Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cops Gone Wild: Corruption Meets Incompetence Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
A request to let a deputy's son off the hook for a speeding charge accidentally gets sent to the local newspaper :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2048134/Police-clerk-accidentally-sends-order-scrap-speeding-ticket-local-newspaper.html

You know, I don't know what offends me more - that she was trying to get the kid off because he was the son of a deputy, or the fact that she couldn't be bothered to be competent in her corruption.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
Spoiler:
«13456711

Posts

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Cop with moustache decides to not give pretty young girl in tank top a speeding ticket, News at 11.

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    "Paging doctor Thanatos, will doctor Thanatos come to the cops gone wild thread please".

    And with a name like doctor Thanatos, you know there is going to be only one perscription.

    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    If other people can get ticketed for that, relatives or friends of cops can get ticketed. And cops themselves even. This idea that cops are able to elevate people above the law is heinous.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My wife works in the city court of one of the cities we live near, and if either of us gets a speeding ticket from a county cop she can get rid of it with no problem. All she has to do is just ask the prosecutor to dismiss it and it's gone. Thing is, neither of us is an asshat and we don't speed, so we never get a speeding ticket anyway. She's gotten a couple of our friends' tickets dismissed. Honestly, anybody can get a speeding ticket dismissed if they just contest it. Most times when they meet with the prosecutor before going to trial they'll just dismiss it if you aren't being a pain in the ass, and at worst make you take a class instead of paying the full ticket.

    Joshmvii on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    You don't speed my ass. Everyone speeds, whether they do it intentionally or not.

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.

    So, it's okay that cops and their families can ignore the law when it's convenient for them? Because that's what you are arguing when you say it's "no big deal".

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    Guys, didn't you hear? Justin was made the arbiter of things being big deals or not last week. Thread's over.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Yes, it's perfectly okay for the law to not apply to everyone equally.

    In related news, JustinSane is, in fact, insane.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl Tulsa, OKRegistered User regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.

    Agreed. This is the same as having a lawyer for a father or a judge for a father that tries to get their son's speeding ticket expunged. There are plenty more cases of corruption in this world that are a much large issue than this minor distraction.

    mh7bxh.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.

    Agreed. This is the same as having a lawyer for a father or a judge for a father that tries to get their son's speeding ticket expunged. There are plenty more cases of corruption in this world that are a much large issue than this minor distraction.

    Here's the thing - it's the little cases that lead to the big ones.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Not really, not.

    A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket, this is not much worse than a retail employee using their discount to buy people stuff in my mind. I mean yea I agree that it shouldn't happen, but given the dozens of SWAT raids on the wrong house each year leading to so many innocent casualties, I'm having a hard time caring about speeding tickets.

    override367 on
    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.
    If this was the extent of the perks police officers got under the table, I wouldn't really care.

    But this is just the tip of the iceberg (ask any prostitute who's ever been arrested, for one example).

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    "It's not as bad so ignore it"? What the fuck kind of philosophy is that? In terms of prioritizing you would be correct, but if the smaller shit can be solved swifter, then just fucking solve it, there's no reason not to.

    Fucking enablers. What the hell is the matter with you people?

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
    PLA
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Not really, not.

    A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket, this is not much worse than a retail employee using their discount to buy people stuff in my mind. I mean yea I agree that it shouldn't happen, but given the dozens of SWAT raids on the wrong house each year leading to so many innocent casualties, I'm having a hard time caring about speeding tickets.

    Oh okay, how about the woman who killed a man with her car in California because she was fucking around on her phone changing music instead of focusing on driving, and because she was a friend of the judge she got away with a $700 fine and had the nerve to post on MySpace (when it was more relevant) that people need to care about her just as much as the dead man, if not care MORE than him?

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    If the people involved in this sort of thing were fired and prosecuted, we wouldn't see things like the BART shootings.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    In other words the idea is those who are suppose to be the enforcers of law are playing favorites at various levels. No, a speeding ticket isn't a big deal, but we call that an example. It still represents a larger issue.

    Jesus jumped-up Christ.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    If the people involved in this sort of thing were fired and prosecuted, we wouldn't see things like the BART shootings.

    That's more like it. Let me kiss you, Thanny.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Studies of Australian police officers have shown a correlation between years of service and a drop in the
    perceived seriousness of incidences such as potential conflicts of interest for officers and reasonable use of force. This study shows that recruits, particularly male recruits, acculturate within one year of service.17 The results of the study supports
    Sherman’s assertion that the ‘slippery slope’ of corruption is greased by the relatively small moral gaps between each act of corruption.18

    The slippery slope theory of police corruption has been well documented.
    http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/a467316feb212c4cca256cfb0013c1d2/$FILE/Research Report on Trends in Police Corruption.PDF

    This is just one research paper, there are plenty more. Also the movie Serpico.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote:
    Pfft, I know cops who gets their kids and wives off on tickets all the time. I never thought of it as a big deal. Oh no, you were 45 in a 35. Whatever.

    It is actually a pretty big deal. It may seem tame, but it's the first step in setting them above the law.

    No, it's really not a big deal whatsoever. It's a tiny deal made big by people who have nothing better to do with their time.

    Agreed. This is the same as having a lawyer for a father or a judge for a father that tries to get their son's speeding ticket expunged. There are plenty more cases of corruption in this world that are a much large issue than this minor distraction.

    Here's the thing - it's the little cases that lead to the big ones.

    Yea, I know! I once knew a guy, he started speeding one day. I told him not too, but he did anyway. Then a cop pulled him over a couple weeks later. But he didn't care because his dad was a fire chief, got him out of the ticket. Next thing you know he is ignoring red lights, because hey his dad can just get him out of the ticket. Soon enough he's mowing down pedestrians with his car, but of course his dad just gets him off the hook like all those other times. Speeding and getting people out of speeding tickets are slippery slopes. Heed these warnings.

    You are being rediculous. Yes, in a black and white world noone is above the law in any situation. But we don't live in that world. Nor would I ever want to be, because that would be even more of a police state than we currently live in. I like the thought that I could get out of a speeding ticket because my neighbor is a cop and I grill hot-dogs with him every couple weeks. It doesn't bother me that other people can get out of speeding tickets when I couldn't.

    And when there is smoke, there is not always fire. Just because this cop tried to get her friends son out of a speeding ticket does not mean she participates in racketeering. You are over-reacting to something very benign claiming it leads to the source of all cancer in the world.

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote:
    "Paging doctor Thanatos, will doctor Thanatos come to the cops gone wild thread please".

    And with a name like doctor Thanatos, you know there is going to be only one perscription.

    More cowbell?

  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User
    Going more than double the speed limit should not be something you can get "got out of". "Had a dick cop give you a bullshit fine" is a nice thing to be able to get out of.

    ceres wrote: »
    Skoal Cat is correct.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    And when there is smoke, there is not always fire. Just because this cop tried to get her friends son out of a speeding ticket does not mean she participates in racketeering. You are over-reacting to something very benign claiming it leads to the source of all cancer in the world.
    Technically, she's engaging in a criminal conspiracy.

    Also, one of my friends in college who drove like a bat out of hell just kept his dad's business card opposite his drivers license in his wallet; his dad was a detective.

    He had never been ticketed.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    I like the thought that I could get out of a speeding ticket because my neighbor is a cop and I grill hot-dogs with him every couple weeks. It doesn't bother me that other people can get out of speeding tickets when I couldn't.
    Then you are an extremely silly goose.

  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I think it's unfair that people related to a doctor can get medical advice without having to pay their copay or make an appointment. What the fuck kinda bullshit is that?

    Damoonmk22_zps42df557d.jpg
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
    Amazon Wishes
    Steam Wishlist
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    I think it's unfair that people related to a doctor can get medical advice without having to pay their copay or make an appointment. What the fuck kinda bullshit is that?

    ... If you cannot grasp the difference, you are a silly goose.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I charge my mother $120 every time she asks me to fix something on her computer or set up any technical device.

  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Speeding Tickets are not criminal offenses. They are moving violations. They are fines. Civil Infractions. That's all. They are getting their friends and familys out of fines, not criminal offenses.

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    I think it's unfair that people related to a doctor can get medical advice without having to pay their copay or make an appointment. What the fuck kinda bullshit is that?
    This would be more like getting your doctor to defraud Medicare to get you a free hospital stay.

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    If you have a cop friend who is willing to work security for you for free, that's fine, I don't have a problem with that, and that would be the analogous behavior to giving medical or computer advice.

  • DeebaserDeebaser Lead Frog Rammer Fake Board GamerRegistered User regular
    Have any of you ever been pulled over by a cop and given a warning?

    Did you righteously demand that you be ticketed because it was immoral for the officer to dole out special favors?

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Speeding Tickets are not criminal offenses. They are moving violations. They are fines. Civil Infractions. That's all. They are getting their friends and familys out of fines, not criminal offenses.

    "It's just an itty bitty bit of corruption, so it's nothing to worry about! "

    Do you realize how goosey you sound?

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Have any of you ever been pulled over by a cop and given a warning?

    Did you righteously demand that you be ticketed because it was immoral for the officer to dole out special favors?

    Wow. That poor strawman. He never saw it coming.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Have any of you ever been pulled over by a cop and given a warning?

    Did you righteously demand that you be ticketed because it was immoral for the officer to dole out special favors?
    I don't think it's fair when that happens, either, but no, it's never happened to me when I've been pulled over for actual offenses.

    And there's a difference between "I think I'll let this person off with a warning because they seem genuinely regretful/are just some poor teenager" versus "oh, this person is related to a cop, that means they're immune to the law."

    Not to mention there's a difference between just giving a warning, and getting an already-issued ticket dismissed.

  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Speeding Tickets are not criminal offenses. They are moving violations. They are fines. Civil Infractions. That's all. They are getting their friends and familys out of fines, not criminal offenses.

    The act of "getting a friend out of a civil infraction" through an act of conspiracy or bribery is a felony.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    I think it's unfair that people related to a doctor can get medical advice without having to pay their copay or make an appointment. What the fuck kinda bullshit is that?

    Is this a serious post?

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • DeebaserDeebaser Lead Frog Rammer Fake Board GamerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    http://www.theagitator.com/ should be in the OP of every cop thread.

    2ezikn6.jpg
«13456711
Sign In or Register to comment.