As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I wonder, do you all think that all the dates have been determined yet? Or at least determined for a couple years out at least?
    Geez! Guess I'll be going to Boston every year for the next 11 years!

I would not know, but my guess is that some of the future dates, possibly next few years, are already set. I doubt they can plan further than that though. As a point of reference, here's the through process that went into scheduling PAX East 2012. You can somewhat skip right ahead to Khoo's statement.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nonameken wrote:
    I wonder, do you all think that all the dates have been determined yet? Or at least determined for a couple years out at least?
    Geez! Guess I'll be going to Boston every year for the next 11 years!

I do not think they have the dates set. Every year they have to readjust. To not compete with other events going on. They probably have a general idea, but not official dates.
    Based solely on precedence of events registering a convention center, they often set the dates for many years in the future. It would not be unlikely to have a date set for every year of the contract. Though this is all speculation, of course.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone here knows but is there any problem with distributing postcards/leaflets? I know that of course those with booths distribute all these kind of things but what about those who couldn't afford a booth this year but want to try to get their stuff seen? We're a small studio just starting out and would like to use some of our time at PAX to hopefully get some people to see our stuff. Would there be any problem in handing out cards/fliers to willing people as they pass by us?

• Options
    waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess I'm just so excited for PAX that I want all the dates (and I was just curious).
    I did find out that next year's PAX East is 3/22/2013-3/24/2013 (at least according to the MCCA website)

waterbottles on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    lillb wrote:
    Not sure if anyone here knows but is there any problem with distributing postcards/leaflets? I know that of course those with booths distribute all these kind of things but what about those who couldn't afford a booth this year but want to try to get their stuff seen? We're a small studio just starting out and would like to use some of our time at PAX to hopefully get some people to see our stuff. Would there be any problem in handing out cards/fliers to willing people as they pass by us?

AFAIK this generally isn't considered okay, at least inside the convention.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    lillb wrote:

If you're a company raising awareness for your wares, I'm pretty sure that would constitute exhibiting and would require some sort of agreement with PAX staff.

• Options
    millionth murraymillionth murray Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Hi all,

With Pax East nigh, my friends and I have been shooting around ideas for staying in communication with each other if we're all off doing our own thing at the con. I've been toying with the idea of wearing my phone on my wrist so that even if I don't hear it, there's no way not to notice the vibration from an incoming call/text.

That said, I've yet to find a decent armband case that supports this idea. The ones I've seen all have thick plastic over the screen or don't stay in place especially well. Anyone have experience with a case that would meet my needs? Alternatively, if there are any craftsfolk out there, how feasible would it be to make something to suit my idea?

I've got an iPhone 4, FYI. The topic is titled with smartphone to cast as wide a net as possible on this for ideas.

millionth murray on
  • Options
    CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Nonameken wrote:
    I do not think they have the dates set. Every year they have to readjust. To not compete with other events going on. They probably have a general idea, but not official dates.
    Based solely on precedence of events registering a convention center, they often set the dates for many years in the future. It would not be unlikely to have a date set for every year of the contract. Though this is all speculation, of course.

I bet that the dates will eventually settle down. My guess is that it gets easier to schedule years in advance, while just starting out the schedule is subject to existing conventions.

[E]
  • Options
    NonamekenNonameken Registered User regular
    lillb wrote:

It would all depend on how you do it. If stand around and say here have this. That would not be okay I am sure. However, bring some cards and stuff along. You will have plenty of time to talk and chat with people. Nothing wrong with bringing out your info during a normal conversation. Just do not solicit.

I have seen many people do this over the years.

• Options
    SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Is there decent reception at EAST? because its awful at Prime.

qEGfoNG.png

• Options
    For Verizon, reception was fantastic at East last year. Verizon and ATT had mobile base stations on site to expand coverage at the BCEC.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    SpicyMeats wrote:
    I personally had a lot of issues. I didn't have a smartphone last year but I often saw decent reception but it wouldn't work well at all. Not sure if it was my phone or the place but I've never seen that elsewhere so I'm going to say that reception sucked at PAX East for me. I'm on Virgin Mobile so I can only really speak for them/sprint's network.

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    lillb wrote:
    We clearly do not have a direct answer to this question. I've heard several responses in past years from PAX authorities, but nobody who has posted in this issue so far is such. To get an official answer, either wait for an moderator, PA staff member, or Reed staff member, or email pax_questions@paxsite.com

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    As a non-exhibitor who hands out a lot of business cards/flyers at Prime, I have never been stopped. However, I am very, very careful not to offend or overstep my bounds.

- Wheaton's Law is always in effect.
    - Stick to the public areas of the convention center when you paper, rather than the areas where your badge is required.
    - Do NOT interject your product into a paid exhibitor's presentation, and do NOT bother people who don't want to be bothered. (If someone else is pitching, don't interrupt.)
    - DO NOT advertise for E4All for Fatal1ty.
    - If you have any questions during the show, head to the Info Booth. Those guys have all the answers and then some.
    - Wheaton's Law!!!

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The guy I went to East 2011 with had ATT and was dropping to EDGE pretty often. My experience at Prime 2011 was exactly the same as my experience at East 2011 .... I had zero issues on Verizon while others were having issues on other carriers.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hi guys , i went to pax easr last year and i saw there was a pax east 2011 app and it was the most usefully thing ever, i would not have found 90% of the con without it. so that being said does any one know of any other apps that would be great to use during pax for things such as navigation, food, keeping track of all the new people you've met or just a really usefully app you have

sillyzombie666 on
    I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade will likely be announcing soon what the official PAX app will be. :-)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Whether unofficial or official, the best PAX App over the past couple of years has been Guidebook.

Nick Swar does a great Android PAX App called "PAX Assistant" which has some advantages over Guidebook like some additional built in twitter support and an intuitive schedule highlighter. I'm not sure if he will be doing PAX Assistant for East 2012, but if he does I'll be picking it up.

There's a "myBCEC" app that is awesome for navigating the BCEC, and it also has local nearby attractions, parking info, and other info about the convention center.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    SpicyMeats wrote:

I did fine with AT&T phone coverage, but WiFi was pretty bad from thousands of people trying to use it at once..

• Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    @millionth murray

A quick search around brings me to this for something specifically made for your wrist. From the sound of it it doesn't have a screen protector. : http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=204072856&c=10260#BVRRWidgetID

However, if you're looking more for an Armband I own the following: http://grantwoodstore.com/Tuneband-for-iPhone-4-and-iPhone/M/B003ZZKL6U.htm

I wanted one for when I worked out and spent a while researching something that worked well that didn't chaffe and would hold the phone well in place. I'm very happy with this product. Some things to note:
    - The holder probably won't fit around any case you already have on it. The rubber isn't paper thin but not as strong as a hard plastic case
    - There is no plastic screen covering. This is a double edge sword. On one hand you can interact much easier and no worry of condensation build up behind it that could damage your phone. On the other, there is no protection there and it is open face, so there is always the risk it could fall out.

I've never had an issue with the phone falling out, but I wasn't in a crowded environment either.

Grantwood is also fairly awesome in that if the stap they send is too big/small they will send you a replace ment free of charge and shipping. They also sent me some free screen protectors.

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I used 'conventionist' last year and it was somewhat useful.

Also Bump can be helpful for quickly swapping info w/ new people you meet (assuming they also have a smartphone).

Also my friends and I have board game apps on our phones (i.e. carcassone, ticket to ride, etc) that are great for the queue room so every time they decide to condense the line you're not scrambling trying to pick up and move 40 carcassone tiles while people flow around you...

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options

Conventionist is now Guidebook.

• Options
    I second Guidebook. I also downloaded Hopstop which is supposed to be more accurate on T and public transit information than the MBTA app/site. I have yet to use it but throwing it out there.

I DO reccomend Game.minder. Saves time than having to write down games you like or tried. Handelabra will have a booth so you can try it out yourself while you're there but I recommend it ahead of time!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Whether unofficial or official, the best PAX App over the past couple of years has been Guidebook.

This, this, a thousand times this. I've used Guidebook the past two PAX Easts and I'll certainly use it this year! (Unless they release some amazing, official app that works on my Android phone.)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:

ahh, thanks for the heads up. haven't used it since last year and didn't realize the name had changed.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    another fan of conventionist-turned-guidebook. just thinking about pax apps is making me all aflutter about the schedule and maps being released! we're less than two months out, it won't be too much longer now.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    At Prime 2011, there was an official app that wasn't guidebook, and it was awful. It suffered from being rushed and released right before the con while seemingly incomplete. @Robert Khoo mentioned PA switching away from the "official" app pretty quickly and going back to Guidebook. It wouldn't surprise me to hear Guidebook be announced as the official app, but it's also possible that whomever made the app for Prime 2011 might have gotten their shit together to produce something better.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote:

thats why i couldn't find it

• Options
    zerzhul wrote:

Nick Swar does a great Android PAX App called "PAX Assistant" which has some advantages over Guidebook like some additional built in twitter support and an intuitive schedule highlighter. I'm not sure if he will be doing PAX Assistant for East 2012, but if he does I'll be picking it up.

There's a "myBCEC" app that is awesome for navigating the BCEC, and it also has local nearby attractions, parking info, and other info about the convention center.

pax assistant was a life saver

• Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    SpicyMeats wrote:

I did fine with AT&T phone coverage, but WiFi was pretty bad from thousands of people trying to use it at once..

I was roaming last year and had a good experience, but kept it to a minimum due to cost. Wi-Fi connected but would not work, as per the reason above I'm guessing.

Can you imagine the infrastructure required to support everyone at PAX with responsive Wi-Fi? My God, it's full of stars.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    SpicyMeats wrote:

I was roaming last year and had a good experience, but kept it to a minimum due to cost. Wi-Fi connected but would not work, as per the reason above I'm guessing.

Can you imagine the infrastructure required to support everyone at PAX with responsive Wi-Fi? My God, it's full of stars.

I had no issues with Sprint last year... and the Wi-Fi seemed solid whenever i needed to use it. [Of course, I only used it whilst Recording/Streaming a podcast at about 9:30pm..]

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I hope the Guidebook devs make a WP7 Guidebook app for East. Was totally jealous of my friend's Android and fully working version of Guidebook during Prime '11.

Traitorious on
  • Options
    d3r371ctd3r371ct pittsburghRegistered User regular
    I hope the Guidebook devs make a WP7 Guidebook app for East. Was totally jealous of my friend's Android and fully working version of Guidebook during Prime '11.

ditto.

lemon curry?
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    I have tried contacting pax_questions via e-mail about getting a refund for my 3 day badges since I can't go anymore. Now that the forums don't allow selling of badges due to counterfeits and whatnot, what else can I do since they have not contacted me in the 5 days it's been since I e-mailed them.

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    I have tried contacting pax_questions via e-mail about getting a refund for my 3 day badges since I can't go anymore. Now that the forums don't allow selling of badges due to counterfeits and whatnot, what else can I do since they have not contacted me in the 5 days it's been since I e-mailed them.

As far as this forum is allowed to openly sanction, that's about it. pax_questions gets a LOT of email, so you could try emailing again... maybe yours got lost in the shuffle.

• Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Gah! I'm all sorted. flights booked. Hotel sorted. 3 day pass on its way. Spending money budgeted for.

All i need now is to master time travel :D

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    As far as this forum is allowed to openly sanction, that's about it. pax_questions gets a LOT of email, so you could try emailing again... maybe yours got lost in the shuffle.
    My guess is that their current turnaround on email is probably in the 7-10 business day range right now, and it'll get worse the closer to the show we get. Waiting 5 days isn't very long, but it shouldn't hurt to email a second time.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Is there any kind of photography policy in place? I take my DSLR with me everywhere and I just want to make sure that there are not areas I am not allowed to take photos in.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Is there any kind of photography policy in place? I take my DSLR with me everywhere and I just want to make sure that there are not areas I am not allowed to take photos in.
    As far as I know you should be fine unless some one or booth or panel specifically tells you no. If you're curtious and follow Wheaton's Law you should be okay.

• Options
    shiralilyshiralily Registered User new member
    Anyone know anything on who the keynote speaker is? Can't find any info anywhere!