As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Budget Games Mega Thread

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Blue Wish looks hot.

And I wish I didn't know that Shikigami 2 had so many conversation options. It took me long enough to just finish that evil game, least of all trying to see the two-player stories.

It figures that my favorite character has the absolute worst voice actress/lines, hands down.
    Crooked castle? I must fight! Store info then jam!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like Fumiko as a character, but I can't really play as her. I always have to use the girl with the cat the reflects bullets.

Also, both Shikigami have a level where you have to go through a maze and complete a puzzle. In a shooter. I can't get past that level...it just confuses me way too much.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    NCSoft sure does like to do special promotions with GameStop. Next time they do a buy one GW get one free deal I'm jumping on board.

olfsi_022307-1.jpg

Accualt on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I like Fumiko as a character, but I can't really play as her. I always have to use the girl with the cat the reflects bullets.

Also, both Shikigami have a level where you have to go through a maze and complete a puzzle. In a shooter. I can't get past that level...it just confuses me way too much.

In #2, do you mean the mid-boss in the third level with the gold/red/white cubes? Because its easy with the right specials.

The level leading up to that... yeah, that's pain.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    there was this one game I really dug about a year or two ago. It played like serious Sam, where you were in an arena and swarms of zombies came at you, and theyd like get armor and stuff as they progressed, and power ups would appear. It was basically a first person crimsonland, and it was indie developed and sold for about 20 bucks, but I cant find it for the life of me, anyone know what Im talking about?

blakfeld on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Oh, I remember that. Now what was it called?

Echo on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    Also my favorite budget game of late has been the insanely awesome Survival Crisis Z. Former shareware game turned freeware where it's essentially an action RPG with zombies. Can be found here http://skasoftware.com/files/scz.exe. I heartily recommend a download also I think Zombie Smashers X, a River City Ransom clone, recently went freeware as well. Check their main page though, at http://blog.skasoftware.com, for more details on that.

Zombie Smashers X was delightful. I thank thee with many internets and a bloody rotting corpse that once was a zombie until I smashed it in the head with a crate.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Quite welcome.

Play Survival Crisis Z as well. Fun damn game that I've poured at least fifteen hours into for just the first chapter alone.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been considering Castle Shikigami 2 myself at some point.

Hmmm... but yes, Gregory Horror Show is a nice little quirky PS2 adventure game if you're luckly enough to live in Europe. Budget in the first place, and it's dropped to around a fiver these days if you can find it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In trying to learn more about the shmups mentioned on the first page, I found this thread which contains a link to add BGM to Warning Forever.

Just in case you didn't know about it.

I can't wait to try these on Wednesday, when I'll finally be free.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just picked up Psychonauts and Advent Rising (for PC) today for $5. I was quite happy, especially because I can use my 360 controller when I play them.

Always check pawn shops, or "Liquidation" stores. You can find some good deals. Sometimes the most unlikely place will have a ton of awesome games for cheap.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BTP wrote: »
    In trying to learn more about the shmups mentioned on the first page, I found this thread which contains a link to add BGM to Warning Forever.

C'mon, we can do fucking better than naruto music. I myself like the anime but it really doesn't fit at all.

Unless there are other .ogg files i missed.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    JJ wrote: »

C'mon, we can do fucking better than naruto music. I myself like the anime but it really doesn't fit at all.

Unless there are other .ogg files i missed.

Okay, I had no idea. I haven't downloaded it yet. I thought it was made by the same people that made Warning Forever and it just came out later. It was certainly the impression it gave me.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty cool all the screenshots show spider looking bosses while on my play they evolved into long spear-like ships.

Mine always evolve into the same set of vaguely triangular ships, with built up fronts and built up backswept wings and names like Phoenix and Infinity. I usually fight them by ripping a side apart starting from the front and sweeping backwards to the wing, and then circling around after the inevitable charge. What are you doing to get straight ships?

Edit: Just managed to get into a wider/asura progression by sticking as much as I could to the upper-right corner.

jothki on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    blakfeld wrote: »
    there was this one game I really dug about a year or two ago. It played like serious Sam, where you were in an arena and swarms of zombies came at you, and theyd like get armor and stuff as they progressed, and power ups would appear. It was basically a first person crimsonland, and it was indie developed and sold for about 20 bucks, but I cant find it for the life of me, anyone know what Im talking about?

well Painkiller was a bit like SS, but from the rest of your description, i'd guess that's not the game you're looking for.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LeoDudeLeoDude Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Its fun to attack only the rear of the ship in WF, only to then switch to the vastly underdeveloped front 8 stages later.

LeoDude on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Had a fun stage where there were about 2 dozen laser blasts all at one time. I wish i had a replay for that one.

Anyone notice the missiles end up splitting up in later stages?

I switched to window mode since it looks sharper and reduces my tunnel vision which end up boning me good in shmups.

Edit: what a bummer. I checked up OCremix for good music and got an awesome track from The Guardian legend but apparently it only plays .ogg in the game.

Edit prime: I've been looking at converters but I paranoid as fuck and really don't want to commit to downloading something without hearing if any of you support something and know it to be safe.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just managed to get another series of enemy types in WF, by focusing on taking out individual weapons and pieces with as little blasting at the roots and core as possible. The enemies have very clustered parts, and tend to put up that energy thing a lot, which I assume is some sort of shield. However, the shield doesn't cover the pieces next to the core so the most effective strategy is to open a path to the core and then take out entire wings at once, the exact opposite of what you've been doing.

Neat. Anyone managed to figure out how to fight circular enemies?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just realized a potential problem.

To anyone that knows the controls to Warning Forever, Cho Ren Sha, and Blue Wish Resurrection: Am I going to have control issues (e.g. not enough buttons) if I try to play these games with a D-Pad and 8 buttons?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

To anyone that knows the controls to Warning Forever, Cho Ren Sha, and Blue Wish Resurrection: Am I going to have control issues (e.g. not enough buttons) if I try to play these games with a D-Pad and 8 buttons?

I don't see why you would, seeing as how 4-buttons is the standard.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Field

It's a Korean MMORPG in which you are the commander of a ship in WW2. Once you get to level 12 you get to pick a nationality, which is either Japanese, british, German, or American.
    Tnfgroup.png

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

well Painkiller was a bit like SS, but from the rest of your description, i'd guess that's not the game you're looking for.

Sadly it is not, this was an indie game. There was thread about it here way back in the day, I believe it was two years ago? Just about?

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sadly it is not, this was an indie game. There was thread about it here way back in the day, I believe it was two years ago? Just about?

I know exactly which game you mean, but I can't remember the name. :x

Repetitive, but mindless fun.

Echo on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Maybe it's because it's almost 2 in the morning, but I find that picture of Navy field really cute.... the battleship with big smilie over it and the other with the kawaii eyes... reminds of my days in the service for some reason...

Anyway, thanks to Kmart, I picked up TimeSplitters: FP for $10. I gladdly woulda paid double now. And Target had Giest for $12 so I'm discovering a bunch of "lost classics" on the cheap (those that I can't get on Gametap anyway).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Warning forever uses the directional keys and four others, so you'll be fine there at least.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

ArcticXC wrote: »
    I don't see why you would, seeing as how 4-buttons is the standard.
    jothki wrote: »
    Warning forever uses the directional keys and four others, so you'll be fine there at least.

Very good news. Thanks.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I tried a new style in Warning Forever -- I shoot the stuff on the rear side of the boss first.

That made them evolve first into cross-shaped things, then more and more legs until they were round spider things with arms in all directions. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wf_flow.png

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    After fiddling around a bit in Warning Forever, I think I managed to figure a few things out.

First, the direction that the boss grows seems to be significantly based on the initial direction you attack it from. If you want the front to grow, attack the front, if you want the sides to grow, attack the sides, and so on.

Second, the type of growth that occurs seems to be based on the manner you destroy the parts. Attack the individual outer pieces to encourage the growth of armor pieces and shielding, and attack the root piece of a section to encourage the growth of arms.

Third, the name of a boss seems to be just a label of its current state, and doesn't affect the growth of the boss at all. A boss takes on a new type of name once it meets the conditions for that name, so depending upon how you attack the transition could occur sooner or later than usual.

Fourth, oh god high level lasers are huge.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wikipedia has an explanation on Warning Forever boss growth, but I don't think it's 100% accurate. Or my game is just bugged.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Double post! Oh Em Gee!

http://www.chainsawmaniac.com/

Take Resident Evil 4's chainsaw maniacs, add a healthy dose of Game & Watch and this is what you get. My score is 105, because I foolishly died twice.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So has anyone heard of "Force Majeure"?

From the single screenshot I've seen, it looks something like U.N. Squadron done in the graphical style of Metal Slug. That sounds like some hot shit!

ForceMajeure.gif

Edit: Hmm...apparently there's only a demo of the game available and the full game is still being made. :(

I can't wait to see it finished. :D

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I just downloaded Blue Wish Resurrection. Now what do I use to open it?

Edit: Add Cho Ren Sha to that. I'm looking at the folder, but since everything seems to be native to Japanese, I have no clue what I'm doing, and I don't want to screw anything up.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Gish is wonderful. And cheap.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just downloaded Blue Wish Resurrection. Now what do I use to open it?

Should work fine with WinRAR.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I was suggested 7-Zip in the PC Shmups thread before this, but thanks.

However......

I just want to try out some Blue Wish Resurrection! It's an .lzh file. I don't know about them. I downloaded 7-Zip. Now I'm even more confused on what to do.

It's my first .lzh file. That means this moment is special. But seriously, I need details on what to do to make Blue Wish Resurrection work.

Edit: I'm not sure what I did, but at the same time I figured it out. WOOHOO! See you on the other side!

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just want to say that playing Warning Forever while listening to Final Fantasy VII 'Philharmonic Suite: Finale' definitely increases the "kick-ass" meter to maximum.

Can anyone recommend a freeware horizontal SHMUP?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just want to say that playing Warning Forever while listening to Final Fantasy VII 'Philharmonic Suite: Finale' definitely increases the "kick-ass" meter to maximum.

Can anyone recommend a freeware horizontal SHMUP?

Hmm...you might try G-Type. It's a mix of R-Type and Gradius.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I started playing Cave Story. It's a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be, but I hit a hard part. I'm just going to have to bitch up and get past it. I also know I missed a few health things that I'm too lazy to go back and get. I'm not a hundred-percenter kind of guy.

piL on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Has Spring been mentioned yet? Because it should be.

http://spring.clan-sy.com/

Daedalus on