means they a) know they can open the deadbolt and b) can come back whenever works for them to do it i.e. when you aren't there.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

tynic wrote:
    Esh wrote:

Two reasons. One, this was something of a last minute decision and a tight fit schedule wise, so I kind of had to take who I could get.

You should learn the person's name you really like and plan these things out instead of getting mad that someone who has never cut your hair didn't do it just like someone else did.

edited January 2012
    Esh wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Esh wrote:

You should learn the person's name you really like and plan these things out instead of getting mad that someone who has never cut your hair didn't do it just like someone else did.

Do you get off on arguing with strangers, or is it more of a compulsion?
    I'm allowed to be mad that an expensive professional did not follow explicit and strongly worded instructions. I didn't expect to walk out with exactly the same hair I had last time, but nor did I expect to be completely ignored, especially given the price I was paying. This is a legitimate reason to be irritated. While obviously an optimal way to live your life would be to contingency plan the whole thing out to the last detail, thus ensuring that if something goes wrong at least you will have the satisfaction of internet experts not insisting it was your fault, I just don't have the time or energy.

edit: also I don't know 'the person who I really like' even by description because i have never been to the same person twice there. Everyone except for this guy has been perfectly competent. So, lesson learned about winging it, but it doesn't stop me having a shitty haircut.

tynic on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    why don't you just force your hair to grow really fast

why don't you just force your hair to grow really fast

oh that's a good id-
    oh shit

gary

what have you done
    tumblr_low07kKRfQ1qffewio1_500.jpg

edited January 2012
    tynic wrote:
    tumblr_low07kKRfQ1qffewio1_500.jpg

mqAVF.jpg

Tam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    slowclap.gif

• r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    can anyone suggest any good comics to read? i've been walking past chapters a lot and all their comics are so cheap compared to the prices at home. i need to get something.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    r-jasper wrote:
    can anyone suggest any good comics to read? i've been walking past chapters a lot and all their comics are so cheap compared to the prices at home. i need to get something.
    Neonomicon will freak you the fuck out about halfway in, but it's good and so damn dark. Mouseguard is really good fantasy. Umbrella academy's pace is a tad high but I still like it. Tomorrow Stories are so damn fun to read. If they have Lynd Ward or just anything by him get that too. The Arrival by Shaun Tan is also top notch.

edited January 2012
    tynic wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Esh wrote:

Do you get off on arguing with strangers, or is it more of a compulsion?
    I'm allowed to be mad that an expensive professional did not follow explicit and strongly worded instructions. I didn't expect to walk out with exactly the same hair I had last time, but nor did I expect to be completely ignored, especially given the price I was paying. This is a legitimate reason to be irritated. While obviously an optimal way to live your life would be to contingency plan the whole thing out to the last detail, thus ensuring that if something goes wrong at least you will have the satisfaction of internet experts not insisting it was your fault, I just don't have the time or energy.

edit: also I don't know 'the person who I really like' even by description because i have never been to the same person twice there. Everyone except for this guy has been perfectly competent. So, lesson learned about winging it, but it doesn't stop me having a shitty haircut.

Short is subjective. Maybe while they were cutting your hair you coulda gone "Hey, that's about a good length." I mean, how much shorter did they go than you wanted?

I'm not trying to be an ass, just saying that if you find someone who does a really good job at something, stick with them. This applies to pretty much every field. If you have someone that cuts your hair on a regular basis, the cuts will continually get better and better as they get to know your hair and style better. Develop a rapport with them and they'll know how to serve your needs perfectly. Keep going to different people every time and they're not going to know what's "short" to you and what isn't. And I'm not just an internet expert, I'm someone who actually worked in a salon for a couple years as a receptionist. I doubt the person who cut your hair was incompetent, there was just a miscommunication. It's hair, it grows back, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it.

I'm just trying to help you avoid this next time, because trust me, not every stylist is as good as another. It's not an easy job to cut hair well. At all. Walking in and trusting that because someone at one place cut your hair well, they're all going to cut your hair well, is really rolling the dice.

Oh, and if that is you in the picture above, realize that curly hair is a motherfucker to cut well. If you find someone who does a good job, stick with them and don't leave them. Ever.

Esh on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I like pizza.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    r-jasper wrote:

What kind of stuff do you like?

On the topic of hair, I recently cut mine to above my shoulders after having it near past my elbows for a few years and it was the best decision I made in 2011! Except that my neck gets so cold...

I also try to find a different person every time I get my hair cut until I find someone I like. For so long, I've always just gone to the mall 'salon' and got mediocre cuts when I cared little about styling my hair in any way.

edited January 2012
    r-jasper wrote:

On the topic of hair...

i'm up for anything really. pretty easy when it comes to stuff like that. was pretty into manga in my younger years. read through sin city, batman, x-men, sandman etc. loved the shit out of scott pilgrim. i also read these comics about a boy named jarred who was accompanied by an anthropomorphic tiger. it was pretty cool from what i can remember... which is not a lot. haha.

thanks a lot for your suggestions menace.

i'm such a girl when it comes to my hair. it's weird though. recently i had my hair cut by this chick and she did an amazing job. i remembered her name and went back 3 months later for a trim and she gave me the worst cut i'd had in a while. used to dae this girl who was pretty heavily involved in the fashion industry. i got the maddest haircuts then.

currently debating whether i should cut it all off into a massive hipster fringe...

r-jasper on
    r-jasper wrote:
    r-jasper wrote:

On the topic of hair...

i'm up for anything really. pretty easy when it comes to stuff like that. was pretty into manga in my younger years. read through sin city, batman, x-men, sandman etc. loved the shit out of scott pilgrim. i also read these comics about a boy named jarred who was accompanied by an anthropomorphic tiger. it was pretty cool from what i can remember... which is not a lot. haha.

thanks a lot for your suggestions menace.

i'm such a girl when it comes to my hair. it's weird though. recently i had my hair cut by this chick and she did an amazing job. i remembered her name and went back 3 months later for a trim and she gave me the worst cut i'd had in a while. used to dae this girl who was pretty heavily involved in the fashion industry. i got the maddest haircuts then.

currently debating whether i should cut it all off into a massive hipster fringe...

WE3 is a pretty great 4 part comic that Grant Miller did. Have you read any Hellboy at all?

my old anim. lecturer gave me a but load of hellboy comics. i've had a flick through them. but haven't really read them cause there are issues missing here and there.

A lot of Hellboy stories are short, rarely longer than a few issues. That's part of what makes them enjoyable- you don't have to read the same story for sixth months only to get to a crap ending (coughFearItselfcough)

If you liked Sandman, try Y the Last Man! They're not really similar, but we find a lot of people that like one also fancy the other (: it's in trade (collected) form and there are 9 volumes. If you're looking for single issue comics, try some of the DC's New 52 stuff! This month we'll be hitting #5 issues, so you have plenty of time to catch up! Batman and Aquaman(yes, Aquaman) are really effing good. BPRD is always good, and if you're into dark, Joe Hill's The Cape is only up to #3 as well. (:

I could go on and on and on and on...Sieg and ninjai know haha

r-jasper wrote:
    my old anim. lecturer gave me a but load of hellboy comics. i've had a flick through them. but haven't really read them cause there are issues missing here and there.

I'd recommend grabbing the compilations. I'm kinda spoiled, as at my university the owner of Dark Horse is an alumni, so we have a section in the library of one of EVERYTHING Dark Horse has ever put out. Single issues and trades.

Check out Preacher maybe?

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I just went to Newbury Comics to spend my Xmas giftcards, and I bought the first 2 volumes of Sweet Tooth. I just got home so I obviously haven't read em yet, but they look swell, and it's apparently about a hybrid deerboy that likes chocolate so it must be good!!

Also Pizza high5 MT!!

I could go on and on and on and on...

Esh wrote:
    r-jasper wrote:

Thanks guys. looks like i'll be getting onto hellboy. i really enjoyed preacher. all kinds of fucked up and awesome.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I got two compliments on my new mustache from different girls/strangers last night. One of them, specifically, was that "you really pull off the whole mustache thing, like really well."

Validation!!!

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    Siegfried wrote:
    I got two compliments on my new mustache from different girls/strangers last night. One of them, specifically, was that "you really pull off the whole mustache thing, like really well."

Validation!!!
    can we see said 'stache?

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Are you sure they weren't telling you you should pull it off?

oh great Esh is back

Tam wrote:
    oh great Esh is back

He's always been back

dun dun DUN

edited January 2012
    Tam wrote:
    oh great Esh is back

Who are you? :o
    Nappuccino wrote:

He's always been back

dun dun DUN

Almost nine years strong with an opinion on everything!

Esh on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Sherlock is so bloody good

r-jasper wrote:
    I could go on and on and on and on...

Esh wrote:
    r-jasper wrote:

Thanks guys. looks like i'll be getting onto hellboy. i really enjoyed preacher. all kinds of fucked up and awesome.

I almost forgot, I've heard really good things about Fables and Nonplayer ( http://www.nonplayercomic.com/ ) as well.

I just went to Newbury Comics to spend my Xmas giftcards, and I bought the first 2 volumes of Sweet Tooth. I just got home so I obviously haven't read em yet, but they look swell, and it's apparently about a hybrid deerboy that likes chocolate so it must be good!!

Also Pizza high5 MT!!

Sweet Tooth is SO GOOD. I enjoy Jeff Lemire a lot. I even met him and he's super nice and wears cute glasses omg

Esh wrote:
    Tam wrote:
    oh great Esh is back

Who are you? :o

Names are right above the avatars you simpleton.

This discussion has been closed.