As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2012 Primary] After unfounded rumors of adultery, this thread is reevaluating its topic

SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Experience thus far has demonstrated that this thread will die a slow and painful death surrounded not by loved ones so much as a throng of people screaming at one another about irrelevant nonsense while ElJeffe desperately beats his fists against its chest, futilely willing it back into life through some combination of CPR and hate.

But in the meantime, there are new developments which have immediate bearing on the primary elections of this cycle, and maybe we can have a place to talk about those developments until the inevitable is realized! On scheduling: first Florida and then South Carolina have moved up their primary dates, exposing them to penalties related to the number of delegates that can seat at the Republican National Convention (penalties which the RNC completely disregarded during the 2008 cycle). New Hampshire considers moving their primary up to December, Iowans suggest that they may have caucused last week while the rest of us were watching Dancing with the Stars.

On poll position: to the glee of everyone who said he was going to be this cycle's Fred Thompson (me!), Texas Gov. Rick Perry's support has eroded in two separate polls. Even more surprising, both of those polls show support for Herman Cain surging as Cain's name ID improves. Some attribute this surge to Cain's 9-9-9 deal, which I'm given to understand has something to do with 9 medium pizzas, 9 toppings, for 9 dollars. Get it? He's a pizza magnate. GET IT?

And in late breaking news, the Washington Post attributes to an unnamed source that NJ Gov Chris Christie will not be running for President. While this is not exactly news since Christie himself has been insisting on it since forever, I mention it because it illustrates a important point. Sure, the Washington Post didn't have anything new or even interesting to add to the discussion with that article, but at least they were talking about a primary and were on-topic.

May we all follow the Washington Post's example going forward.

(How the fuck is that 'news,' WaPo?)

SammyF on

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So Perry raised 10 million in six weeks, which is more than Romney made in the first quarter.

I guess being the Republican Id brings out the big money. Or maybe it's all Texas oil cronies that think he can set them up with plush(er) jobs when he's in power.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    lol @ Republicans nominating a black guy

That will never, EVER happen. He's just the Guy of the Week.

Next week it'll be.....Haley Barbour again, who knows?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh, and at some point it'll be Palin.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christie would last about 2 weeks before the Tea Baggers realize he's a moderate probably to the left of Romney

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Still not sure how much I want Romney to get the nomination. I think he'd probably... maybe? be better than any of the (remotely likely) others but I suspect that his flaws will be ignored by people who hate Obama more than they distrust him.

Cain would be funny, especially after how Michael Steele did.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    After all the sturm and drang it's just gonna be Romney in the end IMO

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Oh man I really hope Cain somehow wins the nomination. It would give me a hearty chuckle to see the GOP nominate this random CEO with absolutely no political experience.

Tenek wrote:
    Still not sure how much I want Romney to get the nomination. I think he'd probably... maybe? be better than any of the (remotely likely) others but I suspect that his flaws will be ignored by people who hate Obama more than they distrust him.

Romney's Presidential performance depends entirely on the Congress he has.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    An obama vs cain election would probably explode the birthers heads.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Delzhand wrote:
    So Perry raised 10 million in six weeks, which is more than Romney made in the first quarter.

I guess being the Republican Id brings out the big money. Or maybe it's all Texas oil cronies that think he can set them up with plush(er) jobs when he's in power.

Romney raised $18 million in the second quarter, so $10 million certainly isn't unheard of. But the FEC seems not to have any of Perry's paperwork online at the moment, which might be illuminating. Maybe he really did have a bunch of lobbyists bundling Texas oil money. Or maybe he seeded the pot by dumping in a lot of his own money.

Raising eight figures in a fundraising quarter and still losing public support, though...yikes.
    After all the sturm and drang it's just gonna be Romney in the end IMO

I agree. This is just how their portion of the electorate works nowadays, early adopters rally around the best-known candidate while everyone else hops around from one candidate to the next in their absolute certainty that there must be someone better out there. By February, Romney will have enough delegates for this second group to grudgingly settle on him with the most tepid of support.

SammyF on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    At this point in the cycle I expect everyone's numbers to fluctuate wildly while we play the "candidate of the week" game.

With Florida and SC moving their primaries up that means we are probably 3 months away from the Iowa caucus. Weeeeee moving up that election season by a month.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The fact that people were even hoping that Christie would jump into the race this late in the game shows just how bad the field is right now.

Which may be the only thing that saves Obama. But if Christie says no we still have a month of "Will Palin run?"

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote:

Lord Limbaugh has spoken and Cain was forced to grovel.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Christie would last about 2 weeks before the Tea Baggers realize he's a moderate probably to the left of Romney

It's telling that very little of the supposed grassroots (boardroom roots?) support for Christie has to do with his overall positions, and more about how he's a loudmouthed jerk (er..."straight-talking realist") who really wants to punch the New Jersey teacher's union in the face.

It would be funny as hell to watch Christie get torn to fucking shreds in the primaries once he starts failing purity tests left and right and then goes all Carl "baseball bat" Palladino crazy and starts throwing fat man tantrums.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Oh man I really hope Cain somehow wins the nomination. It would give me a hearty chuckle to see the GOP nominate this random CEO with absolutely no political experience.
    To be fair, he was chairman of a regional Fed.

SyphonBlue wrote:

Lord Limbaugh has spoken and Cain was forced to grovel.

See?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh man, remember when Bachmann was being seriously considered as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination?

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    To be fair, he was chairman of a regional Fed.
    So he was also a high-ranking banker? Still not helping my opinion of the GOP.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Tenek wrote:

Hmm. I'm not sure - I expect a Republican taking the WH means Congress will be largely deferential regardless of who controls what chambers.

Lolken wrote:
    Oh man, remember when Bachmann was being seriously considered as the frontrunner for the GOP nomination?

I think she is still in the top 3. Maybe not on every poll (why, WHY is Cain considered a serious candidate?), but when things shake out it will be Romney, Perry, and Bachmann.

edited October 2011
    Tenek wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Tenek wrote:

Hmm. I'm not sure - I expect a Republican taking the WH means Congress will be largely deferential regardless of who controls what chambers.

I think it'd depend on whether anyone ever pulls the trigger on eliminating the filibuster (or at least eliminating the cloture vote). The political inability to get anything liberal enough to make the lefty activists and longtime House members swoon past the parliamentary rules of the Senate has a lot to do with the legislation signed into law between 2009 and 2011.

SammyF on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Tenek wrote:

I'm thinking Romney with Democrats solidly in control of Congress might actually work reasonably well for everyone.

Tomanta wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

I think she is still in the top 3. Maybe not on every poll (why, WHY is Cain considered a serious candidate?), but when things shake out it will be Romney, Perry, and Bachmann.

Because the media is making him into one. (Which is curious since Limbaugh disproves, and usually the Media and Limbaugh are in agreement.)

Hm. On second thought, it makes sense. The more the Media toot Cain, the more they can improve their ratings among a very specific demographic and thus drive up advertising revenue.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Tomanta wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Fun game: Google the word "Bachmann" and see how many of the top results in the "news" section have to do with someone else quitting her campaign.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It's all about which bigotry takes priority. Their so-so feelings towards the idea of a black nominee take less precedence than their hatred of government programs that don't benefit their tribe, latino immigrants, democrats and Obama. If Cain can say the right things about immigrants etc., his being black will be a minor issue.

jothki wrote:
    I'm thinking Romney with Democrats solidly in control of Congress might actually work reasonably well for everyone.

Don't democrats have an uncomfortable number of senate seats in the running this election?

Absalon on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    kaid wrote:
    Huh? I don't think those nuts have anything to question about Cain's status as a natural born citizen. Even by the standard they've concocted (born to two citizens in US territory), Cain qualifies.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

Absalon wrote:
    It's all about which bigotry takes priority. Their so-so feelings towards the idea of a black nominee take less precedence than their hatred of government programs that don't benefit their tribe, latino immigrants, democrats and Obama. If Cain can say the right things about immigrants etc., his being black will be a minor issue.

jothki wrote:

Don't democrats have an uncomfortable number of senate seats in the running this election?

True, but then again there is Elizabeth Warren (D) who is taking on Scott Brown (R) in Massachusetts. Polls show them tied right now even though 37% of people in Massachusetts never even heard of Warren. Scott better start kissing up to the Middle class (maybe hanging out at Occupy Boston?) if he wants to improve those poll numbers.

edited October 2011
    SammyF wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Fun game: Google the word "Bachmann" and see how many of the top results in the "news" section have to do with someone else quitting her campaign.

I didn't say it was a close 3rd.

But who else would fit that spot? Gingrich? SANTORUM?

... but thanks, I hadn't actually heard of mass defections from Bachmann's campaign. I've missed having this thread.

Tomanta on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:

Romney raised $18 million in the second quarter, so $10 million certainly isn't unheard of. But the FEC seems not to have any of Perry's paperwork online at the moment, which might be illuminating. Maybe he really did have a bunch of lobbyists bundling Texas oil money. Or maybe he seeded the pot by dumping in a lot of his own money.

Raising eight figures in a fundraising quarter and still losing public support, though...yikes.

There's how much the candidate committee (Romney for President) raises and then how much the associated SuperPAC raises. Restore Our Future was founded by former Romney aides and is obviously going to be campaigning for him, and any contributions to ROF will have the same basic effect as contributions to Romney for Pres. ROF raised $20 million in the quarter, on top of the $18 mil for Romney for Pres. So to actually follow the candidate's fundraising, you need to follow both the candidate and the related SuperPAC. Perry's SuperPAC is Make Us Great Again, for reference. And fundraising and donor info for the quarter ending September 30 has to be submitted by October 12 (I may be off by a day or two) so it ought to be up on the FEC site some time in the middle of October.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2011
    Perry is Republican's retribution for electing a black man as president. After all, he used to go hunting on N*****head Ranch.

ElJeffe on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    jothki wrote:
    Tenek wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Tenek wrote:

Except, you know, for judicial nominees and the actual enforcement of various regulations.

Edit: And foreign policy.

Lawndart on
    Absalon wrote:
    21 Democrats, 2 "independents" and 10 Republicans. North Dakota and Nebraska are the most likely pickups for the GOP. There's also a bunch of red-leaning states where the Democrats are going to have to play defense (Missouri, Montana, Virginia, maybe Wisconsin). The only clear potential pickup for the Democrats is Massachusetts.

Rigorous Scholarship

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Absalon wrote:
    21 Democrats, 2 "independents" and 10 Republicans. North Dakota and Nebraska are the most likely pickups for the GOP. There's also a bunch of red-leaning states where the Democrats are going to have to play defense (Missouri, Montana, Virginia, maybe Wisconsin). The only clear potential pickup for the Democrats is Massachusetts.

You obviously haven't met our Representative. Rehberg is doing everything in his power to shoot himself in the foot while shoving it into his mouth.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What is Romney's foreign policy?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Absalon wrote:
    Nevada also has a chance - and if Harry Reid could save his own ass, there's a decent possibility that he can sink Heller's.

Modern Man wrote:
    Absalon wrote:

You obviously haven't met our Representative. Rehberg is doing everything in his power to shoot himself in the foot while shoving it into his mouth.

And yet he still have a 53% approval rating. Lemme guess, he's the sort of guy that could get elected from prison?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    kaid wrote:
    Huh? I don't think those nuts have anything to question about Cain's status as a natural born citizen. Even by the standard they've concocted (born to two citizens in US territory), Cain qualifies.

you're cute

like facts ever got in the way of birthers

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Absalon wrote:

And yet he still have a 53% approval rating. Lemme guess, he's the sort of guy that could get elected from prison?

Well, there was that one BUI...

Mainly, it's a testament to the power of incumbency.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Modern Man wrote:
    kaid wrote:

you're cute

like facts ever got in the way of birthers
    I'd wager that most birthers are probably also Tea Partiers and Cain is sort of the Tea Party darling these days. I've never heard anyone claim that Cain doesn't meet the NBC standard, even under the kookiest interpretation.

Rigorous Scholarship

• LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    SammyF wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

I didn't say it was a close 3rd.

But who else would fit that spot? Gingrich? SANTORUM?

... but thanks, I hadn't actually heard of mass defections from Bachmann's campaign. I've missed having this thread.

She being third, at an hypothetical 20%-gap from the 2nd place, wouldn't mean anything for her. It'd just show the other candidates sucked more than her. It'd actually be a very bad showing for her, especially because - unlike Gringich and mr. frothy mixture - she was actually in everyone's minds for more than 15 minutes (ok, it was 20 minutes, but still...).

Absalon, you're mixing "tea partiers" with "birthers". Birthers are people who still believe Obama isn't an US citizen - the obvious, hidden reason being that he's black. They're just vicious racists, big government doesn't have anything to do with it. Herman Cain might be as Tea Party as they come (I wouldn't know about that, one way of the other), but he's still black, and that'd be Very Bad for the birthers.

This discussion has been closed.