Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Twilight Imperium] Game 4: Fall of the Empire - Game Over: Jol-Nar Wins!

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
TwilightImperiumLogo.png
Twilight Imperium: Fall of the Empire

Over three thousand years ago, the Lazax ruled the galaxy. But after many millennia of control, the Lazax grew complacent with their position over the other races of the galaxy. The six great races of Sol, Hylar, N’orr, Hacan, Letnev, and Xxcha began to chafe under the rule of the Lazax Empire. And so when a trade dispute over the Quann wormhole resulted in the Sol armada acting against the Letnev, a flame spread like wildfire throughout the galaxy, igniting a civil war between races that had only tenuously been held back by the Lazax rule. In the centuries that followed, the Twilight War eradicated the Lazax race and turned back thousands of years of progress. The great races retreated to their home planets to rebuild, and once the Galactic Council was once again able to meet, it was a shadow of its former strength. And now, thousands of years later, after the long era of the Dark Years, the time is right for a new race to step up and become the rulers of the galaxy, and the guiding hand for all races within its domain.

But what if things had happened differently? What if the motivations behind each great race’s actions were different? What if the Lazax was more perceptive in attending to the great races’ drives? What if the alliance lines were drawn differently? We now look back on those times, to see how history may have unfolded differently in an alternate retelling of the Twilight War...

Twilight Imperium is a boardgame of galactic empire-building on a large scale, often described as a 4X game given physical form. Players build ships, conquer planets, research technology, and engage in trade and diplomacy, all in the pursuit of earning victory points toward claiming the Imperial Throne of Mecatol Rex and rule over the entire galaxy. The second expansion to Twilight Imperium, however, presents an alternative scenario for gameplay. In the Fall of the Empire scenario, players take the role of one of the great races at the outset of an alternate Twilight War. The map is preset based on the number of players, and instead of victory being determined by victory points, each player has a specific objective that must be achieved for victory, or an alliance must be made to allow for victory to be achieved with another player’s victory.

Rules and Utilities

Base Set Rules
Shattered Empire Rules
Shards of the Throne Rules
Official FAQ
Tech Tree

Walkthrough/Tutorial
Previous Games on PA: Game I, Game II, Game III (setup)

There’s a lot of rules to read through, and the summary I am putting into these opening posts will not be entirely comprehensive. I recommend reading through the Walkthrough/Tutorial linked above for starters, and as a good review of the base game for veterans. You might also want to look at previous games played on the forum for an idea of the flow of the game.

In general, actions will be noted in bold dodgerblue, bold limegreen, and bold red: see the sections below for specific formatting. Except for conversations between teammates and those initiated by the host, all inter-player conversation must be done in-thread.

As a special note, I will be making three exceptions to the scenario rules as laid out by the original design. First of all, common technologies (and the modified tree) introduced in the first expansion, Shattered Empire, will be included in the Technology Tree. (Racial Technologies will remain unavailable.) Secondly, Action Cards introduced in Shattered Empire will be included in the Action Card deck for this game, and cards that apply to Optional Rules introduced in the Shards of the Throne expansion (these are the ones that can be traded in for a Trade Good if they don’t apply to the ruleset being used) shall be removed. Thirdly, a player must control their home system in order to claim or share victory in this scenario - this is to avoid abuse of the Traitor objective described below.

Scenario Objectives
Spoiler:

Races and Special Abilities
Spoiler:

General Game Flow
Spoiler:

Strategy Phase
Spoiler:

Action Phase
Spoiler:

MrBlarney on
chirisigtext.png

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Strategic Action and Strategy Cards
    Spoiler:

Tactical Action
    Spoiler:

Space Battles and Invasion Combat
    Spoiler:

Units
    Spoiler:

Transfer Action
    Spoiler:

Status Phase
    Spoiler:

Odds and Ends
    Spoiler:

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    edited February 2012
    End of Game

End of Game Map
    Technology Status

The Lazax: sartori and jakobagger
    Spoiler:
    The Barony of Letnev: stever777
    Spoiler:
    The Sardakk N’orr: Tmoiy, LeumasWhite, and Lykouragh
    Spoiler:
    The Emirates of Hacan: Darian and FunkyWaltDogg
    Spoiler:
    The Universities of Jol-Nar: SeGaTai and Cayrus
    Spoiler:
    The Xxcha Kingdom: El Skid
    Spoiler:
    The Federation of Sol: lodwilk and Void Slayer
    Spoiler:

Neutral Worlds and Agenda Effects
    Spoiler:

Jol-Nar flips over their Scenario Objective card, "Traitor": You win the game if you control an enemy Home System (excluding Mecatol Rex). (Immediate Victory)

Jol-Nar has fulfilled their objective and are declared winners!

Game Links

Team and Race Assignment
    Round 1: Strategy Phase, Start of Action Phase, Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4, End of Action Phase
    Round 2: Strategy Phase, Start of Action Phase, Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4, Update 5, Update 6, End of Action Phase
    Round 3: Strategy Phase, Start of Action Phase, Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4, Update 5, End of Action Phase
    Round 4: Strategy Phase, Start of Action Phase, Update 1, Update 2, Update 3, Update 4, End of Action Phase
    Round 5: Strategy Phase, Start of Action Phase, Update 1 (end of game)

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    edited October 2011
    Game Signups

People interested in playing should !sign up for participation in bold limegreen text. As part of signups, please also indicate if you wish to play in a team, whether as a new player wanting to partner with someone more experienced, or a player who likes to collaborate with others. If there are more players interested than available slots, then teams will be created to allow for maximal participation.

In addition, while I am planning on running a game under the Fall of the Empire scenario rules, if there is sufficient demand for a standard game, I will accede to player request and run a game under those rules. Please specify in your signup posts whether you prefer the scenario game or the standard game; details/modifications of planned rules for both types are listed below.

Signups will be open for an unspecified, but hopefully reasonable timeframe. Let's say a week at the most.

Fall of the Empire Scenario:
    • Full 7-player/team game preferred
    • Technology Tree will include Shattered Empire techs (no racial techs)
    • Action Card deck will include Shattered Empire cards and remove Shards of the Throne cards that refer to inapplicable options
    • Players/Teams must control their Home System in order to be eligible to win

Standard Game Scenario:
    • 6-player/team game preferred
    • Map-building as per Shards of the Throne rules using tiles from both expansions
    • Variant Strategy Cards set from the Shattered Empire expansion
    • Public Objective decks from the Shattered Empire expansion
    • Full Technology Tree available, including racial techs from both expansions
    • Action and Political Card decks will include all cards from both expansions, removing cards that refer to inapplicable options.
    • Shock Troops, Flagships, and Mechanized Units may be built
    • Custodians of Mecatol Rex tokens from the Shattered Empire expansion protect Mecatol Rex
    • Tactical Retreat is possible in Space Battles.
    • Other options are not planned, but may be included per player request

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
  • DarianDarian Registered User regular
    I'll happily play in a team (first preference with FWD again if he wants in, since the last game died), but am an experienced TI:3 player and can go solo or mentor a new player.
    No scenario preference.

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User
    Hooray, sign up! I am happy either to work in a team or go solo.

No real scenario preference. I do have balance concerns regarding the Fall of the Empire objectives (particularly Loyalist and Support of the People), and I would also be interested in incorporating some Shattered Empire options (tactical retreats come to mind). But I understand that sticking closely to the scenario as designed is the simplest solution.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite Registered User regular
    I'll sign up! despite being as green as can be. Probably a good idea to pair me up with someone who knows what they're doing.

hellboysig.jpg
    Tmoiy wrote:
    No real scenario preference. I do have balance concerns regarding the Fall of the Empire objectives (particularly Loyalist and Support of the People), and I would also be interested in incorporating some Shattered Empire options (tactical retreats come to mind). But I understand that sticking closely to the scenario as designed is the simplest solution.

Ah, looks like I did forget Tactical Retreats as an option for the standard game rules. That's a good option to have, it's not complicated to include. As for the Fall of the Empire Objectives, certainly they aren't balanced, far from it really, but at least you can attempt to ally with someone else and earn victory in that fashion. As they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

chirisigtext.png
  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    I've wanted to try this game for awhile, but I've never played it before. I'll sign up if ya'll end up doing teams, but I can bow out if a more experienced player wants in.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • jakobaggerjakobagger KøbenhavnRegistered User regular
    !Sign Up

I've never played before and so could probably use a mentor. If not I'll just learn by doing though. Got a lot of free time.

No preferences on scenario.

SrvYUfN.png
    bgg / steam / goodreads / Origin: Bygasto
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Signup

Played in the last one, not too much experience with it. Happy to go it alone or team up if interest keeps growing

PSN SeGaTai
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

I was watching the last one but no real experience, glad to team up since my strategies tend to always have large gaping holes I cannot see.

It looks like with the alliance system up to four players could potentially win at the end of turn 8, is that correct?

He's a superhumanly strong soccer-playing romance novelist possessed of the uncanny powers of an insect. She's a beautiful African-American doctor with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!
    How will secrecy rules work? Are there any restrictions on what you can tell others about your secret objective? Also, how much conversation will be allowed via PM, rather than publicly in the thread?

• sartorisartori Registered User regular
    !Sign Up

Have played quite a few games of TI:3 offline, but never on forums. If there is room I would be glad to team up, be mentored, or if necessary - learn the old fashioned way. I have NOT tried the Fall of the Empire scenario, so I am definitely intrigued.

Darian wrote:
    How will secrecy rules work? Are there any restrictions on what you can tell others about your secret objective? Also, how much conversation will be allowed via PM, rather than publicly in the thread?

There are no restrictions in terms of what you are allowed to say about your objectives publicly. However, all conversation (except between teammates) must be made in the thread.

Looks like we have enough players for the game, but I'll leave signups open for another day to allow more interested people to sign up. We'll have a maximum of fourteen people, for seven teams of two. Some people will go it solo if there aren't enough people.

chirisigtext.png
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User
    I've never played before either but !Sign up as well

DM in Age of Ascension (IC/OOC)
    Tzeentch in CitOW Game 53
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    Hooray, I remembered to sign up!

I'd like to team up with Darian again.

Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    !sign up to go it solo, hoping to get through a game of this by PbP one day :P

El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

wrath God fear traitor evil
    edited October 2011
    Team and Race Assignments

Alright, I'm going to call the signups closed at this point. I've got a few things to take care of in the next couple hours before we can get the game started for real, but for now, I've got the teams for the game set up. The Random Number God has spoken, and here is what it has declared:

The Lazax: Emperor sartori and High Councilor jakobagger
    The Barony of Letnev: Baron stever777
    The Sardakk N’orr: Envoy of the Queen Tmoiy and Tekklar Leader LeumasWhite
    The Emirates of Hacan: Quieron Darian and Mowshir Sheikh FunkyWaltDogg
    The Universities of Jol-Nar: Headmaster SeGaTai and Regent Cayrus
    The Xxcha Kingdom: King El Skid
    The Federation of Sol: High Minister lodwilk and Fleet Admiral Void Slayer

Pre-Start Map

While I get things ready, sartori and jakobagger, you guys will need to distribute your starting forces as per your special ability. Any systems adjacent to Mecatol Rex are fair game for placement, and any worlds taken by Ground Forces will be part of your initial holdings at the start of the game. When you guys have decided on your initial placement, post it in bold dodgerblue. Since the Speaker Token is in your hands at the start of the game, you may also decide your starting Strategy Card at that time; selection order will continue down the list in the order above.

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    edited October 2011
    Everything should be ready to go - all players should now have their game objectives. The third post has been updated to include the starting state of the game. sartori and jakobagger are ready to place their starting units and select their starting Strategy Card. For everyone else, your starting units have been already placed. If you wish to override my default placements, then feel free to let me know before the end of the first Strategy Phase by noting so in bold limegreen.

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    edited October 2011
    Since most races have different values on their trade contracts, the proposal should probably include the value of the contracts offered.

edit: removed my version of the example

Darian on
    edited October 2011
    True that. Changes made, value of Trade Contracts exchanged should be in brackets. I've also removed the (playername) parts in the examples, since there are so many teams and naming by Race is identifying enough.

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    edited October 2011
    I just realized I forgot to give a brief description of the Treaty Cards. The Lazax starts with a hand of seven cards, with the following non-flavor text on them:
    Spoiler:

The other six races have four-card hands:
    Spoiler:

Reminders: The text on the treaty cards can optionally serve as recommendations, but remember that only the ally with the lowest-numbered treaty wins along with a player that fulfills his primary objective (and to answer Void Slayer's question above, it is possible for up to four people to win, if the Lazax, Loyalist, and two allies are victorious). If a player has two treaties belonging to different opponents, then they are ineligible for alliance victory (but can still go for their personal primary).

On a side note, if teams create new conversations for discussion, I'd appreciate a side invitation to the conversations. But don't forget that all conversation between races must be done publicly in this thread.

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    Does the ATTACK THE *** text on the treaties have any game effect other than serving as a signal/private info channel to whomever receives it?

Nope. Ultimately, game-wise, it is only the numeric value of the Treaty Card that matters.

chirisigtext.png
    Are we playing with the new techs from Shards of the Throne? (Not the racial techs, of course, but the other ones.)

As noted in the rulebook, the new common Technologies from Shards of the Throne are eligible for research in the Fall of the Empire scenario.

chirisigtext.png
    In that case, these may be of use to people.

Tech tree image:
    Spoiler:

Tech tree list:
    Spoiler:

I did include a Tech Tree in the Technology sub-section of the Strategy Cards section, you know. There wasn't room to include the full text in the post, but I at least tucked everything into the image I made.

chirisigtext.png
    edited October 2011
    MrBlarney wrote:
    the Technology sub-section of the Strategy Cards section

This here might be problematic? The tech tree seems important enough to go with the rules in the first post, especially since the Shards rulebook didn't include one for some bizarre reason.

Tmoiy on
    edited October 2011
    Huh, so you did. Somehow I missed that (or forgot it was there, since it does look a bit familiar).

Do Emperor @sartori and his loyal @jakobagger know they are up?

Darian on
    They do if they know how to read good :rotate:

PSN SeGaTai
    edited October 2011
    Tmoiy: Good idea. Alright, the Tech Tree's been linked in the first post with the other resources.

Darian: sartori and jakobagger have been active in discussion of their starting moves, so there's no need to worry there. I don't think it's unreasonable to allow some time to assess the situation before setting out.

MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
    Excellent! I just hadn't seen anything in the thread.

edited October 2011
    Greetings citizens of the empire. In the interest of moving forward with our great civilization, we promise generosity to the willing, and fairness to the fair. The children of the empire will prosper in harmony!

Lazax forces are set up as follows:

Mecatol Rex: 1 Space Dock
    Lodor: 2 Ground Forces, 1 PDS, 1 Dreadnought, 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer
    Quann: 2 Ground Forces, 1 PDS, 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyers
    Vefut: 1 Ground Force, 1 Destroyer
    Mehar Xull: 1 Ground Force

I select the (8) Industry Strategy Card.

sartori on
    I'm gonna be nice and point out that you'll want to adjust your starting setup in Quann, since you have four non-Fighter Ships there and your Fleet Supply limit is 3.

Map update this evening, once I get back home. stever777 is up for selecting his Strategy Card, moving clockwise around the map.

chirisigtext.png
    Thank you for pointing that out, and my apologies. Edited to fix that mistake (moved 1 destroyer to Vefut), and my text colors for initial placement.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    The Xxxcha(sic) look forward to this exercise in Galactice diplomacy.

Sol and Jol Nar, we reach out our hands to our neighbours in friendship.

mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

wrath God fear traitor evil
    Neighbors again aren't we Skid, was working pretty well last time, will hopefully proof fruitful this game as well

PSN SeGaTai
    We come to swarm. The swarm will cover the stars.