As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me manage the Magnolias in my new backyard! (Composting?)

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just recently bought my first home with my wife! I'm still living surrounded by boxes but thanks to a drawn out closing and such I have also been surrounded by overgrown grass and judging by the capacity of the bags I filled with leaves something close to 200 or 250 gallons of dried old leaves from the two beautiful magnolia trees in my backyard. This is weeks worth of accumulation but I'm already thinking that this is going to be something of an issue since magnolia leaves are pretty big and the seed pods they drop can be almost as hard a peach pit. Mowing over the leaves and pods is one option but I'd rather not mess up my spiffy new lawnmower. I'm also not a fan of filling up bags upon bags of yard waste every week.

So that leaves composting. I have never really done this before and growing up as a kid the little pile my parents maintained in the back corner of the yard didn't have to contend with massive and frankly hard magnolia leaves that seem to turn into parchment rather than damp and eventually dirt like stuff. Are there any compost enthusiasts out there that have dealt with this stuff before? I'm not really keen on purchasing a chipper or something like that to shred these things since I already shelled out for other more practical lawn maintenance equipment.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on