As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Be advised

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I like the new maps. I hope Back to Karkand is availabe soon.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I think the the support is my new favorite class. The SAW, and C4 make for such a great combination.

I really hope the 240 is good, because that's the weapon that I ultimately plan on using once retail hits.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    I think the the support is my new favorite class. The SAW, and C4 make for such a great combination.

I really hope the 240 is good, because that's the weapon that I ultimately plan on using once retail hits.

Very good.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Guys I'm going to say it, but I believe Metro first then Caspian later was actually a good decision by EA/DICE.

Whenever I let my friends play BC2, they always run around clueless and start to get very frustrated at constantly not knowing where anyone is and just dying without achieving anything.

Rush gives you a clear objective and path to take, and with Metro not having any vehicles, it also isn't overwhelming with frustration on how master them. This would not be true if all people playing BF3 were BF2 vets, but it is safe to say that the very grand majority of people planning to buy BF3 are at most BC2 vets, with a very sizeable number of people new to the franchise. The hype levels have created this, and it was absolutely imperative to not have people be immediately intimidated by a huge map with no idea on what to do.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    PFFFFTTT

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has been covered, but are our ranks being reset when retail hits?

• Options
    vamen wrote:
    I'm sure this has been covered, but are our ranks being reset when retail hits?

yes

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I must add, that as a BC2 vet (A little bit of BF2) I was very disappointed when it was only Metro, but I still believe they made the right choice to give a good impression.

• Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    There's more action on metro anyways. I'm always looking for guys on Caspian unless I get stuck in between an enemy spawn point.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    The magnum revolver is outrageously powerful. Hold my own against guys with assault rifles shooting at me.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    Anyone else seeing a humongous increase in hackers tonight? I can't get into a server without one.

• Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    Metro and maps like it are definitely going to be the ones to play initially to get ranks and upgrades quickly. While larger conquest maps like CB and such will be where the fun is with your new toys.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:
    I must add, that as a BC2 vet (A little bit of BF2) I was very disappointed when it was only Metro, but I still believe they made the right choice to give a good impression.

it probably would have been better to have planned to give everyone (consoles included) access to Caspian, instead of releasing it with 3 days to go in the beta. Would have stopped people bitching at least

• Options
    I understand that Rush has more appeal than conquest and I'm fine with that, and I'm very glad we got to eventually play Caspian.

However, it's somewhat surprising that they let us play Caspian when they insisted that doing so would require them to divert too much manpower which would be detrimental to the quality of the final product.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I experienced more action, personally, in Caspian than on Metro. I also ranked up faster on Caspian, as well. On Metro everything was so tightly packed that it was hard to move without getting killed by a guy in a bush. I looked at the killcam most of the time I played Metro. I didn't get much done and so I didn't rank up very much. On Caspian I'm in vehicles, or I'm following vehicles so that extends my life, repairing vehicles also gives me tons of points, and because the map is so open ended it's difficult to say where someone could be so I can surprise people or move about without getting immediately shot.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I fucking hate Punkbuster randomly locking up my PC. Ugh, why do they use this horrible goddamn thing.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:

It's good, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I scored more points Caspian than anything else.

Bipod + acog on the m4a1/ak make it a murder machine.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    When it was just Metro, I was just about ready to ditch my BF3 preorder. That shit was lame.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Caspian Border rush is actually really good, too. The addition of jets really makes it so the defense (and offense, I guess) has to consider dealing with tanks or air as engineers.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    by the way, this exploit is still in BF3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4AI4xH3o0g

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    So as beta comes to a close I want to know everyone's main concerns for both launch and post launch as well as everything that surprised you.

Surprises;
    - How outside of a few select servers - lag free and great hit detection (especially with shotguns)
    - Holding shift with vechicles, being able to powerslide a tank into a shot and feeling the weight of the buggy is great
    -Draw distance and shadows are amazing
    - I enjoy the Battlelog experience. I find it easy to find games and like being able to quickly alt-enter out of the game to check friends list or stats page to see my next unlock.
    -EOD bot reminds me of the drones in Frontlines: Fuel of war (only fun part of that game)

Concerns;
    - Platoon size being 100 is bad
    - While draw distance is great some of the skyboxes appear to be lower quality (Zoom into the blue mountains)
    - Dogfighting seems broken on both ends :: to easy to kill new pilots and impossible to get a plane off your six
    - I know it was addressed but weapon balancing I really hope they get right, I don't want to get killed by another PDW at more than close/medium range.
    -You die WAY to fast in a helo when attacked by an aircraft (if the bullets don't murder you them causing you to roll will cause you to crash
    - Causing damage to a vehicle enough to make it kill the player inside should count as a kill not as a suicide for the people inside.
    -Bushes causing reduced damage (I hope with increased destruction I can send them all to their maker)

Once we get our server up I think we should have a 15-30 second wait to map start once loading starts.

See you guys in a few weeks!

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Hopefully DICE has taken this opportunity to collect data on all of the flaws in server security. Either way it shouldn't matter since we will have our own servers.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    They had all of BC2 to fix it but it shows up in BF3!

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    by the way, this exploit is still in BF3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4AI4xH3o0g

God that music. It amplifies the asshole-ness of that video by at least 10

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    - How outside of a few select servers - lag free and great hit detection (especially with shotguns)

:cry:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    wait... conquest is the game mode of preference? I thought it was almost entirely Rush while we where playing BC2 here. I always assumed that was the main focus of the game.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    IIRC it was patched in later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sarksus wrote:
    I experienced more action, personally, in Caspian than on Metro. I also ranked up faster on Caspian, as well. On Metro everything was so tightly packed that it was hard to move without getting killed by a guy in a bush. I looked at the killcam most of the time I played Metro. I didn't get much done and so I didn't rank up very much. On Caspian I'm in vehicles, or I'm following vehicles so that extends my life, repairing vehicles also gives me tons of points, and because the map is so open ended it's difficult to say where someone could be so I can surprise people or move about without getting immediately shot.
    While I was getting more points per game on Caspian, I was getting weapon unlocks faster on Metro. I eventually found that the way to go was to switch to Metro when I unlocked a new weapon that I wanted to use until I had the attachments I wanted and then go back to Caspian. Honestly, not really a fan of that plan, but it made using a new weapon a reasonable option instead of sticking with the UMP.
    So as beta comes to a close I want to know everyone's main concerns for both launch and post launch as well as everything that surprised you.

Surpises:
    - The battlelog shows promise! Honestly, I was just expecting a mess and instead it actually has some neat bits (and a mess)
    - The EOD bot and MAV are fantastic
    - They seem to have done a pretty solid job of convincing you to play all the game types, or at least a reasonable selection
    - The game looks good. Really good.

Concerns;
    - Platoon size being 100 is bad
    - How outside of a few select servers - hit detection appears to be heavily affected by lag, including instadeath and being shot through cover.
    - All the lighting effects seem to be too blinding (the sun being a great example on Caspian)
    - I don't want to spend a month getting a gun that I like and the attachments I want for it. I don't want to spend a couple of weeks getting the EOD bot or the MAV. I've done my time in MMOs, I don't want to grind anything ever again.
    - I'm really not a fan of the battlelog as a DRM scheme

Syrdon on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Pros:
    - Everything handles amazingly, aside from a few issues with fences and the occasional rubberbanding on near-full Caspian servers.
    - Movement feels awesome, much tighter than BC2's, much more dialed in.
    - MAV nukes!
    - Battlelog is awesome. Fuck the haters.
    - Weapons feel heavy and substantial; the only ones that felt disconnected were very late unlocks with buggy sounds. This was with the AN-94 in particular, as well as the silenced Glocks. But they'll get hammered out before launch. Damage is spot-on when they're standing still, but a bit high with the sprint bug. Will get fixed.
    - Tanks are fucking awesome.
    - Helicopters are fucking awesome, but don't trust me to fly one, ever.
    - Jets are fucking awesome, but don't trust me to fly one, ever.
    - Jeeps are fucking awesome, and I will Dukes of Hazzard all of them for all time.
    - Spotting feels perfect. Not too hard, but still something worth doing 100% of the time. The rate at which the spot fades if you lose sight of them is very rapid, and wall-hacks with them (besides the ethereal rocks, which will also get hammered out) are non-existent.
    - Weapon unlocks were fast, and points were aplenty. This may be due to my playstyle moreso than the system itself, but I not once had a slow spot in a tree when playing. Fillin' dem bars.
    Cons:
    - Collisions are still a bit wonky, especially when in a tank. Getting stuck on trivial, tiny objects was something that would happen several times in a game. But you would learn to avoid them after a few games.
    - Platoons are too small. Take the stupidly low 100 people limit off.
    - Squads. They'll get fixed, but goddamn it was annoying.
    - Bloom for days. Too much.
    - Shotguns need to be changed. The 870 is fine, but has a few problems that are amplified due to its nature. I'll address those in the next bullet. But the semi-autos are all way too shitty. The only two shotguns even worth using are the USAS and 870, which are the last and first shotgun unlocks, respectively. All of the semi-autos shoot nearly as slowly as the 870 and are much less damaging and much less accurate.
    - Oftentimes, although I do not know the cause, as I fire a shotgun blast into someone and get hitmarkers, I'll die. Looking at their health in the killcam, they're at 100%. It's not some .010 millisecond thing; it's generally a full half a second or more. Shotguns are actually just not good at point-blank against anything, and going against the UMP or PP2K was a surefire way to get fucked.
    - Helicopters kill tanks too quickly. I understand that they're meant to counter tanks, but if you're in an Abrams and some jackoff in a Havoc can get even 10 of the cannon shells onto your turret, you die. A bit too much.

And as an addendum, to validate my claims-

finalbetascore.png

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Pros:
    - Everything handles amazingly, aside from a few issues with fences and the occasional rubberbanding on near-full Caspian servers.
    - Movement feels awesome, much tighter than BC2's, much more dialed in.
    - MAV nukes!
    - Battlelog is awesome. Fuck the haters.
    - Weapons feel heavy and substantial; the only ones that felt disconnected were very late unlocks with buggy sounds. This was with the AN-94 in particular, as well as the silenced Glocks. But they'll get hammered out before launch. Damage is spot-on when they're standing still, but a bit high with the sprint bug. Will get fixed.
    - Tanks are fucking awesome.
    - Helicopters are fucking awesome, but don't trust me to fly one, ever.
    - Jets are fucking awesome, but don't trust me to fly one, ever.
    - Jeeps are fucking awesome, and I will Dukes of Hazzard all of them for all time.
    - Spotting feels perfect. Not too hard, but still something worth doing 100% of the time. The rate at which the spot fades if you lose sight of them is very rapid, and wall-hacks with them (besides the ethereal rocks, which will also get hammered out) are non-existent.
    - Weapon unlocks were fast, and points were aplenty. This may be due to my playstyle moreso than the system itself, but I not once had a slow spot in a tree when playing. Fillin' dem bars.
    Cons:
    - Collisions are still a bit wonky, especially when in a tank. Getting stuck on trivial, tiny objects was something that would happen several times in a game. But you would learn to avoid them after a few games.
    - Platoons are too small. Take the stupidly low 100 people limit off.
    - Squads. They'll get fixed, but goddamn it was annoying.
    - Bloom for days. Too much.
    - Shotguns need to be changed. The 870 is fine, but has a few problems that are amplified due to its nature. I'll address those in the next bullet. But the semi-autos are all way too shitty. The only two shotguns even worth using are the USAS and 870, which are the last and first shotgun unlocks, respectively. All of the semi-autos shoot nearly as slowly as the 870 and are much less damaging and much less accurate.
    - Oftentimes, although I do not know the cause, as I fire a shotgun blast into someone and get hitmarkers, I'll die. Looking at their health in the killcam, they're at 100%. It's not some .010 millisecond thing; it's generally a full half a second or more. Shotguns are actually just not good at point-blank against anything, and going against the UMP or PP2K was a surefire way to get fucked.
    - Helicopters kill tanks too quickly. I understand that they're meant to counter tanks, but if you're in an Abrams and some jackoff in a Havoc can get even 10 of the cannon shells onto your turret, you die. A bit too much.

And as an addendum, to validate my claims-

finalbetascore.png

Rack 58... pfffffffffffft, noob.
    kjTKL.jpg

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Gimmie more of that sweet sweet LAV baby.

• Options
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    ^^amazing

• Options
    WE GETTIN ARAB MONEY

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Finally tried plugging in my 360 pad for jet control.

Feels absolutely perfect. Think I stayed in the air for the longest I ever have and I'm not much of a pilot. Only thing is Klyka and I couldn't figure out the afterburner button.

I totally agree, my PS3 as 360 controller is infinitely better than the keyboard controls, which were infinitely better than the keyboard and mouse controls. Im not entirely sure what all the buttons do though - I dont know how to spot (select opens the score screen, X and Square seem useless, Circle ejects, Triangle does god knows what, right bumper? no fucking clue) and Im not a complete fan of having guns be left bumper, but I'll live..
    rndmhero wrote:
    Edit: Also, which particular flavor of 560 are you using? I've always liked EVGA, but I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between this and this.

This one has a 3 year warranty, while this one has a lifetime.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Does anyone know when the beta ends today? I took the afternoon off because I need to go to the dentist, might be able to play some after that if the servers are still up.

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular

hahahahaha oh god, the infinite C4 glitch returns!

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Beta over, definately buying.

This discussion has been closed.