As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• GoggalorGoggalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Going through the threads and the schedule, I can't seem to find anything related to this, but it would help me plan out what to do between panels (And I'm sure everyone else would be interested too).

What are the formats of each tournament? 1v1, 4p ffa, special rules, Many of these games can be played with 4 people at a time (and they are more fun that way!) and there are always settings like items in Brawl.
    Will they be best of 1/3? The SC2 tournament last year was bo1 in the early rounds, but this was only known through word of mouth and there were no announcements or formats posted anywhere. People just simply knew. I'm not arguing against such a rule, but it's definitely a shocker to learn about the format of a tournament after the match has started!
    Will there be time limits? I would not want to deny someone else a spot just to leave early (ie. waiting too long for other games to finish).
    Will players be allowed to change the controller button configurations from the default? Always important to know
    Will custom sticks/controllers/keyboard+mouse be allowed? It's not interesting for me to play against people who are so devoted that they'd bring their own sticks and can destroy me in any game in an instant
    Any specificity on the versions/consoles? For example, ssf4 arcade edition can be on xbox 360 or ps3

SC2/League of Legends:
    Being that these are already or increasingly becoming spectator games, is there going to be a way to spectate or watch the final few games (perhaps with commentary)?

I would like to have a set action plan before the start of the show and answering these questions would greatly help me figure out what I want to do. Last minute surprises should be good surprises, like presents! But not like bad surprises, like when you get 6 pooled and the other guy goes "oh yea, we changed the format to best of 1" right as his zerglings come running into your base!

I understand that many things aren't finalized yet and people are still working hard on the schedule and the show so no rush!

Goggalor on
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    I unfortunately only have a Saturday pass; will I still be able to register for tournaments or will all the spots already be gone on Friday?

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Goggalor: Wait for the tourney threads to show up. They'll have all the rules on them. As for commentary, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about that being the case.

EQV: Signups for all single-day tourneys are day-of.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm sure this has been mentioned at some point, but i can't track it down. what are the badge will call hours on thursday? i'm thinking of buying a friday pass for my brother and i'd like to just pick it up myself on thursday since i'll already be checked into the westin.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • TJBrady22TJBrady22 Registered User regular
    Last year, if I recall, tabletop gamers could go in and start playing at like 10am on the friday. Will this happen again this year? I have no reason to stand in line and rush the expo floor, so I thought I'd get some fun in with friends.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    TJBrady22 wrote: »
    Last year, if I recall, tabletop gamers could go in and start playing at like 10am on the friday. Will this happen again this year? I have no reason to stand in line and rush the expo floor, so I thought I'd get some fun in with friends.

All of pax opens at 10am. That includes the tabletop space.

For those looking for the full PAX East Maps, they are now available via the mobile guidebook site (and the downloaded guide).

They'll probably be up on paxsite eventally, but for now: http://m.guidebook.com/1782/maps/

zerzhul wrote: »
    For those looking for the full PAX East Maps, they are now available via the mobile guidebook site (and the downloaded guide).

They'll probably be up on paxsite eventally, but for now: http://m.guidebook.com/1782/maps/

last piece in the planning puzzle, hooray! thanks for sharing this info!

7YIpfE5.png
  • 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I will be taking amtrak, and will to be arriving at South Station on Friday (4/6). Last year, I took a cab from South Station to my hotel, and it cost about $7. This year, I'm thinking about trying the subway. Would I be able to take it from South Station to the Renaissance? What's the closest stop to that hotel, and how much would it cost? Does anyone else use the subway instead of a cab? Thanks!

rd4rhJL.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Quick question: what's the policy on bringing snacks in with your backpack? Permitted or not?

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Quick question: what's the policy on bringing snacks in with your backpack? Permitted or not?

I've never had a problem with this. As long as you're not selling the food in your backpack you shouldn't have a problem :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    3ricG wrote: »
    I will be taking amtrak, and will to be arriving at South Station on Friday (4/6). Last year, I took a cab from South Station to my hotel, and it cost about $7. This year, I'm thinking about trying the subway. Would I be able to take it from South Station to the Renaissance? What's the closest stop to that hotel, and how much would it cost? Does anyone else use the subway instead of a cab? Thanks!

Take the Silver line (SL1 or SL2) to Silver Line Way. It's practically on top of the place. It's $2 each way. It's not really a subway, it's a bus.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

I've never had a problem with this. As long as you're not selling the food in your backpack you shouldn't have a problem :)

Fantastic, thanks!

• 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    antherem wrote: »

Take the Silver line (SL1 or SL2) to Silver Line Way. It's practically on top of the place. It's $2 each way. It's not really a subway, it's a bus.

Ahhh, okay. Do the busses arrive frequently?

rd4rhJL.png
  • EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Goggalor: Wait for the tourney threads to show up. They'll have all the rules on them. As for commentary, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about that being the case.

Thanks. Are the handheld consoles/games provided at the tourney or do we have to bring our own? What about the Handheld Lounge?

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
    antherem wrote: »

Ahhh, okay. Do the busses arrive frequently?

silver line stops and schedules

7YIpfE5.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    As I have exams coming up I am forced to ask, is there any way to scrub PAX from my brain for a week or two? I can't concentrate when I think about meeting people who've influenced my life so much.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • JuandeJuande Registered User regular
    One question (didnt found an answer). How do I enter a console tournament? Thanks in advance.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Juande wrote: »
    One question (didnt found an answer). How do I enter a console tournament? Thanks in advance.

Tournament Signups happen the Day-Of, when the Convention Center opens.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    What's the deal with getting people to sign things at a booth. Is one or two things the limit or does it vary booth to booth?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What's the deal with getting people to sign things at a booth. Is one or two things the limit or does it vary booth to booth?

It can vary, but remember Wheaton's Law, and also remember...giving Jonathan Coulton 20 bucks can greatly improve your chances of getting what you want :P

(Reference here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fZFleLwyA)

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    gigabrain wrote: »
    It can vary, but remember Wheaton's Law, and also remember...giving Jonathan Coulton 20 bucks can greatly improve your chances of getting what you want :P

Unless its to star in a Paul and Storm tribute band.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    mgriff3456 wrote: »

In that case they give YOU 20 dollars.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

So sad there wont be a musical guest panel, hope the nerdcore one will be as full of chuckles.

So what is the PC room between the exhibition hall and tabletop? That the new BYOC area or something else?

RevGutter on
    RevGutter wrote: »

So sad there wont be a musical guest panel, hope the nerdcore one will be as full of chuckles.

So what is the PC room between the exhibition hall and tabletop? That the new BYOC area or something else?

That's BYOC + PC Freeplay

• cccoreyyyycccoreyyyy Registered User new member
    Hey PAX cant wait till the big show anyways i have a question i go with a group of my friends and they dont i dont have that shiney sticker they have on their badges does that matter?

cccoreyyyy wrote: »
    Hey PAX cant wait till the big show anyways i have a question i go with a group of my friends and they dont i dont have that shiney sticker they have on their badges does that matter?

I would bet a /lot/ that it matters. Email [email protected] if you feel your badges are in error with the exact details of your issue.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey all. 2nd PAX, first post.
    Just got my badge in the mail today, the BCEC info on it said that there's a Bioware Base and Kickstarter Lounge located on level 1. Apparently both of these are listed on the map, too. Anyone heard anything about these?

Crippl3 wrote: »
    Hey all. 2nd PAX, first post.
    Just got my badge in the mail today, the BCEC info on it said that there's a Bioware Base and Kickstarter Lounge located on level 1. Apparently both of these are listed on the map, too. Anyone heard anything about these?

No details yet afaik.

• LavadmLavadm Registered User regular
    http://m.guidebook.com/1782/maps/

For anyone looking for a full map.

Lavadm wrote: »

That was already posted, on this page even ;)

zerzhul wrote: »
    Lavadm wrote: »

That was already posted, on this page even ;)

Shhh, no one knows that.

• Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    So I have my badges from the mail....is there a place I can buy a badge holder to wear around my neck?

So I have my badges from the mail....is there a place I can buy a badge holder to wear around my neck?

At the event you will receive your lanyard. (The badge holder to wear around your neck :D)

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    And while it's too late to get one in time for this PAX East, perhaps you should look at a stylish Knitted Steel lanyard for next time.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    total pax n00b here... i was just curious to find out if it is difficult to get access to the PC's (freeplay) should i expect to have a wait if i don't get there early each day?

also i saw someone talking about making sure to bring a bag to carry items you acquire on the floor.. what sort of swag can i expect???? ::rubs hands together and laughs maniacally::

THANKS!!!

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    rewar wrote: »
    total pax n00b here... i was just curious to find out if it is difficult to get access to the PC's (freeplay) should i expect to have a wait if i don't get there early each day?

also i saw someone talking about making sure to bring a bag to carry items you acquire on the floor.. what sort of swag can i expect???? ::rubs hands together and laughs maniacally::

THANKS!!!

Sometimes there may be a wait for PC Freeplay, but if you check in with them they will likely be able to tell you how long.

As for SWAG, it could be anything from a button to a t-shirt to a swanky computer. Though, you'll have to work for anything on the swanky computer end of the scale.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • jshirlandjshirland Registered User regular
    EQV wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »

Thanks. Are the handheld consoles/games provided at the tourney or do we have to bring our own? What about the Handheld Lounge?

I've participated in several handheld tournaments, and as far as I know, you will have to bring your own system. But they do have a collection of games that you can check out. However, if you're going to play in a tournament, I recommend bringing your own copy of the game, if you have it. One of the tournaments I played in was Puzzle Quest 2 for the Nintendo DS, and the games available for checkout only had level 10 characters saved on them. (Max level is 50.)

The Handheld Lounge is basically just a casual freeplay area for people to meet up and play whatever they want, so checking out games would be fine for that.

• jshirlandjshirland Registered User regular
    Does anybody know anything about the "League Block" tabletop tournaments?

• blackstock6blackstock6 Registered User new member
    I am taking 2 16 year olds from the sticks to PAX East.Sadly, I got a Priceline Hotel that SAID it had a shuttle, but it doesn't. I have no pass, and I don't care about it at all, I am old. What is the best and safest way to get them back and forth from Fairmont Battery Wharf without going myself? We do not know Boston at all.