Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

OghulkOghulk whale oil beef hookedjames k. polk middle schoolRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Singularity Engine++
dark-souls.jpg

The followup to one of the best games of 2009 is here, and it's hard as fuck.

Trailers:
Spoiler:

Reviews:
IGN - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html
Gamespot -- http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dark-souls/video/6337762?tag=topslot;title;1

Gameplay videos:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

Soundtrack:

Post your handle if you want to be added to this list.
People getting this fantastic game (forum name/XBL/PSN tag:
PS3:
Oghulk -- CrazyDemonBunny
VALVEjunkie=VALVeJunky
cj iwakura = cj_iwakura
vermiculture
Virgil_Leads_You -- L4ST_L3VI4TH4N
X360:

news_dark_souls_bartholomew_trailer-11780.jpg

Good Luck

Stat Breakdown thanks to the G&T thread
Spoiler:

Oghulk on

• YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
    perhaps we should get the name of the game right before we post the thread

• MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    I want this game.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I will change the title of the giant bomb thread if you incorporate "Death, Actually" into this title

Somestickguy on
    i8oqDXr.png
    That's my blog, click the sig to go there!
  • OghulkOghulk whale oil beef hooked james k. polk middle schoolRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote:

was a joke

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky FONOTUNE Electric FairytaleRegistered User regular
    dammit I was just about to make this thread
    that's been happening a lot recently

that said I am pppuuuuuumped

Kochikens wrote: »
    oh man I saw an otter with a boner at the seattle one and this kid asked his dad, IS HE EATING A HOT DOG
    and I laughed forever
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be a PC port. This sounds like the kind of game that could do decently well on the PC.

Either way, thumbs up to a company for doing something unique for once.

I'm probably going to rent this at the very least. I may end up buying it, but I dunno, I bought Demon's Souls and ended up trading that in fairly quick. Though to be fair, I never actually tried to play that game very well.

• OghulkOghulk whale oil beef hooked james k. polk middle schoolRegistered User regular
    I highly doubt there'll be a PC port

actually I have no reasons really to doubt it, but it just doesn't seem like something FROM SOFTWARE or Atlus will do

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Moriveth wrote:
    I'm probably going to rent this at the very least. I may end up buying it, but I dunno, I bought Demon's Souls and ended up trading that in fairly quick. Though to be fair, I never actually tried to play that game very well.

Demons souls was, at least for me, a game that demanded you know how to play it well and or learn while dying. I think it took me 4 hours to get through the first level, but even though it was incredibly hard I never had a death where I felt was the games fault, it was always a mistake on my part or something that I could improve on.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    PS3
    VALVEjunkie=VALVeJunky

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    so fucking excited you guys

ultimakay wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Demons souls was, at least for me, a game that demanded you know how to play it well and or learn while dying. I think it took me 4 hours to get through the first level, but even though it was incredibly hard I never had a death where I felt was the games fault, it was always a mistake on my part or something that I could improve on.

Oh yeah, definitely, the main thing I've heard about these games is that when you die, it's always because of something you did and not a cheap shot by the game.

I have 1-1 memorized to a pretty decent extent, barring a few item drops that you only get at the beginning of a playthrough. My memory has gotten worse because I haven't played in about a year, but at one point I could even tell you specific enemy placements relative to doors and how to counter every trap.

oh man I saw an otter with a boner at the seattle one and this kid asked his dad, IS HE EATING A HOT DOG
    and I laughed forever
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely, the main thing I've heard about these games is that when you die, it's always because of something you did and not a cheap shot by the game.

That or a dragon swooping in from nowhere

i8oqDXr.png
    That's my blog, click the sig to go there!
    There are a few sections that are pretty cheap, namely 5-2. Fuck 5-2 so hard. Also, 5-3 is pretty ludicrous without major cheesing.

and I laughed forever
    Demon Souls is only on PS3 right? I seem to recall wanting to play it but not having a PS3.

• DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Demon Souls is only on PS3 right? I seem to recall wanting to play it but not having a PS3.

Yeah, Demon Souls is PS3 exclusive whereas Dark Souls is on both the PS3 and 360.

PIZTDhW.jpg
    Yeah. Dark Souls is PS3 and 360, though!

Yeah, I might rent it! I'm kind of broke so sadly I can't provide the company with more money, but I'd like to see them succeed. Also I haven't a good hard game (that isn't fake hard) in a long time.

Last time I pushed myself, I think, was finishing God of War II on Titan difficulty.

I had a few pretty good kills in multiplayer.
    Once I faked out a guy by acting like a mage (my main character was a battlemage) while fighting a mage. He countered me with anti-magic field. In the time it took him to do that, I came around the corner, rolled past his homing soul arrow sprays (not an easy thing on the 1-2 walkways) and axed him.
    I should note here that the sole weapon I used besides an enhanced longbow was the axe I spawned with, raised to Quality level. Not the most efficient weapon but damn I learned to love it.

and I laughed forever
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    @DHS ODIUM thread

sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
    I'll probably end up renting this for the 360.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

was a joke

idgi

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

Good luck even scratching the surface.

I'll be there day 1. PSN: cj_iwakura

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
    Yeah, I doubt I'll get far.

Got Gamefly? I'm sure you can make it decently far with that!

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    I wanna play this game, alright.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Good luck even scratching the surface.

I'll be there day 1. PSN: cj_iwakura

me tooooooo I'll see you on there cj!

• A steak!A steak! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I really have to go back and beat Demon's Souls. World 5 can really go suck a dick, though. There's literally nothing enjoyable about it.

Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
    A duck! wrote:
    I really have to go back and beat Demon's Souls. World 5 can really go suck a dick, though. There's literally nothing enjoyable about it.

But what about all the poison? And swamp? And giant troll men?

• A steak!A steak! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A duck! wrote:

I'd rather go through ten miles of 2-1 hearing nothing but those bells than play 5.

Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
    Magus` wrote:
    Got Gamefly? I'm sure you can make it decently far with that!

Yeah, but both Gamefly games I get are already here. There's no way I'd get it in time before everyone that wants it gets a copy and the availability drops to 'low'.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

I'd rather go through ten miles of 2-1 hearing nothing but those bells than play 5.

It's much easier when you get a friend.

And/or become an archer. Seriously, Viscuous Bow + 5 breaks that place wide open. (Also, turn the brightness up.)

fiV9i14.jpg
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    ps3 vermiculture

VERY EXCITED

steam id: vermiculture
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I'd like try a Sorcerer.

Whether that involves having to hide behind a shield the entire time, is something I'm worried about.

edited September 2011
    Shield? Mages don't need shields.

I like the tone of that second trailer, but the Bartholemew one was amazing.

Oh my god
    Please help me

Those six words summarize Dark Souls in a nutshell.

cj iwakura on
    fiV9i14.jpg
    I'm thinking I might go warrior to start off with, decent dex and strength

A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

hahaha I know exactly what you mean

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I missed out on Demons Souls but I'm not missing out on this.

obsidianspur.jpg
    -I am The Alpha and The Omega-
    preorder from Newegg is go. I am kinda considering the hardcover strategy guide as well, cos it looks gorgeous.

and I laughed forever
This discussion has been closed.