Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1246726

Posts

  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Did I miss it or did they not ask about becoming an Omeganaut? 'Cause I didn't see it and I really want a shot!

    hmmmm... i definitely remember there being a checkbox option for omeganaut eligibility, so i'm guessing you just missed it. not sure if it was checked or unchecked by default.

    Oh no! Thanks for the info - Does anyone remember if it was pre-checked or not?

    Who is going to PAX South?
  • LcheeseboyLcheeseboy Registered User
    tvethiopia wrote:
    hmmmm... i definitely remember there being a checkbox option for omeganaut eligibility, so i'm guessing you just missed it. not sure if it was checked or unchecked by default.

    Oh no! Thanks for the info - Does anyone remember if it was pre-checked or not?

    I believe it was, but you should actually be able to check and change it for yourself if it wasn't; just use your email and registration code to sign back into the registration site and hit the "Make Changes" button and it'll still be there.

  • HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    When is BYOC registration expected to open this year? I've been constantly checking now that ticket sales are open

    On the previous page:
    BigRed wrote:
    When's byoc registration going to be up

    Unknown.

    My guess is between now and PAX :P

    Ill inquire as to status and try and get a timeframe.

    Re asking this question as it seems to be the last piece to the ticket puzzle. Do we have any news on BYOC opening up to tickets soon?

    Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Haterot wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Re asking this question as it seems to be the last piece to the ticket puzzle. Do we have any news on BYOC opening up to tickets soon?

    If there was news it would have been posted most likely. Either that or @BigRed is really busy. Both are equally likely ;)

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No news yet.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • PixelKittyPixelKitty Registered User
    SmallLady wrote:
    Your question was moved to the FAQ thread and answered there yesterday.
    Thanks guys for your help! Sorry for the double post a while back, I didn't realize my thread was moved so I posted it again ;) Woops!

  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Did I miss it or did they not ask about becoming an Omeganaut? 'Cause I didn't see it and I really want a shot!

    hmmmm... i definitely remember there being a checkbox option for omeganaut eligibility, so i'm guessing you just missed it. not sure if it was checked or unchecked by default.

    Oh no! Thanks for the info - Does anyone remember if it was pre-checked or not?

    The omeganaut box was not checked by default.

    Spectre-x wrote: »
    You are objectively wrong in this case. You are the silliest goose in the history of everything ever, everywhere, including all possible and impossible alternate realities, timelines, parallel universes, pocket universes and theoretical dream-worlds. You are a nexus of super-wrong, radiating your silly gooseness out over the internet with the force of a trillion supernovas of hyper-incorrectness.
  • gurlgurl Registered User
    edited November 2011
    Hi,
    Our 1st anniversary is coming up next month and as a present I want to get my husband tickets to PAX. I was wondering what the main differences are between PAX Prime and PAX East (minus geography of course). Would we be missing anything at one that would be at the other? Thanks! =)

  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    er ...

    pax isn't a static event - there are different games, concerts, panels, etc. Which city would you like to visit more, Boston or Seattle? :)

    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    Prime is better. It go on first and clean the nerds.

    East is better. It leaves the nerds silky and smooth.

    Oh, really, fool?

    Really!!!!

  • gurlgurl Registered User
    arsonisfun wrote:
    pax isn't a static event - there are different games, concerts, panels, etc. Which city would you like to visit more, Boston or Seattle? :)

    We are in the middle, so both locations. =)

    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I am more interested in is one bigger than the other? Do different game companies go to certain ones and not both? My husband is the bigger gamer in the family so I am stumbling along with this... *blush*

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    gurl wrote:
    arsonisfun wrote:
    pax isn't a static event - there are different games, concerts, panels, etc. Which city would you like to visit more, Boston or Seattle? :)

    We are in the middle, so both locations. =)

    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I am more interested in is one bigger than the other? Do different game companies go to certain ones and not both? My husband is the bigger gamer in the family so I am stumbling along with this... *blush*

    PAX is PAX, you'll have a blast at whichever you choose. The differences OTHER than geography and weather concerns are pretty minor. The differences between Seattle and Boston are likely more dealbreakers for most people. The timeframe means that sometimes Prime will have more games that are closer to their release dates, but both East and Prime have new things on the expo floor.

    The only glaring difference in the actual con itself is just that East has so much more SPACE than Prime. This can make it feel more pleasant to some, or feel more empty to others. East is physically bigger due to having so much more space. Most major game companies go to both now (first east was sorta tentative with some devs). It just depends on what's happening that year.

    I agree with arsonbro, pick the city you want to visit more, and go to the associated PAX.

  • peetsnackpeetsnack Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    gurl wrote:
    Hi,
    Our 1st anniversary is coming up next month and as a present I want to get my husband tickets to PAX. I was wondering what the main differences are between PAX Prime and PAX East (minus geography of course). Would we be missing anything at one that would be at the other? Thanks! =)

    I disagree with everyone. Go to this PAX East. That way you will discover how rad it is, and then you will go to Prime as well, thus saving you any further decision.

    An axiom to follow: The next PAX is the best PAX.

    peetsnack on
    sig-500x80.jpg
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote:
    The next PAX is the best PAX.

    Never was a greater truth spoken.

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Registered User regular
    As far as the Expo Hall goes, Prime has more focus by the big game companies. There is a circuit of electronics/game shows that they do each year and PAX Prime is now sort of the unofficial end to that circuit. East is still developing a place in that circuit, but do to its timing, it doesn't well align with most major developments. The East Expo Hall is still very legitimate, but I believe that the Prime Expo Hall is just grander and filled with a bit more new and exciting stuff.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe

    Robot Ninjas Assassins Twitter
  • mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I saw tickets on sale, however nothing regarding a onsite lanparty... Is there going to be one this year at PAX?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    mpizzi wrote:
    I saw tickets on sale, however nothing regarding a onsite lanparty... Is there going to be one this year at PAX?

    this question has been asked a bunch in the FAQ thread. The current answer is "yes BYOC is happening, no, BYOC tickets are not available yet, stay tuned"

  • pooshpoosh Registered User
    edited November 2011
    I am a sign language interpreter. After watching PAX videos (as I am not able to make it to the real thing), I can't help but wonder if there any attendees that would like/require sign language interpretation of the events. I'm curious if there is any demand. If this is applicable to yourself or someone else, please let me know.

    Thank you!

    poosh on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    poosh wrote:
    I am a sign language interpreter. After watching PAX videos (as I am not able to make it to the real thing), I can't help but wonder if there any attendees that would like/require sign language interpretation of the events. I'm curious if there is any demand. If this is applicable to yourself or someone else, please let me know.

    Thank you!

    I very much suggest you contact pax_question@paxsite.com

    :)

    Hopefully they can tell you more about accommodation plans.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • pooshpoosh Registered User
    SmallLady wrote:
    poosh wrote:
    I am a sign language interpreter. After watching PAX videos (as I am not able to make it to the real thing), I can't help but wonder if there any attendees that would like/require sign language interpretation of the events. I'm curious if there is any demand. If this is applicable to yourself or someone else, please let me know.

    Thank you!

    I very much suggest you contact pax_question@paxsite.com

    :)

    Hopefully they can tell you more about accommodation plans.

    Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find an email :)

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    poosh wrote:
    I am a sign language interpreter. After watching PAX videos (as I am not able to make it to the real thing), I can't help but wonder if there any attendees that would like/require sign language interpretation of the events. I'm curious if there is any demand. If this is applicable to yourself or someone else, please let me know.

    Thank you!

    I very much suggest you contact pax_questions@paxsite.com

    :)

    Hopefully they can tell you more about accommodation plans.
    email fixed (was missing the 's' to make question plural)

    PAX used to have signers at panels. I would very much like to see that return, if for no other reason than that it was hilarious to see Mike and Jerry mess with them (playfully)!

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe

    Robot Ninjas Assassins Twitter
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    ahh you're correct, I miss typed! sorry!

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    PAX used to have signers at panels. I would very much like to see that return, if for no other reason than that it was hilarious to see Mike and Jerry mess with them (playfully)!
    It still does as ADA requires it, but only at panels attended by hearing impaired persons. Any hearing impaired person can ask for an interpreter (email pax_questions@paxsite.com) and PAX will work to accommodate them by providing an interpreter to accompany the attendee to panels (assuming they were notified sufficiently in advance; many weeks advance notice is usually needed).

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Last year when I registered I bought both my own and my bf's tickets at once, and there was only a place for whomever was purchasing the tickets to check off whether or not they wanted to be considered as an Omeganaut. Is that the same this year? I got called last year but declined because it wasn't ME who wanted to be one, but rather my bf. But they just called for me. Is there a way to let them know HE is the one interested even if we buy the tickets together again? I felt bad for saying no after checking it off. :P

    The call from Tyco was awesome though!

    PAX East 2014: Four year PAXiversary! <3

    Mode: Dammit, gotta bake cookies!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    edited November 2011
    Last year when I registered I bought both my own and my bf's tickets at once, and there was only a place for whomever was purchasing the tickets to check off whether or not they wanted to be considered as an Omeganaut. Is that the same this year? I got called last year but declined because it wasn't ME who wanted to be one, but rather my bf. But they just called for me. Is there a way to let them know HE is the one interested even if we buy the tickets together again? I felt bad for saying no after checking it off. :P

    The call from Tyco was awesome though!

    The person who purchases the passes is the only one eligible as far as I know. They have no way of knowing who that second pass is for (you could pick anyone to give the pass to, and if you were a silly goose you could try to sell an omeganaut spot in that case).

    zerzhul on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Last year when I registered I bought both my own and my bf's tickets at once, and there was only a place for whomever was purchasing the tickets to check off whether or not they wanted to be considered as an Omeganaut. Is that the same this year? I got called last year but declined because it wasn't ME who wanted to be one, but rather my bf. But they just called for me. Is there a way to let them know HE is the one interested even if we buy the tickets together again? I felt bad for saying no after checking it off. :P

    The call from Tyco was awesome though!

    The person who purchases the passes is the only one eligible as far as I know. They have no way of knowing who that second pass is for (you could pick anyone to give the pass to, and if you were a silly goose you could try to sell an omeganaut spot in that case).

    perhaps this could be addressed in the future by allowing people to enter names & contact info for each pass at the time of purchase?

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    tvethiopia wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Last year when I registered I bought both my own and my bf's tickets at once, and there was only a place for whomever was purchasing the tickets to check off whether or not they wanted to be considered as an Omeganaut. Is that the same this year? I got called last year but declined because it wasn't ME who wanted to be one, but rather my bf. But they just called for me. Is there a way to let them know HE is the one interested even if we buy the tickets together again? I felt bad for saying no after checking it off. :P

    The call from Tyco was awesome though!

    The person who purchases the passes is the only one eligible as far as I know. They have no way of knowing who that second pass is for (you could pick anyone to give the pass to, and if you were a silly goose you could try to sell an omeganaut spot in that case).

    perhaps this could be addressed in the future by allowing people to enter names & contact info for each pass at the time of purchase?

    I believe someone could do that now by simply purchasing each pass individually. I think the payment info can be different from the contact info.

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I believe the easiest solution to this problem is if you really want to be in the draw for the Omegathon, is to make sure to purchase passes separately.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    That's what I thought. Thanks! I think in the future they should think about allowing each pass bought to have the option to be considered as an Omeganaut, but it's not too big a deal the way it is currently, either.

    PAX East 2014: Four year PAXiversary! <3

    Mode: Dammit, gotta bake cookies!
  • ZiggoZiggo Registered User
    Hey, I saw the post about there being no more buying/selling of tickets on the forum. Last year, the only reason I was able to make it to PAX east was because someone generously sold his pass on the forum for face value instead of on eBay. He even paid for shipping, it was great. Because of him I had a blast, it was like he was santa a few months late. I was thinking about doing the same for somebody else on here if I had the cash, but I take it I can't now. Suggestions?

    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Ziggo wrote:
    Hey, I saw the post about there being no more buying/selling of tickets on the forum. Last year, the only reason I was able to make it to PAX east was because someone generously sold his pass on the forum for face value instead of on eBay. He even paid for shipping, it was great. Because of him I had a blast, it was like he was santa a few months late. I was thinking about doing the same for somebody else on here if I had the cash, but I take it I can't now. Suggestions?

    Unfortunately, due to the extreme counterfeiting issue at PAX Prime, PA and PAX had to take a stand against reselling. They've made it very clear that due to these issues any purchase other than directly from PAX is unsanctioned because they can not be monitored or policed. This obviously has some unfortunate community consequences. I am guessing, though I could be wrong, that discussing pass selling methods will also be frowned upon in the future (as they were in the past, due to being able to use the community route of selling on the forums).

  • ZiggoZiggo Registered User
    Damn. Hm. I'll figure something out. I want to make some other PAXer's weekend like he made mine. Ah well.

    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • VideoGamerYoshiVideoGamerYoshi Registered User
    Hello all. This is my first time going to PAX (At least, I hope I can go this year. Darn you money...), and I was curious about swag. I have never been to a convention at all before, so I was curious about how much swag is given away. I'm not one of those people who want to get every piece of swag in the convention, but it'd be nice to bring something home with me.


    Also, I understand that there is a lan party at PAX, and that it is BYOC. Is there a non-BYOC, or do you have to bring your own pc? Because mine is a little less powerful than a toaster. Thank you!

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General in the treesRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Hello all. This is my first time going to PAX (At least, I hope I can go this year. Darn you money...), and I was curious about swag. I have never been to a convention at all before, so I was curious about how much swag is given away. I'm not one of those people who want to get every piece of swag in the convention, but it'd be nice to bring something home with me.


    Also, I understand that there is a lan party at PAX, and that it is BYOC. Is there a non-BYOC, or do you have to bring your own pc? Because mine is a little less powerful than a toaster. Thank you!

    The swag is mostly tshirts, and the occasional other cool item.

    There are freeplay PC machines that have popular multiplayer games pre-loaded that is separate from BYOC.

    Take a look at the first-timer thread and read through it a bit for some ideas on what to expect. It is over here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149061/east-first-time-to-pax-east-stuff-you-may-want-to-know-lies-within/p1

  • VideoGamerYoshiVideoGamerYoshi Registered User
    zerzhul wrote:
    Hello all. This is my first time going to PAX (At least, I hope I can go this year. Darn you money...), and I was curious about swag. I have never been to a convention at all before, so I was curious about how much swag is given away. I'm not one of those people who want to get every piece of swag in the convention, but it'd be nice to bring something home with me.


    Also, I understand that there is a lan party at PAX, and that it is BYOC. Is there a non-BYOC, or do you have to bring your own pc? Because mine is a little less powerful than a toaster. Thank you!

    The swag is mostly tshirts, and the occasional other cool item.

    There are freeplay PC machines that have popular multiplayer games pre-loaded that is separate from BYOC.

    Take a look at the first-timer thread and read through it a bit for some ideas on what to expect. It is over here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149061/east-first-time-to-pax-east-stuff-you-may-want-to-know-lies-within/p1

    Thank you very much, I will definitely take a look at that thread.

    Cheers!

  • TektonikkTektonikk Registered User regular
    Attending PAX Prime and attending a Tetris Attack tournament was one of the best experiences I've had as a gamer. I have recently just purchased my tickets for East hoping that another tournament will be present. Are there confirmed games for tournaments/console freeplay tournaments for PAX East as of yet? If not, I would like to request one and hope that other people as well would like this. (Oh and sorry in advance if this post isn't in the right place, or if a question was asked like this already, my bad.) Thanks in advance!

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Planning for tournaments has already begun no doubt.

    However what tournaments there will be will likely not be posted until a couple weeks before pax.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • solarnoisesolarnoise Registered User
    Hi SmallLady

    I'm paying for registration for me and my girlfriend for PAX East (it's my Christmas present to her, she's excited) but I'm also a local Boston developer and *may* be getting a developer pass...

    Is it at all possible that I'll be able to get reimbursed for my pre-registration if I end up getting a dev pass? Thanks!

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thats more of a question for pax_questions@paxsite.com

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • solarnoisesolarnoise Registered User
    BigRed wrote:
    Thats more of a question for pax_questions@paxsite.com

    Thanks, I'll email them =)

Sign In or Register to comment.