As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like a Gloss - Slate's Row, Third (NSFRPG)

StiltsStilts Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
2years.png

Welcome to the Gloss thread! In here, a bunch of nerds create characters and play RPs created by other nerds. Right now we have a record-breaking six games going on at the same time, so you should find at least one that suits your tastes. They include:
Derelict-1.png

Derelict is a post-apocalyptic steampunk pirate adventure set on a desert planet that's obviously ripped off from Trigun, regardless of how much Speed Racer tries to hide it. It follows the adventures of a bunch of rough-and-tumble dudes just trying to survive in a world that constantly attempts to kill them.

In addition to in-character posts made in this thread, the players of Derelict meet once a week on instant messenger to have a live play session.

res.png

The year is 2560, and humanity has colonized the solar system. On the terraformed, paradise-world of Callisto, the Temple of the Harmonic Mind teaches a select group of dedicated humans to attune their minds and bodies to the patterns and rythms of the universe. The training is difficult, but once completed the monks can bend the fundamental elements of our world--earth, fire, water, and even the fabric of space--to their will. However, many teachers believe that one's talents can only be found in the heat of battle.

It's for this reason that a handful of students has been sent to Mars to shut down a small band of slavers. Their sesei believes victory is assured, but will they be able to work as a team and unlock their superhuman abilities? And, more importantly, will they be ready for what happens next?

SlateGray.png

A band of colorful characters wake up in the brig of an airship with no memory of who they are, where they're from or why anyone would bother to capture them. In the process of escaping their imprisonment, they learn they're all members of the Slate family, and that someone's been sending letters in red envelopes that make rather suspicious requests of certain powerful people and organizations. Hoping to find some answers (and a place to temporarily call home), the Slate siblings have teamed up with the Serpent Clan. With the Clan's influence and the Slates' skills, they both might find what they're looking for.

Assuming this dysfunctional family can get along.

GMed by DE?AD

Wanderer

In a fantasy world where magic and technology exist side by side, a group of adventures find themselves stuck with each other when a Geo-Drake attacks and obliterates the town they all happen to be visiting. With the help of mysterious spirits that protect them and boost their abilities, they manage to survive and temporarily defeat the Drake.

Now, surrounded by the charred ruins of a once prosperous town, all of them have the same question: what next?

GMed by DJP
Rules | Races | Classes | Glossary

Kingafire2.png

So here's the deal. A king has imprisoned you to test your skills. You made a good effort of getting out, so he recruited you for a very important mission: he lost his kingdom and he wants it back. And if you ever want your freedom again, you're going to help him get it back. Sound good?

No?

Well too bad, you don't have much a choice.

GMed by Dubh

Thing2.png

"When the wasp larva hatches, it rips a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then plunges into the spider's belly and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep it fresh. After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult, and tears open the spider's belly to get out. The wasp emerges from the nest to continue the life cycle."

Live. Feed. Breed. Die.

That was how you lived, for millions of years. One minute to the next, one meal to the next. A slave to your genetics and operant conditioning. Then, new verbs entered your life.

Think.

The Great Awakening opened a new world to you. A world of thought and cognition. Communication and cooperation. Extending your reach beyond the crude confines of your natural form.

Fear.

For once in your existence you understood the terrors of your reality. To awake, alive but paralyzed, in the den of a Tarantula-Hawk. To be caught fast and entangled in the web of a Black Widow. To stand face-to-face with the armored bulk of a Emperor Scorpion.

Fight.

But you are not without your defenses. The debilitating sting, the crushing claw, the disfiguring acid, the rending mandibles. These weapons are yours to wield in order to drive back the Death you now understand all too well.

This is the ArthroGenesis.

Hey, I wanna play too!

Hurray! We are always glad to have more new players. Each currently running game uses some variation of DE?AD's own currently-in-progress role-playing system, [%]. The system is designed for ease-of-use, and even if you've never played an RPG before, it should be very easy for you to pick up and understand. The current edition of the [%] Core Rules can be found on the Glossolalia wiki here. For the most part, though, as a player you don't actually need to know most of that stuff, as your GM will take care of the majority of it for you. The main thing you'll need to know is how to create a character.

How to create a character for Derelict
Come up with a cool idea for some kinda salty sailor. Then, give him or her three [Talents] and three [Flaws]. More importantly though, give the character a neat personality and backstory. The plot of Derelict is heavily driven by the characters, because Speed is too lazy to come up with his own plots it helps to foster a sense of collaborative storytelling. So having your character be interesting is far more important than specifying what they're good or bad at!

Your stat sheet should be formatted like:

[Character Name]
[Talent] [Talent] [Talent]
[Flaw] [Flaw] [Flaw]

Also, if you play Derelict you get to contribute to its worldbuilding! If you have a neat idea about how some part of this hideous Frankenstein of a setting should work, then post it! It will become "canon," presuming it doesn't contradict anything that someone's already come up with and pending Speed's approval.
How to create a character for Resonance
Ah, you missed out on your chance to get that last spot in Derelict huh? Tough break. Tough. Break. But that's alright, Resonance and Slate Gray are also cool. Especially since I run one of them.

Every player in Resonance takes on the role of a novice monk of the Temple of the Harmonic Mind. Because you have only started your journey, you haven't fully developed any skills yet. Your stat line should look like this:

[Group] [Character Name] 0
[??? (???)] [???] [???]
[I: Harmonic Mind Gi]

As the game progresses, Traits will be announced that any player can take and add to their statline. These traits are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of once you take them.

[??? (???)]] refers to your character's fighting style. In the parentheses goes the element that your character can manipulate through martial arts. After acquiring an element, I will determine an appropriate name to fill in the other set of ???, giving a label to the way you conduct yourself in battle.

The number next to your name represents your character's current Ki Points. You earn Ki Points from roleplaying like a boss, and can spend them to increase your chances on things.

The third line is your inventory, where important items your character owns are listed. Everyone starts with a Harmonic Mind Gi, which protects you from lethal damage. You can also start with any weapon you like, as long as it's martial-arty.
How to create a character for Slate Gray
Every player in Slate Gray plays the role of a member of the Slate family, each of which started out the adventure with a bad case of amnesa. As such, none of them remember what they're good at. Statlines in Slate Gray look like this:

[Character Name] 0 0 0
[???] [???] [???]
[I: ]

As you can see, Slate Gray uses a system very similar to Resonance's. The main difference is that instead of Ki Points, your character has three different colored points. You earn points of various colors for doing certain actions. Sometimes you even get crazy-colored points, like purple or something! Most of the better traits you can get in Slate Gray require certain point totals to unlock.
How to create a character for ArthroGenesis
Arthrogenesis is a one-shot game of horror, power, and strife. You will take on the role of Awakened Arthropods, struggling to survive in an exceptionally hostile world.

You will need a Species, this will work with your Instinct. When you use Instinct to increase your chance of success, you must act in accordance with your Species. If you choose a particularly small, or fragile, Species, you may opt to control a small, hive-minded swarm of these creatures.

You will need a Focus, this will work with your Stress. When you act in accordance with your Focus, you may use Stress more efficiently to accomplish your goals.

Examples:

Species: Mantodea
Focus: Stalker
A silent, patient, deadly assassin with grasping, grappling forelegs and fearsome jaws.

Species: Salticidae
Focus: Scout
A supernaturally aware explorer, with excellent vision, canny leaps and agile, intelligent movements.

Species: Dipthera (Larvae)
Focus: Healer
A small swarm of hungry maggots. Their razor-like tongues can rasp away necrotic or infected flesh, repair damaged chitin, and their saliva is a natural antibiotic.

Species: Culicidae (Swarm)
Focus: Vampiric
A large, bloodthirsty swarm. They envelop their prey and stab them with rapier-like probosces, bleeding them dry.

IKknkhU.gif
Stilts on

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the derelicte thread shall rise again

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    It is time.

For first page dubstep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj98u1IMthE

• Options
    I'm less sorry about that than I am about posting Stilts getting his butt handed to him.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Aw yiss, new avatar.

• Options
    I am the victor.

It is me.

• Options
    Huntera wrote:
    It is time.

For first page dubstep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj98u1IMthE

This is now the official theme song for Resonance.

You can all thank Huntera and my irrational love of Katy Perry.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I don't like resonance anymore

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Enh. I prefer the non-dubstep, featuring Kanye version.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ugh

prison break sounds like an Andrew Hussie mess

call it Pyrstrom Hold, for now

you know, the thing that headlines all of game posts

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    if you motherfuckers don't stop posting this dubstep bullshit I will crush you under a deluge of Adam Ant

• Options
    if you motherfuckers don't stop posting this dubstep bullshit I will crush you under a deluge of Adam Ant

Go ahead.

I like Adam Ant.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
  • Options
    Huntera wrote:

Go ahead.

I like Adam Ant.

Huntera Huntera

Huntera

High Five

• Options
    I can listen to any songs pretty much.

I have the least discerning musical taste ever, which is weird because I'm a self-described Audiophile.

• Options
    Huntera wrote:
    I can listen to any songs pretty much.

I have the least discerning musical taste ever, which is weird because I'm a self-described Audiophile.

Yeah I have very wide tastes

I have preferences but there it's pretty rare that I hear something that I out-and-out dislike

• Options
    contrarily, I hate most of the noises produced by people for the purposes of entertainment

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

[Marquis aka Da Biz] - 3 - Darkness
    Mechana: [Boombox] Focus Model
    Inventory: 600 atman
    The Musician (Boost: 3)(Rank 1)

Biz pushes Guy's beat up car, along with anybody who wants to ride in it down the road with SUPER ROBOT STRENGTH.

It's an interesting "life" being a Boom box Mechana. Not all rooftop parties, and bar mitzvahs. Sometimes it's hauling a bunch of instruments around. Sometimes it's making sure drugged-up lead singer does't stage dive out the penthouse window.

And sometimes? Sometimes it's helping push the tour Van to the next gig after you literally brought the house down.[color]

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i swear to god if you people keep posting dubstep i will spam this thread with music only I like

• Options
    anti it is going to be difficult to post music only you like because we have a lot of common taste

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    <3 neo

• Options
    It's just me posting Dubstep.

No one else listens to it because I am the only person who sees the true glory of it.

When you put something called Wubble Bass in something it makes me chuckle like a madman listening to it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    speed

i'm gonna post bad Devo

for the smartasses in the crowd, worse than Whip It

• Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    NeoToma wrote:

Biz pushes Guy's beat up car, along with anybody who wants to ride in it down the road with SUPER ROBOT STRENGTH.

It's an interesting "life" being a Boom box Mechana. Not all rooftop parties, and bar mitzvahs. Sometimes it's hauling a bunch of instruments around. Sometimes it's making sure drugged-up lead singer does't stage dive out the penthouse window.

And sometimes? Sometimes it's helping push the tour Van to the next gig after you literally brought the house down.[color]

+1 Merit

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    Also, I'm going to assume everyone is heading the same direction: to the North.

If I'm wrong, correct me. Still gonna post this here, though.

Once the burned hills were out of sight, the natural beauty of Sarasvati’s countryside becomes apparent once more. Smaller roads leading to farming settlements wind together into one large path through the normally treacherous forests. Easily wide enough across to allow for several car-sized vehicles side-by-side and lined with metal poles emitting soft yellow light, this was the Trade Road. To not use this path would mean facing the wilds of the forests, which was a dangerous enough prospect even factoring in the road’s monster repellant mechanisms.

Hours pass before the sun finally starts to rise again, overpowering the yellow glow from the poles with natural light. On both sides of the road, now revealed by the dawn, are several towering hills. The ground here looks flattened, as if someone had cut the Trade Road straight through the hills instead of bothering to build around them.

It’s also at this point that something becomes visible in the sky. Reflecting sunlight off golden armor and wings spread wide, giant birds circle above. Those with particularly good eyesight can make out that each has a person riding on its back.

It doesn’t long before a trio breaks off from the rest and swoop lower. As they pass overhead, their riders dismount and land on the ground with casual ease not reserved for 100 mph dismounts. The reason for that ease becomes obvious as the man at their head flaps his wings twice before they fold behind his back: Angelics.

Each is wearing the kind of super-shiny armor best associated with most Angelic technology, a style of sharp angles meant to offer as little wing resistance as possible while giving them plenty of sharp parts to stab into others. The man at the head of the group, dressed in armor far more elaborate than functional, steps closer. Wearing a golden helmet crested with an emblem of a pair of platinum wings, his head sweeps across those gathered before he speaks. “What a peculiar group I see before me,” he says. “A pair of Battle Maidens and Beasts alone is rather strange to see together, much less the rest of this ragtag band.”

He brings a hand to rest on the pommel of a gold-hilted sword resting at his side. “I am Principality Argos, Inquisitor of the Imperium. Considering your direction, you must have passed through the trade town of Yama recently. How fairs it?”

A faint tremor, a shiver from beings not used to possessing spines, rushes through the group. A flicker of imagery, of floating pedestals and grim masks, appears in their heads for a moment before it disappears.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Raziel - Earth
    Angelic Gunslinger
    Inventory: Dual Revolvers, Cowboy Hat, 1000 atma
    The Breaker [Boost: 3][Rank 1}

Raziel smirks.

"It's gone. Destroyed. A Geo-Drake was the cause."

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Darsa Krul - 3 - Earth
    Degu Bloodkin Bonecaster
    Inventory: Fetishes (various), Scrying Bones, 270 monies
    The Puppeteer(Boost: 4)(Rank 1)

"Ah, the one race more arrogant than man. My misery finds completion." The Bonecaster shambles past. "I've no wish to deal with your kind today, Putto."

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Principality Argos turns his attention towards Raziel and steps closer. Still clearly outside of sword-swinging distance, in case anyone was wondering. "A Drake? Really?"

Darsa's attempt to leave is interrupted as one of the other two Angelics steps into his path.

"Just a moment more of your time," Argos calls.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    Raziel - Earth
    Angelic Gunslinger

Raziel groans. "How else does an entire town become nothin' but burnt out rubble in less then a day? Hm, 'Inquisitor'?"

• Options
    Darsa Krul - 3 - Earth
    Degu Bloodkin Bonecaster

"Time is too precious to waste." Darsa stands to his full height. "Step aside."

• Options
    edited October 2011
    "We haven't checked your claims about it being burned down in the first place," he says, turning towards Raziel and, in the same motion, ignoring Darsa's order. "Besides, that was merely small talk. My real question is whether any of you have come into contact with or seen a strange colored cloud recently?"

His tone is quite conversational, at least as far as it could be considering half the group barely seem to register to him.

DJP3710 on
  • Options

Biz is silent which feels very odd. He usually lightly humming or bumpin something at a suitably low volume.

Not now though. Just uncomfortable silence.

• Options
    Raziel - Earth
    Angelic Gunslinger

"What's it to ya?"

• Options
    edited October 2011
    [Rimair] - 3
    [ Light ][(Human) (Valkyrie)]
    [The Knight][Boost: 3][Rank 1]
    [Inventory: Battle Frame, magitek railgun w/ bayonet, 5 magitek shells (2 fireburst, 2 ball lightning, 1 zeroscape), 1200 Atman]

Rimair glares at Darsa, then steps forward to meet the Inquisitor.

"I apologize for the rudeness of my traveling companion," she says. "My name is Rimair. Sister Azar and I came to Yama to take on a hunting contract for a Drake the mayor suspected would soon attack. Unfortunately, we did not have much time to prepare, as a Geo-Drake surfaced in the middle of town soon after our conversation with him. We managed to defeat it, but its breath was incredibly flammable, and the entire town was burned in the ensuing battle. As far as we know, we are the only survivors."

"As for the cloud, could you be any more specific? I am not entirely sure what you mean."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    He looks to Rimair first, tapping the pommel of his sword for a few seconds. "Indeed? It is a shame to hear that. We'll be sure to keep our eyes open if we happen to cross its path."

Raziel's reply, however, seems to catch his interest far more than the news of a town being destroyed. "That reaction tells me you've seen it. Where? When? Did you have any contact with it?"

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    No, Shabooty.

Bad.

• Options
    Raziel - Earth
    Angelic Gunslinger

"Nah, friend. Ain't seen nothin' like what you described. Just making your life as difficult as you're currently making ours. So, can we go now, friend?"

• Options
    there, problem solved

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    [Oaasuu]
    [ 2 Merit]Water ][Bloodkin Three-toed Sloth][Wood Whisperer]
    [Dusty brown robe, Walking stick, Pouch of seeds, Sturdy Clippers, 800 Atman]

"We are all very tired. We've spent all night on the road travelling away from that lost town. Please excuse our short tempers." Oaasuu says, giving a respectful nod. "If we see a cloud like what you describe, we'll be sure the angels get word."

These guys remind me of the winged dudes from Flash Gordon.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Darsa Krul - 3 - Earth
    Degu Bloodkin Bonecaster

"Move, pavo, or I shall use force."

This discussion has been closed.