As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. A veritable buffet of souls!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I've been ranking DOWN a bunch of useless/stupid comments. The kind that say "Amazing Item Here!" and it's clearly a pit, or trap. But then all it seems I've done was contribute to the rating total. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effects or cause the message to disappear.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I've been ranking DOWN a bunch of useless/stupid comments. The kind that say "Amazing Item Here!" and it's clearly a pit, or trap. But then all it seems I've done was contribute to the rating total. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effects or cause the message to disappear.

The messages are so bad on the PS3 I don't even read them anymore.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    I think we should all pledge to make sure to rank up as many useful comments as we can while playing, just to see if anything happens.I've never even seen one of my messages get a single rating, and I thought they were pretty good. I'm thinking that maybe your messages only exist when you are online.

Given that they've said the matchmaking is completely peer to peer with no master server i'd think that has to be the case

edit: i'm also on the ps3 and the vast majority have been positive, there's one or two that just lure me to my death but before every big ambush i've hit for example, there's been a message warning me

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The 360 messages have been pretty helpful for the most part, only ran into a handful of misleading ones, and even those were pretty blatantly obvious or jokes. Like, "try jumping!" next to a huge cliff.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I just found a sword with a dexterity bonus of B, I take it that means that it will gain LOADS of damage from my dexterity? A baldur side sword.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I haven't hit many misleading ones at all on the 360. I might be getting lucky with the groups I'm getting paired with on their server, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    I just found a sword with a dexterity bonus of B, I take it that means that it will gain LOADS of damage from my dexterity? A baldur side sword.

Yup.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote:
    I think we should all pledge to make sure to rank up as many useful comments as we can while playing, just to see if anything happens.I've never even seen one of my messages get a single rating, and I thought they were pretty good. I'm thinking that maybe your messages only exist when you are online.

Given that they've said the matchmaking is completely peer to peer with no master server i'd think that has to be the case

edit: i'm also on the ps3 and the vast majority have been positive, there's one or two that just lure me to my death but before every big ambush i've hit for example, there's been a message warning me

I think they really need a basic master server for the messages to work, surely you could just do it really easily if all it was doing was rebroadcasting the messages.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    The 360 messages have been pretty helpful for the most part, only ran into a handful of misleading ones, and even those were pretty blatantly obvious or jokes. Like, "try jumping!" next to a huge cliff.

In the tutorial:
    On the staircase with the iron ball that falls down, there was a message that said "Look out!" or whatever

...which I got to read after I was run over.

How do you leave messages on the PS3? Select is now the gestures menu.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote:

Not LOADS, but slightly above average. A is good, S is what you want to look for if you're doing a Dex build

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

In the tutorial:
    On the staircase with the iron ball that falls down, there was a message that said "Look out!" or whatever

...which I got to read after I was run over.

How do you leave messages on the PS3? Select is now the gestures menu.

You have to buy an item to write messages from a merchant. He shows up pretty early in the game, but is easy to miss.

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    My copy needs to arrive, soon.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Ugh.

I still need verification of the black phantoms spawn from loot thing.

try dropping it offline. The vagrant should show up in your game. There's also a chance the item will rank up if you kill the vagrant.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I haven't hit many misleading ones at all on the 360. I might be getting lucky with the groups I'm getting paired with on their server, though.

They're not even misleading anymore, just completely uselss. Just "I did it!" and "Praise the Sun!" etc over and over and over.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    try dropping it offline. The vagrant should show up in your game. There's also a chance the item will rank up if you kill the vagrant.

Hrm. In a wheelchair, unsure how to even get it offline and all that jazz without having someone unplug the damned thing for me.

Boooo.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

They're not even misleading anymore, just completely uselss. Just "I did it!" and "Praise the Sun!" etc over and over and over.

Yeah I like a praise the sun whenever there's a decent view of the weather or atmosphere, but if I see 100s of them in the darkest sewer I've ever been it.... gets kind of stupid.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Hrm. In a wheelchair, unsure how to even get it offline and all that jazz without having someone unplug the damned thing for me.

Boooo.

You should be able to sign out on the blade menu.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Bizazedo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Boooo.

PS3 or 360? Either one though, you should be able to turn off the network in the systems settings someplace. From in-game, I dont know if there is an option.

edit: or ya, sign out like he said.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ever since I first read about Demon's Souls, it has been the one PS3-only thing I've been envious about. Ever since I first read about the sequel-but-not-really arriving on the 360, I've been looking forward to it. Now my copy is in the mail and arriving tomorrow. The wife has been forewarned. This camper is a happy camper!

(cut 24 hours ahead, scene: me crying in a corner, the game having well and truly kicked my ass)

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:

Not LOADS, but slightly above average. A is good, S is what you want to look for if you're doing a Dex build
    There are very, very few A rank dex weapons, let alone s.
    Painting Guardian Sword (a tiny curved dagger) A, Grant (a great club that requires a 50 str and 30 faith) A, Short bow A, Longbow A, Black Blow of Pharis S, and that's it unless the guide missed one. It should also be noted that the parameter will always decrease with any enhancement except for the basic +1 line, so no fire or lightning or whathaveyou.

Can anyone tell me how to use a boss soul for the purposes of weapon forging? I'm trying to make
    The Blade of Chaos from a iaito+10 using the soul of quelag.

As best as I can tell I've got the mats and weapon all lined up. Do I need to go to a smith? Do I just use the item? I'm just worried about using it for souls on accident.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    As a thief, should I focus on Strength or Dexterity? They both seem to boost my weapon damage, but I started with more Dexterity.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The smith will forge it as long as you have the soul in your inventory

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Arkady wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

Painting Guardian Sword (a tiny curved dagger) A, Grant (a great club) A, Short bow A, Longbow A, Black Blow of Pharis S, and that's it unless the guide missed one. It should also be noted that the parameter will always decrease with any enhancement except for the basic +1 line, so no fire or lightning or whathaveyou.

Can anyone tell me how to use a boss soul for the purposes of weapon forging? I'm trying to make

As best as I can tell I've got the mats and weapon all lined up. Do I need to go to a smith? Do I just use the item? I'm just worried about using it for souls on accident.

In the previous game you went to the smith with the right weapon at the right + level and then the option to change it would show up. In this game I think its just the modify option at the smith.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    My character just had a white flash and a BEEYOOOWARP! noise next to him, previously I'd thought this was me gaining something from either the fire being kindled or humanity from a monster, but I know the totals I had before and I have nothing new...

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

Painting Guardian Sword (a tiny curved dagger) A, Grant (a great club that requires a 50 str and 30 faith) A, Short bow A, Longbow A, Black Blow of Pharis S, and that's it unless the guide missed one. It should also be noted that the parameter will always decrease with any enhancement except for the basic +1 line, so no fire or lightning or whathaveyou.

Go to weapon ascension, it should say iaito and you can use left and right on the dpad to select what path of ascension you want to upgrade with. also hi ark : O

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    DrCongo wrote:
    Ever since I first read about Demon's Souls, it has been the one PS3-only thing I've been envious about. Ever since I first read about the sequel-but-not-really arriving on the 360, I've been looking forward to it. Now my copy is in the mail and arriving tomorrow. The wife has been forewarned. This camper is a happy camper!

(cut 24 hours ahead, scene: me crying in a corner, the game having well and truly kicked my ass)

Pretty much this. I've beaten I wanna be the guy, and I play I wanna be the boshy every now and then. So when I saw a game like Demons Souls, cruel memories of Silver Surfer, Dragon's Lair, and Castlequest ruled my brain but they were attached to fond memories. Then I learned it was PS3 only and I cried a little.

Then Dark Souls was announced and I've been following it since then. I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments so far in the game, even if I died 20+ times and restarted twice.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote:
    My character just had a white flash and a BEEYOOOWARP! noise next to him, previously I'd thought this was me gaining something from either the fire being kindled or humanity from a monster, but I know the totals I had before and I have nothing new...

Humanity from a monster doesn;t have any visual effect. It sounds like you killed a Space Invader.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote:

Might be that resonance thing they were talking about if someone casts a spell in their game around your location. If you cast the same spell there its supposed to be more powerful too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    DrCongo wrote:

Pretty much this. I've beaten I wanna be the guy, and I play I wanna be the boshy every now and then. So when I saw a game like Demons Souls, cruel memories of Silver Surfer, Dragon's Lair, and Castlequest ruled my brain but they were attached to fond memories. Then I leanred it was PS3 only and I cried a little.

Then Dark Souls was announced and I've been following it since then. I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments so far in the game, even if I died 20+ times and restarted twice.

This game has IWBTG-like deaths in it :(

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any downside to killing the dragon on the bridge? I dont wanna find out later on that I've lost the abilty to do something cause of it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Ghost. Oh my.

Oh my.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:

You should have gotten another estus flask, it happens whenever another person near you kindles a bonfire i think.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    Arkady wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

Go to weapon ascension, it should say iaito and you can use left and right on the dpad to select what path of ascension you want to upgrade with. also hi ark : O

I had to go to a specific smith
    The one in Anor Rondo
    , and hi robes :D

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Dusda wrote: »
    As a thief, should I focus on Strength or Dexterity? They both seem to boost my weapon damage, but I started with more Dexterity.

Both will probably be useful to you, but I would think dex more so if you focus on weapons that scale off of it, dex also increases your move speed, which will allow you to set up backstabs more often to take advantage of your weapons high critical ratings.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Question from last thread: Can you ininvade in human form and where do you get the item to invade?

I'm also assuming starting Firebombs makes the tutorial boss a piece of cake. Nuke him when he first shows up.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    I just found out this game was released, I was doing a press blackout. But I was pissed because I didn't have any money. Then I got a late graduation check in the mail today for $200. Gonna buy this game pretty much asap XD

Is there a wikia for this game, yet? I want to read up on the basics before I jump in. I played Demons Souls, never beat it, but I sunk 30 or 40 hours into it and had a blast. Is it pretty much that, just with a bigger budget?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ultimakay wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

You should have gotten another estus flask, it happens whenever another person near you kindles a bonfire i think.

I think that sometimes that happens, I know once I had 11 flasks, but sometimes nothing seems to happen. I really want to grind out one more humanity point to summon someone to help me on the boss :( I think humanity is just much too rare, you should lose it a lot, but you should also be able to gain it OK. Espescially since the area for sign summoning is so small. I put my sign down by the boss, then go and kill the last 4 or so knights in the church area and then have to go reset the area and it removes my sign. Which is no help.

I'm focusing on just hugely upgrading my weapons and armor to help with the boss. My longsword is +5 now, and I think having +3 armor will surely help me stay alive more.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Mifio wrote:
    Is there a wikia for this game, yet? I want to read up on the basics before I jump in. I played Demons Souls, never beat it, but I sunk 30 or 40 hours into it and had a blast. Is it pretty much that, just with a bigger budget?

I was the same way, played demons souls for around 40 hours but never beat it. Dark Souls feels very similar, down to how the weapons handle, really big changes are the estus flasks, humanity and no hub world. There are also convenants but I haven't gotten to that point in the game.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    oh, i thought you got an estus flask when someone rated your message positively, like the heals you'd get in Demon's Souls

i do get flasks on occasion, i guess it's a bonfire thing

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Question from last thread: Can you ininvade in human form and where do you get the item to invade?

I'm also assuming starting Firebombs makes the tutorial boss a piece of cake. Nuke him when he first shows up.

This is actually the best way to get his crazy good club: pick the black firebombs as a starting item and just nuke him with a couple. it's very easy.

This discussion has been closed.