As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

BullioBullio Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
DX3_Logo21.png

First, and most importantly
elb67l.jpg

Sarif Industries: We Play God

Brief plot synopsis, courtesy of Wikipedia
The game takes place during the year 2027, 25 years before Deus Ex. Nanotechnological augmentations have yet to be developed and biomechanical augmentations are the current state of the art. The main protagonist, Adam Jensen, is a private security officer with Sarif Industries, a leading company that specializes in human augmentations. After he witnesses a chilling attack on his company which leaves him horrifically injured and forced to undergo augmentation to survive, "the conspiracy begins."

A prequel novel titled Deus Ex: Icarus Effect written by James Swallow (one of the game's writers) is out now. It actually sounds like an above average game-related novel.

Special edition and preorder details. The Tactical Enhancement Pack and Explosive Misson Pack preorder stuff is now available for everyone on Steam for $2 and $3, respectively.
deus.jpg
The special edition (dubbed the Augmented Edition) will be $10 more and include the stuff pictured above. Overall a very standard special edition. Europe, NZ, and Australia also get a "very special (ie more expensive) Collector's Edition" that includes everything in the limited edition plus an Adam Jensen figure (most likely the fancy NECA one).

The game is available for pre-order at various locales, and is continuing the trend of exclusive seller content. GameStop gets a special bonus mission featuring a DX character. If you don't want to know who it is, don't click the spoiler below (or the link above). Europe limited edition pre-orders include all of the retailer pre-order bonuses in one tidy package.
tracertong.jpg

Other places get weapon packs. Preorders through Steam, and only Steam, get TF2 crap. All of the TF2 stuff is already craftable and found in drops.
Deus_Ex_-_New_Items.png

PC people may feel free to pre-order wherever they want as the PC version is using Steamworks.

Mods and technical issues stuff
Debug mode mod lets you fiddle with in-game settings, skip the intro movies, and play demo levels from conventions (supposedly only the E3 one works, though).

How can I disable the ads?
You mean the ads everyone thought we were in the clear of? There seems to be two methods, neither of which I've personally tried. The first method is a mod from the same folks behind the debug mod. The second method involves blocking the ad servers in your hosts file. Try blocking fs10.doublefusion.com (image server), adsrv10.doublefusion.com (tracking cookies download server), and trksrv10.doublefusion.com (upload server). Also delete the ad's cached image file in C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\dxhr\cache. Thanks to @Daedalus for hosts file info.

My game crashes/I can't start the game.
Hotfixed. Try it again.

My mouse feels weird.
Despite claims made by the devs before release, the game appears to force some sort of mouse acceleration and smoothing. You're going to have to play with the settings to get it right. I suggest an X of 5 and a Y of 8. Recent patch has adjusted mouse settings to actually feel like a normal mouse.

Video performance is choppy.
There doesn't seem to be a definite fix for this, but the most common solution appears to be turning off VSync. Personally, I did this and the game was still incredibly choppy. Turning off only SSAO eliminated video problems for me. The most recent patch implemented fixes for choppiness and stuttering, so feel free to try running the game normally before fiddling with video options.

I'm seeing weird black dots on stuff.
Are you using DX11? I bet you are. Turn off tessellation.

I never asked for these unskippable logos.
Too bad. There's no known way to skip them. What a shame. You can skip them using the debug mode mod above, but that's the only known way to skip them so far. You can skip them now after the first time you boot the game.

I can't find a config file.
There isn't one. However, most settings are stored and can be changed in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HR). No settings for the mouse acceleration or smoothing. Get used to it.

I'm still getting a lot of jaggies with max AA on.
AA doesn't seem to help too much in this game. Using it in conjunction with the supplemental AA settings in your NVIDIA control panel will greatly improve the look of the game. I imagine something similar is possible with the Catalyst control panel.

Can my PC handle this?
Check over the PC specs and see for yourself.

Minimum PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c
Processor: 2 GHz dual core
RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

Recommended PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 or Intel Core 2 Quad or better
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5850
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

I like videos!
The first DLC, titled Missing Link, is out now for $15 in your platform's currency. It will be released for Mac sometime after the Mac version of DX:HR is released. Spoilerish plot summary and trailer within. It is a standalone piece of DLC and is launched from a whole new entry in your Steam library instead of inside the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCLThRNr_A
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During lead character Adam Jensen’s quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.

"We are very excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution fans to be able to complete Adam’s journey in the game with The Missing Link DLC," said David Anfossi, producer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at Eidos-Montreal. "Gamers will be able to experience a vulnerable side of Adam like never before, which gives the overall game a whole new dimension. The Missing Link propels players into compelling gameplay, beginning with Adam being stripped of his use of augmentations, new, visually stunning environments and the continuation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s conspiracy rich story.”

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, gamers will befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

A Mac port is coming late 2011/early 2012. Feral Interactive, who ported Bioshock and Borderlands to Mac, are working on this.

deus_ex.jpg

Wikipedia, go!
Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in the year 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role playing games.

Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional recreations of organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

A GOTY edition with multiplayer was released later, and is the version up on digital distros. A PS2 version (Deus Ex: The Conspiracy) was also released with prerendered movies for the intro and the endings, among other changes. See the spoiler.
DeusEx.jpg

But before you do, you may want to consider the following.

Shifter mod does a bunch of tweaking to the game to make it better, and reinstates some lost/cut content. If you're using BioMod, you're also using this since it's built on Shifter.

BioMod changes aug behavior, implements auto item switching (lockpicks for doors needing them, etc), regen is more Halo-ish, and other things. Has Shifter included, so no need to get that if you're using this. Thanks to our very own @Lork for cooking this up!

The High Definition Texture Project aims to update DX's model textures to look more modern. The version here is not finished, but what's in it looks good. Many people bitch about the game looking ugly, but these people suck. Also, this can be annoying to get working with the Steam version. See here for info/fixes.

Unreal engine D3D10 renderer adds D3D10 support for Unreal Engine games. You get fancier shadows and a bunch of other stuff that I know little about.

New Vision replaces all of the game's world textures with high res versions. Version 1.5, the final version, is now available! Also includes Kentie's launcher and D3D10 renderer.

This Ultra High Quality mod basically does the same as HDTP and the D3D10 renderer (I think), but looks like it's tweaked somewhat. Uses crazy amounts of bump mapping. Don't know much about it since I only found it while looking for vids for this OP.

If the game runs too fast for you, look here. Those with widescreen monitors see there, or here.

There are also custom campaign mods, though I have no experience with them. Probably the most well known is The Nameless Mod, which is rather spiffy (or so I've been told).

If you're stuck, consult the greatest walkthrough ever for advice.

Misc, very important stuff.

logo.jpg

This is the sequel. It is not as good as the first one. These are objective statements.

Wikipedia, again.
Invisible War takes place twenty years after Deus Ex, in a world being rebuilt after a catastrophic event called The Collapse. Following a terrorist attack that destroys the city of Chicago, the player assumes the role of Alex D, a trainee at the fictional Tarsus Academy, whose support is sought by several organizations. As the game progresses, the player learns of conspiratorial factions which seek to drastically change the world.

It was launched on PC and Xbox simultaneously. It's more action/FPS oriented than the first game, no doubt due in part to being designed for a console.

To get widescreen enabled, check here.

There are a few interesting utilities here, including a settings tweaker and a surround sound fix.

Also, a unified texture pack that collects a few different custom high-res texture packs can be found here.

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I never asked for this thread.

Any word on how much content you get for $15? Seems pricey for DLC.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    To get bigger text size:
    [size=7]Up to 7, looks like[/size]

Which looks like this.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    harvest wrote:
    I never asked for this thread.

Any word on how much content you get for $15? Seems pricey for DLC.

Somewhere between 4 to 8 hours depending on how much exploring and side questing you do. That is a big spread but if you're someone who's playthrough was in the 50+ hour range a 6-8 hour length is probably in the ballpark.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Deus Ex: HR good sales means people are going reinstall Deus Ex more often. From Steam.

Nice move Squenix. Nice move.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    To get bigger text size:
    [size=7]Up to 7, looks like[/size]

Which looks like this.

Cheers.

I've read from various places that Missing Link averages 5 hours, so maybe 6-7 if you're slow and explore a lot or 4-5 if you're a 2 pump chump.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so is it standalone from the campaign?

I don't mean plot wise but in regards to how you access it.

• Options
    so is it standalone from the campaign?

I don't mean plot wise but in regards to how you access it.

Yes, I believe so. Word is you select from the main menu or something.

Cheers to The Dude With Herpes/Galedrid for the Tactical Enhancement Pack code, thus proving himself the classiest gent with herpes around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    Since nobody's been shallow enough to ask yet, allow me:

Where in the shit are my new achievements? I thought DLC over a certain price was required to have them.

:(

This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Wow, the DLC is 2 gigs.

I had some steam moneys in my wallet so I went ahead and bought it. Batman: AC will likely take all of my free time for a while, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    holy shit that last achievement... challenge accepted... once it's on sale.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    Is there a certain time the DLC kicks in to the main narrative or is it just post end game? Just got back to Detroit after Montreal so I'm not done the game as of yet.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    kal wrote:
    Is there a certain time the DLC kicks in to the main narrative or is it just post end game? Just got back to Detroit after Montreal so I'm not done the game as of yet.
    Chronologically.... it kicks in between
    planting the bomb for Tong, and waking up at Omega Ranch
    Mechanically however, it isn't part of the main game at all.
    It is launched as it's own title in steam, essentially it is a stand alone expansion.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Viking wrote:
    kal wrote:
    It is launched as it's own title in steam, essentially it is a stand alone expansion.

Thanks. Just trying to figure out where to slip it in during my playthrough. Looks like I'll be able to hit that mission and the other dlc mission on my return to China.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Cheapness from the lovely LewieP. HR for a tenner.

http://savygamer.co.uk/2011/10/18/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-9-99/

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    kal wrote:
    Viking wrote:
    kal wrote:

Thanks. Just trying to figure out where to slip it in during my playthrough. Looks like I'll be able to hit that mission and the other dlc mission on my return to China.
    The other DLC mission is really nicely integrated into the main game, it's impossible to miss and it feels like it's a natural part of the main game (except for the "this is the DLC mission" loading screen)

Thats what makes me sad that Missing Link is divorced from the rest of the game. It would have been better snuck into the main game instead of standing alone.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Yeah it would be nice but wIth the game being out as long as it has it sorta needs to be standalone since people who have better attention spans than me that have finished it can play it without starting over.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    I took the break through walls with my arm augment but it doesnt highlight weak walls for me. Is my game bugged?

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Tridus1x wrote:
    I took the break through walls with my arm augment but it doesnt highlight weak walls for me. Is my game bugged?

On what difficulty are you playing the game? If it's Give Me Deus Ex, the default is to turn off the highlighting for all objects, including teh walls. You can go into the gameplay section of the options and turn this back on, regardless of the difficulty setting.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    kal wrote:
    Yeah it would be nice but wIth the game being out as long as it has it sorta needs to be standalone since people who have better attention spans than me that have finished it can play it without starting over.

I was sort of hoping for an option to turn it on as a sort of "director's cut" option that would integrate it into the main game. I've been looking for an excuse to do my first replay. Standalone is alright, though. I guess I could always exit out of HR and start up the DLC at the appropriate time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote:
    kal wrote:

I was sort of hoping for an option to turn it on as a sort of "director's cut" option that would integrate it into the main game. I've been looking for an excuse to do my first replay. Standalone is alright, though. I guess I could always exit out of HR and start up the DLC at the appropriate time.

Yeah that's pretty much going to be my plan once I get to that part as well.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Apparently an update was released last night as well.
    - A fix for some players that get stuck on an infinity loading screen in Detroit.
    - Fixes for some issues that caused crashes for players using specific firewall or proxy software.
    - Additional improvements to counter stuttering in the game.
    - Support for Eyefinity in combination with 3D when using interleaved stereoscopic monitors.
    - Support for additional brands of stereoscopic interleaved monitors when using AMD graphics hardware.
    - Support for Nvidia 3DVision.
    - Support for Nvidia Surround, also in combination with 3DVision.
    - Improved control over the stereo-3D display in the game.
    o The allowed range for the stereo 3D Strength setting has been increased.
    o A Stereo 3D Plane setting was added to provide additional control over the 3D effect.
    - Various performance improvements.
    - Fix for ‘moire’ issues seen on billboards in DX11 mode.
    - Some changes to try to counter specific driver issues causing crashes in DX11 mode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Okay, I picked this up last night and have been playing it for a while. Wow. This is not a small bit of DLC. Granted it doesn't really add new features, but the actual maps feel bigger than what I'd expect for DLC normally. Also, those achievements......man they don't make it easy. The "factory zero" and "all of the above" achievements are a bitch to do. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to do "all of the above".

• Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    Finished it after maybe 5 hours or so.

Kinda love it, but still probably not worth $15. Ties the HR story into the DX1 story a bit more.

Not a plot spoiler:
    End of the credits says, "Hope you're not going anywhere because we're just getting started."

This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    When is this due for the PS3?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I gotta say, the boss battle they did for this was much better than anything in DX:HR. If anything it felt much closer to DX1 in terms of pacing and feel.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Just got the DLC. Gonna check it tonight.

Hey guys,
    when you saw the CGI of Adam's multiple surgeries at the beginning of the game, did you thought of Nip/Tuck's theme song fitting in there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS3oDPTYrU0

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    About the info from the scholar and old adage achievements....
    Next DLC: Moon or Australia?

I'm hoping both :D

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    akeso wrote:
    So for those who beat the missing link AND saw the 3d display tables:

there's also a room in Picus that
    has a link to a moon base and schematics as well.

• Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    akeso wrote:
    So for those who beat the missing link AND saw the 3d display tables:

there's also a room in Picus that
    has a link to a moon base and schematics as well.
    Yeah, I'm really hoping the next set will be the moon.

I wonder if the rebreather works in space

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    DLC is awesome. Worth the $15 bucks, it's better than any of the missions in the regular campaign.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Can anyone confirm whether or not you can get Factory Zero if you've eaten a cyberboost bar or used a hypostim? The achievement description doesn't say anything about these, but the description also says not to use "PRAXIS kits" and people have confirmed that upgrading augs from EXP causes an achievement failure.

I'm worried because I am going for the achievement but I did use one bar earlier in the game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, I am upset.

I beat The Missing Link on Give Me Deus Ex! difficulty. Totally nonlethal run, no augmentation upgrades, no weapon use, nothing.

I beat it and no Factory Zero achievement.

I did use a fire extinguisher to break something (by throwing it) so I reloaded a save I had before that and replayed the last hour of the game.

No Factory Zero achievement.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wait according to the dlc bit in the OP.
    you don't have augs?

I didn't get the upgrade chip though because I'm not an idiot.

• Options
    Missing Link DLC is 25% off at Get Games this weekend. Glad I waited a few days

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:
    you don't have augs?

You get Metroid'ed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    kal wrote:

I was just coming here to post this. Had some issues with credit card verification (I guess since it's a UK site?), so just a little heads up there.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Guuuh. I'm still in Shangai and should finish this sometime. It's just that I made a lot of progress and it crashed.

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/image/433

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote:
    kal wrote:

I was just coming here to post this. Had some issues with credit card verification (I guess since it's a UK site?), so just a little heads up there.

Weird as I didn't have any issues whatsoever.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    you don't have augs?

You get Metroid'ed.

Adam had a baby and lost his fucking mind?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.