As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Torchlight 2] It's out!

UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
All this talk about the Diablo 3 beta got me excited for Torchlight 2 as well.

k4rQy.jpg
Official Site

What is it?

Sequel to the surprise hit indie game for 2009. Created by some of the same folks involved in Diablo 1 and 2.

When is it coming out?

Runic's line is before the end of 2011, which I tend to believe as this game would get buried if they released it after Diablo 3.

Haha, summer 2012. Preorders are up on Steam and directly from Runic (Actually I don't see anyway to order from Runic directly, looks like a Steam exclusive for now)

What's new?

Co-op play, bigger worlds, 4 new character classes, new UI, new Matt Uelmen music.

Why should I care

Because it's Diablo style action for $20 and the game looks pretty awesome. Also mods and no always on DRM.

Videos
Oh and if you want to talk about Torchlight 1 that is cool as well.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
Uselesswarrior on

• Options
    OP reserved.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i like torchlight

it is full of torches

and lights

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Just to make sure people fully understand how involved the Torchlight team was in Diablo 1 and 2, they weren't just some of the devs, they WERE Blizzard North. Max and Erich Schaefer founded Condor, which became Blizz North. The composer of the Diablo 1 and 2 music is the composer for Torchlight 2 (Matt Uelmen). Runic games actually has much more claim to the diablo legacy than Blizzard do (in terms of the gameplay and music). So uhh, yeah, people who liked Diablo 2 should be more excited for this than diablo 3 tbh.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Except Torchlight 1 definitely fell short of the D2 magic for me. I enjoyed it, beat it once and delved a bit with all of the classes, but it never grabbed me the same way D2 did.

I'm intrigued by TL2, but I wouldn't say I'm lusting to get my hands on it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Torchlight 1 was going for a Diablo 1 style rpg. I think that T2 probably has a chance to nail the D2 magic.
    I've got my fingers crossed for an eventual XBLA version.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    I kind of liked the lack of open areas in Torchlight 1, but the skills left something to be desired.

• Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    I loved the first game web though it was rather limited. Pretty excited about TL2; it will feed my loot grind urges until D3.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    thejazzman wrote:
    Just to make sure people fully understand how involved the Torchlight team was in Diablo 1 and 2, they weren't just some of the devs, they WERE Blizzard North. Max and Erich Schaefer founded Condor, which became Blizz North. The composer of the Diablo 1 and 2 music is the composer for Torchlight 2 (Matt Uelmen). Runic games actually has much more claim to the diablo legacy than Blizzard do (in terms of the gameplay and music). So uhh, yeah, people who liked Diablo 2 should be more excited for this than diablo 3 tbh.

Eh, they're both going to be great, don't really see any need to classify either of them as being the true diablo successor or some such.

As far as release date goes, is there any indication torchlight is in fact going to be out before diablo?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    thejazzman wrote:

Eh, they're both going to be great, don't really see any need to classify either of them as being the true diablo successor or some such.

As far as release date goes, is there any indication torchlight is in fact going to be out before diablo?

I would say Diablo III's a Blizzard game, so Torchlight II coming out before Diablo III's a given, but then again, considering Runic's pedigree...

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I need Torchlight II to be released before Diablo III. Because it's the only way I will be able to play it with my friends, ever.

Once Diablo III is out, their interest in this game will be completely gone. Sad fact, I want to play both.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Diablo 2 was deeply flawed in a lot of ways. D3 seems to be fixing pretty much all of them - I hope Runic isn't afraid to innovate the same way.

I'm concerned that Torchlight 2 won't have persistent online storage though. That really takes away a lot of the incentive to grind for gear.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Will there be server-only characters, similar to Battle.net's Realm characters?
    No such service will be hosted by Runic Games. Final word on a community-based private server system has yet to be confirmed or denied.

Oh well.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Torchlight failed to grab me because, ultimately, I knew I couldn't play with friends, which is what kept me coming back to Diablo 2 for a ridiculous number of years. This game seems to rectify my core "where my bros at" issue.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    From the gameplay videos, it really doesn't look like they've properly addressed a lot of the legacy action RPG problems that plagued the first game.

Oh well. 8(

Inferior Boots.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote:
    From the gameplay videos, it really doesn't look like they've properly addressed a lot of the legacy action RPG problems that plagued the first game.

Such as?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Torchlight's art has a lot of character to it, which is pretty much what got me hooked on the game. I'm looking forward to part 2 and all, but mostly as a single-player experience. Really, single-player games are pretty great sometimes you guys! :P

(and yes I know it has multiplayer, I can't help but feel someone was gonna try to point that out)

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ronya wrote:
    No such service will be hosted by Runic Games. Final word on a community-based private server system has yet to be confirmed or denied.

Oh well.
    Gah, that pretty much just dropped it from a must buy day 1 purchase to "well, i guess i'll pick it up if steam ever has it on sale for less than 5$...probably"
    for me

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Runic Games isn't in a position to run a system like that. I think you guys are maybe underestimating how much money such a thing would cost. They need to pull in money to sustain it for a long time.

What I want to know is, if that system not being present is a deal breaker for you, then why? Is it the security side where characters can cheat? Did you really plan on playing with random people or with people you know and trust to not cheat?

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Torchlight is my favorite Diablo clone so far and I am always in search of the new best Diablo clone. What is also odd about me is that I don't enjoy playing Diablo 1or 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote:

Oh well.
    Gah, that pretty much just dropped it from a must buy day 1 purchase to "well, i guess i'll pick it up if steam ever has it on sale for less than 5$...probably"
    for me

I don't get it. Why are server side characters that important?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Runic Games isn't in a position to run a system like that. I think you guys are maybe underestimating how much money such a thing would cost. They need to pull in money to sustain it for a long time.

What I want to know is, if that system not being present is a deal breaker for you, then why? Is it the security side where characters can cheat? Did you really plan on playing with random people or with people you know and trust to not cheat?
    I play with random people far more than people I know due to working odd hours, and I find games like this boring as hell single player (couldn't stand torchlight one due to this) so yeah, a game like this is pointless to me w/out server side characters

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, did you buy the first one, Talios? Honestly, I don't see the problem with the server only characters thing. I mean, I understand why it would be a good thing, but I've always looked at Torchlight sort of as a budget title that's a fun way to kill some downtime. I never really considered it as the type of game that you could invest as heavily into as Diablo 2 was, and therefore I never really thought it needed that kind of security. Definitely looking forward to Diablo 3 more than TL2, but TL was good enough that this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    ronya wrote:

Oh well.
    for me

I don't get it. Why are server side characters that important?

Cheating I guess. I would think it would make playing this game style pointless online especially with the type of mods you can enable on Torchlight 1.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:

I play with random people far more than people I know due to working odd hours, and I find games like this boring as hell single player (couldn't stand torchlight one due to this) so yeah, a game like this is pointless to me w/out server side characters

Ah okay, fair enough.

• Options
    Oh I see. That'd indeed put me off playing with randoms.

• Options
    Let's be honest though, it never took very long for the ladder seasons of D2 to get hacked to shit with dupes and whatnot. Realistically, the safest way to avoid cheating in either game is going to be the same method, only play with people you know/trust.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:
    Let's be honest though, it never took very long for the ladder seasons of D2 to get hacked to shit with dupes and whatnot. Realistically, the safest way to avoid cheating in either game is going to be the same method, only play with people you know/trust.

This is true, but the sort of hacks you'd find on open battle.net go so far beyond anything on ladder, it's ridiculous.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Runic is planning on making a Torchlight MMO, so running servers of some kind is clearly in their future. So a future non-MMO Torchlight III might feature server-side characters a la Diablo II.

Of course, by the time Torchlight III hits the ground, Diablo III would have already been out. Probably.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was about to say, I thought T2 was supposed to be the MMO, using the money from the first game?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Wasn't the whole point behind the first Torchlight to drum up money and support for an MMO based in the Torchlight universe?

Could have sworn that was Runic's original intent.

I would imagine that once they realized how much people love Diablo clones they probably shelved the pricey, high maintenance MMO idea in favor of Torchlight II.

Not that I blame em.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Runic is planning on making a Torchlight MMO, so running servers of some kind is clearly in their future. So a future non-MMO Torchlight III might feature server-side characters a la Diablo II.

Of course, by the time Torchlight III hits the ground, Diablo III would have already been out. Probably.

Over the course of development, Blizzard has (potentially) lost a few customers due to their decisions. It's possible that T3 will carve out a space for itself.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:

Over the course of development, Blizzard has (potentially) lost a few customers due to their decisions. It's possible that T3 will carve out a space for itself.

I have a feeling the only customers Blizzard loses are the ones who've died of old age.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    With a system like Torchlight 2's or open B.net you're looking at things orders of magnitude worse than just duping items, in terms of what's possible with cheating.

Everything from character trainers, to mods that make every item that drops on the ground a unique, to hacking up items that have an item mod list so ridiculously huge it breaks the borders of the screen.

So, the argument that "well Diablo 2 wasn't secure either" rings a little hollow.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    I don't play with random people so it's not a matter of malicious hackers to me. But just the knowledge that anyone can hack in anything they want cheapens your accomplishments. Without the feeling of permanence I just don't have much desire to continue working on my character after beating the game once.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote:
    With a system like Torchlight 2's or open B.net you're looking at things orders of magnitude worse than just duping items, in terms of what's possible with cheating.

Everything from character trainers, to mods that make every item that drops on the ground a unique, to hacking up items that have an item mod list so ridiculously huge it breaks the borders of the screen.

So, the argument that "well Diablo 2 wasn't secure either" rings a little hollow.

Don't get me wrong, I remember how awful Diablo 1 was w/ regards to hacks, but honestly in these types of communities I really think the best option is always going to be "play with people you know." I just don't think that this is big enough of an issue as to be a gamebreaker. I think it'll still be a fantastic game, and I really don't think you can fault Runic too much for not providing servers. They're a fairly small company, but they're pretty well plugged into their community. It won't be perfect, but I think they've got a lot going for TL2. Bottom line, I don't think that the lack of server-side character saves should persuade anyone to avoid the game.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote:
    I don't play with random people so it's not a matter of malicious hackers to me. But just the knowledge that anyone can hack in anything they want cheapens your accomplishments. Without the feeling of permanence I just don't have much desire to continue working on my character after beating the game once.

Cheapens your accomplishments? Howso? They are a little bit that's been flipped from 0 to 1 to show you have done something. Do you care what some random person on the web thinks? So get your achievement and move on. Play with your friends. Hold yourself to the higher standard and don't go after the glass bauble.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    It's not a dealbreaker, if you like this kind of game, I agree.

On the other hand, it seems pretty clear that the lack of a secure online environment is doing to do a lot of damage to the game's potential online community. As you said yourself there is now a huge incentive to only play with people you know, and the lack of any kind of trading market or real legitimacy also hurts the game's longevity. It is what it is, they made the best of their limited resources by just opening up the platform from the get-go. It comes with its own drawbacks.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Torchlight 1 was pretty rough on XBLA, at least in the trial. A really shoddy framerate...I couldn't even justify giving 5 bucks for it.

If they do Torchlight 2 on XBLA and fix that problem, that sounds like it'd be cool. I like this style of game.

The art style is so bad, though. So bad.

• Options
    Athenor wrote:
    Zek wrote:

Cheapens your accomplishments? Howso? They are a little bit that's been flipped from 0 to 1 to show you have done something. Do you care what some random person on the web thinks? So get your achievement and move on. Play with your friends. Hold yourself to the higher standard and don't go after the glass bauble.

Glass baubles are what this genre is all about. The lack of any real persistence solidifies the game as a transient experience that you play once or twice to enjoy and then put away. These little things make all the difference in the world to the longevity of the community for a game like this.

• Options
    Ah. As a longtime MMO addict I see where you are coming from, but.. I guess this is why I never got into D2 or Borderlands multi.

Carry on, then! :)