Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[League of Legends] Happy birthd-CAWCAWCAWCAWCAW

Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo FF69B4Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
LoLSkarnerBLOG--article_image.jpg

SKARNER SKARNER!
-SKAR SKAR! SKARNER SKAR.
-SKARNER SKAR SKARNER! SKAAAAAAR NER
-SKA SKARNER? SKARNER SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKA SKARNER!
-SKAR SKARNER

SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNERSKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKARNER SKARNER SKA SKA SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER

SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNERSKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKARNER SKARNER SKA SKA SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNERSKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKARNER SKARNER SKA SKA SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNERSKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKARNER SKARNER SKA SKA SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNERSKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKARNER SKARNER SKA SKA SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER.

SKA SKAR SKARNER:

SKARNER

1. SKARNER SKAR: SKAR SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR
SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER.

2. SKARNER SKAR SKAR: SKAR SKA
SKARNER SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR

3. SKARNER SKAR SKAR! SKAR SKAR
SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER

4. SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER
SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER

5. SKARNER SKA SKARNER!
SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER!

6. SKARNER
SKA SKA SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER SKAR SKARNER!

SKARNER
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

SKAR SKAR SKARNER SKAR
Spoiler:

SKAR SKARNER?
Spoiler:

Bobkins Flymo on
73zrBvC.png
Lord_Asmodeus

• Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo FF69B4 Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited October 2011
    20110412074027!League_of_Legends_logo.png
    LoLSkarnerBLOG--article_image.jpg

News and Such
    -Graves Patch preview
    -A new champion approaches! Meet Graves.
    -Xerath patch is out! Enjoy the notes
    -Are you level 30? Public Testing might be in your future!
    -Nine Tail Fox Preview

League of Legends (popularly known as LoL) is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) game. With lots of acronyms, in case you couldn't tell.

You play as a summoner that selects a champion to battle with and against other summoners and their respective champs. During games, your champion will level up, get gold for better equipment and hopefully destroy the enemy nexus. Outside of games, your summoner level will rise. This will unlock new runes to enhance champion stats, bestow mastery points for further champion customization and goodies like avatars. At max level you can then compete in ranked matches and/or judge player behavior in what is called the tribunal.

Learn you some Dominion:

New Player Guide

1. Make an account: NA EU (West) EU (Nordic & East)
    It is worth noting that referring new players has perks, so I would ask for a referral link in the thread rather than a vanilla account.

2. Download the client: Right here
    The official Mac client has been discontinued.

3. Play the tutorials! New User Guide
    The game can be a bit overwhelming, and I highly suggest you play the tutorials OR find someone willing to do a few vs. AI games with you.

4. Play vs. AI games with people.
    Preferably people you know or from here. The bots aren't bad, but they have exploitable flaws and won't emulate the "real deal" perfectly. Focus less on the opposition and more on getting a feel for the various champions and the general flow of game.

5. Play vs. People
    Do it, damn you. As said above, the AI is not going to give you the legitimate LoL experience. You don't want to hit your 20s solely from bot matches.

6. Get yer free champs.
    Subscribe to Riot's Youtube and get a free Alistar skin! Includes the champion! Free Tristana if you're into the Facebook thing. Promo skins always include the champion if you never bought it.

The Dos and Don'ts of LoL

Meta Stuff
    Spoiler:

Game Stuff
    Spoiler:

Meet the Team

Like any group activity, stuff is usually broken down into roles. It's worth noting that champions don't always fit neatly in categories. A champion's role in the team may depend on what build has been chosen, and sometimes you may fill several roles depending on the group composition. When picking champions, it's a good idea to see what people are doing and fill in any holes.

1. The Carry: If your team is a car, then the carry is the engine. It's what makes the team function. The carry, when doing its job, will be able to easily destroy the whole team. But, just like an engine is useless without any other parts of your car, the carry relies on its team to get the gold necessary to buy the items needed to kill swathes of enemies. Early on, carries tend to be more vulnerable and weaker than other champs. LOTS of people pick carry in random, because it's the star character that generally gets all the kills.

2. The Tank: Following the car metaphor, the tank is your steering. It'll guide the team into battle, and in many cases will be the one starting the fights. Tanks are there to absorb damage and lock down the most dangerous champions on the enemy team so you can position yourselves to win the fight. Some tanks do this with CC, whereas other tanks have some damage and will soften up the enemy team instead. Tanks still tend to need the rest of their team to back them up.

3. The Support: I guess support are your tires or something? Maybe the AC. Either, support help the team out with buffs and generally shields or healing. Healers tend to assist the carry by allowing the carry to stay in the lane longer through said healing or shields. Unlike, well, just about everyone else, Support don't rely so much on gear and thus will purposefully AVOID getting last hits so that their lane partner can farm gold faster. Because of their reduced need of gold, support should also be buying and placing wards when needed. It's worth noting that EVERYONE should generally buy wards, but as a support you can afford to take the financial hit. FEW people pick support in random due to how hard it is to influence games. You have to be very proactive to make up for bad teammates as a carry.

4. The Jungler: Jungling is a more advanced concept, and you won't see it until higher summoner levels. This is due to runes and masteries allowing for more efficient jungling. It is still possible on a few champs, even at Summoner Level 1, but very uncommon. As the name implies, the jungler sits in the jungle and kills neutral creeps. This benefits your team by creating a second solo lane (top lane), resulting in more experience and gold for your team as a whole. Once the jungler hits a certain gear/level point, they look for opportunities to gank enemies. This is generally done via strong CC abilities, such as Warwick's ultimate or Nunu's slow coupled with his speed buff. Skills such as these will enable the jungler's teammate in that lane to easily assist with the kill. When not ganking, the jungler will return to the jungle regularly to keep up in terms of gold and experience. Due to their roaming, the jungler has plenty of opportunities to place wards for its teammates.

This is a very simple guide! There are other roles in teams, but this is a rough outline of the basics. Roles can easily overlap, and a champion can fill more than one role! Experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

Useful Stuff

Websites!
    Spoiler:

Stuff You Should Know
    -Yes, a promo skin will unlock that champion for free.
    -Promo skin codes generally work twice: once in both regions (NA and EU). If you have used a code for yourself, don't toss it out! Make a post here and give it away or swap it for another skin.
    -Speaking of promo skins, Free Tristana if you're willing to whore yourself out a bit.
    --Subscribe to Riot's Youtube and get a free Alistar skin!
    -Never take Revive or Rally, goddamn it.
    -Buy Wards
    -When in doubt, take Flash

A useful list of terms used in game, courtesy of Cantido.
    Spoiler:

Have you scored a penta?
    Spoiler:

Bobkins Flymo on
    73zrBvC.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    IT'S JUST LIKE ONE OF MY MONSTER CATCHING GAMES

camo_sig.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    skarner

XBL: ecksys | LoL: deyur | Path of Exile: deyur | Check out our Kiwi games podcast
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    This OP may be the best one yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin Reimu Hakurei sat in her shrine because she was on the internet. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Speaking of Skarner, the worst part of playing after this IEM day will be to explain to whoever on my team that no, Katarina isn't finally viable just because scarra played her in a tournament and in fact Dignitas got curbstomped that game.

edit: Also FREE ALISTAR is missing from the OP. Or at least it's not with Free Tristana.

Dac Vin on
    camo_sig.png
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    3 point victory Dominion game followed by a 10 point victory Dominion game.
    What the hell? I don't need this adrenaline.

// FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Ezreal is a pokemon trainer

He has fancy pokeballs.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    That's a lot of Skarner's in the bush.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    who is this skarner fellow

• ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Not being sarcastic, but is there another kind of Akali? The only ones I don't see building Gunblade & Triforce are the ones that don't get that far.

I've been rocking (lololololol) Junglephite. Wriggles->Tabi->Tiamat->Randuins/FoN->Frozen Mallet is just so much fun. Duck out of a team fight at 20% health and mana, go get Blue, come back at 3/4s with my Ulti off CD and full mana to double kill at our turret.

Yes, Gunblade akali is actually pretty meh. It's basically a stopgap measure for the people too cheap to build a proper akali runepage. Since those poor bastards will need some sort of AD item kicking around to trigger her passive, they may as well get a gunblade. Because AP causes her damage to scale wildly more than AD does, there is really no reason to build one normally if you aren't already having to waste an item slot on an AD item. Rylais and lichbane are core, from there you get a rabadons if you need to murder faster, void staff if the enemy is stacking mr or GA if you need defenses (fun fact, lichbane + GA + merc treads + shroud = 200 armor and mr). A revolver is totally fine if you are in need of extra sustain in lane, but upgradint it to WotA or gunblade is pretty low on the list of priorities.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited October 2011
    no. everyone builds gunblade on akali because it's really good on akali in all situations. and no one really builds triforce on her because lichbane is more damage.

Jars on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So just discovered that Malz is fun as hell... I even outlaned vayne mid. I usually have to be more careful with her on other champs. Malz doesn't give any fucks post lv 3.

also pool/suppressing people who try to dive your tower is hilarious.

steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    no. everyone builds gunblade on akali because it's really good on akali in all situations. and no one really builds triforce on her because lichbane is more damage.

Not really. It's 3700 gold for a nice on use, vaguely useful spellvamp (the revolver will be useful while you build the thing anyway), 80 ap, and then more or less completely wasted ad and lifesteal. It is an acceptable item to build eventually but anyone who rushes it is more or less a bad akali.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:
    Carnarvon wrote:
    Not being sarcastic, but is there another kind of Akali? The only ones I don't see building Gunblade & Triforce are the ones that don't get that far.

I've been rocking (lololololol) Junglephite. Wriggles->Tabi->Tiamat->Randuins/FoN->Frozen Mallet is just so much fun. Duck out of a team fight at 20% health and mana, go get Blue, come back at 3/4s with my Ulti off CD and full mana to double kill at our turret.

Yes, Gunblade akali is actually pretty meh. It's basically a stopgap measure for the people too cheap to build a proper akali runepage. Since those poor bastards will need some sort of AD item kicking around to trigger her passive, they may as well get a gunblade. Because AP causes her damage to scale wildly more than AD does, there is really no reason to build one normally if you aren't already having to waste an item slot on an AD item. Rylais and lichbane are core, from there you get a rabadons if you need to murder faster, void staff if the enemy is stacking mr or GA if you need defenses (fun fact, lichbane + GA + merc treads + shroud = 200 armor and mr). A revolver is totally fine if you are in need of extra sustain in lane, but upgradint it to WotA or gunblade is pretty low on the list of priorities.

Ahh, nifty. I don't actually play Akali (Jax fo' lief), but that's good to know.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds is pumped-up. Registered User regular
    Arkady, I will disagree with you to the death. You might like AP Akali best, but I found my love of Hybrid Akali months ago and it's never let me down.
    AP does more burst for sure, no disagreeing. Hybrid has more sustained damage, more healing sustain, and kills/pushes minions/towers faster, changes the 1v1 matchups, and I feel is far more versatile.

// FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Frankly the first post explains everything better than the second one.

RGqiDzM.png
  • CutfangCutfang Registered User regular
    I had one strange ranked game. Their Skarner kicked the shit out of our Renekton in the top lane and went some 8/1/6. Meanwhile I got a crapton of kills and gold as support Taric while our Vayne was outfarmed.

But... I discovered the mighty secret combo to winning every teamfight! Cast Shurelias to zoom your Karthus into their team, and then cast Randuins Omen. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. I also gave him +100 ability power from auras.

Dancing Bagel
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Ok I'm liking Kass:
    Spoiler:

Our main problem as a team seems to be that we get pushed so hard in early game and then we just have crazy comebacks. Advice on how to improve early game would be greatly appreciated...

R6ptMQk.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So, after discussion in the last thread I decided to give Yorick a try. Actually playing him is a lot more engaging than I thought it was from watching other people with him. I've been surprised by how much burst he has even with Manamune as his only damage item. I think I shall buy him!

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | LoL: Karulytic
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I have done that as Taric before, though the enemy team was horribad. I think I went something along the lines of 8/1/11 while the rest of my team was under 5 kills.

Shurelya's plus Ghost, speed boost, and Boots 5 on Ghost Taric is hilarious in Dom.

Cutfang wrote:
    I had one strange ranked game. Their Skarner kicked the shit out of our Renekton in the top lane and went some 8/1/6. Meanwhile I got a crapton of kills and gold as support Taric while our Vayne was outfarmed.

But... I discovered the mighty secret combo to winning every teamfight! Cast Shurelias to zoom your Karthus into their team, and then cast Randuins Omen. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. I also gave him +100 ability power from auras.

This is basically my Malphite strategy, and I think it will become my Galio strategy.

camo_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    (Repost from the old thread)

So I just had a Fiddlesticks run in to the top brush pre-minion get ganked by the two (completely obvious) champs waiting there (Viegar and Xerath), then scream at me, because apparently I was supposed to "tank" for him in Katarina.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
    the spell vamp is what makes akali so effective. 40% spell vamp from one item? you are now eve and heal 500 health every time you kill someone. the 600 combine cost on gunblade gives you something like 2500g worth of stats. it's not even about hybrid akali because it's core on ap akali too which is what 99% of people play.

• RiusRius Registered User regular
    So, Sona.

Finally got around to playing a game as her; I don't think I should be surprised that I think she's at least as (if not more) effective than Soraka. Useful Auras, rapid low strength heals, damned useful Ult.

But fuck me if she isn't boring. Level everything up, grab Randuins + Shurelia's out of your starting GP/10 items, grab Blue, get into teamfight, spam QWE QWE QWE QWE, wait for a good time to hit R.

Like, it works, hell yes it works, but I did not find it entertaining.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    sona gets fun and requires you to pay a little more attention if you want to get really good with proper usage of your power chords. a well-timed Tempo proc can absolutely swing a fight in your favor or secure a picked-off carry that's out of position or etc.

at the core though she's still QWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWE

edited October 2011

Still relevant.

Dac Vin on
    camo_sig.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Cutfang wrote:

The only place a Karthus should ever be. If your Karthus is not standing on several people's heads, he's doing it wrong. Sounds like an awesome combo, gonna have to dig up someone to try it with.

EDIT: And the op is made of win.

MrGrimoire on
  • ImperfectImperfect Registered User regular
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. gank so hard motherfuckers wanna find meRegistered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote:
    Speaking of Skarner, the worst part of playing after this IEM day will be to explain to whoever on my team that no, Katarina isn't finally viable just because scarra played her in a tournament and in fact Dignitas got curbstomped that game.

edit: Also FREE ALISTAR is missing from the OP. Or at least it's not with Free Tristana.
    it's true!
    Spoiler:

rD3e3HS.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury *~ Have a Magical day ~* Purveyor of Pixelly PalsRegistered User regular
    Viable champs schmiable schamps. Play whoever you feel like playing, man. just have fun, winning isn't everything.

MVZBm5i.pngzd1yxOn.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Registered User regular
    People who love a champ are generally going to kick ass with it. Competent Eve's are never fun...

• nealcmnealcm Registered User regular
    lock in as random

stack gunblades

have fun!!!

19ZUtIw.png
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Lol1.png
    Dat flash/ignite.

R6ptMQk.png
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    zen very nearly picked eve mid

i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
    Viable champs schmiable schamps. Play whoever you feel like playing, man. just have fun, winning isn't everything.

Hell, I play a fucking NASTY Twitch. Because everything works at my Elo.

camo_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I had a wonderful game as Riven earlier, have the replay too. Friend is learning Lee Sin, and we get a few kills bot lane and he goes off to jungle. I proceed to get more 2v1 kills against Wukong and Ezreal and by the time I'm 11 Ezreal is still level 6. 6! I'm so fed compared to everyone else I can run into their base and chase people fleeing, get a kill and run off.

• DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote:

Hell, I play a fucking NASTY Twitch. Because everything works at my Elo.

Twitch is my favourite AD carry. <3

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Riven is such a beast. I'm kind of getting that old school Shen vibe from her.

Not the split push then teleport into a teamfight thing; I mean the part where I am definitely getting some early kills and from then on strait not give a fuck as I towerdive past 3 turrets in order to kill the fleeing carry and then getting away thing.

RGqiDzM.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm really digging Xerath. Bought him on a whim and have had a good time playing him. I think he's replacing Veigar as my primary ranged AP character. I have found siege mode to be a bit underwhelming, but the stun + arcane blast combo is nasty, especially if you have a group CC around, like Amumu.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh
This discussion has been closed.