As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is finally good. Simon's first birthday today!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Josh, I just have one question.

Can I rub your head for good luck?

That's like, half the reason I lost all that hair.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    But really, I'll actually make plans to go visit my family in Abilene and then see if you want to hang out.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    <3 Josh! Good to see you doing better. The lackofhaircut looks good on you :winky: Glad to hear you and the wife are working things out too.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Yukira wrote: »
    But really, I'll actually make plans to go visit my family in Abilene and then see if you want to hang out.

Absolutely man. I'd love to have you over.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I am pleased to hear that things are improving.

Please continue with the improvements.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear about all the crappy things you and your family have been through, but you guys seem to have a good attitude despite it and are fighting back.
    That's awesome and here's hoping you guys get the karmic dose of awesome you're due.

Keep the spirits up, we're rooting for you!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that things are working out for you! You've been through stuff that would have crushed a lesser person.

Now I can report good news to all the guys at work who've been asking about you and the wife!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I'm so happy that things are working out for you! You've been through stuff that would have crushed a lesser person.

Now I can report good news to all the guys at work who've been asking about you and the wife!

I didn't realize people were asking :oops:

Well, at least now I'm in an exclusive club with you and Dru. The No Hair For Men Club. Although I assume you grew yours back out?

• Options
    It did, thankfully. The eyebrows took way longer than the rest though.

I just realised you probably haven't seen this pic. It was sometime in mid December :P

AwtLT.jpg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lookin good there Tef. Lookin real good.

• Options
    keep the eye brows off ya reckon?

I just realised that was the night I ruined that shirt after one too many red wines

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Found out at the table on Thanksgiving day that my mother has lung cancer.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Dang dude

I hope they can treat it man. That's fuckin rough

Give your ma a big ole hug from the Internet

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, she is in Texas. I am in Florida. Hopefully I'll hear news that doesn't suck today.

• Options
    Well man, all I can say is you're in my thoughts and I hope it turns out the best possible way it can

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I have been asked repeatedly if I am going to Texas to see her.

I hope I can get some money together.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Guys stop posting in here, despite knowing that he just updated with good news I still assume the next time I open it I'll see "welp, house burned down right after I got a call that my whole family died in a plane crash"

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I have been asked repeatedly if I am going to Texas to see her.

I hope I can get some money together.

Where in Texas, if you don't mind saying.

• Options
    In the vicinity of Plano.

• Options
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Guys stop posting in here, despite knowing that he just updated with good news I still assume the next time I open it I'll see "welp, house burned down right after I got a call that my whole family died in a plane crash"

If that happens, I'll change the thread title and you'll know not to open it if you don't want to have all the feelings

Bri, if you do go to Plano, let me know and I'll buy you the beverage of your choice

I have family around there, so I have an excuse to go

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Will do.

I am probably not going to be able to get up there until February at the earliest.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Will do.

I am probably not going to be able to get up there until February at the earliest.

I'll just make a birthday trip of it then.

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    lots of the big C in my family recently too
    best of luck to you !

• Options
    edited January 2013
    So, with both my wife and I in remission, my family back together as a whole, a diploma on its way to me within the next week or so, a gigantic research undertaking in the works which should keep me busy for the foreseeable future and get me published at least once, and my son just turning a year old today, I can finally say without hesitation that I am in a good place at last.

It isn't without its caveats. I'm still medicated for anxiety and pretty crazy ADHD, and the lorazepam withdrawal symptoms I get if I go more than a few hours are sort of terrible (seriously considering quitting cold turkey and dealing with it for a little while until I never have to experience them again, but it is a big help for when I get anxious or panic attacks). I now have the opposite problem as before: without a degree, my career options were very limited, but with a BS in Environmental Science/Chemistry and essentially 7 years of experience in a soil testing lab, I could potentially land a job anywhere in the country if someone offered it to me. But I don't know where to start; the options are almost confounding, and I have been working for a small lab for so long I'm not sure how I'd feel about a corporate environment again. But I do need to start making more money somehow now that I am a college grad.

In the meantime, a lot of shit has been worked through and I have little to complain about these days. I'm still busy as hell, but I don't have cancer, the uncertain fate of a newborn, grades, etc. hanging over my head anymore. I know I haven't been on here much lately, mostly because this project I'm masterminding is time-consuming and I have been trying to spend time away from the PC and with my family as much as possible. I'm not going anywhere, though. I won't forget that the moral support I got on these boards was and continues to be overwhelming. I'm going to be bluntly honest, there was a time when I was seriously contemplating whether my life insurance policy payment to my family would be more valuable to them than me being here. I was weighing it in my head daily at one point. The psychiatrist I saw helped, for sure, but knowing that there were people in my life and also people here on the Internet who had never met me in person but would miss me was a huge factor in me getting help. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that what this thread means to me as a whole is that it gave me the strength to get my life back.

So, thanks.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Thread title update made me SO HAPPY

HUUUUGS

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Josh man

I am so glad that things are going well for you and your family

I'd say best of luck, but fuck luck. Your happiness is what you made, you deserve it, and in the future I hope things keep on going up and up!

• Options
    I'll try and post some pics of Simon here in a sec. He seems to be reaching his milestones slower than he ought to but we don't think it's anything abnormal. He's in the 5th percentile for his length/weight last time we checked. He's just tiny. Which is odd because all this kid does is eat. Seriously. His nickname is Simon Peter the Constant Eater.

And he has four teeth now. Two top, two bottom.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Problems you wanna have! Pick where you WANT to go, and start looking/applying there!

In thirty years y'all are gonna be like: "Remember that horrible two years in there?" And you both will laugh.

We will have THE BIGGEST five-year remission celebration. Just put it on the calendar now. I'll bring cookies.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah Josh, glad to hear things are on the up and up for you! If anybody deserves good things to happen to them, it's you.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FZyq3.jpg

He has a lady-killing smile

jyZ7J.jpg

And a voracious appetite

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    That is a cute simon

<3

• Options
    edited January 2013
    He loves it when we make om nom nom sounds for him while he eats

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seems like the Chemo didn't have any bad effects on him. He's a handsome fella!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    So many hugs Josh

And holy crap this forum makes some adorable babies, Simon is so cute!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wish I could awesome your post more than once Josh. So glad to hear things are going well for you and your family.

And Simon is adorable. Good work Josh and Mrs Josh!

• Options
    Fuckin awesome news man. I'm so glad it all worked out for you in the end.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    :^:

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Josh. Awesome news. Seriously awesome.

I hope I'm not being too forward when I quote this and send out the @JoeUser signal
    I now have the opposite problem as before: without a degree, my career options were very limited, but with a BS in Environmental Science/Chemistry and essentially 7 years of experience in a soil testing lab, I could potentially land a job anywhere in the country if someone offered it to me. But I don't know where to start; the options are almost confounding, and I have been working for a small lab for so long I'm not sure how I'd feel about a corporate environment again. But I do need to start making more money somehow now that I am a college grad.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Yay! :)

• Options
    Is

Is the JoeUser signal how you summon cute pictures to feel better

Because I feel pretty good but I suppose I could always use more cute pictures!