As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
18mdc6.jpg
No single volume to date has yet collected all six thousand years of
Arcanum’s recorded history. Indeed, many would argue that it is
impossible to approach such a Gargantuan subject within the covers of a
single book! When I was a younger man, it was my burning ambition to write
the definitive history of all Arcanum, but I never imagined for a moment that it
was possible to do so in a simple or concise manner. Instead I labored for many
decades, traveling from place to place in my researches, and produced no fewer than
twenty-three detailed volumes which I dared to call "The Compleat Histories".
Alas, the fiery arrogance of youth!
I now believe that compiling the entire history of Arcanum in any great detail
is a task well beyond the reach of any one man—and what is more, it is a task
which will become more difficult with every passing year. In my travels, I have
had occasion to sift through many of the world’s great libraries and scriptoriums,
searching always for the most ancient books, scrolls, and tablets which were still
legible. Arcanum’s history revealed itself to me slowly, showing first one face and
then another as I spent weeks, months, and even years in transcription and translation.
But for every precious source document which had been recorded on a
sturdy clay tablet, a sheaf of hammered gold, or a roll of soft vellum, there were
a hundred papyri which were as dry and fragile as old leaves, and a hundred more
which had half-crumbled into illegible fragments. The millennia of knowledge
contained therein were in imminent danger of being lost forever—and in some cases,
they were lost before I ever arrived.
Both the elvish and dwarven races are possessed of rich oral histories, which
chronicle events even more remote and arcane than those recorded by their scribes—
but these oral traditions are hard to come by for those outside the appropriate race
and culture, and I’ve rarely been privy to them. Perhaps that is best, as the line
between fact and myth grows less clear the further one looks behind, and the transcription
of oral histories is more properly the work of a folklorist than an historian.
Whenever possible, I have always attempted to keep my own chronicles
well-grounded in fact, erring on the side of discretion rather than speculation or
untoward credulity; over the years I’ve found that it’s rather easier to believe a
well-told and dramatic story that it is prove that story true!

A Let's Play of Troika's epic steampunk, tolkein-esque all around fun time journey? Will it work out well?
Maybe?

Find out as we read from the diary of one Michael Stone!
All documented here at the Tarant University for your viewing pleasure.

Over the next few days i'll start it up. Right now I'm just going to leave a teaser up regarding it and actual content will start tomorrow!

Teaser:
Excerpt from the diary kept by one, Michael Stone.

Should anyone find this diary and read it i should hope that they know who i am, so i shall endeavour to inform you the reader of my identity.

You might recognise the name Stone, It was my fathers name, he was a Hero from my hometown. He was known for defending us all from a rising bandit warlord. By the times the paper got a hold of the story it was blown so far out of proportion that the events that transpired were something from the stories all children were told as kids. In actual fact my father was accosted by the drunken ‘warlord’ one day whilst travelling home from the market and my father, who pertained to violence easily beat him to death. Very few people know this truth, and now as you’re reading this you do too. He later spread the story of a mighty battle with him and his bodyguards and the people of my hometown ate it up and my father quickly found himself in the spotlight.

Being the son of a ‘hero’ might sound very well and good but i assure you that my father was far from a hero, he was an angry and belligerent man and i oft spent time away from home half living with other relatives, and that suited both of us fine. As I came of age our arguments became increasingly more intense and always bordered upon violence. Thankfully, it never did as he died shortly after my eighteenth birthday. Not from anything as dramatic as one would hope, he died from his excesses and a large funeral was held for him. After that business his estate was divided up between my mother and I, but because of our.. sour relationship I ended up with an honorary sword gifted to him by one of the wandering gypsy tribes for helping making the roads safe for travel once more.

It was my only reminder of him, and I wanted to be rid of it. As I went to the pawn shop i found out the blade was enchanted. I decided to keep it from that point. No point getting rid of it just yet.
From that point I was more or less on my own. I went from place to place in my hometown looking for work, but there wasn’t enough to go around. The draw of big cities was taking people in and slowly the town I grew up in started shrinking until eventually I too had to leave, using a large portion of my funds I booked passage upon a airship to the city of Tarant.

AND WHAT A VOICE OVER!!

Yep, everything will be done with a voice over.

For those of you who don't know Arcanum is a steampunk/Tolkein style RPG that uses the Fallout engine as a base, it's fun, incredibly deep and all around fun, awesome time. AND you can get it (much to my nerdy joy) that you can get it on GOG.

And i'd like to thank chiasaur11 for the inspiration.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
Botznoy on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is this blind or have you played the game before? Either way, the best playthrough I did was an Idiot Savant Ogre with 20 strength. I was also entirely naked.

Surprisingly, this was the easiest run through of the game that I played.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I keep meaning to try Arcanum, but like with Planescape Torment, I'm not actually interested in the game itself, I just want experience all the dialogues and story.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I can see why. Much like Planescape, it's not as fun to actually play the game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I bought this during a gog sale. I played through a lot of it, but it was kind of hard because I chose to play as an ugly dwarf so everyone hated me.

People are mean in this game. :(

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    some of the charm is the character creation kinda throwing you to the wolves. Of course this is all after the fact, not much fun finding out techie is balls difficult and expensive towards the beginning. Switching to a mage who was basically hooked up to an IV of energy potion to power his nonstop destruction was pretty refreshing

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I wish this game had done the techie side a little better. It was functional, but the playing a mage was just so easy in comparison. A very good game nonetheless.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to play this game sometime, since I bought it and I like the open, but Jesus Christ the camera/move system is annoying. Every second of patient panning was an agony longing for a Baldur's Gate-style camera.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I bought Acanum from ebay like 2 years ago and have yet to play it. Sounds really fun, whacky and random and kinda old school. But as another poster mentioned, I more want the experience than the actual gameplay. I bought Planescape because I'd never played it and after about 30 minutes I became fed up with all the systems. Graphics aside, it's really hard to go back to that stuff. As much as I want to play Arcanum, I'm kinda worried that will turn out the same way.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    If you guys want I'll post video's of the voiced dialogue?
    Ala Virgils converstions and Bates and everyone important.

Yeah, i tried playing a tech character once, but it quickly becomes a problem as your high tech makes it hard for Virgil to heal you at all and you're forced to pop the tech health pots in the middle of frantic combat.

Aegeri wrote:
    Is this blind or have you played the game before? Either way, the best playthrough I did was an Idiot Savant Ogre with 20 strength. I was also entirely naked.

Surprisingly, this was the easiest run through of the game that I played.

I have played this before, once through to the end and another time i had to return it just before the end. Yes back in the day when you'd rent games

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    that'd be really cool, Botznoy

watching LP videos is how I "played" through the second half of P:T :)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    I'll have the first part of this upped soon, I just need to write and do the voice over work and i'll put it all together and put it on youtube,

I'll also post the script, Screenshots where needed and the pure audio aswell incase you don't want to watch and just want to read/look at pretty pictures

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVtY7XtKaA

Part one with Most of it is story stuff, talking and other fun interesting bits.

With an additional piece from Stone's Diary

"Not many people could say that they’ve ever been on an airship, Nor can they say that they’ve been involved in the crash of one and walked away the only survivor. I can, and after regaining consciousness I found my self pulling wreckage away from a dying gnome, he didn’t speak much sense but he gave me a silver ring and urged me to ‘find the boy’ what that means i’m not sure.
    Shortly after I was approached by Virgil, and we talked. He’s decided to commit himself to me as I'm apparently the reincarnation of some god. We thoroughly explored the crash site, finding numerous supplies and foraged supplies from the surrounding country side. My fathers sword proved useful as there were small wolves and boars dotting the landscape and the occasional Kite, an ugly small creature, One was larger than the rest sat upon a fine wooden chest next to a fire. It was no real trouble and Virgil and I killed it quickly, inside the chest I found some money, a potion, and a strange green crystal. With night falling we headed towards a small cave only to find it infested with rats. There were also signs that someone had been living here, as we went deeper we found the remains of a poor soul that’d been murdered. As we approached his spirit leaped out of his body and told us his story. We agreed to help him, but not before reaching Shrouded Hills to see the local physician and get some hard sleep."

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote:
    I wish this game had done the techie side a little better. It was functional, but the playing a mage was just so easy in comparison. A very good game nonetheless.

What isn't apparent when you start is that a tech character is likely better off being some sort of fighter or rogue that supplements themselves with tech and you don't rely on it quite the same way a mage does in magic. That and guns rather suck.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    that'd be really cool, Botznoy

watching LP videos is how I "played" through the second half of P:T :)
    Wait, of all games to video LP vs screenshot, planescape:torment? O_o

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tech is all sorts of busted just like magic is, its just as Steel Angel suggests you don't realize this because tech works by boosting innate abilities. And as such you don't realize it until you find pyrotechnic axes and bows and realize that their destructive power compared to magical equipment is pretty amazing.

There is of course one exception, which also might give your character the nickname "The Molotov Chaingun"

Edit: Also, you might want to look into some info on giving speeches/public speaking/reading for books on tape. The rhythm or lack thereof (and exhaling and monotone and unnatural pauses) make it really hard to listen to.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    When I tried playing I started a techie gunslinger sort of character, and I had a sword or something as backup, and the sword was consistently better than any firearm. I know I could try a mage or fighter but it seems to defeat the point of a steampunk. I could play a mage or fighter in any other game.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I always wanted to play those great older RPGs, but never felt my computer could do it. If I'm able to run Baldur's Gate II, then can I run Planescape: Torment?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Goumindong wrote:

Edit: Also, you might want to look into some info on giving speeches/public speaking/reading for books on tape. The rhythm or lack thereof (and exhaling and monotone and unnatural pauses) make it really hard to listen to.

I'll look it up, i'm usually better just feels strange doing it.

If anyone wants to help do the V/O work i won't say no. I'll keep doing the lets play and writing the diary but i'll probably hold of doing voiced segments

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I always wanted to play those great older RPGs, but never felt my computer could do it. If I'm able to run Baldur's Gate II, then can I run Planescape: Torment?

Yes baldurs gate 2 is post planescape torment, so it shouldn't be a problem. But unless your computer is 10+ years old your worrying over nothing. My computer is 5 years old and was low end even back then and I have no problem.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Yes baldurs gate 2 is post planescape torment, so it shouldn't be a problem. But unless your computer is 10+ years old your worrying over nothing. My computer is 5 years old and was low end even back then and I have no problem.

I'm currently running it with all the necessary mods on the cheapest netbook money can by, no problems!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Im curious how a standard character (aka not harm-spammer) gets past the golems in the mine at that certain part in the game lovingly seared into our memories

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Disintegrate was the spell that made me fall deeply in love with magic.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Im curious how a standard character (aka not harm-spammer) gets past the golems in the mine at that certain part in the game lovingly seared into our memories
    Go to ashbury, load up on fatigue/healing pots, get dog. Heal dog and just get everyone to attack w/o weapons. Failing that i just stuck the difficulty to easy and tried again and again

Oh yes. I remember. Those. Fucking. Golems.

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Magic > tech in this game in a huge, huge way. The only way they could have balanced things was to require you to use heavy spell components for spell casting. By the time a techie has the resources and gear to be badass the magic dude has already been running around disintegrating shit for hours.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    One of my all time favorite games. The voice acting and music in this game is excellent

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Wish this was on steam (yes I know it's on gog)

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    I bought this during a gog sale. I played through a lot of it, but it was kind of hard because I chose to play as an ugly dwarf so everyone hated me.

People are mean in this game. :(

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Ugly Dwarves Nobody Likes

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Magic > tech in this game in a huge, huge way. The only way they could have balanced things was to require you to use heavy spell components for spell casting. By the time a techie has the resources and gear to be badass the magic dude has already been running around disintegrating shit for hours.

Magic is better than tech in every single way. Harm is pretty much the best source of damage you could ever want and you can get it right off the bat, for energy/damage ratio and conservation. Later on you get Disintegrate for when fuckers absolutely positively gotta die right this instant. On top of all of this, you have Teleport. Know how those filthy techy plebs WALK or take TRAINS or whatever bullshit to get from point A to point B? Yeah, open world map point at place teleport you're there.

Bow to your mage god king overlords.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    All ugliness can be undone if you wear a red smoking jacket. Then for some reason everyone just likes you better. Life is better with in a suit

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is one of the few games where I play something besides human. Playing an elven mage just feels right.

• Options

New episode is up, which i actually took yesterday. We meet Magnus, get a fancy new jacket and and and Do a side quest

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Great game. Played it back when it first came out. Tried it again recently and was so much harder to get into. Loved it the first time though!

• Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    Haha, yes. Arcanum is one of my favorite games of all time. I always enjoy watching the LPs as it is most enjoyable to see another gentleman struggle through the games potentially tough combat and always tough camera controls. I will be keeping a close eye on this one.

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    Just wait till i get to the mines. JUST WAIT

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Silly Vergil, and evil poison.

"I'm seriously hurt, sir! Please help me!"

The real time combat is pretty comical, isn't it? The vicious sack beatings go by quick.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Spoiler question (very big spoiler don't read if you don't want to ruin something good)
    When Virgil runs off after the dark elf city portion. What clues/directions are you given by the game leading up to that point to find where Virgil? I've never known cos my bro told me you just roll on over to caladon.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    I think you have to talk to Joachim, maybe. It's been a while though so I could be wrong.

• Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    I am amazed you can play it with real-time combat. Good luck sir! This was a good game, if only because of the wide array of customisation options.