Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Be advised

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Slated for release;

NA October 25, 2011
AUS October 27, 2011
EU October 28, 2011

battlefield3.jpg

Battlefield 3 is a first-person shooter video game, being developed by the Swedish company Digital Illusions CE and to be published by Electronic Arts. It is to be released on November 2, 2011 for Mirosoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Contrary to its name, it is the twelfth installment in the Battlefield franchise, and the real sequel to Battlefield 2, released in 2005.

What separates it from the numerous other "realistic" shooters out there? Well, first and perhaps most importantly: You get to use a lot of ARMOR! Tanks, APC's, Humvees, jets and helicopters are all at your disposal as well as the full range of infantry combat. This game also boasts destructible environments and enormous 64 player multiplayer maps (24 on consoles). The scope of gameplay is huge here and if it lives up to Battlefield: 1942 and Battlefield 2, it will deliver a ton of fun and the best multiplayer shootin' experience around.

The feedback has been very positive from our own Alpha testers in this thread. (*)

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3

PICTURES!

ke9j0n.jpg2rg1gt1.jpg 23rx0fc.jpg ohlpol.jpg awdu1u.jpg t87vaf.jpg 2870ifn.jpg 2z8rbwx.jpg
a0ofTl.jpg 1zfOkl.jpgYNCe1l.jpg 9FwDql.jpg
Jm2Shl.jpgicAUAl.jpg
A8aX8l.jpgEXo2wl.jpg
QIWJvl.jpg



Gameplay Trailers!

Longer Multiplayer goodness:


Multiplayer teasers:




Frostbite Engine trailer



Singleplayer

Guillotine Teaser


8min single player tank trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A&fmt=37

Fault Line singleplayer trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc


It looks really great. It took 6 years but we finally have a proper sequel to Battlefield 2 and it happens to look amazing. The graphics and animation are all a step above any competition and the shooty bits look fun as hell. Can't wait!

Zzulu on
t5qfc9.jpg
«13456794

Posts

  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    We were gods in BETA.

    We will be gods in live.

    "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    We are the righteous hammer of justice that will show all the heretics the folly of their ways. We are PA.

  • TaranisTaranis Must be the feeling, it brings to you That makes you do what you doRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY.

    Facebook-
    Battlefield
    Welcome to the final 24 hours of the BF3 Open Beta! Thanks to everyone for your feedback to date, get your last rounds in before we close the beta on Oct 10th at 12:00pm (noon, CET). And don't forget to check our latest feedback FAQ post: http://bit.ly/nf9FSD

    That "feedback" is certainly less than encouraging.

    nerosig_zps80ae1f48.png
    steam / mwo: calverin
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Anyone got links to the new trailers? I never saw them and want to put 'em in the op

    t5qfc9.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Captain 'Crawler of the Warship XavierRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    These?



    Turambar on
    nc_sig_1.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY.

    Facebook-
    Battlefield
    Welcome to the final 24 hours of the BF3 Open Beta! Thanks to everyone for your feedback to date, get your last rounds in before we close the beta on Oct 10th at 12:00pm (noon, CET). And don't forget to check our latest feedback FAQ post: http://bit.ly/nf9FSD

    That "feedback" is certainly less than encouraging.

    How so?

    EDIT: I really wanna try out the m240b before I go to bed >.<

    TOGSolid on
  • TaranisTaranis Must be the feeling, it brings to you That makes you do what you doRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY.

    Facebook-
    Battlefield
    Welcome to the final 24 hours of the BF3 Open Beta! Thanks to everyone for your feedback to date, get your last rounds in before we close the beta on Oct 10th at 12:00pm (noon, CET). And don't forget to check our latest feedback FAQ post: http://bit.ly/nf9FSD

    That "feedback" is certainly less than encouraging.

    How so?

    EDIT: I really wanna try out the m204 before I go to bed >.<

    While I'm not assuming that this FAQ is comprehensive, I don't like the fact that it's comprised mostly of bug fixes for a build that DICE has assured us is over a month old. Only 1 and 4 seem to be changes implemented due to feedback. The fact that they failed to mention anything on a number of non bug related issues is the most worrisome part. It's assumed that the bugs will (or at least should) be fixed by launch, but they should address whether or not the player collision detection will altered, the tac lights will be tweaked, ping and/or clan tags will show up in in-game scoreboards, whether or not they might add gamepad support in the future, what (if any) features will be added to battlelog, etc. They insisted that they weren't beta testing the game itself, but the backend and battlelog, yet they didn't address how response to the beta will affect either of these (#10 really is a nonanswer).

    Taranis on
    nerosig_zps80ae1f48.png
    steam / mwo: calverin
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Maybe those things were fixed long ago and are a complete non-issue.

    I'm still amazed how things like the tac-lights make it past like the pre-pre-pre-alpha build. They are instantly annoying.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    I am literally so bad at Caspian Border.

    metroid_sig.jpg
  • WarcryWarcry Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Maybe those things were fixed long ago and are a complete non-issue.

    Pretty much this. In other news, to beta till the break o' dawn, or not to beta?

    Warcry616.png
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    I am literally so bad at Caspian Border.

    How are you playing it? Not to piss on anyone's shoes here, but if you're playing an infantry battle, I think D (Checkpoint) and E (Antenna) aren't worth taking.

    If you take B (Hilltop) you have immediate access to 2 other points: A (Gas Station) and C (Forest). It also lets you easily harass/spot people as they're leaving D. Owning A-B-C gives you an advantage in holding points, and I find that just by roaming to whichever one is being contested I can accidentally flank the attacking forces, rack up a few kills, and get a decap/cap. Playing as Engi, by the way.

    steam_sig-400.png
    GarageFridge on Twitch
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY.

    Facebook-
    Battlefield
    Welcome to the final 24 hours of the BF3 Open Beta! Thanks to everyone for your feedback to date, get your last rounds in before we close the beta on Oct 10th at 12:00pm (noon, CET). And don't forget to check our latest feedback FAQ post: http://bit.ly/nf9FSD

    That "feedback" is certainly less than encouraging.

    How so?

    EDIT: I really wanna try out the m204 before I go to bed >.<

    While I'm not assuming that this FAQ is comprehensive, I don't like the fact that it's comprised mostly of bug fixes for a build that DICE has assured us is over a month old. Only 1 and 4 seem to be changes implemented due to feedback. The fact that they failed to mention anything on a number of non bug related issues is the most worrisome part. It's assumed that the bugs will (or at least should) be fixed by launch, but they should address whether or not the player collision detection will altered, the tac lights will be tweaked, ping and/or clan tags will show up in in-game scoreboards, whether or not they might add gamepad support in the future, what (if any) features will be added to battlelog, etc. They insisted that they weren't beta testing the game itself, but the backend and battlelog, yet they didn't address how response to the beta will affect either of these (#10 really is a nonanswer).

    i think ping showed up in earlier iterations of the game. I don't really think Tac lights need to be 'fixed' at all.

    Player collision shouldn't affect prone players though because it's super annoying when a teammate pokes you and you go sliding out of cover and end up with a bullet between the eyes

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    I like how the jets in this are just overwhelmingly powerful when in the hands of a skilled pilot. It's a fair reflection of real world combat and what is great is that when you're up against a robust, well coordinated team, when you hear that roar of the engines from across the entire map, you actually get a bit nervous. It's fair to say they were balanced for the average Battlefield pilot, too. One who manages to ram it straight into the earth at supersonic speeds five seconds after takeoff.


    You could almost call BF3 an arthouse critique on contemporary warfare. All honour and courage has been taken out of combat and has been replaced by ultra high tech death machines that, if wielded correctly, are utterly unstoppable and outrageously overpowered.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    Yeah, feedback was generally things like "why isn't there a real killcam" or "why doesn't a sharp angle view of a taclight diminish its sun-like brightness?"

    Lots of which has been ignored. Although given the drivel in their forums, I guess I can't blame them.

    steam_sig-400.png
    GarageFridge on Twitch
  • TaranisTaranis Must be the feeling, it brings to you That makes you do what you doRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Maybe those things were fixed long ago and are a complete non-issue.

    I'm still amazed how things like the tac-lights make it past like the pre-pre-pre-alpha build. They are instantly annoying.

    So in lieu of responding to feedback about balance changes and gameplay tweaks, they decided to focus on bugs that they likely already knew about?



    Why is no one in vent? Everyone get on vent.
    mr_mich wrote:
    Yeah, feedback was generally things like "why isn't there a real killcam" or "why doesn't a sharp angle view of a taclight diminish its sun-like brightness?"

    Lots of which has been ignored. Although given the drivel in their forums, I guess I can't blame them.

    It's a shame they didn't have a better method of providing feedback and bug reports.

    Taranis on
    nerosig_zps80ae1f48.png
    steam / mwo: calverin
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    It's a shame they didn't have a better method of providing feedback and bug reports.

    I agree...there have been plenty of other betas that pop-up screens in-game, have in-game menus/forms, etc. I can't help but think that if people were going out of their way to spew filth onto Battlelog, they would've abused those too. With a beta of this scale though, I'm not sure how they'd deal with such a mass of information.

    steam_sig-400.png
    GarageFridge on Twitch
  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    My favorite new thing yields almost no points but is up there among my favs.

    TOG is moving on the hilltop alone. But Mojo is shouting out directions, and spotting enemy locations to him. Guided him through 2 on 1 encounters. Guided him to snipers. He goes 1 man army with my help, Kills like 4 takes the point alone. No scratches.

    "Where the fuck are you? Did they get you?"
    Me- "Im in the mav above you. Im laying in some bushes 3 points over."

    If my mans know exactly where your bad guy mans are- You will die hard. I love the small things in this game.

    "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The recon drone is so awesome and I hope they up the points you get for using it and maybe create a "recon drone ribbon".

    Seriously Mojo, I wish you were on my team at all times <3

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    I'm actually considering going silencer on my primary for Caspian, since all I'm doing is sneaking up and trying to ninja points.

    Anyone tried it? Does it really stop your gunfire from giving away your position as much? I'm always worried that someone's spotted me, and thus retreating into a dark corner doesn't do anything. Is there any way to tell if you've been "spotted"?

    steam_sig-400.png
    GarageFridge on Twitch
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    I'm actually considering going silencer on my primary for Caspian, since all I'm doing is sneaking up and trying to ninja points.

    Anyone tried it? Does it really stop your gunfire from giving away your position as much? I'm always worried that someone's spotted me, and thus retreating into a dark corner doesn't do anything. Is there any way to tell if you've been "spotted"?

    Don't forget that spotting in this is different.
    If you are next to a wall and I spot you, when you go behind the wall and neither me nor someone else on my team has line of sight on you, your marker basically disappears in 1 second.

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo Ghost dog at my side.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    The recon drone is so awesome and I hope they up the points you get for using it and maybe create a "recon drone ribbon".

    Seriously Mojo, I wish you were on my team at all times <3

    Its why I love Battlefield... I may not be the best shot... I get my spots. But in a squad- Killing mans is not the only job that needs doing.

    "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    I'm actually considering going silencer on my primary for Caspian, since all I'm doing is sneaking up and trying to ninja points.

    Anyone tried it? Does it really stop your gunfire from giving away your position as much? I'm always worried that someone's spotted me, and thus retreating into a dark corner doesn't do anything. Is there any way to tell if you've been "spotted"?

    Don't forget that spotting in this is different.
    If you are next to a wall and I spot you, when you go behind the wall and neither me nor someone else on my team has line of sight on you, your marker basically disappears in 1 second.

    I do forget about that, but still, being aware of your last known location could be pretty clutch if you're soloing Hilltop.

    steam_sig-400.png
    GarageFridge on Twitch
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I wish i had flares for my heli and jet. So frustrating to have to dodge rockets all the time

    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Press ZL to squid Registered User regular
    Satsumono wrote:
    This doesn't make it easier:

    http://i.imgur.com/nLOhh.gif

    That is pretty awesome

    "I got it! I got it! JESUS F'n CHRIST!!!"

    It's like the N-word and the C-word had a baby, and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
    PSN: DrSkullnumbers
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Suppressors do help quite nicely since they greatly reduce the huge muzzle flash weapons have in the game, and of course, without a strong audible cue, it is harder for people to know where you are.

    Using my G35's I'm quite good at knowing where people are just by sound, also helps a lot when I'm tailing a jet in a dog fight and he goes out my sight, I just follow the sound of his engine.

    steam_sig.png
  • WarcryWarcry Registered User regular
    Apparently I can even Fraps this at a decent framerate on ultra maxed out settings. It goes from crashing every five minutes to allowing me to fraps entire rounds. Downclocking does help :D

    Warcry616.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Well duh. Pretty sure you could keep a moderate oc on that, 4gh was just overkill.

    steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    some pretty awesome stories in this thread. :^:

    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy | blog
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote:
    Apparently I can even Fraps this at a decent framerate on ultra maxed out settings. It goes from crashing every five minutes to allowing me to fraps entire rounds. Downclocking does help :D

    Ultra isn't in the game. Ultra is the same as High in the beta

    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Not all of it actually, because Ultra Mesh is actually in the game, don't know about the others.

    steam_sig.png
  • WarcryWarcry Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, there's a noticeable difference in the shading and framerate on all Ultra.

    Warcry on
    Warcry616.png
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    the game looks fine even at medium/low settings.
    https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10565193/1/bf3?h=81fb11
    Everything there is on low / off except for shadows which are on medium, and post aa which is on low
    probably because the high contrast fucks with it

    tyrannus on
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mojo, that sounds awesome. I can't believe how many things there are to do in this game besides "shoot at shit" and "drive vehicles around". You can be so creative in this game.

    Also, I disagree where it was said earlier the checkpoint isn't good for infantry. The checkpoint is a blast for infantry! Get a bunch of support and engineers and crawl around buildings while blowing up tanks that drive through! I was in an extended battle at the checkpoint once and it was just a mess, tanks at the checkpoint, more vehicles outside at a distance. They can come from either end of the road or from the river bed next to it.

    Honestly, I much prefer fighting tanks on foot on Caspian than fighting another dude who's in a bush on Metro.

    Edit: Yeah, the game looks great on low settings and my 8800GT runs the game at a high enough FPS that I don't notice any choppiness. I am impressed as hell. I might upgrade at some point in the future but I don't really need to now.

    Sarksus on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Warcry wrote:
    Yeah, there's a noticeable difference in the shading and framerate on all Ultra.

    Well several sites say the game does not have it
    DICE promises an "Ultra" graphics mode for the final version that is currently not implemented in the Beta. As for now, the performance barely fits the quality: Geforce GTX 570 and HD 6970 users "enjoy" the game with ~30 Fps in Full-HD (1.920 x 1.080) - as long as they're using the latest drivers. Following Nvidia's BF3 driver Geforce 285.38, AMD released the Catalyst 10.10 preview driver. Both AMD and Nvidia promise huge "up to" fps gains – and indeed, the game runs smoother with these drivers. GTX 580 OC owners don't get into trouble, with framerates over 40 Fps in open areas and drops down to 20 in heavy firefights.

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Satsumono wrote:
    This doesn't make it easier:

    http://i.imgur.com/nLOhh.gif

    That is pretty awesome

    "I got it! I got it! JESUS F'n CHRIST!!!"

    ahahaha, this is my favourite thing to come out of the beta

  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Maybe those things were fixed long ago and are a complete non-issue.

    I'm still amazed how things like the tac-lights make it past like the pre-pre-pre-alpha build. They are instantly annoying.

    So in lieu of responding to feedback about balance changes and gameplay tweaks, they decided to focus on bugs that they likely already knew about?



    Why is no one in vent? Everyone get on vent.
    mr_mich wrote:
    Yeah, feedback was generally things like "why isn't there a real killcam" or "why doesn't a sharp angle view of a taclight diminish its sun-like brightness?"

    Lots of which has been ignored. Although given the drivel in their forums, I guess I can't blame them.

    It's a shame they didn't have a better method of providing feedback and bug reports.

    Not to give DICE a pass but unless they have an utterly incompetent QA department they already know about the majority of these bugs. Many of them before they released the beta. We were used to test the server side infrastructure mainly. That's not to say all the problems are going to be fixed. But they probably know about them.

    As far as their community response that looks like typical corporate "cover your ass" stuff. When the community manager like Baza, or whoever, asks the various department managers if X is going to be fixed and how they are going to do it, the manager is probably going to give vague details at best so that if there's a problem it doesn't look like they didn't deliver. It's pretty typical from what I've found in any mid to large corporate structure. Add to that there are lot of moving parts in larger companies and getting the precise answer to things are in the middle of production can sometimes be tricky.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    I'm going to end up buying another 6850 aren't I?

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean
    Dr_Keenbean42.png
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I'm very annoyed by the fact that I'm one of the last people to load into caspian border every round. By the time I spawn I'm lucky if there is even a buggy left to jump into, sometimes I actually wait for one of the points to be taken and spawn there. And I have a beefy system with an SSD.

  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Blaming corporate structure for lack of transparency does very little to comfort concerned nerds

    but then again RO2 had it and look how that turned out :bz

    tyrannus on
  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    101 wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Satsumono wrote:
    This doesn't make it easier:

    http://i.imgur.com/nLOhh.gif

    That is pretty awesome

    "I got it! I got it! JESUS F'n CHRIST!!!"

    ahahaha, this is my favourite thing to come out of the beta

    I actually had a similar thing happen to me while using a mobile AA. Apparently one of the jets got a little mad at the fact they couldn't do damage to me and decided to kamikaze me. What was funny even though he hit me it didn't kill me (dropped to about 52%). But he did have a enough momentum to roll the AA over on it's top. With no way to roll it back over it eventually exploded.

«13456794
This discussion has been closed.