As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    I do have one more question. We booked at the Park Plaza hotel but it is a bit of a ways away from the convention center and the only direct access is over a turnpike(?). What is the best way to get around?

Like tvethiopia mentioned before, you're rather far away, so your best bet would be a cab.

I don't think I mentioned it, but this handy map is available for those who like maps.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    MrArcys wrote:
    I do have one more question. We booked at the Park Plaza hotel but it is a bit of a ways away from the convention center and the only direct access is over a turnpike(?). What is the best way to get around?

Like tvethiopia mentioned before, you're rather far away, so your best bet would be a cab.

I don't think I mentioned it, but this handy map is available for those who like maps.

the real issue is that there isn't a whole lot of public transportation very close to the bcec (although there's tons near your hotel, none goes to the con directly). if you're not down for at least 15 minutes walking, it gets tricky no matter where you're coming from. i will point out though that the turnpike is not the only way to the bcec from park plaza, you just have to go north a bit and take summer st over.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    What is the latest (time) the shuttles run from the BCEC to hotels?

• WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I generally only use my car for transportation, so I will be driving to BCEC from my hotel everyday. (Got a hotel outside of the city for better rates). BCEC says parking will be $12 and my question is.. does that amount cover all day? Im wondering if Ill be able to come and go throughout the day and not have to fork over $12 per trip. If not I guess I will be seeking out public transportation if I want a bite to eat.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wodrith wrote:
    I generally only use my car for transportation, so I will be driving to BCEC from my hotel everyday. (Got a hotel outside of the city for better rates). BCEC says parking will be $12 and my question is.. does that amount cover all day? Im wondering if Ill be able to come and go throughout the day and not have to fork over $12 per trip. If not I guess I will be seeking out public transportation if I want a bite to eat.

typically those types of prices are "per park". I think they're intending that you park once and leave the car there all day. I doubt it will be an in and out pass, but I certainly could be wrong. If it is, that's good ;)

Guess ill have to contact BCEC then, if good news Ill let everyone know here. :)

Wodrith wrote:
    Guess ill have to contact BCEC then, if good news Ill let everyone know here. :)

It's also possible that they will do something specific for PAX that isn't on their normal set of options. Unfortunately I didn't park a car at the BCEC last year, so I can't speak specifically from experience.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Wodrith wrote:

It's also possible that they will do something specific for PAX that isn't on their normal set of options. Unfortunately I didn't park a car at the BCEC last year, so I can't speak specifically from experience.
    Last year I'm pretty sure they did two different kinds of parking passes, one with In-Out and the other per park. I think the In-Out was something like $45 for the day, but they only had ~10 parking spaces set up for that and they were all taken by 0700 each day.

Wodrith, please report back when you know what the story will be this year. Thank you.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    What is the latest (time) the shuttles run from the BCEC to hotels?

If I remember correctly last year they ran til PAX ended so around 2 or 3

• MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular

I-93 and I-90 are underground in most of the city, so walking isn't much of an issue. I don't know if Park Plaza has a shuttle, but the subway can get you to the convention during the day (however it shuts down after 12:30 AM each night).

• thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    odd question here...

My girlfriend and her sister are coming with me to pax this year. they hand make game-related trinkets (keychains, cell phone carms, pins, etc...) and sell them online, and at other gaming events. They were wondering if it was ok if they brought some of the stuff with them to sell at pax? they wouldnt be trying to set up a table or anything like that, maybe just have some in their bag and if someone asks them about it, they could sell something. I didnt think this was against pax rules, but i didnt see anything about it one way or the other so i figured id ask.

thr4sher wrote:
    odd question here...

My girlfriend and her sister are coming with me to pax this year. they hand make game-related trinkets (keychains, cell phone carms, pins, etc...) and sell them online, and at other gaming events. They were wondering if it was ok if they brought some of the stuff with them to sell at pax? they wouldnt be trying to set up a table or anything like that, maybe just have some in their bag and if someone asks them about it, they could sell something. I didnt think this was against pax rules, but i didnt see anything about it one way or the other so i figured id ask.

I'm fairly certain it is a no-no to sell anything at pax without an exhibitor pass. You could email [email protected] for an official answer though.

zerzhul wrote:
    thr4sher wrote:
    odd question here...

I'm fairly certain it is a no-no to sell anything at pax without an exhibitor pass. You could email [email protected] for an official answer though.

while selling is probably off limits, i would definitely encourage them to bring some business cards to spread around and maybe a couple of samples just to show people.

7YIpfE5.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    The person who purchases the passes is the only one eligible as far as I know. They have no way of knowing who that second pass is for (you could pick anyone to give the pass to, and if you were a silly goose you could try to sell an omeganaut spot in that case).

We bought our passes together. Does that mean the persons name who is on the registration gets two entries to the Omeganaut or there is only one entry per purchase? I am really bummed I won't be considered for the Omeganaut.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    The person who purchases the passes is the only one eligible as far as I know. They have no way of knowing who that second pass is for (you could pick anyone to give the pass to, and if you were a silly goose you could try to sell an omeganaut spot in that case).

We bought our passes together. Does that mean the persons name who is on the registration gets two entries to the Omeganaut or there is only one entry per purchase? I am really bummed I won't be considered for the Omeganaut.

I'm pretty sure that it's just one entry per purchase, for the person's name who made the purchase. If you want separate chances at the Omegathon, buy your passes separately under your own name.

zerzhul on
  • ScirraTomScirraTom Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    My name is Tom and me and my brother run a small London based startup called Scirra. We make Construct 2, which is a program that lets you make games without knowing programming. It's a Windows program and it exports HTML5 games. You can see it at http://www.scirra.com

We've never done shows before, but are interested in doing some this year. I've been looking at PAX as a candidate, what are people's thoughts? Would we be suitable to have a booth there?

Thanks for any comments, positive or negative! We're running on a small budget so want to make sure we pick a suitable and friendly event :)

Tom

ScirraTom on
  • goodtimeshaxorgoodtimeshaxor Registered User regular
    ScirraTom wrote:
    My name is Tom and me and my brother run a small London based startup called Scirra. We make Construct 2, which is a program that lets you make games without knowing programming. It's a Windows program and it exports HTML5 games. You can see it at http://www.scirra.com

We've never done shows before, but are interested in doing some this year. I've been looking at PAX as a candidate, what are people's thoughts? Would we be suitable to have a booth there?

Thanks for any comments, positive or negative! We're running on a small budget so want to make sure we pick a suitable and friendly event :)

Tom

Tom, I would consider PAX as one of the top events for you to consider because it is a large gaming oriented convention and has a wide population of people. GDC is more developer oriented but people who attend GDC should already know how to program.

Indie dev of Lawnmower Challenge | Android Free | iOS | Amazon
    @LunarPeter
  • griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    Seriously excited for PAX. This will be my first one ever and unfortunately it looks like I'll be coming alone. I'll just have to get psyched up and be outgoing to make some friends I can try to hang out with!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • defecakedefecake Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    This is all great info guys! I was a bit daunted because I haven't been to a convention since high school (small, university anime con) and the scope of PAX is intimidating. All the reassurances that the people make the experience and not the panels has me stoked.

Are there any hostels nearby?

What twitter accounts should I follow for the constant updates?

Will I find love I've been reading conflicting info about chairs. I get lower back pains if I stand for too long, so I wanted to bring a very small (fits in a handbag, really) fold-out chair. Yey or ney?

defecake on
  • MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    defecake wrote:
    This is all great info guys! I was a bit daunted because I haven't been to a convention since high school (small, university anime con) and the scope of PAX is intimidating. All the reassurances that the people make the experience and not the panels has me stoked.

Are there any hostels nearby?

Will I find love I've been reading conflicting info about chairs. I get lower back pains if I stand for too long, so I wanted to bring a very small (fits in a handbag, really) fold-out chair. Yey or ney?

Here's a map with the official hotels and the BCEC: http://g.co/maps/adn39
    And here a link to the official reservation site: https://onpeak.compassreservations.com/compass/webdirect.cfm?code=43PXE12
    Most if not all of the hotels near the BCEC are booked but you might get lucky and grab a cancellation. You can always get a non-official hotel but you probably won't get a discounted rate.

The wiki has a Twitter article with all the important Twitter accounts.

I would check with [email protected] about the chair.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
    closest hostel to the bcec is 40 berkeley. if the weather's not terrible you can walk to pax from there, otherwise it's a reasonable cab ride, or you might be able to pick up a pax shuttle from one of the hotels in the area.

7YIpfE5.png
    defecake wrote:

take a look at the twitter thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150620/east-a-twittering-song-twitter-at-pax-east-2012/p1

and the twitter pax wiki page: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Twitter

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    tvethiopia wrote:
    if the weather's not terrible you can walk to pax from there, otherwise it's a reasonable cab ride, or you might be able to pick up a pax shuttle from one of the hotels in the area.

How often do the shuttles run between the hotel and BCEC? And is it one bus per hotel or each bus drops off at multiple hotels?

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    closest hostel to the bcec is 40 berkeley. if the weather's not terrible you can walk to pax from there, otherwise it's a reasonable cab ride, or you might be able to pick up a pax shuttle from one of the hotels in the area.

I am staying at 40 Berkely and it's a ten min walk to the Back Bay Station or you can catch the SL4 bus to South Station. I plan on getting one of those 5 day Charlie Cards and that allows you to use bus and subway unlimited back and forth.

tvethiopia wrote:
    if the weather's not terrible you can walk to pax from there, otherwise it's a reasonable cab ride, or you might be able to pick up a pax shuttle from one of the hotels in the area.

How often do the shuttles run between the hotel and BCEC? And is it one bus per hotel or each bus drops off at multiple hotels?

I believe there are multiple buses that serve multiple hotels. No idea about the schedule though. Someone might have it handy from last year, it will probably be similar.

• squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know anything about organized D&D at Pax East 2012? I am looking to judge and have sent Willi B a couple of e-mails but no response. Was hoping to know for sure before the 3-day passes had been sold out. I definitely want to know before i book my flight.

• squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

I am staying at 40 Berkely and it's a ten min walk to the Back Bay Station or you can catch the SL4 bus to South Station. I plan on getting one of those 5 day Charlie Cards and that allows you to use bus and subway unlimited back and forth.

40 Berkely was an excellent hostel, stayed there last year. There rates have gone up though. I am going to try Friend street hostel this year. It's just off the red line I believe.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    defecake wrote:
    I am sure the chair is fine as long as you only sit where you're not blocking traffic flow. For example: Using it for waiting in lines is fine. Using it in the middle of a walkway between booths of the expo hall is bad. Using it to take a break along one of the outside walls of hallways is fine (as long as you're not blocking a line that is forming).

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • defecakedefecake Registered User new member
    Thanks to all for the info!

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    defecake wrote:
    Thanks to all for the info!

Please consider contacting [email protected] about getting a medical badge. It could help you immensely. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    squeakyboy wrote:
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

40 Berkely was an excellent hostel, stayed there last year. There rates have gone up though. I am going to try Friend street hostel this year. It's just off the red line I believe.

Glad to hear you liked 40 berkeley. I booked mine early so I got what I consider a good rate plus I liked the fact that you can get a private room.

How does Omegathon entrance work? I couldnt get a three-day pass but I got three one-day passes, does that still get me in for it?

Wodrith wrote:
    How does Omegathon entrance work? I couldnt get a three-day pass but I got three one-day passes, does that still get me in for it?

Was the checkbox there for the single day passes? I don't think it is, and I don't think you can get in to the Omegathon without a 3 day pass. I may be mistaken though (about the single day passes, not the checkbox... if the checkbox wasn't there, you can't get in).

• burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    Unfortunately a 3 day badge is required to be considered for an Omegathon entry. It guarantees that the individual will be there all 3 days. At some point in the future, Gabe & Tycho randomly call individuals who opted in (via the badge order form) to see if they'd like to join this PAX's selection of Omeganauts.

Even though you won't be considered this year, I'd recommend still checking out some of the events as they tend to be a blast. And who knows, maybe your turn will come next PAX ;).

Well, I bought 3 one-day passes and I did check the box, but I noticed even if you pick one day, it still stays there. Thats why I was wondering if 3 one-days was just as good or if its just a technical oversite on the reg form, since that pretty much guarantees you there all three days :)

• BombSquadGamingBombSquadGaming Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    I found out about PAX Prime a bit late last year. (it was sold out) so this year, i am hoping to go, because i always thought that the big conventions were all in LA and NY and what not, but lo and behold, there is actually one within 20 miles!!
    but that is beside the point, my big questions, are:

--how much is a 3 day pass, and when do they go on sale?

--I am 15 years old. is there any restrictions,difficulties, or anything of that sort when i go there?

--how much is the stuff there, like merch and whatnot? (on average)

thanks for the help. hope i get a reply!

BombSquadGaming on
    the PAX Prime FAQ will go up shortly after PAX East ends.

In general:

1) they go on sale about a month after East, last year's 3-day passes sold out in 22 days so expect that to speed up. Pay attention to @official_pax on twitter for sales.

2) it's pretty cheap as far as cons go. Last year's prime 3-day tickets were $60, this year's east are $65. They may go up, or not, but likely not by much.

3) follow the forums and the twitter feeds IMMEDIATELY after PAX East ends

also, take a look at last year's FAQ thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/139422/pax-prime-2011-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here/p1

and last year's first timer thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/140588/pax-wisdom-and-first-timer-advice-thread/p1

for a lot of very useful information. Things won't match up EXACTLY since it's not the same year, but a lot of the info is very good.

• BombSquadGamingBombSquadGaming Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    I found out about PAX Prime a bit late last year. (it was sold out) so this year, i am hoping to go, because i always thought that the big conventions were all in LA and NY and what not, but lo and behold, there is actually one within 20 miles!!

--I am 15 years old. is there any restrictions,difficulties, or anything of that sort when i go there?

BombSquadGaming on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular

3 day passes are already sold out, they went on sale in early November.

You may have issues for booths with M-rated games.

Merch varies by the vendor and what you are looking to buy. Figure on T-Shirts in the $15-20 range. Stickers/etc for a few bucks.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.