As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls "Sen's Fortress and the Temple of GODDAMMIT!"

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    what do you mean, luck

you just either walk out or light the fire

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Teyar wrote:
    How.... HOW in the world did you LUCK into the Darkwraith ending? How?! Seriously!

Apparently there's a bonfire to light which gives the other option. I didn't notice it and thought I'd have to head back to the Lord Vessel or chat to the snake again.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Wait. THe whole, make a deal with Kaathe after dodging frampt from the beginning of the game isnt actually needed for the other ending.....?

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
    no

and you should put that in spoiler tags

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    No you don't need to be a darkwraith to get the
    dark lord
    ending

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm. Toying with PVP has got me nowhere. My hits rarely seem to register and I am unable to trigger backstabs. I assume it's lag related.

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    Out of all the enemies in the game, the only ones that have ever managed to nearly make me drop the controller in fright are the curse frogs (rotate camera around corner HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT) and the boulder-throwing enemies just in front of Quelaag's domain. Mainly cos I'd be running past them and suddenly a rock whooshes past me and BAM huge sound.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Out of all the enemies in the game, the only ones that have ever managed to nearly make me drop the controller in fright are the curse frogs (rotate camera around corner HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT) and the boulder-throwing enemies just in front of Quelaag's domain. Mainly cos I'd be running past them and suddenly a rock whooshes past me and BAM huge sound.

First time I found one of the slimed in the depths was mine. No orange signs just walkin along going to fAAAAAHHHH FUCK GETITOFFFGETITOFFGETITOFFF!

Only had enough time to beat Stray last night, but damn I love that fight. It's more like what I expected from the game when I started where he has a count to the 'safe' spot of his main attack that will either punish you if you don't evade it or expose you to the big attack if you don't know exactly what you're doing. But once you figure it out, it's not that hard to execute; I didn't take a single point of damage other than from the fall the time I killed him.

I've also successfully upped my +3 ligh ing clay to +5. My BKS still seems to beat it 9 times out of 10, but against those giant sentinels the lightning really helps. Hopefully the jump from +3 to +5 will make the royal dudes easier to take down.

JihadJesus on
    I saw an orange sign in a doorway in anor londo that, based on the useless message, seemed like it was intended to get someone stabbed by the spear knight there

The orange signs from the internet didn't really do a lot for me. It's a really good idea, but somehow the rating system still lets a lot of shit through. Like "Need Head" ones everywhere.

I think the worst thing about them is that, without using a specific miracle, a rate down looks exactly the same as a rate up

Oh man, there is some cool shit in the Art Book that doesn't seem to have made it into the actual game. And that makes me sad.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Can I get some advice?

I started up a warrior and I have 20 dex, 16 strength, 30 edurance, 20 vit, and the minimal amount of attunement for two pyromancy slots.

Right now I'm thinking about putting some stats into Faith, so I can join up the Sunbro's. But, the weapons doesn't really seem to scale all that much with stats increase (much better to just buy upgrades if you want to up your damage output). So....should I just keep dumping stats into vit and endurance? Cause...I don't really see the point in the other stats.

Also, My Ricards Rapier is at +10 and I can't upgrade anymore. Is there anything past +10?

you need to find more embers and new blacksmiths to get additional upgrade paths

there's an ember that you can take to the church blacksmith to upgrade things from +10 to +11-15, and another blacksmith who can upgrade plus ten weapon into lightning weapons

regarding your stats, the problem is that most early game weapons don't scale very well. generally, something needs to have a B rating or better in a particular stat for scaling to be decent on it

scaling weapons get much better towards the end of the game when you have access to better weapons and the ability to upgrade them past +10, since normal reinforcement improves the scaling. these generally have the additional advantage of being able to be enchanted

alternatively, you can boost your vitality and endurance over other stuff and just use lightning, fire, or dragon weapons, which don't scale except for two of the latter kind

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Any strats for getting past those black knights in Anor Londo that have those huge bows? I can get up to them just fine but I cant get em to chase me down to an area to take them down.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Any strats for getting past those black knights in Anor Londo that have those huge bows? I can get up to them just fine but I cant get em to chase me down to an area to take them down.

Is it the ones where you are still outside the building, or some others?

If you're still outside, kill the harpies, run along the narrow bridge that gets you to the wall and then go right so you're out of shot of the one on the left. The aim of the game is getting the other to put his bow away so he starts swinging his sword, then you can either parry him or just keep blocking until he knocks himself off.

With the one on the right killed, the other is easy as you don't have to worry about getting shot in the back.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I've almost never actually been killed by those dudes.

If you go up the right side and pause for a beat or two just before making your final approach, you can avoid getting shot at all. You might need to roll an arrow from the one in front of you, depending on your timing.

edited December 2011
    They dont do any damage to me, but when I'm on the ledge going to the right guy and blocking because the arrow hits just off centre of my shield it nudges me off the tiny ledge.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Wear your light armor and your biggest shield before running up the ramp. If you have any Haste-inducing equipment/food use it now.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    um. there's haste inducing things?

I think he's talking about the stuff that improves stamina regen

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Eugh been stuck on these fucking archers for like 4 hours now. They just don't take knockback when I block them so they never fall off.

try getting the left one into melee range and then walking back to the walkway to get it to fall off

Praise the fucking sun.

Turns out poison arrows and that first bridge leading up after the gargoyles are a good combo.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Eugh been stuck on these fucking archers for like 4 hours now. They just don't take knockback when I block them so they never fall off.

Greatshield will probably solve this problem. I did it with an Eagle Shield and didn't even realize that was the part everyone bitches about until later, it was total cake for me.

• mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    mr weenis wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    mr weenis wrote:
    Yeah, so I still can't get the rusted ring! I have the key and everything, but when I go up to the door, the game doesn't even give me an option to open it....does anyone else have this problem?

Just want to ask, because it helps to make sure, but the key is the key from the rooftop just before you get to the crow's nest, right?

Right. And, just for me to make sure, it's the door in the room right past where you drop down in the tutorial to fight the asylum demon, right?

also, it's not telling me the door is locked, it's literally not even giving me the option to try and open it.

So wait, no one else has had this problem?

Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
    I don't think so, no.

are you sure you have the right door? check a map.

• mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    I don't think so, no.

are you sure you have the right door? check a map.

I'm positive

Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
    that's weird

man, I was in human form after kindling the castle bonfire in Anor Londo

I eventually got invaded by some kind of twink with a lightning katana (the game didn't give me any notification, I guess he was a darkwraith)

I nearly killed him, but he ran off and used humanity

after trying for, like, two minutes to get me to attack the blacksmith he eventually ran off to circle around me

then he got a backstab that took me out in one hit :(

Woooo Lordvessel get.

Guess I'll head into the areas beyond Quelaag's domain now.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Re: Demon's souls

Woo beat the armor spider. that's two bosses down. I'm starting to understand the game a bit better I think... although with that fight it didn't seem very strategic so much as heal through all the unavoidable damage and stab quick.

I hit my first split in upgrade paths so I guess I get to see where that takes me.

That mine area made me hate myself though for a little bit. The payoff felt good after so many corpse runs.

initiatefailure on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    How come everytime I get invaded, they somehow magically perform a backstab even though they were clearly standing in front of me?

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Same thing happens here. I'm avoiding doing the circling, I try and not be predictable, but if I fight someone in the open I'm sure to get backstabbed. I now try and fight the fights in thin corridors if I can.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    man, I hear a lot about those, but I never see any of that when I pvp

I guess I should be doing more

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    I just died the dumbest death ever. I killed Centipede Demon, and decided to swap out one of my rings for the covetous silver serpent ring to get extra souls. Then I ran towards the next bonfire so that I could spend them.
    That ring I swapped out was the one that protects you from lava...

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I just died the dumbest death ever. I killed Centipede Demon, and decided to swap out one of my rings for the covetous silver serpent ring to get extra souls. Then I ran towards the next bonfire so that I could spend them.

Speaking of that ring. Is that one of the one's you loose on a NG+?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Speaking of that ring. Is that one of the one's you loose on a NG+?

Yep

Can only sorcs learn non pyro offensive spells?

Also do these bosses souls make anything worth having? Had em in my inventory for a while. Got all up to the end of Anor Londo inc. Sif.

And one final one, is there a good place to farm large shards?

This discussion has been closed.