As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah, it has a lot of weird behaviors that make it difficult to kill even if you wait until the end of game

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Don't ever bother trying to melee it

I did it in fully upgraded Catarina gear with a +4 occult weapon and the flame resist ring/Water Veil and I wanted to put my head through a wall by the end of it

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So does anyone actually kill that dragon on the bridge from Undead Burg to Undead Parish on the first go-round? Because, fuck that thing. I just ran under it like a little sissy. Did manage to kill that boar on my second try, though.

The boar is piss easy given that it can't climb stairs.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    So does anyone actually kill that dragon on the bridge from Undead Burg to Undead Parish on the first go-round? Because, fuck that thing. I just ran under it like a little sissy. Did manage to kill that boar on my second try, though.

The boar is piss easy given that it can't climb stairs.

Hey! Let me have my tiny victories! I did manage to lure it into those flaming piles of bodies, which knocked off about half its health, since it'll just stand in the fire.

Also, I noticed I'm collecting 20% more souls since getting my Drake Sword. Is that just a badass bonus for hitting stuff really hard?

mrsatansig.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Overkilling things does kinda give you more souls depending on how much extra you do I think, yeah.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Oh, OK. So it's variable? I wonder what the max bonus is.

mrsatansig.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It's a flat percent increase if you overkill something

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    OK. That makes sense. Seems to be 20%.

mrsatansig.png
    edited January 2012
    I beat the Gargoyles on my first try! Woop woop!

P.S.
    I love this Drake Sword.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    You know, Blight Town isn't too bad so far. Just gotta watch out for those dart fuckers (who can eat a dozen dicks).

mrsatansig.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    so what's the best PvPing class now, after the patches?

Are you liable to actually find people with the Darkmoon covenant, or ir it just better to go Darkwraith/Dragon?

btw the only one I haven't actually tried to play as is the Gravelord Servants. they any fun?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    Eh.

When it works it can be?

But you might as well just be human in the painted world or anor londo instead.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    never even seen a red soapstone summoning sign

not even damned once

wY6K6Jb.gif
    This is so dumb. I can't find anyone to invade with the darkmoon covenant, so I try being human in the painted world, no dice.

Now I'm human in darkroot forest and I can't even get anyone to invade me.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I had the most fun with the Forest Hunter and Darkwraith covenants. No shortage of pvp with those

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    my current character is in the Darkwraiths

I'm gonna jump back in at some point and do some proper PvP

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote:

That .gif explains almost the entire game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote:
    SLyM wrote:

it just needs an NPC laughing and a bloodstain in front of the frog bug thing

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    SLyM wrote:

Yeah pretty much

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Guys I got this game yesterday!

I've been truckin' through the 'Burg, throwin' fireballs and spearin' dudes

I've got the hang of dodging and rolling around back to give them an assfulla spear, but every time I run into one of the sub bosses I'm like WELP and lie down and die.

also, that graveyard next to the Firelink? that place is scary, those skeletons just won't stay down.

I really enjoy the notes/bloodstains/ghosts. They're a really nice touch, and add a lot to the weird purgatory aspect of the game/setting.

Depressperado on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    Finally beat this game. New game plus is so much easier. Forest grind nets 21,000 souls now, more if you have your silver serpent ring and treasure head helmet on, and I know what to expect!

And yet I can't stop. Also Sif is still a fucking asshole.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    I am currently running around PvPing with a demon's great machete.

• babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    Someone killed me with a giant sword that was on fire. I still don't understand where some of this gear comes from.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    So is it just me or is this game empty
    I've been trawling around on human for hours now in Sen's Fortress and no invasions, can't see any summon signs
    Occasional messages or bloodstains but otherwise nooope

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    what's your SL

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I kept being offline for some reason, and messages would show up, but no ghosts or summons

I had to fiddle with my 360 settings

try that I guess?

I got a drake sword, but my stats ain't high enough to use it yet, so I gotta grind my levels up

edit: oh, also depending on what covenant you're in, you might be less likely to get invasions and stuff

Depressperado on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    that and you get put in with people close to your SL so if you're too high or too low for the area you won't see much of anyone
    fz2aO.jpg

you can get plenty of co op in anor londo from anywhere between 30 and, like, 70

anyway, pface, just so you know, the level range for summoning is 10% of your level +10

Much appreciated
    I sort of figured Anor Londo would be the standard zone for player interaction
    I don't suppose being in Europe would put me on different servers or anything of the sort?

I don't think so

the main difference is whether or not you are on the PS3, since the Xbox version was not released in Japan

360 so I assume that cuts out the whole country excluding a few lonely importfolk

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I beat the Gargoyles on my first try! Woop woop!

P.S.
    I love this Drake Sword.

Fuck you!

But also wait

Can I block fire with a Target Shield? I've gotten so used to trying to parry things that I just realized shields actually work fine against some crazy boss-things.

Also what the hell is the sunlight temple thing? I got past the dragon by going under the bridge, do they mean you need to kill it to find the temple?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    no, most people run by it

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    sunlight altar is the bonfire under the dragons ass. the altar is the broken statue outside of it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    try kiln for pvp

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    if you're below level 80 you're totally fine

try the duke's archives or the painted world when you can get there

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    If you really want some player interaction join the Forest Hunters. I found that to be the busiest option

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    yeah in forest hunters i literally did not have time to repair my armor in between summons.

also NG+ SEATHE STATUS: TOLD

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.