As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Hey all. This one is really for the PAX veterans. How much spending money should i realistically budget myself? I'm not planning on splashing out on anything super expensive. Will probably eat out most of the time i'm there, but again, nothing overboard. I have a rough idea in mind, but worndering what you experienced heads think. Thanks in advance.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Take a look at the first timer thread (might not be on the first page). I think some people have posted about $$ in there.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Take a look at the first timer thread (might not be on the first page). I think some people have posted about $$ in there.

Awesome. Thanks.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • themacguruthemacguru Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Hey everybody. Is there a place for the teens traveling to get to know each other?

themacguru on
  • WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Esco - If you're talking about stuff you can buy at PAX (like merch and cool stuff), there's little to none. I brought a ton of money the first year, expecting to spend it all on cool video game memorabilia, and spent not a dime. I was disappointed. I wish they had booths to sell statues, action figures, plushies, apparel, etc for the more mainstream stuff.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
    Wolfiee wrote:
    Esco - If you're talking about stuff you can buy at PAX (like merch and cool stuff), there's little to none. I brought a ton of money the first year, expecting to spend it all on cool video game memorabilia, and spent not a dime. I was disappointed. I wish they had booths to sell statues, action figures, plushies, apparel, etc for the more mainstream stuff.

There is a lot on the official PA merch side and a lot of tabletop stuff to buy as well, plus a couple of classic game vendors. Depends on what you like whether or not that seems like a lot.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wolfiee wrote:

odd, i seem to remember quite a few booths selling tshirts, games, and other fun items. bought one of my favorite tshirts--samus aran nouveau--at a booth at last year's east. i'm surprised you couldn't find anything to buy.

that said, pax is not like some comic con events where it's basically one big marketplace. pax is meant to be more of an experience than a shopping trip, so if you're comparing it to a con like that then yeah, i see your point.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • DreggboDreggbo Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    i am just curious, does anyone have any idea what games we might see this year? since turbine is just next door, they are about the only gaming company i can for sure know will show up.

Dreggbo on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Most major game companies will be there for upcoming games or game that have just come out. Expect huge areas from Nintendo, Capcom, EA, so on and so forth.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    is there an ETA on when the schedule for pax east will be out?

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    is there an ETA on when the schedule for pax east will be out?

The soonest will be about a month before the show. You can get a general idea of what you'll see based on prior schedules, though.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    tnxs bro

• WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Wolfiee wrote:

odd, i seem to remember quite a few booths selling tshirts, games, and other fun items. bought one of my favorite tshirts--samus aran nouveau--at a booth at last year's east. i'm surprised you couldn't find anything to buy.

that said, pax is not like some comic con events where it's basically one big marketplace. pax is meant to be more of an experience than a shopping trip, so if you're comparing it to a con like that then yeah, i see your point.
    I think it's because my friend dragged me to Anime Boston one year and I saw all the merch they had and expected PAX to have the same the first year I went. I know they have stuff to buy, but like zerzhul said, it's really mostly table top stuff and smaller games.

I wanted to buy Halo, GOW, COD, Xbox stuff really.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure where to ask so I will ask HERE!

What in the world is the PokeCrawl I have seen mentioned? I didn't seea thread for it.

DaemonSadi wrote:
    I'm not sure where to ask so I will ask HERE!

What in the world is the PokeCrawl I have seen mentioned? I didn't seea thread for it.

It's the annual pre PAX East barcrawl. There's no thread yet, it will be up sometime this month.

• lullaflylullafly Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Hi everyone!

I'm going to be driving to PAX EAST with three other people and none of us have been to PAX before (or Boston for that matter). We were slackers when it came to booking a hotel and are now facing slim pickings. The one remaining hotel with available/reserved rooms for the whole event is a bit too pricey for us. So we found a cheap one about 20 miles away in Lexington and plan to just make the daily commute in our car.

There are still other hotels with availability closer to the convention center, but they're quite a bit more money. My question is... are we crazy for staying at a hotel so far away? Or are there others out there who do this?

My other concerns involve daily traffic (I hear Easter weekend is busy with travelers) and parking at or near the convention center. I see that parking at the BCEC is $25 for valet or $12 self-park, but I'm wondering if the lot typically fills up completely for PAX.

Any help/advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!

lullafly on
  • LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    Usually I park outside of the city and take the T in. You can park at Alewife and take the red line all the way to South Station and switch over to the Silver Line so you don't have to deal with Boston traffic. Personally, I'm driving from Springfield, MA and parking at Riverside station and paying 3 days worth which is about 20 bucks altogether. However, most subways do stop running between 12am-12:30am

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    As someone who lives in Boston and has been to the last two PAX Easts, I'll put in my two cents.

You may regret being so far out of the city. The main benefit of being closer in is the proximity to public transportation. True, you can park in the city, but after three parties and a concert, driving back may not be a great option :) My opinion is that you should try to find a place off any T line - even from Riverside (about the furthest from the BCEC as you can get), it would only be about an hour on the T. Driving in will require navigating Boston streets and finding parking. It's doable, but may take 30 minutes to an hour, especially on Friday when traffic may be bad.

I cannot really say for parking near the center - there is a large lot, but I always took the T in. Can anyone who drove in comment?

e2TtnRd.png
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    I would also recommend you check www.airbnb.com. I would getting a room a block from a T station for what it would have cost for one night at a hotel.

• ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    nvm, i'll just wait til the schedule is posted.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • lullaflylullafly Registered User new member
    Thanks for the advice, guys! We're going to pay a little more to stay at a closer hotel that also has a free shuttle to a T station so we won't have to do any driving in Boston.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    lullafly - Just wanted to add a couple of comments:

- In 2010, we stayed in Cambridge right across from a T station. In theory, this was a good idea. In practice, the T stopped running before we wanted to leave each night, and we had to do sad things like leave the concert early and stop playing games. Be very aware of the operating hours of the T and how that will impact your plans.

- Keep checking the hotel site for rooms that pop up, especially in the weeks closing in on the event. I snagged the Westin last year about a week before PAX. It was so, so worth it. We parked in a lot about a half-mile and didn't touch the car until we were leaving on Sunday. We gamed until 2AM and weren't worrying about transit, cars, traffic, parking, or anything besides PAX. :)

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    There's always cabs, too, if you want to stay up past the subway's bedtime.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    There's always cabs, too, if you want to stay up past the subway's bedtime.

Indeed. Like I said in the hotels thread, I don't know how it worked out at the Hynes in 2010, but at the BCEC last year, there was a highly efficient cab line. Obviously, if you wait until the concerts end, and a thousand people all leave simultaneously, you're going to be waiting for a long time, but if you leave before the encores, you should be in good shape.

• NalanthiNalanthi Registered User new member
    I am looking to run several tabletop RPGs at Pax East. Is there a way to schedule those or do they have to be done through freeplay?

Nalanthi wrote:
    I am looking to run several tabletop RPGs at Pax East. Is there a way to schedule those or do they have to be done through freeplay?

If you're not an exhibitor, there's no way to schedule tables for the freeplay sections. You can run whatever you want though if there's space. You might be able to form a group in the tabletop freeplay thread.

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Nalanthi wrote:

Also, there was a LOT of space for freeplay last year. We came back around 11:30pm on Saturday night and there were still thousands down in the pit. I believe the area allocated to freeplay and card games was around 90,000 square feet (but don't quote me on that).

Plus, you can always throw a game down in the Westin or the BCEC itself.

e2TtnRd.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Just an FYI, the Convention Center Authority tweeted today that at 10AM tomorrow at the BCEC they'll be making a PAX East/gaming announcement. I'm planning on going and I'll let you all know what the announcement is.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • NonamekenNonameken Registered User regular
    Hello, Can someone please help me here. I have been trying to get a hold a of someone regarding the Media Registration. I have submitted all the required information the first week that it opened. I have since been trying to get a confirmation that it was received that that everything was in order. I have tried, sending three emails now, pax media and one to Pax questions, as well as tweets to the twitter account. I have not gotten any response from anyone.

So has anyone been able to get through to them, and what did they say? I had an easier time getting E3 passes than Pax east. I know it was the same way last year as well.

Thank you for your time.

• BlamemonkeyBlamemonkey Registered User regular
    Dear Nonameken,
    No pax for you try again in one year.

• BlamemonkeyBlamemonkey Registered User regular
    Ok so I pulled this from the PAX site

Are you part of a commercial media organization? Qualified journalists and photographers may submit a registration request to receive a free media badge for PAX East 2012!

Working journalists who wish to register for a media badge must first submit a media registration request. Requests must include:

Step One: Please submit your request through our online Media Registration Form.
    Step Two: Submit the following materials either by mail or fax:

Business License for Media Outlet
    Letter on Company Letterhead from Editor
    A photocopy of your business card
    Photocopies or links of two (2) articles written by you in the past 3 months
    Photocopy of a drivers license or other government id
    The Bohle Company
    c/o Derek Asato/Luis Levy
    1625 Stanford Street
    Santa Monica, CA 90404
    or by fax:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

if you have done all this and still no joy

Dear Nonameken,

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    gigabrain wrote:
    Just an FYI, the Convention Center Authority tweeted today that at 10AM tomorrow at the BCEC they'll be making a PAX East/gaming announcement. I'm planning on going and I'll let you all know what the announcement is.

Any good news yet? :)

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    gigabrain wrote:

Slept through my alarm so I had to follow it on twitter but PAX East is staying in Boston through 2023!!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    gigabrain wrote:
    gigabrain wrote:

Slept through my alarm so I had to follow it on twitter but PAX East is staying in Boston through 2023!!

source:

Dear Nonameken,

No need for a troll, dood. Carry on.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    gigabrain wrote:
    gigabrain wrote:

*Happy dance!!*

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SmallLady wrote:
    Can PAX East be in New York, Chicago, or [Insert your little town here]

Nope! Penny Arcade has contracted the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center until 2023! So while we understand it would be awesome if PAX came to you, you're just going to have to come to PAX instead.

Update! :D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I wonder, do you all think that all the dates have been determined yet? Or at least determined for a couple years out at least?
    Geez! Guess I'll be going to Boston every year for the next 11 years!

waterbottles on
    I wonder, do you all think that all the dates have been determined yet? Or at least determined for a couple years out at least?

It's pretty likely that the dates are set. If not all of them, at least a bunch of them.

I do not think they have the dates set. Every year they have to readjust. To not compete with other events going on. They probably have a general idea, but not official dates.