As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program

MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've thought about volunteering for the big brothers program for a few years. I'm wondering if anyone here has been in the program and can offer me some anecdotal experience. I'm in my 20s and have no children, so I have no experience with kids.

What level of involvement do you have in the kid's life?
What kind of time commitment is usually involved?
What types of activities are generally suggested (I know this will differ depending on the child's tastes)?
What general advice would you give someone new to this?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
301787-1.png
Muriden on

• Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    I have no idea what it's like today but I had a Big Brother when I was a kid (single mom, no siblings).

I usually saw him once or twice a week, and the activities ranged from watching a movie to going to the park to going hiking. The range was wide. I think it came down to mainly the input of me and my mom, regarding what activities we did.

So yeah, if things are at all the same, you're probably looking at three to seven hours per week. Just be prepared to clean up some kid's puke because he couldn't make it to your bathroom in time. I still feel guilty about that to this day.

I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    Thanks for the story.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png