As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Board game recommendations

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm wanting to put some board games on my Xmas list, but I've basically never played any beyond the extremely mainstream ones. I want something strategic and deep, but at the same time won't scare off my wife or take five hours to finish.

chuck steak on

• Options
    schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
    Settlers of Catan, vanilla version, is a simple-to-play hard-to-master type game that usually takes around 20 minutes a pop once you get the setup figured out. When that gets too simple or you have some more time to spend, the Cities and Knights add-on makes it significantly deeper. The main catch is that you really need 3 or more people. It can be done with 2 but it requires some creative adjustments to the rules to make it reasonable

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Space Alert.

although that really is better for a set of 5 people, as with 2, it would be simply just way too much to handle.

• Options
    MrT137MrT137 Registered User regular
    Dominion is a good one, easy to pick up, doesn't take very long, yet has some indepth strategy and lots of replayability. More than any other strategy game, I've had luck with getting non-gamer friends and family to play that. SmallWorld is good too, 1-2 hours to play, lots of strategy, but it's kinda silly so it'll be easy to bring in other people.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Dominion.

For something simpler, I like The Pillars of the Earth.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I came in here to suggest Dominion too. Awesome game, that is.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I will be playing with four to five people most of the time, so it doesn't have to be a good game for two people. Also, any games that takes a few hours are ok, just nothing overly epic in length.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    +1 to Dominion
    +1 to Settlers

add Carcassonne.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Agricola is a really good, although it's pretty complex.

Risk 2210 AD is a really brilliant mod for Risk. It limits turns so it completes in 2 - 3 hours and has some really interesting alterations. Bonus is, you can play vanilla risk with the board if you wish, although ever since getting 2210 AD a few years back, my friends and I haven't played vanilla.

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    Ascension is a lot like Dominion but easier to pick up, in my mind. Catan is a good choice. For something easy and fun might I recommend the card game Guilotine? It's easy to learn but has some strategy involved and the subject matter is funny in a macabe way. Chrononauts is good for similar reasons.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    MrT137MrT137 Registered User regular
    Basically my wish list: http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Powergrid is a good one too, up to six people.

• Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    Another vote for Risk 2210, the changes they made to the game add a lot. Also, I'm a big fan of Betrayal at House on the Hill. It's a modular tile game that isn't deep per say, but it is a lot of fun, and the game changes every time you play. A good Halloween game I think.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Family Business is a hoot if the gangster theme is appealing to you at all.

@As7, is Guillotine actually enjoyable to play? The theme is hilarious to me.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    My vote is for Arkham Horror. Once you figure everything out it usually takes around 2 hours to finish. Definitely gotta think things through if you want to survive in this game. Its also kinda/sorta rpg'ish if that floats your boat. Tons and Tons of replay value on it as well.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Puerto Rico

Non-random, strategic, non-5 (non-1 hour, honestly) hour long game.

But it is kinda 'mainstream' as far as boardgames go.

Unless 'mainstream' in your OP means, like, monopoly and risk and nothing else.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    I loved Pandemic! it was a crazy wild game. It can end in a couple of turns, or it can last till all the cards run out (that was a sucky way to lose). I don't recall how long that session lasted, but I enjoyed every moment of it. Had we strategized better in the beginning we probably would have won . Also, Nuns on the Run was an enjoyable game.

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Settlers is, I think, the ultimate "get people into deeper boardgames" game out there.
    Dominion, especially if you or the people you know know and enjoy Magic: the Gathering, is incredibly easy to pick up and play.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    I'd definitely recommend Ascension and Munchkin (which also happens to be a card game, and man is it a great card game!).

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    nataliepi wrote:
    I'd definitely recommend Ascension and Munchkin (which also happens to be a card game, and man is it a great card game!).

Munchkin is a really good one. Super easy to get into too.

• Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but Dixit is a brilliant game. Very casual and good for large groups.

Also, I throw my support behind Catan and Dominion.

I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Bohnanza is the ultimate game. You'll play it so much that no one will want to play any other game so you pretend to have lost it or lent it out to someone just so you can play the other wonderful games in your collection sometimes.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Look at the OP's on each of these threads, lots of info on games:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/111714/boardgames-citadels-for-when-you-need-a-game-for-over-5-people/p1

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/148688/board-games-cylons-in-the-stone-age-and-communications-interupted-/p1

And I don't think it's on there, but Kingsburg is probably one of my favorites right now. I'd list it with Agricola, Caylus, Le Havre and Galaxy Truckers.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Carcassone is a good one for two players, fairly straightforward to learn; also comes with a variety of expansions to make things a bit more complex if you enjoy it.

The Game of Thrones board game is good if you're looking for strategy - it takes 2-3 hours if you've played it before, roughly 4-5 the first time.

The Battlestar Galactica board game is another one good for larger groups (4-6), with a strong co-operative element.

I'll second Pandemic.

Oh, and Shadows Over Camelot, which is a 3-5 player game where the players co-operate against the game itself. Great fun, but very, very hard - but good if you want to avoid games where you play *against* other players.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So, I like a lot of the games already mentioned, but let me go ahead and point out downsides of many of them.

Most of these I'm not shit-talking because I don't like them, just pointing out flaws that may or may not be deal-killers to you; it's almost more important for you to know what the downsides of these games are than the upsides when choosing one:

Carcassone: the scoring can take awhile, and can be kind of offputting to newer players.

Agricola: very complicated, I'd recommend against starting anyone on this one, but it is a great game to move up to.

Dominion: has, like, no aesthetic/thematic to it; it's a very straightforward game, with very little luck. This is my second-favorite game, and is a great place to start if you don't mind the lack of luck and theme.

Ascension: more of an aesthetic/thematic element than Dominion, but not much; also, it is very heavily luck-based. Like, once you've gotten the basic strategy for the game down, it's pretty much 100% luck. It plays quickly, though, and this is a game I like to play while I'm waiting for more people to show up, or only have a little time to kill.

Battlestar Galactica: My favorite game. However, this is not a game for people who take games super-seriously; there are some hardcore backstabbing elements, that very strongly reward being able to lie well. Also, very complicated, especially with the most recent expansion. Probably not a great game to start with (a good one to move up to), but fucking amazing, even moreso if you're familiar with the show.

Shadows Over Camelot: Don't buy this game. It's okay the first couple of times you play through it, but it is really easily "solvable," in that there's one way to play it in order to try to beat it, and you should use the exact same strategy every time. You're basically just finding out if the cards and traitor are going to allow you to win or not.

Settlers of Catan: This is the "gateway drug" of serious boardgames, however trading has a huge influence over the game, and if you don't like that, you're not going to like the game.

Kingsburg: If you get this game, get the expansion. The expansion improves the game tremendously. It's a thoroughly mediocre game without the expansion, and a great game with it.

Munchkin: I don't like this game, but a lot of people do. It's pretty much entirely luck-based, and the endgame turns into "everyone gangs up on the person in first place." It's very accessible, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    Pandemic! is a really fun co-op game, although I've never tried it with two people. It's also got a pretty short life-span. If you haven't won in 45 minutes then you've probably lost in that time. It can also be quite short; I once played a game (with the expansion) with five or six people and there were two people that never got at turn before we lost. It was pretty funny.

Munchkin is also good and super easy to get into and there are a ton of expansions. The game can take a little while with a lot of players, but it's never too long.

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Do not buy Munchkin if you don't have other games. Munchkin is not going to give you diverse gameplay experiences. It's really fun, but once you've played it a few times, you have experienced all it has to offer. If you have a ton of games, you may break it out from time to time, but it's not a game you'll want to play over and over without any other games.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    I personally love Ninja Burger, which is by the same dudes who made Munchkin, and is phenomenally fun. If you like it, there's an expansion you can get too. It's also pretty easy to explain to new people

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It sounds like everyone else has already covered the deep strategic games, so I'll add some fun games in the mix that work well with a small group and are good when everyone gets tired of the other stuff.

First off, I am seconding Battlestar Galactica. It's a pretty damn awesome game.

Second, two good games to use as fillers or for a nice break are Last Night on Earth (a really fun zombie apocalypse board game that would be great for Halloween) and third, I always have to recommend Apples to Apples. It's like the ultimate group board game when you just want to take a break from the serious strategy and just have a little improv comedy fun.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    are you planning on playing exclusively 2 player games, or are you expecting to run some kind of board game night with friends/family?

also, check out dicetower.com, dude does video reviews of games and really does a great job of showing the good/bad/ugly of games he reviews. Particularly, check out http://www.dicetower.com/top_ten_lists/games_everyone_should_own.html many of the games mentioned in this thread are on there, it could give you an idea of what to expect.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    For 4-5, family style I suggest you check out (on boardgamegeek.com for example)

Space Alert: because it's awesome and I've gotten 'casual players' hooked to it. A lot of hectic fun and the best co-op game out there.

Dixit: Very casual friendly, creative - good fun. Plays well with 4-5.

Blokus: (for 4 players). Incredibly easy rules and fun.

Dice Town: if you need an easy filler, not so much strategic depth.

Say Anything: Not strategic in any sense, just fun with friends.

The Resistance (for 5 players and up): One of the best party games. Similar to werewolves, you try to find the spies within the group.

Time's Up (preferably with 4 or 6 players): Also a good party game. Usually we play with our own cards (give everyone about 40/#players white cards, write names, put in hat).

If you like card games then for 4 players Tichu is also a great option. Adds extra strategy.

Bang! the bullet: Shoot each other with cards! Limited strategy.

Where I think my suggestions differ from most mentioned earlier is that these are more about simply having fun with 4-5 whereas dominion, agricola etc are in my opinion more 'multiplayer solitaire points games' where you play on your own for a while (buy some X with Y over here), some limited player interaction, and compare in the end who racked up most points. They definitely add more satisfaction if the group is looking for that; seeing who plays best.
    Other popular gateway game that is usually recommended that I don't see here is Ticket To Ride.

edit2: wow, I looked over the 'deep' part and focused on the 'wife likes it' part. In that case definitely check out Space Alert, resistance and consider Tichu. Most of the other stuff I mentioned isn't deep at all.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    I highly recommend King of Tokyo and Alien Frontiers.

King of Tokyo is a pretty casual dice game where you battle other monsters to become the King of Tokyo. I haven't played it with anything less than 5 people so far though so I'm not sure what the 2-player game is like.

Alien Frontiers I would say is similar to Catan in some respects. It's a game of resource management, worker placement and luck. There's no trading between players in Alien Frontiers as every player has access to the 2 resources available (although to varying degrees, depending on worker placement etc.)

King of Tokyo I would say is a better choice if you're looking for a fun casual game with not too much strategy. If you decide to pick up Catan then I'd definitely have a look at Alien Frontiers.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forbidden Island
    It's a co-operative game where you and up to three others attempts to nab four treasures from a sinking island and escape. Variable difficulty, gorgeous assets, and all for around 13$.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote:
    Forbidden Island
    It's a co-operative game where you and up to three others attempts to nab four treasures from a sinking island and escape. Variable difficulty, gorgeous assets, and all for around 13$.
    Shit, I thought you were talking about Fireball Island, and was a little surprised a complete game could still be found for $13.

Settlers of Catan: Here's the thing about Settlers of Catan, the base game is pretty bland once everyone has it figured out. By bland, I mean the paths to victory, and the associated strategies, are pretty inflexible. If you're like me you're really going to want those expansion modules (Seafarers and Cities), and that's another $40 each, and another $20 for the respective 5-6 player expansions for each module (plus one for the base game). I think I've got my money's worth out of it, but I just thought I'd offering a warning that you will probably spend more than $40 on that game if you like it.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Entriech wrote:
    Forbidden Island
    Shit, I thought you were talking about Fireball Island, and was a little surprised a complete game could still be found for $13.

Settlers of Catan: Here's the thing about Settlers of Catan, the base game is pretty bland once everyone has it figured out. By bland, I mean the paths to victory, and the associated strategies, are pretty inflexible. If you're like me you're really going to want those expansion modules (Seafarers and Cities), and that's another $40 each, and another $20 for the respective 5-6 player expansions for each module (plus one for the base game). I think I've got my money's worth out of it, but I just thought I'd offering a warning that you will probably spend more than $40 on that game if you like it.

I had fireball island when I was ten or so. I seem to recall something like "Chutes and Ladders meets Mousetrap," but geez that was a long time ago.

I'm pretty much over Settlers of Catan, personally, for the reasons Arbitrary mentioned. I think it might have been Napoleon who said that in history, the only constant is geography; in Settlers of Catan, geography is the only variable. The strategies are more or less constant, at least in the base edition.

Battlestar Galactica is pretty awesome. It does a great job not only at making use of the source material, but it also captures the feel of the source material in that every minor crisis each turn feels like life or death for the human team. Every single game, I've felt at some point like things were utterly hopeless, and that can in turn lead to some spectacular moments where you suddenly get a lucky roll and destroy that Cylon boarding party just before it gets to the airlocks or score a lucky on that basestar. As Bill Adama says frequently on the show, "Sometimes you gotta roll a hard six," and you absolutely fucking do in BSG: The Boardgame.

I have a hard time getting people to sit down for a game of it, though, because when you fail, you fail spectacularly, and there's that constant sense of uncertainty and despair for the humans. Also, since everyone takes every decision super-seriously like it's the decision which might ultimately kill you, the game can drag as everyone indulges in a little analysis paralysis.

My favorite competitive board game recently is Merchants and Marauders. 17th/18th century age of sail in the Caribbean theme, lots of paths to victory which means that no one is every completely out of the game. It's one of those games where even though you're rooting against your opponent, you're also very interested to find out how the story of his character is going to turn out. The rules are fairly complicated, so your first game will take three or four hours, but once everyone understands the rules, you should be able to finish a game in 1-2 hrs.

SammyF on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I know it's been said, but Domnion is a great game. It's more or less a collectible card game minus the collecting and it's a lot of fun. The game also comes with a lot more cards than you will use in any game so you can rotate them in and out to keep it fresh/tune the game more to your liking.

Another one I recommend is heroscape, which is a miniature game (think Warhammer) but much more accessible. It's a ton of fun to play and you actually build your terrain which makes it a bit more visually appealing and interesting than your average board game. Things can get really crazy, especially if you have multiple sets. On the negative side, setup takes quite a while and I have heard that the quality of the components has gone down a bit in newer releases, however.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote:
    Forbidden Island

The problem with Forbidden Island in my experience is that it's very easy even with a full complement of players for one or two people who are the most engaged and have the best planning skills to essentially take over and play the game "for" everyone else ("You go here, then she does this, then I'll...") while everybody else just sits there.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote:
    Forbidden Island

Hey, I still have Fireball Island somewhere in the attic! You mean it's actually worth something?

Since we're on the topic of oldies, I really liked HeroQuest as a kid. It's basically D&D for dummies. The rules take a bit of time to get, especially if you're the dungeon master, but man was it ever awesome when I was little. Of course, I'm now in my twenties, so you know, sweet childhood memories and all that.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Forbidden Island

Hey, I still have Fireball Island somewhere in the attic! You mean it's actually worth something?

Since we're on the topic of oldies, I really liked HeroQuest as a kid. It's basically D&D for dummies. The rules take a bit of time to get, especially if you're the dungeon master, but man was it ever awesome when I was little. Of course, I'm now in my twenties, so you know, sweet childhood memories and all that.

You're like a five years younger, non-American version of myself, aren't you?

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Family Business is a hoot if the gangster theme is appealing to you at all.

@As7, is Guillotine actually enjoyable to play? The theme is hilarious to me.

Yes it is enjoyable. I particularly like it as a game to have conversation over and have played it on many a first date to some success.

A group game I found very fun is Revolution. The more players the better as it does rely on an auction mechanic.

Dixit is also an amazing party game but you need 4 to 6 people.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Throwing my hat into Carcassonne, with a similar experience to what you're looking for: I don't mind deep, long games that last hours, but my wife doesn't want to devote that much time to a game. Se we played this with friends, once with the 'explorers' version (mountains, lakes, valleys) and again tonight with the basic version (roads, cities, fields). We played without farms, easier to understand the scoring for new players that way. She really likes this game, to the point that I'm probably going to get the Big Box for Christmas. And that's the other nice part; it's expandable, but only for what you want. Heck, you can buy an expansion solely for more board pieces and a longer game, and pick and choose from what new 'rules' you want to use, because it's not so much new rules as it is additional factors in playing the game.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Citadels is always a favorite for newcomers when I break it out. Very small portable box too; it's just two decks of cards and some tokens. There's a box with the base + expansion that can do up to eight players. Quick and simple rules.

Bang! is also pretty fun and easy, but has a major drawback in the player elimination where one player can get killed early and then gets to watch the rest of the game.