As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Sentry!

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    Hey Sentry,

Sorry this has taken so long, but now that I'm finally home I can take stock of my shits and see what I have.

Basically, I really like crazy indy comics. Not so much the Fantagraphics, Love and Rockets stuff, more the Corey Lewis, Brandon Graham, things.

Favorite writers: Fraction, Brubaker, Ellis, Morrison, Spencer, Hickman
    Here's a short list of shit I've got:

Sandman
    Y: The Last Man
    Hellboy
    Starman
    Gotham Central
    Ex Machina
    Morrison's Doom Patrol
    Invisibles
    Animal Man
    Planetary
    Transmetropolitan
    Promethea
    Pretty much everything by Paul Pope
    Fables
    Locke and Key
    Casanova
    Hickman's indy stuff.
    Scott Pilgrim
    DMZ
    Northlanders
    100 Bullets

I've also been out of buying Marvel stuff for a while, so anything from the past few years that you've enjoyed from them would be awesome. Here's a wishlist to get ideas. Doesn't mean you have to get me something from here. I'd just like to receive a comic you've genuinely enjoyed that you don't think I have!

http://amzn.com/w/3CJOX939GJFMV

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Alright, Sentry...ee. (?) Your gift should be arriving early next week at the latest! What I got you is on my personal list of favorites, so when I saw it on your list, I knew it had to be my gift. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Looks like my gift was delivered, did anyone provide their parent's address? Just want to be sure that in case there were delivery issues I can reship or reconcile with Amazon.

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    OMG thanks futt bucker sorry I haven't been able to post till now.
    I've been wanting to read joe the barbarian for a while now and I've been reading chew since it started but It's nice to have the books

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I think there was a mix up...

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Uh, I got you the LXG omni...

Someone light the Sentry signal?

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Yeah that was supposed to be for you FB, I think he gave me your Sentry's address.

• Options
    Secret SentrySecret Sentry Registered User regular
    Yeah I think that came from me trying to fit the last few people in and duplicating the wrong address

My mistake

Grim123 could you please send on Cardboard's present to Futt Bucker? I have PMed you his details, and I think with that done we have sorted everything out.

29dzdkp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lol guess I got double gifted I'll forward your presents onto you soon FB.
    Ps I may read joe the barbarian first. :p

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They are totally awesome, well, I thought I did a good job haha.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I received my gift this afternoon!

Gank was streets ahead and got me:
    - the first three Locke and Key trades (these are literally some heavy trades, it's some super duper paper stock compared to Marvel and DC)
    - SHIELD: Architects of Tomorrow

I really appreciate it Gank, you are the best. May Superman bless you forever.

tumblr_lrnrinDEva1qav8hm.gif

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Woo Texi got some locke and key!, can't wait to hear you spill after you read them!

edit: also , shouldn't Sentry bless them forever this year? /grin

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    You are most welcome! Any time I have an excuse to get someone Locke & Key, they are gettin' some Locke & Key!

Oh, and I also received my gift today! Well, it arrived yesterday, but I'm lazy in checking my e-mail. Got a sweet ass digital subscription to Marvel comics, time to catch up on all the classic runs I've heard so much about, Simonson Thor, Bendis Daredevil, etc.

But I don't know who, specifically, to thank! So thank you Secret Sentry, may your Christmas be MIGHTY!

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    You're welcome! And a mighty one to you too, Gank. <3

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    going shopping for my sentry today!

• Options
    Secret SentrySecret Sentry Registered User regular
    grim123 wrote:

Thanks, I really appreciate that grim123. Again, sorry for the mix-up at my end.

29dzdkp.jpg
  • Options
    To my Sentry: Just in case you haven't bought/sent my gift yet - don't buy me either of the Brubaker Captain America omnibuses on my wishlist, I just snagged them from the current Thwipster sale today.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Just sent out the books. Sorry for not doing it sooner. I've been sitting at home unemployed and totally forgot that I needed to send them out. Should be there in a couple of days with Amazon Prime.

• Options
    Dear Sentry-ee: I just had to order a new debit card because my old one had developed a crack which was in danger of splitting it in two. Even though I placed the order for your books while still using my old card before I had received and activated the new one, Amazon has for some reason decided to be total dicks about it and cancelled the order. SO. I am ordering your stuff, again, as we speak. They should still get there by Christmas with my Amazon Prime 2-day shipping or I'll know the reason why.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    grim123 wrote:

Thanks, I really appreciate that grim123. Again, sorry for the mix-up at my end.
    ok gift forwarded with a couple of extras
    I santa'd my sentry as well but stupid amazon split it into two shipments.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to check in and say that I'm in the process of assembling my gift recipient's present. Think of it as a festive Frankenstein's monster: some parts I can buy in a store, some parts I need to have shipped over from elsewhere, some parts I can take off of the bodies of villagers that I lure into my castle and then kill.

Unfortunately, you won't receive it before Christmas. I'm sorry! I will ship it out as soon as I possibly can.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Now that my bills are all paid I have sent off my Sentry's gifts! My broke ass necessitated a slower shipping speed, so the gifts will be arriving a few days after Christmas. So bonus gifts for you, you lucky sunnova gun!

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Got my package this afternoon! The contents: a double dose of Mike Mignola with Baltimore and The Amazing Screw-On Head, plus The Sixth Gun TPB and the Warren Ellis T-Bolts Ultimate collection! A very diverse assortment, and all things I've been meaning to read for a while! In fact, I now have a hefty backlog of GNs to read, starting with about half of the Simonson Thor omnibus I got as a birthday gift back in August. Good problems!

A big thanks to my Secret Sentry, @emutheelf! Your forum handle certainly becomes appropriate this time of year.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I haven't received my gift yet and I'm flying to the in-laws' place tomorrow. So I'll have to check my courier service tomorrow before I leave. If it's not there already, I'll be back on the 28th and hopefully will have it before the new year.

• Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    Glad you like my selections, Gaslight. Let me know how The Sixth Gun is, it's something I've been tempted to pick up for myself but just haven't as of yet. Enjoy!

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    emutheelf wrote:
    Glad you like my selections, Gaslight. Let me know how The Sixth Gun is, it's something I've been tempted to pick up for myself but just haven't as of yet. Enjoy!

lol

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    emutheelf wrote:

Buy it. Buy it RIGHT. NOW.

I'm not even joking. I was going to mail my friend my two trades just to whet his appetite for when Vol.3 comes out (IN MARCH! ARRRRRRGH!), but I already sent him and his wife four boxes of shit for Christmas. So I figured I will wait.

BUT

If you want it. Really. I will mail mine (either one or both) to you on the condition that if you like it, you will promise (honor code) to buy your own somehow. Trades. Floppies. Digital. Just buy it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    emutheelf wrote:

I'm not even joking. I was going to mail my friend my two trades just to whet his appetite for when Vol.3 comes out (IN MARCH! ARRRRRRGH!), but I already sent him and his wife four boxes of shit for Christmas. So I figured I will wait.

BUT

If you want it. Really. I will mail mine (either one or both) to you on the condition that if you like it, you will promise (honor code) to buy your own somehow. Trades. Floppies. Digital. Just buy it.
    s
    "Slaps crimsondude up side the head"
    quite you

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    emutheelf wrote:

BUT

It's that good, huh? What other series would (could) you compare it to?

Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    emutheelf wrote:
    emutheelf wrote:

BUT

It's that good, huh? What other series would (could) you compare it to?

If you like Weird West-type stuff, you'll really dig it. It's like a...mm...well, it's hard to describe. I've only read the first trade so far, but the art is great and it's just a fun little supernatural horror adventure thing. I can't really think of anything to compare it to off the top of my head. Han Solo meets Supernatural on the set of Two Mules for Sister Sara;

newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Dearest Dan M.

Thank you for the Iron Fist books, I've wanted to read them for soooo long. Figures I am home sick, what a wonderful gift today!

• Options
    Dearest Dan M.

Thank you for the Iron Fist books, I've wanted to read them for soooo long. Figures I am home sick, what a wonderful gift today!

You're quite welcome. I just recently reread them myself. I've never gotten around to reading the TPBs from after Fraction left the book (TPB #4 on), but that whole first story arc is a favorite of mine.

• Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    ?! Holy crap, I got Sentry'd!

The Complete Persepolis, Asterios Polyp, and Pride of Baghdad! Oh man, perfect gifts. I'm super pumped to tear into Pride of Baghdad, plus, how'd you know I lost my copy of Asterios Polyp? Get out of my mind grapes!

Thanks so much, Timothy! You're super rad!

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Nice haul.

I was thinking about The Sixth Gun and I thought, "It's like Journey Into Mystery if Loki was a gunfighter." That may not be true, but it sounds cool.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote:
    Dearest Dan M.

You're quite welcome. I just recently reread them myself. I've never gotten around to reading the TPBs from after Fraction left the book (TPB #4 on), but that whole first story arc is a favorite of mine.

Seriously, been sick for two days now, and this made the day so much better! Thanks again!

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    The first issue is free on Comixology, and 2-5 are only $0.99 until the end of the month. That's the first trade for $5, which is a pretty good deal, imo.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I just got my present package from Texiken! He sent me a massive package of stuff that warmed my poor, student heart with Christmas Cheer. the Trades for New Invaders, Punisher vs The Marvel Universe, Waid's Ka-Zar, and Hardback copies of Punisher: Dark Reign, Punisher: Dead end, Batman: The Black Mirror and Batman: Private Casebook.

Not only that, but he send me a whole bunch of singles for Force Works and Superman from what I guess must be his personal collection, which I look forward greatly to reading. I'll hopefully get some pics up soon.

Thanks Tex! You're a fucking legend! Merry Christmas man!

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, I am touched by your generosity Tex. Thank you so much. As I type I am sipping tea and reading New Invaders on my sofa, the whole stack of comics next to me, ready for an afternoon of reading.

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm glad it got to you in one piece, I was wondering how long it was going to take to travel across the ocean.

• Options
    Well usually in my experience it takes about a week to cross the Atlantis and get delivered. If it took longer there have been public sector strikes here for a while now (pay, pensions and so on) and the postal workers have been involved in that so it likely got to a British post depot and then sat there for a while because the workers were on strike.