As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UPDATE! Going from Temp to Full Time

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Looking for some advice with regards to having my temp position upgraded to a full time one. First, some background.

I started with my team in February and my hours have been full time right from the get go. 9-6, Mon to Fri. I fit in well and worked as hard as they needed me. Around July, the regular team members were having their mid year review with our manager (who was new to the team at the time, having been around for about 1 1/2 months). As a temp, I didn't need to do the review but she said she wanted to talk to me anyway. My review was about as positive as I could have imagined and in it, she asked if I was interested in a full time position on the team. Of course, I said ABSOLUTELY and she told me she would see what was available salary wise.

Some time in mid-end August, having heard nothing back from her, I casually asked her if there was any news. She told me that she was working on it. Then about a month ago, she was walking by my desk and said "Oh, so have you gotten thing worked out with HR?" I realized what she was talking about after some confusion and said no. She thought I had since I hadn't been getting her to sign my time sheets (I get the supervisor to do it because the manager isn't always around Friday evenings). She told me she would talk to HR about it again.

Now I'm wondering if I should ask her about it again or simply keep quiet and wait for any news. I don't want to come off pushy but I also want to get the job stuff squared up so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Any thoughts?

Update: I was going to try to ask her casually on Thursday night but, well, turns out I didn't have to. I got an email from my temp agency at 5 pm telling me the company had extended a permanent job offer to me. *SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!* I officially start on Monday but my offer sheet won't come until Wednesday, maybe Tuesday. I didn't get many details but I know I'm staying with the team so chances are, I'll be doing nearly the exact same stuff as I was before. Except for a considerable pay raise! Same work, more moneys; it's a beautiful thing. Yay for hard work paying off! And thanks for all the advice! :)

Underdog on

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I did this a few years ago, and while you don't want to bug her all the time, definitely keep asking her how things are going from time to time. If it's been a month since you last heard about it, definitely stop by and ask how things are going. You'll probably have to keep advocating for yourself, but if you keep doing a solid job and keep up a positive relationship with your manager, she shouldn't get annoyed if you check up on your status occasionally. Especially if she's new, she might be getting the runaround from HR, so reminding her that you're still interested in squaring away that full time position will help keep you closer to the top of her priority list.

Are you with a temp agency? If so, it gets more complicated because most agencies require companies to pay a fee in order to hire you on full time (and away from the temp agency). This can make things difficult between managers and HR, and it behooves you to know what your agency's policy is and what HR has to say about hiring you away from the temp agency.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    If you want the position, yes, you should talk to your superior about getting said position.

Being pushy about promotions/raises is, you know, what people that get promotions/raises are good at.

I mean, don't be a dick about it. But if your manager is asking you if you got things worked out with HR about your new position with the company, and you don't actually have a new position at the company? Yes, she wants you to be full time and thought it was already being done.

If it isn't, and she has told you she was expecting it to happen, that means it is on you to follow up and be all "wtf mate?"

But not in those words.

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Keep at it to the point where its on her mind and she's not forgetting to do anything about it or pushing it to a back burner. If you can approach it from a "how is making me permanent going to help out you" perspective, you can really push the issue without getting into the "too pushy" zone, but that depends on your specific circumstances.

nessin on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    Great news up top!

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Congrats! Glad it worked out for you!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.