As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I just rotate through three save files (plus quick and autosave, of course).

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah 3 save rotation here too.

I just got back to Prague for the third time
    Is there a follow up tot he Harvestor here? The only side mission I've gotten so far is to help Samizdat evacuate people

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Is there a follow up tot he Harvestor here? The only side mission I've gotten so far is to help Samizdat evacuate people

There will be, don't worry.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ED! wrote: »
    The "science" talk in this game can be a bit stupid sometimes: "3D-printed city. . ." Yea. I'm sure that'll pass inspections.

That's not stupid at all:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/worlds-first-3d-printed-apartment-building-constructed-in-china/

Despite some of the wacky super powers they hand-wave away, I've actually really enjoyed how they've attempted to ground the science in these recent Deus Ex games. They have serious consultants come in.

EDIT: Also, one thing I really enjoyed about Golem is how you can see that it's made to be modular and how those lifts you use in the mission are part of how it's constructed.

Winky on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

RE — That Spoiler:
    Depending on the outcome of The Harvester, Rami might not get the call, as you have to have collected all the evidence at the crime scene (or at least the finger print partial), and the evidence disproving the husband's guilt, and the file on the Harvester, AND you have to tell the cop that they're dealing with a copy-cat. Considering Rami has already helped Samizdat, I'm guessing that the follow-up won't happen. If it does, remember that you HAVE to attend to it ASAP.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »

RE — That Spoiler:
    Depending on the outcome of The Harvester, Rami might not get the call, as you have to have collected all the evidence at the crime scene (or at least the finger print partial), and the evidence disproving the husband's guilt, and the file on the Harvester, AND you have to tell the cop that they're dealing with a copy-cat. Considering Rami has already helped Samizdat, I'm guessing that the follow-up won't happen. If it does, remember that you HAVE to attend to it ASAP.
    Not necessarily the copy-cat thing. I pointed my finger to the politician (because it seemed natural, he might've had an alibi, but that doesn't preclude him from sending someone else.) I still got the call.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I hate to be That Guy, but I'm going to be That Guy for just a second. Lore tidbit early-ish in Prague, after meeting with TF29:
    One of the analysts has a cool organizational flowchart set up, and you can prompt him for information about the various factions and their key players. Among those is the NSF, or as they describe it:
    The New Sons of Freedom, or NSF, is a small group of militant constitutionalists and secessionists operating in the continental United States, particularly in the Pacific Northwest. The group was formed as a reaction to the American government's increasingly authoritarian regime. NSF is committed to fighting the influence and control of a group of unknown people they believe to be the Illuminati, with strategic guerrilla warfare strikes. They are suspected of having ties to Janus and the Juggernaut Collective.

Description of the NSF from DX1's "Know Your Enemy" posts:
    The National Secessionist Forces (NSF) remain a very real and increasingly widespread terrorist threat. Ten years ago, in response to the Sporting Weapons Act of 2042, splinter groups from nearly every state militia refused to surrender their rifles, grenades, land mines, and other "collectibles" prohibited by the Act. Unified under the charismatic leadership of Leon Woods, these isolated fanatics eventually formed the NSF with Woods assuming the rank of General. Their intended goal: the "liberation" of Washington, Montana, Oregon, and Northern California.

While Woods died during his infamous "last stand" in 2045, his war machine continues what can only be termed an occupation of the United States, aided by an encrypted network designed by dissident computer scientists from San Francisco and Seattle. Currently, the UNATCO Cryptography Division has had minimal success in cracking their communications, requiring more direct intelligence gathering techniques to be utilized.

The U.N. has declared war on the NSF.

Pretty big differences between the two. Given the timescale, it's possible the latter could arise from the former at some point. Then again, Picus emails in HR name Nicolette DuClare as a sender, who likely hadn't been born yet, so it's more likely they're just playing loose with the details. I can live with it, but it nags at the brain.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Remember it's all in-game; fast-and-loose-with-the-details can be hard to differentiate from "actor within the universe has incorrect information".

• Options
    One thing I love about the Church of the MachineGod
    Depending on the ending of DX1 that you choose, they're totally right about the existence of a MachineGod :P.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I save hundreds of millions of times in every game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Anyone playing Breach? It's cool. I like it.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Drez wrote: »
    Anyone playing Breach? It's cool. I like it.

N8xsCOXl.jpg
    Yes.

It gets really hard progressing later though, your Praxis earnings dry up and there are still many expensive upgrades you absolutely need, feels tuned for micros later on.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I used to.
    But these days all games insist on counting my saves, not just making a note of when save was done, but actually counting how many times i have saved.
    Which i always find somehow accusatory and insulting so now i save as little as i can and only rely on quick and auto saves in most games when ever possible.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    One thing I love about the Church of the MachineGod
    Depending on the ending of DX1 that you choose, they're totally right about the existence of a MachineGod :P.
    "The future is already decided, it's just my part on it that's yet to be decided."
    ... or close to it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Also, my favorite incidental bit of backstory is that Jensen was the captain of his high school debate team.

• Options
    Also, my favorite incidental bit of backstory is that Jensen was the captain of his high school debate team.

I always liked how, at the beginning of Human Revolution, Pritchard treats Jensen like an idiot jock and Jensen is like "no, no, no, fuck you, I'm probably even smarter than you."

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I used to.
    But these days all games insist on counting my saves, not just making a note of when save was done, but actually counting how many times i have saved.
    Which i always find somehow accusatory and insulting so now i save as little as i can and only rely on quick and auto saves in most games when ever possible.

The infinite space on the cloud is only for naturals!

Also, "15% detection chance" is a lie.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    You are missing something.

Let's say the recharge amount is 20%, because that's about what it looks like to my eye.

In Human Revolution, it would only recharge to 20%, and only if you were below 20%.

But in Mankind Divided, it will recharge by 20% even if you are above that. For example, if you are at 100% energy and use 15%, you'll regenerate that 15%. If you are at 100% energy, and consume 30%, you'll regen 20% of that, leaving you at 90%.

It's a small difference, and functionally not that distinct, but the key advantage to it is that you can now stay prepared at full 100% energy all the time without wasting your free rechargeable energy segment.

Every ability that uses energy will drain your maximum. If you are at 100% and use an ability you aren't going back to 100%.

I've stayed at 100℅ for ages and not lost any of it. The only aug i use is Smart Vision, maybe that's unique.

• Options
    It definitely isn't. I use smart vision in pretty much every room and my max energy dropped quickly even before I got cloaking.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Orca wrote: »
    Remember it's all in-game; fast-and-loose-with-the-details can be hard to differentiate from "actor within the universe has incorrect information".

Not only that, but are you sure that...
    The emails weren't sent by Elizabeth DuClaire? Because in this part of the timeline, she's head of the WHO and in charge of the biochip plot that caused the incident to happen. It'd make sense for her to email Everett at Picus regarding the aftermath.

Also:
    Regarding the NSF, it's totally within the Illuminati's playbook to co-opt existing organizations for their own benefit. I mean, I haven't beaten MD yet, but a large part of the plot is about ARC being corrupted from within in order to serve the Illuminati's purposes. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to the NSF over the course of 15 years or so.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It definitely isn't. I use smart vision in pretty much every room and my max energy dropped quickly even before I got cloaking.

I haven't bought the cloaking. Seems to render other methods of being stealthy redundant too much for my liking. Instead of having to think of a clever way to distract a guard, or finding a hidden path around him, you just walk right past him cloaked.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I have the willpower to save it for emergencies (I mess up and someone starts to spot me) or if there's a room that's just really well patrolled and it's either cloak or knock some people out.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    if there's a room that's just really well patrolled and it's either cloak or knock some people out.

there are no rooms like that. Every room so far has had an augless ghost path through it. And I'm a good 25 hours in.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    if there's a room that's just really well patrolled and it's either cloak or knock some people out.

there are no rooms like that. Every room so far has had an augless ghost path through it. And I'm a good 25 hours in.

I guess what I actually mean is rooms where I can't find another way past. There are two instances I'm thinking of. The first one is in the bank.
    I couldn't get past the guard post outside the CEO's office and couldn't find another way in (I found it on the way out). Because distractions only work on one person, I couldn't get them to look away from the door.

The other one is in the second hub.
    I felt the need the need to do all the secondary objectives to get up the ARC elevator and one of those is to help that one guy being beat on. I used cloak to get past those four cops only to discover I had to take care of them, anyway...

I guess what I'm saying is you're right, but it doesn't always seem that way.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The CEO office guards have a patrol route that will eventually lead them both to face away from the door for about a 5-6 second window. You don't need to knock anyone out.

That's what I mean. You can have all the strong willpower you want, but as soon as a path looks impossible without cloak, you'll immediately give in and try it. If you never skill it, you are forced to consider problems very carefully which makes for a much more satisfying accomplishment.

Beating the
    ARC area from the ground level all the way up to Rucker
    without knocking anyone out or being seen at all (not even triggering yellow) remains my most satisfying accomplishment in my first playthrough so far.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I guess what I actually mean is rooms where I can't find another way past. There are two instances I'm thinking of. The first one is in the bank.
    I couldn't get past the guard post outside the CEO's office and couldn't find another way in (I found it on the way out). Because distractions only work on one person, I couldn't get them to look away from the door.

Pretty sure there's a way to get up high and use a vent to bypass the normal entrance. Otherwise you can make the windows opaque with remote hacking, take out one guard when he patrols away from the couch and turns around, and take
    out the distracted guard sitting down after.
    I felt the need the need to do all the secondary objectives to get up the ARC elevator and one of those is to help that one guy being beat on. I used cloak to get past those four cops only to discover I had to take care of them, anyway...

Start with the guard that patrols closes to the stairs and knock her out from behind the chest high wall. Go back up a level and drop through the big hole in the floor when no one's looking to make your way to take down the guard that hangs out near the door to that room. The guard at the computer does not look up unless on alert and has a blocked field of vision. Go back upstairs via the hole, back down the stairs, move the crates to the left to expose a gap in the wall and sneak to the guard at the computer and deal with them. The final guard in the exo-suit is dealt with last via silenced EMP round and takedown.

A lot of setups become easier to figure out when you realize that anyone sitting down and looking at a screen is as distracted as any of us are IRL.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The CEO office guards have a patrol route that will eventually lead them both to face away from the door for about a 5-6 second window. You don't need to knock anyone out.

Then one of them bugged out because I waited and he never moved from the door.

Pretty sure there's a way to get up high and use a vent to bypass the normal entrance. Otherwise you can make the windows opaque with remote hacking, take out one guard when he patrols away from the couch and turns around, and take
    out the distracted guard sitting down after.

Start with the guard that patrols closes to the stairs and knock her out from behind the chest high wall. Go back up a level and drop through the big hole in the floor when no one's looking to make your way to take down the guard that hangs out near the door to that room. The guard at the computer does not look up unless on alert and has a blocked field of vision. Go back upstairs via the hole, back down the stairs, move the crates to the left to expose a gap in the wall and sneak to the guard at the computer and deal with them. The final guard in the exo-suit is dealt with last via silenced EMP round and takedown.

A lot of setups become easier to figure out when you realize that anyone sitting down and looking at a screen is as distracted as any of us are IRL.

As I said, I found the alternate route in the bank on the way out and I'm trying to ghost as much as possible (actual ghosting, not what the game calls ghosting), so I was trying to avoid dealing with those four cops. Once I got to the guy and it became clear I had to, it was no trouble.

• Options
    There are some patrol routes that will take 1-2 minutes to complete. Patience is definitely required.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    whelp, I've put 13 hours into the game so far, the last 3 hours of which was spent going into every possible place inside of paliside bank. Eventually the security robots and turrets ended up killing all their own employees. So weird, I don't get how that happened.

dum dee dum...

The corporate vault shit is super cool btw, sadly I've only found one keycard for them so far :(

also uhhh I guess I should go on my first main story mission post prologue (well and visiting headquarters the one time).

I, likewise, went about clearing out the entire Palisade and basically just dismantled the whole building piece by piece, but I wasn't able to figure out a way into the corporate vaults (I've got the Tai Yung corporate keycard atm but it wanted the Versalife one to operate it).

Anyway, I feel that I've sufficiently stuck it to The Man for now, and will probably go back to the main missions.

But you better watch your backs, 1%, because one of these days I'm coming back for you.

I was stuck on this for ages as well, i eventually just had to look it up:
    go into the parking garage, outside, you can get into the vaults through the wind shaft on the left in there

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I like to try to get through situations without buying augmentations; I currently use high jump constantly and air dash very occasionally, along with judicious amounts of hacking, and a couple of times using the "held object can move super-heavy object when jostled" glitch. I have 11 Praxis kits waiting to be used. :p

I also generally reload when someone spots me, though occasionally I take the opportunity to look around the area freely until I get shot. No organic combat for me, but this way is genuinely fun. I like the challenge, and I don't mind trying five or six times to get in, get what I need, and get out undetected.

Also, is it just me, or is the psychologist kinda cute?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I can't even imagine playing this game and not having high jump. like what? do you even explore prague. jeeze.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Others have been saying this, and I have to echo the sentiment that I enjoy how you just can't quite trust anyone you work with.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Okay so I had something happen earlier and I'm not sure it was a glitch or intended. I was doing The glitch sidequest. I had just finished
    https://youtu.be/Qrkpn2KrWlA this conversation and got the dude to not spaz out and I wouldn't have to robo-wreck his shit.

He leaves and I head back to the first hub and on a lark, go to the bar near Adam's apartment and who do I see?
    wgm0lOP.jpg This son of a bitch! I thought: "Nah. Duplicate NPC, it's gotta be. But I talk to him and he's all "Don't you have a date with the contents of that data disk? Tee hee~" How'd you beat me here?? Also get out of my bar!

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Not only that, but are you sure that...
    The emails weren't sent by Elizabeth DuClaire? Because in this part of the timeline, she's head of the WHO and in charge of the biochip plot that caused the incident to happen. It'd make sense for her to email Everett at Picus regarding the aftermath.

Also:
    Regarding the NSF, it's totally within the Illuminati's playbook to co-opt existing organizations for their own benefit. I mean, I haven't beaten MD yet, but a large part of the plot is about ARC being corrupted from within in order to serve the Illuminati's purposes. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to the NSF over the course of 15 years or so.

Regarding the emails:
    It's most likely an error; there are definitely two messages indicating Nicolette is an employee of Picus. They almost certainly meant Elizabeth, though they're written more like she's physically at the company doing work for them instead of the WHO. I think a few wires just got crossed while they were writing emails.

As for the NSF:
    There could be a connecting thread, but it feels like they grabbed the basic ideas of the NSF in the first game and just kludged it into the HR/MD canon. The NSF started as a secessionist movement against the United States, and only later morphed into any kind of national resistance against the broader conspiracy. Having the NSF start as a guerilla movement opposing the Illuminati, reform as a narrowly-focused bunch of splinter groups from state militias big enough to fight an open war, and then circle back around to resisting Majestic-12 needlessly confuses things, in my opinion.

Ultimately it's their series and their call what they do with canon. This stuff just sticks out to me, is all.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Regarding the NSF
    The transition actually makes sense to me.

It starts off small and targeted in the late 2020s, focusing on presumed Illuminati members and facilities, under the guise of secessionism.
    In the 2030s and 2040s, due to the political climate of the time, it blossoms into a much larger effort, still actively targeting Illuminati and, eventually, MJ-12.
    In the 2050s, the NSF is one of the only organized resistances against MJ-12.

It's not much of a change, really. They've always been fighting the Illuminati/MJ-12 under the guise of secessionism. It's just that by the time the 2050s roll around, MJ-12 is the much larger threat, so the NSF agrees to work with Silhouette and the Luminous Path.

Remember - what we're originally told about the NSF in DX comes from MJ-12 sources (the UN/UNATCO/Bob Page controlled media). There's no reason to believe it was only secessionist movement.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So, I tried an "I didn't ask for this" playthrough. Got killed near the beginning because I saved while in cover, and when you press space to continue on the loading screen, it also immediately interperets it as you wanting to pop out of cover and go running forward.

They really didn't think some of this interface through.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Small weird thing that bugged me regarding post-Golem:
    If you don't give the personal secretary to Miller and then you also don't give it to Vega then it somehow counts as you having given it to Miller.

No game, I don't trust ANYONE

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So, I tried an "I didn't ask for this" playthrough. Got killed near the beginning because I saved while in cover, and when you press space to continue on the loading screen, it also immediately interperets it as you wanting to pop out of cover and go running forward.

They really didn't think some of this interface through.

Yeah too many interface issues for me even to bother trying that one I think.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    I feel like the I Didn't Ask For This mode was absolutely made for streamers.

• Options
    FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    I'm loving this game, but one thing that grinds my gears is that the intro movies' sound volume isn't controlled by the game's volume sliders (really, in 2016?), so every time I start the game and forget to remove the headset my eardrums get pierced and I get startled out of my seat.

This discussion has been closed.