As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SE++ March!

Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinningis WinningRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
So SE++, I've been listening to a lot of music recently, and I've realized something.

Marching bands are great.

Whether it's the inspiring tones, or the energetic high stepping, nothing is as exciting as a marching band. Maybe I loved them so much because I dreamed of being a trombone player in one when I was a kid (another dream gone thanks to short arms).

But regardless of arm size, I think we all like marching bands!

Whether they're cheering a victory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkOkraJXK4
(The best college fight song ever, John Phillip Sousa said so)

Dressing up in silly yet awesome costumes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEV1hk_c51w

or getting run over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY&feature=fvst

They're always fun to watch!

Tell me about bands, SE++!

Butler For Life #1 on

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    for a second I was wondering what you were doing creating a march thread in october

but this makes more sense

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    oh look we can play an instrument and walk at the same time, look at us we are so cool snort snort snort

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    It doesn't seem to involve trombones or fight songs, but it is awesome, so it gets a pass.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I was in marching band for two years.

meh

YL9WnCY.png
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    march...madness?
    but that isn't until march!

I would buy marching band music if it was all instrumental versions of my favorite songs

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    All we have no is October Obliviousness

YL9WnCY.png
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    BACK OF THE BUS BANDITS

BACK OF THE BUS BANDITS!!!! LOOK AT MY DICK!!!!

easysig2.jpg
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    did the band folks show each other their dicks on the bus, too?
    I thought that was only the track team

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I don't remember that part of the band bus.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    BACK OF THE BUS BANDITS

BACK OF THE BUS BANDITS!!!! LOOK AT MY DICK!!!!

FRONT OF THE BUS SUCKS!

IT'S HOT/COLD ON THIS BUS TURN ON/OFF THE HEAT/AC.

I marched U.R.I. drumline for 2 years. Played drumset in pep band for 4. I miss playing in a drumline, I don't miss strapping on 40 pounds of quads and walking around dressed like a fool.

brDe918.jpg
    Walking around dressed like a fool comes with the territory.

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    @tommy2hands thread

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    for a second I was wondering what you were doing creating a march thread in october

Twin MindMelt was out of sync? :o

nevillexmassig1.png
    Baidol wrote:
    I don't remember that part of the band bus.

me either
    :(

nevillexmassig1.png
    CaptainK, too.

A high school band was on campus this weekend practicing. Three years after graduating college I had to restrain myself from yelling at the kids to stay on their damned platforms when moving backwards.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    That after school music video has reminded me of the Destination Unknown music video.... and also resulted in that song getting stuck in my head. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0yzURme_M

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    neville wrote:
    BugBoy wrote:

it's these tachyons/a disturbance in the force

• Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    I was in marching band for all of high school.

Then I went into drum corps for a year. So much better than marching band. It's so much more intense than marching band. For instance, instead of 2-3 hour rehearsals after school, you would have 8-12 hour rehearsals each day in the summer unless you had a show that night where you'd only practice for like 6 or 7 hours. I ended up losing 30 lbs from the middle of June to the 4th of July. By the end of tour I lost somewhere close to 40 pounds. The drumline always had it so much worse though :(

I marched with the Troopers in 2008 in DCI, Drum Corps International. Here's the closer of the show from a camera taped to the carrier of the center snare. I'm the tuba in the blue shorts and white stripe down the middle at 0:43-1:20 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPayMkj8do

PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
    BugBoy wrote:
    neville wrote:
    BugBoy wrote:

it's these tachyons/a disturbance in the force

A glitch in the matrix?

nevillexmassig1.png
    it is all of these things at once

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Chimera wrote:
    That after school music video has reminded me of the Destination Unknown music video.... and also resulted in that song getting stuck in my head. :/

[video]

Man I've been trying to remember this song for ages now. Thanks!

To contribute to the thread some, I was in marching band for all 4 years of high school. We got 2nd in the state competition a couple of times...one year we would have gotten 1st except one judge screwed us bad enough that they changed the judging rules the next year to prevent it from happening again. Man were we bitter about that.

Opty on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I was in marching band for all of high school.

Then I went into drum corps for a year. So much better than marching band. It's so much more intense than marching band. For instance, instead of 2-3 hour rehearsals after school, you would have 8-12 hour rehearsals each day in the summer unless you had a show that night where you'd only practice for like 6 or 7 hours. I ended up losing 30 lbs from the middle of June to the 4th of July. By the end of tour I lost somewhere close to 40 pounds. The drumline always had it so much worse though :(

I marched with the Troopers in 2008 in DCI, Drum Corps International. Here's the closer of the show from a camera taped to the carrier of the center snare. I'm the tuba in the blue shorts and white stripe down the middle at 0:43-1:20 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPayMkj8do

I played one of those tubazookas all through highschool

they are for real men

sousaphones are for sloppy vaginas

• Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    That is the most correct opinion one can have concerning bands, drum corps, and instruments in general.

PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The USC fight song (and their band) is terrible and should never be linked under any circumstances.

However, I do enjoy most things that the Stanford band has done, even if they aren't musically talented. And they've made "All Right Now" their de-facto fight song, which is never a bad thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IhLOYr5f_M

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Oh, and here is my high school band (back when I was in high school) doing a Lion King field show. It isn't the greatest thing but it was all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSXwXVHuupw

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    one time at band camp we were scheduled to do a march-through of this theme park with another band

everybody got into full wooly, itchy, hot-as-shit uniform, lined up, warmed up, ready to go, only to be told there's been a scheduling mixup and we can't move for another 45 minutes, during which everyone has to stay in formation in case minds are changed and we need to go, same thing also went for the other band lining up next to us

pretty soon people are reeling and bottles of water are being passed around with the kind of desperation usually reserved for dogs trapped in hot cars, when suddenly there's a loud thump and we all turn to see one of the other band's trumpet line is on the ground, and a hushed murmur went up:

"I hope he's dead"

thenews.jpg
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    I don't like marching bands for historic reasons.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    back of the bus is the throne and you all are my bitches

now we're gonna sing kreayshawn for the next half an hour

I hope for your sake you know the lyrics

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    we didn't have a school sponsored marching band

we had a school sponsored metal band

and during our last year they met up with 3-4 other school sponsored metal bands from the area and had a battle of the bands

our schools are better

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I would be behind this thread, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote:
    The USC fight song (and their band) is terrible and should never be linked under any circumstances.

However, the Stanford band aren't musically talented. And they've made "All Right Now" their de-facto fight song

mkc.png
  • thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    I spent four years in my high school's marching band. The first three years we had a tightly wound, music-stand-and-shoe-throwing dictator, and it was great. Then we got a 23 year old idiot who wanted everyone to be his friend. We weren't able to place respectably at all once he took over, and I spent the year trying to break him.

Then my college's band was far too insane for me, so I gave it up.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular