As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are your fears, SE++? (no pictures of what people talk about)

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    gorilla born

gorilla grow

gorilla die

along with the phrases "no choice" and "you someday"

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh yeah
    I am in constant fear for my parents
    Because my mom is becoming more and more of an invalid every year from arthritis and asthma
    And my dad makes incredibly poor financial decisions, never saves or plans what do to with his money so they are always one step away from catastrophe

And both of them are resigned to their fate getting worse and worse
    An refuse to do anything to help themselves and are convinced they are going to die soon even though they are both only about sixty

So that causes some anxiety

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I don't remember the first time I learned about death, but I do remember the first time I stared down the barrel of a gun

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My internet just got kicked out for about a half hour due to some weather going by. It made me really anxious.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've helped carry the casket and still have never cried over a dead relative. It's like I care more about people that didn't have an in through lineage.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I am terrified of the possibility of dropping newborns. I silently freak out whenever someone asks me if I'd like to hold their kid.

I recently gained a nephew though, so I'm forcing myself to face this fear.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't remember the first time I learned about death, but I do remember the first time I stared down the barrel of a gun

I do!

I freaked the fuck out and had a mini panic attack while we were on vacation at a beach house. My brother + some friends thought I was afraid of the dark (hint: they are dumb).

That was also the trip I got all 120 emblem things in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Coincidence?

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I can't even begin to recall when I was first aware of my mortality
    I feel like it's a knowledge I've had almost forever

I can't recall any sort of questioning of my parents on the matter, or any occasion on which they had to sit down and explain it

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    sometimes I find it more curious that everyone isn't terrified of the ocean.

I went kayaking once as a little girl on a class field-trip. We get swept up in a current and were separated from everyone else, we couldn't see land. I could not swim. The instructors had to come rescue us.

FUCK THE OCEAN.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    When my dad hit me with his truck

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    when i nearly drowned at the age of eight

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Yeah I never had a moment where I suddenly became aware of mortality. For sure I know I knew the concept by 5 because we had a cat who had a litter of kittens and I distinctly remember staying up the night to be there with her to make sure the kittens wouldn't die on her lazy watch. I also read a lot of nonfiction (I was a weird child) and the majority of the people I read about where long dead.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Actually it was probably when I was about four and the voice from the sky told me I was the avatar of Shiva

• Options
    guys get on tinychat to talk about our fears

I fear you wont be there :(

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I fear you're about to be disappointed.

• Options
    I also fear that tomorrow the breakfast food will be shit because I am starving and I cant make noise to make food because my roomie is right conked out.

Oh, here is a real fear: I do not smell flowers because there are always bugs beneath the petals. So don't smell flowers.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I also fear that tomorrow the breakfast food will be shit because I am starving and I cant make noise to make food because my roomie is right conked out.
    just eat her instead

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I fear being eaten in my sleep.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I am afeared of letting the depressions ruin my life

it's pretty lame

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm afraid of fear itself.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Stig has the fear fear.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Fears:

Disfigurement, ughh
    Medical shows (they make me anxious and start crying so I just stopped watching them)
    Little dogs unexpectedly yapping
    Pregnancy

Making the wrong life choices; some people have very obvious passions but I there are so many things I would like to do with my life and so many are incompatible and mutually exclusive that I know eventually I will have to pick something over others and who knows if I will ever get to return to them. It sucks that I may make a choice that makes me happy but that leaves me unable to enjoy all these other things somehow. Or worse, that I make the wrong choice and end up dissatisfied and disenfranchised too late.

Someone mentioned something about the fear of losing opportunities and I get that as well.

Never amounting to anything. Because I am not good enough, too lazy, unlucky, too timid or whatever. I don't think it would be enough for me to just 'get by'. I need to feel accomplished and useful. I really don't want a boring bureaucratic office life.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    going to find a medical show with a disfigured woman giving birth to a yapping pomeranian.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Fear: having to watch anyone else die again. Like, watch the light drain from their eyes. It's the worst thing I think I've ever experienced.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am another one of these weirdos scared of the ocean, or large bodies of water generally. Not as bad as I used to be, I don't get panic attacks from pictures of whale sharks any more, but a deep kind of dread about being adrift in a vast abyss with strange behemoths moving around me in the dark.

Drowning/suffocating/choking freak me out, but really I don't think that's too unreasonable.

I am not scared of heights but I am scared of edges. Like, I can be hundreds of feet up and enjoy the view, as long as there is a barrier or some distance between me and the edge. But make me stand on a chair, or use some particularly steep or narrow steps, where I am SECONDS AWAY from a fall of maybe TWO FEET, and I freak.

And death, that old classic. I literally cannot think about it. Nothing terrifies me like it. I can't deal with it.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote:
    I am afeared of letting the depressions ruin my life

it's pretty lame

Kadith please do not have the depressions, you have an avatar that is super great and always makes me smile!

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I fear failure, to the extent that I sometimes don't even try at things when I think I'm going to fail at them.
    I fear manic depression; it runs in the family. I hope I've dodged it.
    I also fell two stories once and broke my wrist and ankle. It didn't make me fear heights, but it did teach me to fear landings.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Stig has the fear fear.

Step right up and shoot the pasties off the nipples of a ten foot bull dyke! Win a cotton candy goat!

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    There are certain portrayals of Death that I feel, if I were to see any such entity upon my own passing, I would be comfortable with

Neil Gaiman's is one, but mostly Terry Pratchett's
    I dunno
    on the one hand, cute and happy rocker chick

but Pratchett's has cats

You could compromise and take the Death from Good Omens and get one who's really good at Bar Trivia, I guess.

This is the Death I wanna grab a drink and hot chips with.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    y'know what's scary

reading about a neurological disease on wikipedia

and then saying to yourself, well, I probably won't get it!

then scrolling down and seeing that you fit all the criteria for "people most likely to get this"

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote:
    Fear: having to watch anyone else die again. Like, watch the light drain from their eyes. It's the worst thing I think I've ever experienced.

Oh God. This sucks. I know how much this sucks...

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote:
    I am terrified of the possibility of dropping newborns. I silently freak out whenever someone asks me if I'd like to hold their kid.

Mori has this fear. He has... six months to get over it.

Mind you, I understand. I also faced this fear with my youngest brother/sister. Man, babies are so freaking fragile.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    What if you could live forever, but you would age naturally unless you periodically had to feed on another's life force to rejuvenate yourself
    No one should live forever if even one person has to die.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote:

Mori has this fear. He has... six months to get over it.

Mind you, I understand. I also faced this fear with my youngest brother/sister. Man, babies are so freaking fragile.

they're tougher than modern society gives them credit for

if they were, our species would have never survived.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

sup. Me too.

I was eight.

The guy holding the gun was my father. He was not joking.

That was a strange time in my life.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was dropped as a baby. As my gran carried me out of hospital at 7 days old after spending my first week of life in the ICU. Thanks gran! But I turned out fine, I think. Or at least only damaged in ways hidden to society, which is hardly damage at all.

What I'm saying here is throw your babies.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote:

Start out sitting down on a couch and having your brother/sister/in-law plop the kid in your arms. Can't drop anything that way.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Or just say

"No, get your shitty kid the fuck away from me."

I've never been asked to hold a baby since. That was 15 years ago.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    smof wrote:
    I was dropped as a baby. As my gran carried me out of hospital at 7 days old after spending my first week of life in the ICU. Thanks gran! But I turned out fine, I think. Or at least only damaged in ways hidden to society, which is hardly damage at all.

What I'm saying here is throw your babies.

I bounced myself off our countertop when I was a baby and hit my head.

I turned out ok.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Or just say

"No, get your shitty kid the fuck away from me."

I've never been asked to hold a baby since. That was 15 years ago.

brb doing this because I hate children

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll