As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how much should i charge?

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
so i've recently become known as "that guy who designs cool graphics stuff", and i have someone asking me to commission a t shirt design for their non profit group. thing is, i was on the board of that group and am still friends with a lot of their members now. also, i've never really charged for anything like this before.

how much should i charge for a t shirt design? or alternatively, where can i look to find out what graphic designers/artists normally charge for this sort of thing?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Looking at Glassdoor.com, it varies pretty significantly, as with most creative-type fields. In Chicago, it looks like $20 /hr+ is a safe bet.

Is there more work likely, or probably just this shirt? For one item, a flat rate would probably be easier, though you have the potential of getting boned if they want a lot of edits.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You could charge a flat fee with an additional hourly fee on top of that if they want changes made.

How long will it take you to make the shirt by itself? Figure roughly $20/hr. for that as a flat rate, and tell them it'll be $10-15/hr. more if they want changes. You don't necessarily need to tell them how you figured your flat fee.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    How many shirts are they planning to print up of this design? You might charge differently if they only wanted to print up a few dozen compared to if they were looking to print off a up thousand. It might not be too much to ask for a design fee and then another fee that varies with how many copies of the shirt they want to print. I'm of the impression that most of the t-shirt a day places pay out a prize for the design and then like $1 for every shirt sold to the designer.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If it's your friends and these t-shirts aren't meant to be a mass produced thing then I'd say charge them like $60-$100 for the design if it's not going to take you more than a few hours. Give them a mock up first to see if they like the layout, and once that's approved do a few different color choices so that maybe it will limit the changes they might request.

If they're looking to sell a bunch of them to make money for the non-profit then maybe ask $1 a shirt plus the original fee.

Either way, just be friendly, as you already are with them, and they'll realize you're still cheaper than anyone else they would probably hire.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    republic of merepublic of me Registered User regular
    my brother usualy charges 20 to 50 euro. Hes only a student he isnt qualified yet so mabey you should charge more?