As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeland[sho] - She's not crazy, simply in love!

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I loved the finale, and the season. Maybe not as good as two and definitely not one, but Homeland is still the best TV currently running this side of Boardwalk and Mad Men.
    Brody's arc was over, and his death was done superbly well. Very emotional. Season 4 is wide open for possibilities, it's exciting and scary at the same time.

Also, shout out to the 3x12 promo for amazing use of the Mass Effect 3 theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B3SKcEHGI

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Soooo....
    I'm not convinced Brody is dead. Basically, the way they showed his hanging, his legs wouldn't have been held apart if he was actually dead. This could just be the show screwing up production since it was my doctor parents who noticed it....but I'm thinking that Brody didn't look conclusively dead enough. He was hung by the neck till "dead", not kicked off the gallows with his neck snapped.

I would not be surprised if it turns out he's alive in season 4 at some point.
    But how?!

It's not like the angry, vengeful mob was walking away when Carrie left; I mean, the widow was standing there watching him die, I don't think she will be happy if they take him down and resuscitate him.

There is no angle in which Dara Dahl, Javadi and Lockhart would risk so much to pull off some kind of crazy illusion in front of the angry people of Iran; too much risk and for them literally NOTHING to gain.
    If they cut him down after about a minute or two, dragged him out of sight and intubated + dealt with the crushed carotids, he could still be saved with movie-magic levels of not brain damage.

Basically by TV standards he didn't seem suitably dead, and I think you could argue Javadi might have arranged to not have him killed, on the idea that it's good leverage against the CIA agent who doubled him.
    Alex Gansa is giving post-finale interviews where he's flat-out saying/confirming he's dead. Granted, it's possible he's lying, but given how he's also saying in these interviews that there's nothing left to tell with Brody and "the character's shelf life had expired" (direct quote), it seems like it's over.

and also his contract is over

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    the future that this show is pointing to doesn't much interest me
    I for one would like to hear more about dara Dahl's crazy espionage cloak and daggers past

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    the future that this show is pointing to doesn't much interest me
    I for one would like to hear more about dara Dahl's crazy espionage cloak and daggers past

Yes, Dara Dal/Saul spin-off please.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I kind of liked this season when I started to think of it as a show about mental illness rather than a spy show. Carrie, Dana, Quinn and Brody all have various mental problems and deal with them in different ways. Except for Dana, it was interesting to see how they played out. Dana was just there and basically his whole family could have not shown up at all without any plot changes minus one scene. Edit: you know if they had shown and built up Dana's actual story instead of just the tail end of the aftermath, I probably wouldn't have wanted to fast forward through every Brody family scene.

I'm interested to see where they go with next season. They have a blank slate finally. Something they should have started season 3 with.

Invisible on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I kind of liked this season when I started to think of it as a show about mental illness rather than a spy show. Carrie, Dana, Quinn and Brody all have various mental problems and deal with them in different ways. Except for Dana, it was interesting to see how they played out. Dana was just there and basically his whole family could have not shown up at all without any plot changes minus one scene. Edit: you know if they had shown and built up Dana's actual story instead of just the tail end of the aftermath, I probably wouldn't have wanted to fast forward through every Brody family scene.

I'm interested to see where they go with next season. They have a blank slate finally. Something they should have started season 3 with.

I'm both interested and...scared? I think that could have been a perfectly satisfying series finale, and hopefully we don't later find ourselves wanting to treat it as one. I agree the Brody plotline overstayed its welcome, but on the other hand it was the center of the show. I went into the finale today not knowing there was a season four coming, and I assumed that was the series finale. That the ending was an epilogue. Until I popped in here to catch up, and...well interesting.

Any word if Patinkin is back next season? I think the show can go on without Lewis, but if it's just Danes left I'm not sure I'm interested.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Patinkin is still around next year.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So, James Rebhorn has passed. He played Frank Mathison, Carrie's father. He wasn't in the show a lot, but he was always a good character actor. Sorry to see him go, he was only 65.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    So, James Rebhorn has passed. He played Frank Mathison, Carrie's father. He wasn't in the show a lot, but he was always a good character actor. Sorry to see him go, he was only 65.

I'll always remember him as the guy who told the president about Area 51 in Independence Day.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Shit. Until I re-read the bolded, I thought you meant he passed on season 4. That's a bummer, I was always glad to see him pop up in things.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So...was the premiere any good? Thought the thread would have been revived by now.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Haha, I came here for the same reason. Not going to watch it unless I hear it doesn't suck.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I really enjoyed it as a new show with a completely new direction. The past matters in only so much as it defines the characters, but these characters are all in a new story, doing new things.

It was really dark at times. Like, there is one sequence of scenes (that actually did call back to the prior season) that got straight up uncomfortable to watch.

The main hook of this season is interesting though, and I am interested in seeing how it all plays out.

Also, gotta love Saul. And Quinn. They still make the show a blast to watch.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed it as a new show with a completely new direction. The past matters in only so much as it defines the characters, but these characters are all in a new story, doing new things.

Okay, good enough for me. Didn't even need to read the rest of your post, I'll give it a shot.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Latest episode:
    Man, I am glad they didn't do what I thought they were going to do there at the end.
    I guess I'm the only one still watching this?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    No, I'm watching. And that ending was just rough.
    The Pakistani Intelligence Service are almost cartoonishly evil the way things are playing out. Holy shit

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    The Pakistani Intelligence Service are almost cartoonishly evil the way things are playing out. Holy shit
    Yeah, honestly it's a bit much to me. Both the level of evil, competence and convolutedness. Especially that last plot in the latest episode seems too comic book villain-y. I was relieved they weren't doing the even dumber thing of having Brody still be alive, though!

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly it's a bit much to me. Both the level of evil, competence and convolutedness. Especially that last plot in the latest episode seems too comic book villain-y. I was relieved they weren't doing the even dumber thing of having Brody still be alive, though!
    I mean, if you are trying to destabilize America's foreign relations it is a fine tactic, essentially poisoning the CIA station chief, driving her psychotic, and then releasing her onto your city to see what fun shit will happen, all while feeding top level classified intelligence to the taliban/mujahideen leadership and exploiting the husband of the American Ambassador in your schemes.

It's almost too much. These asses have officially started a full-on war if these transgressions come to light.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I guess the caricature comic book portrayal of America's Enemies(tm) started last season with the problematic depiction of Iran. And then now we're doing Pakistan.

It's a shame, because for me a large part of the show's appeal was/is the reasonably grounded and "realistic" (well, who knows) depictions of intelligence work and the war on terror (Apart from obviously the whole will he, won't he thing with Brody in season 1).

I really hope the show isn't on its way to catching Showtime sickness and becoming sillier and sillier over time like Dexter. Not saying it's anywhere near that level, and I still enjoy but man, I feel there are some warning signs.

• Options
    I still think it's really good. Every moment with Saul is still some of the best stuff on TV right now, and Quinn is great.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    I still think it's really good. Every moment with Saul is still some of the best stuff on TV right now, and Quinn is great.

Oh for sure. If I didn't think it was good overall I'd be much less worried about the few warning signs and details I don't like.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to watch Sunday's episode yet, but I'm way more intrigued now that I've seen the last few comments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Man, that last scene was twisted.
    Killing the nephew and the Brody reveal saved two plots I was worried would drag down the show.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I am done with this show or interested in it again.
    Saul is still aliiiiive. I love Saul. I do. But give me a break. If this show was on HBO there would be brains splattered in the fountain and the game changed yet again. I get that Carrie betrayed him to keep him alive and that's the big focus here, but omfg Carrie

Secondly, the ISI seems to be almost ridiculously efficient and 100x better at spying than the CIA. It's supposed to be frustrating, I know, but come on. I hope there is a big reversal coming up because it's really straining belief that that ISI chick is in everyone's business

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    *wanders into empty thread, sits, lays out picnic*

Ok Homeland. You have my attention again.
    RPG explosions are fucking louuuuud when you're watching this show with earbuds.

I hope this season ends with that Tasneem getting beaten to death by an angry mob while Carrie makes jerking off motions at her

This is how you international spy, bitch

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    Yeah last night was crazy good. Best Season since S1.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    It's probably dangerous for me to be here (spoilers'n'all), but I'm only now watching S1 of Homeland... and after all the praise I'm surprised to find that I don't like it more than I do. It's not bad, but we're up to episode 6 or 7 (Carrie and Brodie's weekend in the cabin in the woods), and much of the time I find myself less than engaged. The moments when it's come to life most so far are the ones with the two of them together; when they're not, I tend to find Carrie less than enjoyable to watch, and while Monica Baccarin is beautiful to look at, I am rather lukewarm when it comes to her characters. Saul is cool, but the material he's given to work so less so - although I did enjoy his roadtrip with Blondie the Terrorist. Not sure at this point whether the series isn't firing on all cylinders yet or whether it's simply not for me.

Edit: And after saying that I'm not a big fan of Monica Baccarin, I strangely feel like apologising to Hakkekage. :P

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    It's probably dangerous for me to be here (spoilers'n'all), but I'm only now watching S1 of Homeland... and after all the praise I'm surprised to find that I don't like it more than I do. It's not bad, but we're up to episode 6 or 7 (Carrie and Brodie's weekend in the cabin in the woods), and much of the time I find myself less than engaged. The moments when it's come to life most so far are the ones with the two of them together; when they're not, I tend to find Carrie less than enjoyable to watch, and while Monica Baccarin is beautiful to look at, I am rather lukewarm when it comes to her characters. Saul is cool, but the material he's given to work so less so - although I did enjoy his roadtrip with Blondie the Terrorist. Not sure at this point whether the series isn't firing on all cylinders yet or whether it's simply not for me.

Edit: And after saying that I'm not a big fan of Monica Baccarin, I strangely feel like apologising to Hakkekage. :P

It's ok I haven't really liked her in anything other than Firefly and Serenity

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

It's ok I haven't really liked her in anything other than Firefly and Serenity

The problem is she's replaced by a lizard person in the first episode.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    *wanders into empty thread, sits, lays out picnic*

Ok Homeland. You have my attention again.
    RPG explosions are fucking louuuuud when you're watching this show with earbuds.

I hope this season ends with that Tasneem getting beaten to death by an angry mob while Carrie makes jerking off motions at her

This is how you international spy, bitch

I was NOT expecting that.
    There was a part of me that legit thought saul was going to kill the kid in order to get himself killed and ruin the exchange.

Really glad it didn't go down like that.

Also, only two RPG shots fired, intentionally missing their car, maybe? It seems weird that they hit every car but the one with the payload, even if it was only meant to be a diversion.

Either way, start of next week is going to be a bloodbath.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    FARAH NO

• Options
    Damn. They really knew you were expecting...
    ...some lucky turn to save her.

• Options
    This fucking show
    This season they have set up so many neat characters only to kill them dead... like, the body count is reaching / exceeding Game of Thrones tier.

Also, did you read this as the ambassador's husband being weak, or him getting a bargaining chip to use against her? God I hate that ass.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    This fucking show
    This season they have set up so many neat characters only to kill them dead... like, the body count is reaching / exceeding Game of Thrones tier.

Also, did you read this as the ambassador's husband being weak, or him getting a bargaining chip to use against her? God I hate that ass.
    Tasneem and Duck are still alive. They better not be alive 3 episodes from now. Or at least Duck better be sentenced to rot in a hole after a fair trial per his constitutional rights to due process under the law.

Tasneem must die though. "10 minutes". Fuck youuuuuu. Why general Sexy Pakistani didn't just tell her evil face to fuck off and make the call is obvious but he's also caught some of the contact contempt from me now.

Quinn going all Jack Bauer is why I'm watching now. More unbelievable Quinn Wrecks All Your Terrorist Shit single handedly plz

• Options
    Quinn is badass.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I'd be totally fine if this show became the Peter Quinn Show.

I feel like I've said that before.

• Options
    I was going to post something about him doing awkward sex scenes, but then I remembered he already did that! This season!

• Options
    I wasn't sure about this season, but I think I like the direction it has gone the last few episodes.

I hope they're able to pull off this
    Dar Adal as the big bad string puller without it coming across as outright villainous. Is he drawing both sides into a war with government backing?

• Options
    God damn I loved the drums in the credits.