As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm [Kingdom], he's [Hearts], and that's [Thread].

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So, I started on Critical mode.

This was obviously a huge goddamn mistake, because after the QTE where you get the free hits, I was no-hit by Twilight thorn. I was killed before I could hit him again.

Critical Mode is basically glass cannon mode. I mean, the bosses alter the way their AI works in regards to what attacks they'll do more frequently, and they have Proud Mode HP levels; but at the same time you do more damage to them.

Plus Critical Mode starts you out with Lucky Lucky x 2, MP Hastera, and Draw, among a few other abilities and 50 AP; you can't deny how good that is. I got as far as beating Olympus Colliseum's first visit (beating the Hydra) before taking a break for a more leisurely playthrough. The mode makes up for how fast you die by giving you way more drops with the Lucky Lucky x 2, so potions are almost never an issue. The worst negative is the slower HP progression with Bonus levels, not to mention you only get half of what you'd get in other modes (around 60 max HP instead of 120), which is why Once More and Second Chance are extremely vital.

Honestly people are having more trouble with the level 1 Critical Mode run. Now *THAT* is an insane challenge.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh my god. Land of the dragons does NOT fuck around on critical. The lancers twoshot you.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Lancers get me good until the reaction command. If you think they're bad though, just wait until the Fat Heartless. Those guys *REALLY* two-shot you. Anyway I hope you chose the Shield Dream weapon, because you want Once More and Second Chance ASAP. Once you get those I heard Critical is extremely manageable, save for a few bonus bosses.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    I did choose shield. And you know, I have never once had problems with large bodies.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Birth by Sleep is different.

I probably wasn't supposed to get to level 30 before the end of the second world I went to but I couldn't stop leveling and combining skills.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If that's ever a concern, Critical gives you the Zero XP ability, so you can level commands without leveling your character.

Or just level commands on the Command Board.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Maybe for my subsequent playthroughs. Right now I'd just love to know of any particularly useful skills from merging I should look for early on.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Maybe for my subsequent playthroughs. Right now I'd just love to know of any particularly useful skills from merging I should look for early on.

Get several different Sliding Dash or Fire Dash skills; you can chain them in mid air to reach platforms with treasures.

There's a guide on gamefaqs with every possible combination for synthesis, with extra abilities included.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Finally had the chance to beat KH II on my Proud run last night after seven consecutive days of work that left me feeling too exhausted to play and enjoy the game. The final battle was just as hectic as I remembered and the ending reminded me of one of the reasons why I like KH II so much.
    "Yea, best happy ending ever without any bittersweet moments to bring me down! ...Wait, what's this, a message? No, no, you can't cliffhanger this moment! No, don't pan away, WHAT'S IN THE MESSAGE! NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!" -My 2006 version of myself creeping back in after watching the standard ending

After that trip down memory lane I reloaded my save and tried out the Lingering Will fight for the first time ever. Now I am realistic enough to know I was not going to win on the first try but I've seen the Youtube videos on this battle and thought that I could at least get through a few minutes and get a feel for it.

Five seconds after the start of the fight and one mistimed block later I get blown up by an Ultimate Cannon shot.

Guess I'm getting that Level 99 trophy sooner than later...

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    http://squareportal.net/2015/01/16/final-fantasy-kingdom-hearts-voice-actor-chikao-otsuka-passes-away/

Man, that's a bummer, but also kind of freaky since I recently talked with some people how we hope that Leonard Nimoy is still in good health by the time KHIII rolls out.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Man is it just me or is the latter part of Kingdom Hearts 1 super fucking hard.

It took me forever to get through Hollow Bastion and the End of the World destroys me. I die in like two hits. And I'm in the 50s

• Options
    It kinda is. The end of the world is really just the heartless in it. invisibles hit like TRUCKS.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Wow.

So beating the game on normal doesn't get you the beginner mode trophy.

You actually have to play and beat the game on beginner.

That is the worst.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh fuuuuuck that noise. Achievements like that should ALWAYS be retroactive. But really, KH1's achievements are bad anyway.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I believe they fixed that for 2.5. I think I got the Proud and Standard trophies when I finished Critical.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I beat KH1 on the 1.5 remix just a bit ago with about everything done but the atlantica and final gummi missions, because no. just no more of that (the gummi rewards are all cosmetic crap anyway, and the final thing is I assume a crown decoration).
    Now am treading into chains of memories territory and I understand the numbers rules, but why does it feel like enemy shadows just cheat and pull cards whenever they want, some of these fights my cards are just getting knocked away/canceled out and I have no idea what even happened.

Or I chose wonderland as floor 2 because I'm doing it the order I did in the first game and the flower things can just pull 6's out of no where whenever they feel like it, and the red cards in the first story room (which took me so many retries and luck to beat) pull out 7's like its nothing and you only have maybe 2-3 7s in your deck for attack cards if you're lucky. (I tried using sleights to beat their 7's, but there are a set of 3 black then 2 red, and then a set of 3 reds and 2 black and you just don't have the cards to throw out sleights and still have cards to hit the red cards and not be completely devastated by the 7's they throw out. In the end I got lucky on the last set and got a goofy 9 card and he spun threw them, but without that goofy card showing up I would of lost.

edit-
    Getting the hang of things a bit, made it past Larxene and I have a new hate. (why why why why why is there a map card limit of 99? Constantly deleting map cards is tedious)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    You know, with all the talk lately of which FF character should be inserted into KH3, I kind of failed to mention one of the more obvious and appropriate choices.

Picture this: Gilgamesh and Pete, the two most recurring bumbling "villain" characters from their respective franchises, teaming up against Sora and company.

I can imagine nothing but greatness from that concept.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Gilgamesh is due a stopover, I agree.

• Options
    Bonus Boss in Sword-In-The-Stone world.

He shows up wanting Excalibur, fails, and then decides he wants the Keyblade.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Bonus Boss in Sword-In-The-Stone world.

He shows up wanting Excalibur, fails, and then decides he wants the Keyblade.
    I'm going to be incredibly sad when this doesn't happen.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    wip__kh__sora_meets_gilgamesh_by_angel_wing101-d5xjfj2.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    No sweat; Sora's got this. In theory he fought a version of himself with four arms brandishing a sword in each hand so what's another two arms?

2.5 Re:Coded thoughts
    I played through both 358 and Re:Coded DS games and watched both HD movies so I already knew story-wise and quality-wise what's what. Still, I could not help but feel disappointed in Re:Coded's execution after watching it all. The first 75% of the story doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, the added action scenes didn't really contribute to the attempted improvement of the story, and the two new cutscenes that did add to the story (Maleficent/Pete final scene and the new secret scene) required some previous knowledge from DDD and possibly X[chi] to appreciate. As a matter of fact, the RE:Coded credits spoils who is in the new secret video so be aware. If it weren't for the fact you can get a few easy PSN trophies (if you're into that) by just hitting play at the main menu, walk away, come back in a few hours and zoom through the Characters list I would say stick with the DS version; at least there is some fun within the gameplay and the leveling/difficulty adjusting mechanics that will keep your interest up.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Yeah, Days is a good story that is behind some mediocre gameplay. re:Coded is wonderful gameplay surounding a not very great story.

• Options
    Gilgamesh randomly brandishing a Marvel Universe weapon without any exposition behind it would probably be the most awesome reference they could toss into KH3.

• Options
    The more I go through Critical Mode, the more I realize the bosses are pretty straightforward whereas the enemies give me the biggest trouble. For example, I actually beat Xaldin on my first try... well technically; Mickey had to revive me but after that I beat his face in along with those terrible sideburns. In fact the only one that recently killed me and got a game over was the Heartless giant at the end of Pride Lands, but that was a little due to greed, and the fact that he gets SUPER annoying when he's low on health.

Worst part is trying to grind up to reach recommended level for each world since EXP growth is lessened to an extent; not that it matters since it gives me time to level up forms while I do it. Getting close to being done with the game, actually, just a couple more worlds to finish and then it's off to the final world. Still got all the bonus bosses to fight though.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Gilgamesh randomly brandishing a Marvel Universe weapon without any exposition behind it would probably be the most awesome reference they could toss into KH3.

Lightsaber.

• Options
    And I finally got Second Chance; GG Critical mode. You had a good run, but I ain't putting up with your BS anymore; I can manage you now.

I really should just move on to the final world though; I'm already level 50 and at the very least I can start it before taking on some optional bosses (specifically the Absent whatever they're called).

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, Days is a good story that is behind some mediocre gameplay. re:Coded is wonderful gameplay surounding a not very great story.

Days is an interesting idea of a story hidden behind garbage filler for 90% of the game (the manga version is far, far superior on this one).

Re:Coded is a dumb story with some pretty cool experimental gameplay. I'd totally be into a Re:Coded 2 on 3DS featuring BBS and DDD world remixes and even crazier side trips (steal Roguelike gameplay from Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon! take rhythm gameplay from Theatrhythm!). And maybe they could make something out of Data Sora by doing that...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So I'm playing through KH2.5 Birth by Sleep first.

And I swear as far as Terra's arc goes I might as well start calling him Anakin.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I'm playing through KH2.5 Birth by Sleep first.

And I swear as far as Terra's arc goes I might as well start calling him Anakin.

Yup, pretty much.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Well,
    aside from the whole "actually going evil" bit.

Not sure if that makes for a better or worse character, but it's a significant deviation.

• Options
    The time when Terra causes a horrible problem and then just shrugs and leaves... and then Ven solves the problem in 5 minutes upon his arrival sums up perfectly why Terra is basically worthless trash (and Ven is the only half-interesting character in the game unfortunately).
    I'm speaking of the Sleeping Beauty situation.

• Options
    The time when Terra causes a horrible problem and then just shrugs and leaves... and then Ven solves the problem in 5 minutes upon his arrival sums up perfectly why Terra is basically worthless trash (and Ven is the only half-interesting character in the game unfortunately).
    I'm speaking of the Sleeping Beauty situation.
    Yeah, that's definitely the low point of his story.

I suppose one could try to spin it as him thinking himself incapable or unworthy of resolving the situation, possibly fitting his character arc about self-doubt and guilt, but that was just plain bad writing for him to not even attempt anything. Like, at least have him try and fail to breach the barrier around the valley, for Captain Justice's sake!

• Options
    I wonder who will replace Leonard Nimoy? Who could possibly come close to his voice?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I wonder who will replace Leonard Nimoy? Who could possibly come close to his voice?

It's going to be Zachary Quinto.

I'm not saying his voice is anywhere close to Nimoy's. But this is the only answer I will take.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Man I don't know how they could, but they'll probably make Corey Burton take over.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Playing Birth By Sleep right now...the urge to cosplay Aqua is strong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ok...why is fighting the masked boy with Mickey so hard? I'm lvl 7 and the world is lvl 4....

Edit: I literally just healed myself when I was close to dying. I saw my HP go back up, like normal. Then I got hit 2 seconds after, and died.
    37232140.jpg

Edit 2: Finally beat him after I leveled up to lvl 13 -_- On to Radiant Garden~

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    builderr0r wrote: »

Well, she is hands down the best Kingdom Hearts character.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    builderr0r wrote: »

Well, she is hands down the best Kingdom Hearts character.

Really? I think she's hands down the Keyblade wielder with the LEAST personality in the entire series. It was absolutely time for a heroic female lead in KH, but the only thing of interest from Aqua in the whole game is
    the VERY tail end when she's had nothing really happen to her, so she has to resolve the story (by default more than anything else). So she adds an interesting wrinkle to series lore, and then cowboys up to fight a tough boss. Then she sort of just disappears into the horribly explained "realm of darkness" that the series keeps referencing but never properly spells out the what and why of it.
    This ties into the fact that BBS was overall very poorly plotted and none of those characters have had a proper followup to correct things since though.